Why do people forfeit before the game has even started?

+
This seems to happen most in Seasonal matches. Sometimes I welcome (for the challenge bonuses or just the win) it but generally I just scratch my head. Sometimes people might forfeit after at least one person has only played one card. Not sure what that is about either.

Whenever people forfeit before the match has started it is probably one of the following reasons:
They are using the same leader as you so they wont bother with a mirror match, Wrong deck, Wrong game mode or they accidentally went into matchmaking.

I often forfeit casual matches just to dodge annoying matchup. When i see MO or Lockdown or the most OP META deck, i'm out, there is no reason for me to go through the ordeal of playing against something i hate or can't beat.

Whenever people forfeit before the match has started it is probably one of the following reasons:
They are using the same leader as you so they wont bother with a mirror match, Wrong deck, Wrong game mode or they accidentally went into matchmaking.

This

I often forfeit casual matches just to dodge annoying matchup. When i see MO or Lockdown or the most OP META deck, i'm out, there is no reason for me to go through the ordeal of playing against something i hate or can't beat.

Ha! I'm playing seasonal mode at the moment and I have Lockdown. Early on when the season started I had a big winning percentage (by my standards). Now it's reversed. You should try play me...you'd be in with a shot!

All good reasons. I'd also add that sometimes people might see you get the exact right cards or get the exact wrong cards themselves and figure that this puts them at a bad enough starting point that they chose to not play at all.
Sometimes you might not be playing a particularly OP deck but based on your leader and the first card you play, the other player might misread you as using one and quit.
Perhaps they might only be interested in doing an artifact or spell quest and after they've used a few of those they quit to do it as fast as they can.
Or perhaps someone just walked in and rather than talk over the match they quit the game. But let's be honest, that last one is... unlikely.

I think a lot of this is player impatience: “I don’t like my draw; let me forfeit immediately to get a new game.” “I don’t like this matchup — I forfeit.” I’ve even seen recommendations to new players that to advance fast, they should only play on red coin!

I suppose this would upset me less if wins from forfeits counted as wins for quests, but they don’t.

I have been tempted to forfeit when I accidentally started with the wrong deck--a weak experimental deck, or one that is totally inappropriate for the seasonal rules (mostly I play seasonal matches, at the moment). That said, I (so far) have always played for a while, just to see what happens and also to not be an annoying &$@#! Possibly some others just forfeit in similar situations.

On ranked, when I go up a rank, I'll just try out fun decks on the ladder for a day or so.

Once I passed about rank 7 or so it became pretty obvious from leader selection what version of a meta deck I will be facing.

If I see you playing NG lockdown or Skellige Second Wind I sometimes just forfeit as I would rather not waste time sitting through the same sequence of cards in the same order ad infinitum.

Especially if I have seen them a lot in recent days.

On ranked, when I go up a rank, I'll just try out fun decks on the ladder for a day or so.

Once I passed about rank 7 or so it became pretty obvious from leader selection what version of a meta deck I will be facing.

If I see you playing NG lockdown or Skellige Second Wind I sometimes just forfeit as I would rather not waste time sitting through the same sequence of cards in the same order ad infinitum.

Especially if I have seen them a lot in recent days.

I see a lot (80%) of assimilate decks. Then Mystic Echo. I sometimes bail after having had NG X times in a row. I also see a fair number of MO decks that are mostly bronzes. I play them as they may be playing for the journey challenges or because I can usually play them quickly just by card dump. Interestingly, they do quite well if you play the game their way as in this particular season I don't have enough units to build up numbers.

Top Bottom