Why people hatin' on Cyberpunk v3.0?

+
Why people hatin' on Cyberpunk v3.0?

Hello!

So I'm an old school Cyberpunk 2020 player that only recently decided to pick up Cyberpunk again after many years and I've decided to run with the v3.0 rules because in my opinion it's Cyberpunk evolved. Killing cyberspace was brilliant, making Netrunners less god-like, the Alt-Cults give some wonderful variations, and overall I think the system is better. Not to say that 2020 isn't awesome, I still use all of the 2020 supplement books in my game, I just don't use the core rules. So yes I like v3.0 and I don't understand why everyone seems to avoid it like the plague. For example, when a new version of D&D comes out and everyone's up in arms and hates it but over a year or so they warm to it and use the new version, and a small minority stick to using the old rules. It seems the reverse in Cyberpunk, everyone is sticking with 2020 and a small minority are using v3.0. Just wondering why? Pull v3.0 apart and tell me why you don't play it. This isn't meant to be a 'v 3.0 is better than 2020' or vice versa thread, both rule sets are valid and equally epically awesome, just curious as to why other people don't play it and I wonder what your opinions are.

Hmmm.. Where did we put this discussion again? Anyway.

First, I did not like the art. I put it first, but that's because it's the first thing you see. The green, the dolls, no.

Second, details like turning cyberware into pretty silver bands made me slightly nauseous.

Third, I like, I really like the FNFF rules. They are quite good. They have a few flaws, but those are fixable. My favourite fix is Interlock Unlimited, which I can't link because the site is down right now, but @wisdom000 can send you a copy. They clean up the Role issues, fix the OP martial arts damage and even make a pass at defining the actions system. Tragically, the author is kind of a, well, I don't want to say here. He's not a fan of William Gibson, let's just put it that way.

Anyway, V3 uses Fuzion. No.

What else. Dolls. I know I mentioned art, but dolls. Ugh.

Mostly, it takes the Edge off the game and takes you away from the Street. Or, I guess, takes the Street away from you. It's actually a pretty cool post-human science fiction game, kind of an ahead-of-its-time version of the excellent Eclipse Phase in that way, but it lacks both Cyber and Punk.

There's lots I like, too, (Corpore Metal rocked. I liked the wiping out the Net - very bold) but those are the big bits I don't like that I can think of right now.

It has some good ideas. And it's good as post-cyberpunk, remembers me a bit of diamond age. But it's not cyberpunk. It's hardly even believable as a post-cyberpunk from 2020 point of view; it seems that it originated from another universe..

I personally don't like it because IMO it seems like a departure from the previous edition, it transitioned to transhumanism in a bit forced way rather than evolving to it . You might have common themes and stories, but for me it doesn't feel the same.

We all agree that CP200 rules are far from perfect, but v3.0 doesn't seem to fix nothing.

I looked at it, I saw the art and laughed, I read the content and cried swearing to never touch a V3 book again. I haven't touched one, not to even burn it.

It's really just a matter of personal taste.
Some folks think D&D is the perfect RPG, others think it's trash.
Same with v3.0.

Thanks for all your comments! I agree that the art is horrible, what on earth where they thinking? And I agree that it's gone into transhumanism rather that CyberPunk. I wonder what Mr Pond thinks of his fans hating his new edition of CyberPunk? He must be kinda gutted. Here's hoping there might be a new version that doesn't suck too hard in the works. I can't seem to find anything but rumours, so as far as we know there isn't a new version he's working on, right?

Yes. It must have been very hard for Mr. Pondsmith. To work for months and years on something your fanbase cries out for and then have a substantial portion of that fanbase reject your work...ugh. I can only imagine.

There is Chrome 5 in the works, which will transition from Chrome 4 and Firestorm, to Cyberpunk 2077. Well, will help transition.

Mike is busy right now getting Mekton Zero out the door. It's looking good, but I'm still not a huge fan of the art. World setting is satisfyingly rich, though.

well, it might have taken 8 years to go from announcement to release, but I'm highly doubtful that even a year worth of actual effort went into that pile of shit. the art was terrible, and probably the laziest option to fill page space they could come up with. the rules were a copy paste of fusion rules... except for the parts where they copy pasted from cp 2020 without even updating for the change to fusion. the editing was slap dash, and some MAJOR things got overlooked. i recall being the first one credited in the errata page (which i would link if the fucking thing wasn't offline) because i shot them an e-mail asking... so how much does the nomad giri gear cost? it later got expanded to include a writeup about how altcult gear could never be bought/sold/traded under any circumstances... cus reasons. then came the mutating fish men and the magical paper eating nanno shit and.... cyberpunk is suppose to be light scifi, the world 20 minutes into the future. 203x was pure fantasy, start to finish, and badly produced fantasy at that. we were kept waiting 8 years for a new cyberpunk game and what we got was a fantasy game that looked like an assignment thrown together the night before it was due. THAT is why the hate, and it deserves every ounce of it.

I really didn't liked the setting, it departed too much from the dark, dirty street side of Cyberpunk 2020, bringed a lot of useless stuff,etc...
Well everything said above in fact, Cyberpunk 2020 was CYBERPUNK, Cyberpunk v3 was, as said by Eraser just some crappy-half-assed Fantasy/Sci-fi mix.

So please CDPR, I don't want anything from V3 in 2077.

Hello!

