Witcher series for Netflix confirmed!

+
I finally broke down and got Netflix 30 day free trial to watch this and Altered Carbon. Just finished Episode 6. I really like it so far. It's different sure than the books, but I think they hit the correct themes for the most part. Definitely would watch more in the future unless the last two episodes are terrible. I think Geralt, Dandelion, and Yennefer are all very well done. Ciri I have a bit more mixed feelings about ... but Ciri isn't especially interesting in the short stories themselves. Definitely willing to give the actress and character time to develop when she isn't either (a) at Court or (b) running for her life.

Last edited:
[Keeping Netflix for] 30 days... HAH! That's what I said 2 years ago.
1578950525088.png

I finished the show last night and I gotta say... coulda been better.

The timeline was so frustrating. Some characters were in the present while some were in the past. The show never bothers to tell you because they're trying to surprise you later with the time jumbling. Which really just ends up feeling like someone having to explain the punchline of a bad joke to you. You now understand the joke, but it wasn't told well in the first place so you don't get to feel what the joke was supposed to make you feel.

Yen's story was good. She developed as a character and had a drive to move her plot forward. Unfortunately, it wasn't as good as it could have been because so much of the show was devoted to Geralt doing side quests and Ciri running around the woods aimlessly searching for Geralt.

And there were so many flashbacks that it seems like they chose the wrong story to tell.

I was so into it I watched the whole thing. Gonna watch it all again just before the new season pops. It was awesome!

The interesting part is that Sapkowski himself said he liked it. Personally, I think they could benefit from bigger budget and more thorough job. But for what they made I don't think it's crap series.

I watched "The Witcher" series (the Netflix one ofcourse ;) ). Well ... I'm not delighted, but I'm not disappointed either. It's hard for me to write anything specific, because the quality of the series surprised me. It's better where I expected it to be weak. And it disappoints where I expected good quality.

I basically have three complaints.

First of all - COLORS. Seriously, are there any tax discounts for desaturated colors in the US?

Secondly - narrative chaos. The editor was drunk? Three threads. Each in a different period of time. Who came to the conclusion that this is a good idea? Probably the drunk editor ...

Thirdly - references to fairy tales (Grimm, Andersen etc., yup, Sapkowski loved to refer to the classics in his stories), which were the strong point of Sapkowski's stories, were completly and violently castrated. I don't understand why. In the first episode, it was obvious to reference to Snow White.

TLDR:
Wonderful cast. Good music. I liked it, wants more, but after fixing the mistakes.

I actually had no problem with colors. Oversaturation is not a good thing.
Post automatically merged:

Thirdly - references to fairy tales (Grimm, Andersen etc., yup, Sapkowski loved to refer to the classics in his stories), which were the strong point of Sapkowski's stories, were completly and

Very good point. Yes, I was surprised that they totally gutted that connection. Most viewers probably didn't get it at all.

It seems that there will be some changes for season 2 with some armor https://redanianintelligence.com/20...-directors-totally-different-nilfgaard-armor/.

In regards to season 1 and the jumbled timeline I read somewhere that when the editing began for the stories they wanted to tell they would wind up with 95 minutes of finished content to fill in the space of 60 minutes and therefore a lot of it wound up on the cutting room floor which could have impacted the storytelling and confusion of the timeline quite a bit . Aha found it https://www.vulture.com/2020/01/the-witcher-lauren-schmidt-hissrich-interview-season-2.html

I definitely think the jumbled timeline was a good choice in order to properly introduce our three protagonists. But I can definitely understand how it would have been confusing, especially for anyone who has no experience with The Witcher universe at all. However, now that everyone is caught up with each other at the end of S1, I feel like S2 and on will be 1 timeline with some flashbacks perhaps.

However, now that everyone is caught up with each other at the end of S1, I feel like S2 and on will be 1 timeline with some flashbacks perhaps.

I agree. They introduced viewers to history as they could, now it can only be better.

Also I hope the new costume designer has a little more imagination;)

I definitely think the jumbled timeline was a good choice in order to properly introduce our three protagonists. But I can definitely understand how it would have been confusing, especially for anyone who has no experience with The Witcher universe at all.

Yeah, it wasn't really possible to introduce those three characters the way they did without shifting the time lines around. Speaking for myself, the shifts weren't an issue. It's the way they were done.

There is a fine line between shifting enough to provide varying perspectives, additional variety and showcase different characters and doing it too much, too quickly. As the show progressed it roamed a bit too close to the latter. You'd be invested in a sequence and all of a sudden it would hop to a completely different point in time. The circumstances would take a 180 along with the shift. Incidentally, it greatly diminished the continuity and cohesion.

The other concern was the show time dedicated to tying the time line shifts together. A non significant amount of time was spent doing this in the later episodes. Here is Geralt, Ciri and Yen in isolation. A few bits and pieces here setup the narrative to indicate those paths will converge at a later point. As those points were reached and toward the end of the show it rehashed those bits and pieces. When you only have eight episodes it's asking a lot to pull this off. As a result cuts were probably made in the earlier portions of the show.

It came off as the writers trying to be cute and deliver some awe inspiring punchline. Instead they could have made the shifts more obvious and replaced the tying together with more content for the stories they were attempting to tell. The links posted above sure do sound like season two will get away from both problems. Although, I doubt recognition of either issue deserves the credit there.

In defense of the show, it's not the first series with either problem. I seem to recall GOT suffered heavily from the first issue towards the tail end. The later seasons jumped around quite a lot. They didn't know when to stop moving :).

Jumping around timelines without telling the audience doesn't make it challenging - it makes it a trick. It's like a jump scare in a horror movie. "haha fooled you! Bet you didn't see that coming! :) "

The jumbled timelines doesn't make it interesting or a mystery. It just makes it frustrating.

It is absolutely possible to introduce your main characters in a linear fashion that doesn't make your audience think they've somehow accidentally skipped an episode and feel lost when they find that they haven't.

Having to sit through enough episodes to finally be explained what's going on isn't entertaining, it's simply just bad writing. People who have watched the show should never have to tell new watchers "oh, just keep watching. Sit through the next few episodes and then it'll make sense."

No one should ever have to 'sit through' episodes of the show you have written.

I will be forever sad that these well-written characters had such a bad plot. And I am hoping season two will be better.

Jumping around timelines without telling the audience doesn't make it challenging - it makes it a trick. It's like a jump scare in a horror movie. "haha fooled you! Bet you didn't see that coming! :) "

they where telling you though, in what is called a diegetic manner, characters reference the same events in different scenes to suggest when they are.

Is this done well enough to not seem like some sort of shit puzzle? not quite no. but it's not meant to be a puzzle, they where just trying to be subtle about it.

Top Bottom