Will Witcher 3 be DRM-free on Steam?

+
Will Witcher 3 be DRM-free on Steam?

I'm really curious if Witcher 3 will be DRM-free on Steam. It would be pretty strange if CDPR sold the game on Steam with DRM given their anti-DRM crusade. On the other hand, DRM-freeness is their prime marketing approach for GOG so they might want to push people to buy the game on GOG by adding DRM to the Steam version. But then again it would be against their basic values and I doubt it...

And for those of you who didn't already know yet: yes, games can be DRM-free on Steam. In fact, many games are. You only need the Steam client to download these game (similar to the GOG downloader). Once that is done you can play them without the client and you can copy the game filed whereever you want them to be (even to different PCs of course).

Here you can find the full, extensive list of DRM-free games on Steam: http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

Witcher 3 would be a welcomed addition to the list imo. I will definitely get a Steam version on top of my physical CE so I have a personal interest here as well (I still hope that a Steam key will be included in the CE package...) ;)

Last edited:
A Steam game is always a Steam game. It needs to be activated on Steam. Once activated i think it works very much the same which you can play offline.

A Steam game is always a Steam game. It needs to be activated on Steam. Once activated i think it works very much the same which you can play offline.
What's the difference between

1) buying the game on GOG and download it from the GOG page (with GOG downloader)

and

2) buying the game on Steam and download it from the Steam page (with Steam client)?

In both cases you have to visit the respective site/platform and you can only download the game files there. You need an account to buy games in both cases. I don't think there is a big difference here given you can play the game without the Steam client and you can copy your game files to any location of your choice which is absolutely possible on Steam as well.

All of the games on GOG are DRM free as far as I know and you get bonus stuff when buying them, stuff like wallpapers, soundtrack, manual and so on. Since GOG also has CDPR as their parent company, they also get some of the revenue and it's a great way to support a DRM free distribution platform and CDPR all in one. I'd say go for GOG but it's up to you. As stated above, Steam is DRM in itself and for me at least, it tends to act buggy in offline mode, it wouldn't even start at one point. With GOG you get an installer and that's it, you get to launch the game directly through its folder, rather than launching steam and then the game.

1) buying the game on GOG and download it from the GOG page (with GOG downloader)

and

2) buying the game on Steam and download it from the Steam page (with Steam client)?

Uhh, with Steam you obviously need to run the Steam client whenever you want to play it.

Well STEAM still annoys the shit out of me with forced Patching for the Game i have there ... Deus Ex HR to be correct.
Good i forced STEAM permanent offline so SCREW you Valve no hardware readings and playstatistics from my PC! :/

Buying W3 on STEAM or register it in STEAM binds your copy of W3 to your Steam Account ... which is DRM ;)

GoG instead doesn t bind the gamecopys to the account if you choose so... i remember it right... and the same
counts for GoG Galaxy if i all got right there ;)

Please... do not use these names in my presence to often..... that includes all those "fancy custumor *cough* services*!
@wichat
Would you be so kind my lady?

Steam itself is DRMed (for example for installation), so if you want a DRM-free release, use GOG.

and

The difference is that when you back up your game with GOG - you get a normal package which doesn't depend on GOG. So you can install it any time where you want to (even if GOG is closed down tomorrow). When you back up your game with Steam, you get a weird image which requires Steam to reinstall it. That's clearly DRM.

Last edited:
For this game, I don't know why anyone would prefer to buy it through Steam. Buying from GOG will get you a huge discount if you own the previous games, extra pre order goodies, and (most importantly) makes sure all the money goes to the CDP family instead 30% going to Steam.

If you still insist on buying through Steam then you may end up with a gog key anyway, I think thats what they've done for the other games.

Steam DRM is not annoying or interfering with proper settings, it's just anti-sociopathic :) And it looks like GOG Galaxy brings more social features in future as well.
So, I don't see any reason to hate Steam.

P.S.: pre-ordered TW3 in both stores, TW1 and TW2 were backuped to GOG from Steam.

Steam itself is DRMed (for example for installation), so if you want a DRM-free release, use GOG.

The difference is that when you back up your game with GOG - you get a normal package which doesn't depend on GOG. So you can install it any time where you want to (even if GOG is closed down tomorrow). When you back up your game with Steam, you get a weird image which requires Steam to reinstall it. That's clearly DRM.
That's wrong. Once you've downloaded a DRM-free game on Steam you don't need the Steam client EVER again. You can move the files freely and even put them on another PC without being forced to start the Steam client.

@thislsmadness
Reasons:
  • family sharing
  • in-house streaming
  • community features
  • achievements
  • game tracking
  • easy modding
  • auto-patching
  • add-in (e.g. for screenshots or tutorials/guides)
  • easy chatting with friends

Imo there is no reason to buy Witcher 3 on GOG right now (apart from the price and that you directly finance CDP). GOG Galaxy might add some features in the future but still it won't offer feature parity with Steam or even go further. So my choice will be Steam.

@Daywalker30
Sorry, but this is just plain wrong. Valve/Steam don't force publishers to put DRM on their games. It's up to the publisher 100%. Every game on the list I've provided in the first post here don't need the Steam client to be able to run. Let's take a particular example: take Crusader Kings II (from Paradox Entertainment) and run the exe. Steam won't start if it doesn't already run. Please, get your facts straight before making false claims here. ;)

Last edited:
Please... do not use these names in my presence to often..... that includes all those "fancy custumor *cough* services*!
@wichat
Would you be so kind my lady?

Yes, sir. As you wish sir.

Well STEAM still annoys the shit out of me with forced Patching for the Game i have there ... Deus Ex HR to be correct.
Good i forced STEAM permanent offline so SCREW you Valve no hardware readings and playstatistics from my PC! :/
You can easily disable auto-patching in Steam...and a DRM-free game on Steam can be played without even letting the Steam client run. That's the whole point of the topic, you know...

Buying W3 on STEAM or register it in STEAM binds your copy of W3 to your Steam Account ... which is DRM ;)
Witcher 3 is also bound to your GOG account. You're forbidden to sell your digital Witcher 3 copy on GOG as well (look in the EULA)...

GoG instead doesn t bind the gamecopys to the account if you choose so... i remember it right... and the same
counts for GoG Galaxy if i all got right there ;)
This is wrong.

I see no reason to buy the game from steam. cdproject red stated that thy will sell drm free games where thy can have control over it. the question is what valve demand for publishing the game on steam. i think that buying the game on GOG is the best solution, you will receive DRM free game with a lot of benefits(soundtrack and such) and directly support CDprojekt red

Top Bottom