So I'm an old school Cyberpunk 2020 player that only recently decided to pick up Cyberpunk again after many years and I've decided to run with the v3.0 rules because in my opinion it's Cyberpunk evolved. Killing cyberspace was brilliant, making Netrunners less god-like, the Alt-Cults give some wonderful variations, and overall I think the system is better. Not to say that 2020 isn't awesome, I still use all of the 2020 supplement books in my game, I just don't use the core rules. So yes I like v3.0 and I don't understand why everyone seems to avoid it like the plague. For example, when a new version of D&D comes out and everyone's up in arms and hates it but over a year or so they warm to it and use the new version, and a small minority stick to using the old rules. It seems the reverse in Cyberpunk, everyone is sticking with 2020 and a small minority are using v3.0. Just wondering why? Pull v3.0 apart and tell me why you don't play it. This isn't meant to be a 'v 3.0 is better than 2020' or vice versa thread, both rule sets are valid and equally epically awesome, just curious as to why other people don't play it and I wonder what your opinions are.

Well, thats a mighty big can of worms you have opened....

Yes. It must have been very hard for Mr. Pondsmith. To work for months and years on something your fanbase cries out for and then have a substantial portion of that fanbase reject your work...ugh. I can only imagine.

Well, the thing is, it's not like he had no clue how fans were going to react, every tidbit he posted about it had fans backing waya or up in arms... even among the most loyal of his base, myself included, were telling him the direction he was going was not what anyone wanted... and was not a alogical continuation of the "Verse"...

I mean seriously, when 2020 was still being published, there were hundreds of sites, including several mega sites, worth or original fan material supporting the game. It was seriously loved by it's fans. To my knowledge, and I would know, there has never been even one fansite for V3, not one... hell Synnnabar and F.A.T.A.L. have fansites... the only thing that even comes close was a short lived yahoo group.

cyberpunk is suppose to be light scifi, the world 20 minutes into the future. 203x was pure fantasy, start to finish, and badly produced fantasy at that. we were kept waiting 8 years for a new cyberpunk game and what we got was a fantasy game that looked like an assignment thrown together the night before it was due. THAT is why the hate, and it deserves every ounce of it.

I have long maintained that the setting was interesting, it was neat, but it damn sure was not Cyberpunk, nor any reasonable extension of the Cyberpunk Universe, Cybergenerations was more believable and a damn sight less silly, and it was a game about adolescents with super powers...

I hated pretty much everything about V3, the alt-cults, all of them, in fact he very idea of them.... The nanite cyber arm bracelet thingies... the datakrash, the immeasurably nonsensical paper virues, and the equally nonsensical "suddenly no one knows what year it is and people thing the Nazi's rode dinosaurs to conquer the world before the UN showed up to un-nazi shit..."

And Fuzion....... was a trainwreck... they ingored all the bits of Interlock that actually needed fixing, and instead focused on making it... I dunno, more bland it seemed. It was an attempt to mix the Hero System with Interlock, and just made things worse... and dissapointed fans of both systems...

And finally there is the art... what wasn't horrible dolls, was horrible poser art....

So please CDPR, I don't want anything from V3 in 2077.

A-men and pass the kibble....

hell Synnnabar and F.A.T.A.L. have fansites...

mods... mods... MOOOOOOOOODS! wisdom has made mention of the game that shall not be named. as is our custom, i demand he receive the requisite 4D10 lashes with the penetrater (from saints row) and then make an "anal circumference" check against the same.

"suddenly no one knows what year it is and people thing the Nazi's rode dinosaurs to conquer the world before the UN showed up to un-nazi shit..."

i see what you did there ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DueSvcjn810

Last edited by a moderator:
mods... mods... MOOOOOOOOODS! wisdom has made mention of the game that shall not be named. as is our custom, i demand he receive the requisite 4D10 lashes with the penetrater (from saints row) and then make an "anal circumference" check against the same.

Yeah, @wisdom000. Now you need punishing. We don't mention IT. No one mentions IT. What if you summon...IT's creator?! You know he is still around..somewhere...

So, punishing. I'm sure we'll think of something. If you keep mentioning IT, well...eventually I'll worm my evil canadian way into CDPR's good graces and they will trust me. Then, THEN..I will convince them that driveable vehicles are not a cyberpunk staple. Ha ha ha. HAHAHAHAH. MUWAHAHAHAHAH!

Yeah, @wisdom000. Now you need punishing. We don't mention IT. No one mentions IT. What if you summon...IT's creator?! You know he is still around..somewhere...

So, punishing. I'm sure we'll think of something. If you keep mentioning IT, well...eventually I'll worm my evil canadian way into CDPR's good graces and they will trust me. Then, THEN..I will convince them that driveable vehicles are not a cyberpunk staple. Ha ha ha. HAHAHAHAH. MUWAHAHAHAHAH!

I didn't know we didn't mention it here, because no one had mentioned it...

But if you do that, in fact if driveable vehicles are not added, then I will be sure to make sure anal circumference, vaginal depth, and orifice tensile strength are turned into Cyberpunk stats...

I didn't know we didn't mention it here, because no one had mentioned it...

But if you do that, in fact if driveable vehicles are not added, then I will be sure to make sure anal circumference, vaginal depth, and orifice tensile strength are turned into Cyberpunk stats...

Probably less painful than having the IT-Maker show up here.

Eraser7278 you are even more guilty then Wisdom as you quoted him stating the dreaded game name a second time, even using the quote system to indicate proof of someoens crime is an even greater crime in this case lol.

*For a change Suhiir shows discretion and stays outta it ... even I can be smart once in a blue moon*

I did not like the way it forced characters to pick a faction right from the start. That forced to into a certain type of enhancements. A certain mindset, and character path. If I am remembering correctly. Did not mind the parts of Fuzion I read. Of course just reading the book was hard with all the dolls. One of the things I like best about Cyberpunk 2020 is the character freedom. By the book you pick a special ability and that gives you a role and career skills to start. From there the character can go anywhere. Climb to the heights of society, the depths of depravity, or even change themselves to look like a bunny. I just did not get that sense of freedom from V3, or cybergen for that matter.

Top Bottom