Witcher 3 Borderless Window Position

+
Is there a way to specify the start position of the window upon launch?

For some weird reason, this seems to be one of the few games you can't click the maximize button in windowed mode, so what I tried was setting a custom resolution in user.settings to 1920x1040 (allowing for the 40 pixels for the windows taskbar, since my native resolution runs at 1920x1080. This works for games like Skyrim, Fallout 4, etc.

But Witcher 3 does something weird when you do this...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ycusf8h8wkknbh/witcher3problem.png?dl=0

The resolution I set in user.settings appears to be fine, the left/right orientation is perfect, but for some weird reason the game wants to start the window about 40-50 pixels down from the top and so those 40-50 pixels disappear underneath the taskbar.

If I could find the setting that lets you set the window's start position, I could set it at 0,0 and everything would be perfect. You can't drag the window because in borderless window, there's no border to grab with the mouse cursor and the game probably wouldn't remember where you had the window anyways.

It's getting rather annoying how many games do not allow you to click the maximize button. I wouldn't mind having a border, but again, no maximize button and I don't feel like trying to calculate how many pixels the border takes up ontop of the taskbar, and I need the taskbar visible at all times but yet I don't want this tiny little window with lots of wasted space.

It's not working how you think.
I managed a similar thing to you, but reduced the height from 1440, my full screen size, to 1040.
leaving width @ the 2560 Of my full screen, and set the Windowed mode.

The game opens mid screen, an equal distance from Top, and Bottom.
Looking at your picture, it's a little hard to tell, but those black borders look almost the same size, so I doubt there's much hidden by the Taskbar, and tweaking the values slightly would fix that.

You say your OK with a border, which is basically the approximate size of your Taskbar, and thus also the matching size, of the top missing space, when using the Borderless setting.

A little bit of testing should give you the correct value, I've seen 40 suggested, so try a height of 1000, and in Borderless Window Mode, to start with

I can't to understand why you must "Always" see your Taskbar. If it's for notifications, can't you set them as a popup instead?
Not that I'm an expert, I turn all notifications off, and I have Three monitors anyway, so my Taskbar's on another screen.

One of those buttons you see there flashes when there is activity and I need to be able to see that.

However, I DID get it working, using a third party app:

I was able to get it to work like this, and yes, it was working exactly how I thought; it was doing 1920x1040 just fine, but the window's start position was something like 0,50 or something instead of 0,0.

Anyhow this app fixes it so that the game fills the whole screen except the taskbar without a border, so that's awesome!

It's somewhat annoying to have to run this app before running the game, but meh. I can deal with that. At least I got it working.

So that's awesome. This app also forces the mouse cursor to stay in the window unless you alt+tab out of it so that's great, too!

I've played the game for about 6 hours and there's no instability/lag/slowdowns/etc that I can detect.

Top Bottom