What is the main point of the metro system?

+

Gabidu

Forum regular
Hi everyone, what you think about the metro system?

I really found most of the additions 2.1 positive. The only thing that I still haven't quite understood the purpose, is the implementation of the metro system now. Especially since we have waypoints, which were originally in the game because the metro system had been cut.

It seems to me that waypoints and the metro system perform the same function in the game. If there's nothing significantly different in the metro system, people might just try it out to see how it works but continue using waypoints because they are more practical. I'm not complaining about the metro system being implemented, but in the stream, it wasn't clear why it exists alongside waypoints and what the differences are. Is it purely for role play?

From a gameplay perspective, based on what they showed, it doesn't seem to have a significantly different function from what the way point system already does. I believe it would make more sense to integrate these two travel systems, making the metro system and waypoints function similarly, if not the same. Waypoints could be bus transportation, and metro system, as the name suggests, for metro travel.

Gabidu

Forum regular
Well, it is a nice way to admire NC or travel while you are lazy to drive but don't want to break the immersion with fast travel.
Oh, I understand. The way it was presented created some mental confusion for me because it seems like two fast travel systems coexist within the same game. I thought maybe it wasn't just a travel system

It’s been my most anticipated feature, tbh.

We don’t have anything to truly experience the verticality of Night City — maybe one day we get access to flying vehicles, but until
then this is an awesome addition.

I have a feeling... and this is 100% Pure Speculation... That some secret/unique events will occur under certain situations on the metro. In the stream it looked like there was an NPC begging for eddies.... I'm assuming other random events can be triggered on the metro.

Plus, they were forced to finish/build out unused or partially used areas of the game in order to make this work, which means more to explore (With hopefully something meaningful to find)

I also think for a lot of people, it's something that was heavily featured in early promotion for the game so it's nice to see it working, even if it's not super practical.

I really like that they put the metro in the game.

Yes you are right, it's not practical to use it continually. But then, there are people who play without every using the fast travel system at all, instead they drive absolutely everywhere. And the metro ride actually even gives you the option to skip to your destination at any time if I understood that correctly.

Looking forward to it.

Gabidu

Forum regular
I really like that they put the metro in the game.

Yes you are right, it's not practical to use it continually. But then, there are people who play without every using the fast travel system at all, instead they drive absolutely everywhere. And the metro ride actually even gives you the option to skip to your destination at any time if I understood that correctly.

Looking forward to it.
Yes, from what you and other people said, the metro system reminded me of the fast travel system via taxi in GTA IV. Where you could go observing everything on the route or simply skip to your destination. From what I understand, perhaps this is the main difference to the way point system that already exists
Post automatically merged:

I have a feeling... and this is 100% Pure Speculation... That some secret/unique events will occur under certain situations on the metro. In the stream it looked like there was an NPC begging for eddies.... I'm assuming other random events can be triggered on the metro.

Plus, they were forced to finish/build out unused or partially used areas of the game in order to make this work, which means more to explore (With hopefully something meaningful to find)

I also think for a lot of people, it's something that was heavily featured in early promotion for the game so it's nice to see it working, even if it's not super practical.
Yes, I thought there might be something more related to what you said, not just a travel system where you only observe the city during the journey. It's great that they finally utilized all that cut content, but the way people reacted to it seems a bit exaggerated to me. From the perspective of deeply immersed players, it's a positive thing, but it's not as if it's something incredible. I hope there's more to it than just watching the journey – having possible random events and curious situations would be interesting. Otherwise, I imagine it'll be an addition that the vast majority of players will practically ignore, using it once to see what's new and then back to the way point system. Looks more like the idea is to be a "bonus" content, not practical thing that players will use in a normal gameplay situation

Last edited:
most likely they have a lot of stuff already made before cyberpunk releases. But most of it was stored due to the metro being cut.

Even if you only use it once in 300 hours of play. The point is that something like that has to be there if you always see these things driving. That's why Rockstar Games' open worlds are so damn good.

I think that the main point of it is to add a major immersive element that most of us expected to be in the game from the beginning based on early information, pervasive use in concept art, Metro stations scattered throughout the city, and a highly publicized Metro map linking it all together, and the absence of which was the subject of thousands of angry arguments on these forums in the months after the game's release, and which many of us kept berating the company to implement and finally gave up, assuming that it just never was going to happen. And then a lone modder proved that it could be done.

The point is to sit down, pop on the headphones, admire the scenery and enjoy the ride as one immerses themselves in the Night City life.

I personally never ever fast-travelled in the game, so this is ABSOLUTE PERFECTION in how I'm gonna be "fast travelling" in Night City now. Gonna be so freaking amazing, I can't wait! :D

It's a feature that was supposed to be in the game at release, see all the unfinished stations around, the trailer from 2018...

I also have the feeling you didn't pay much attention to the stream, it's not gonna be a mere "travel to point a to point b", they introduced gameplay features they didn't want to spoil, but apparently stuff will do happen as you move around on the trains. Exactly what I was expecting since launch, dynamic/random events happening, maybe small missions confined inside of the ncart. We will see in a few days.

To me it was totally unexpected and no doubt a welcome addition. It was pretty clear the feature was cut.
This game should have been released this year. Also, 2023, the year of the "Night City Holocaust".

Driving everywhere by car is jolly fun. Especially when the car is OC'd to hit 600+ km/h if you want it.

But, what I loved the metro for is that it guaranteed to get you to any point in zero time. Guess I don't mind the immersion that much over convenience. I can only hope that it still costs zero time to travel (yeah, probably not the case anymore).

I first used fast travel in the game about a month ago because I wanted to go back quickly and check something. I've been playing on and off for over two years and *never* saw the need to fast travel (I actually didn't know how it worked). So much of the games vibe comes from actually travelling through the world -- an incredible amount of effort went into the environmental design and it shows.

So I guess Metro is just a nice, immersive, way of getting around faster while still getting the vibe of actually being in the city rather than clicking destinations in a video game. With the bonus that you can watch the scenery go past rather than concentrate on not running over pedestrians.

Personally, I never thought it was particularly important compared to other things, but now that (it seems) they have pretty much got to the all-encompassing version of the game they originally set out to make, it's sort of the icing on the cake.

kinna

Forum regular
It's like in Skyrim I could just fast travel to whiterun or wherever but I refuse to. If I can't be bothered to walk or ride a horse somewhere, I use the "immersive" fast travel and pay for a cart ride. The only time in CP2077 I used the NCART was that one mission where you follow the bloodstains that lead to a station.

Driving everywhere by car is jolly fun. Especially when the car is OC'd to hit 600+ km/h if you want it.

But, what I loved the metro for is that it guaranteed to get you to any point in zero time. Guess I don't mind the immersion that much over convenience. I can only hope that it still costs zero time to travel (yeah, probably not the case anymore).
They stated, and showed, in the stream that you can use it as fast travel along with a functional skip - same as when riding with side characters during missions.

Top Bottom