We're working on an editor for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt!

+

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED

We’re thrilled to announce that we're working on a mod editor for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt!

This editor is a reworked version of the REDengine 3 editor that we used to create the game — it will allow you to create your own experiences in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt by making something completely new or editing existing quests and content.

The editor will be available for free for all owners of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on PC. We're planning to make it happen in 2024.

We're sure you'd love to know more, but for now we ask for your patience as we'll have more to share next year.

Thank you so freaking much!!!
TW2 REDkit is still one of the best modding tools I've ever seen and that makes me really excited about this.
I really hope we get a REDkit for Cyberpunk too cuz REDmod isn't enough.

Will it be exclusively on PC or will it be acessible on the Xbox???? Iwould just love to see it for console!
PC only:

Games are being made on PC, so developer tools are PC only, designed to work with keyboard and mouse (and maybe graphics tablets for artists, but they probably use 3rd party tools).
This editor is a reworked version of the REDengine 3 editor that we used to create the game
It's the same with other game engines - you don't have Unreal Engine, Unity or even Creation Kit (Bethesda games) for consoles. Consoles probably wouldn't even let you use all the loose files you work with in such tools.

Will it be exclusively on PC or will it be acessible on the Xbox???? Iwould just love to see it for console!
Explain to me how do you want to use a modding kit on Xbox? That's like saying I want to make games with Unreal engine on my gaming console.
I think you are confusing the terms modding tool and mod support.

Likely PC only because the PC version has a compile at runtime scripting engine that senses when changes are made and then recompiles the scripts. The console version likely have the scripts "pre-baked" and they can't be easily changed. When they added all the PC mods to Next Gen that wasn't for the PC users that was for the consoles users who had no way of getting them implemented into the game.

Mamma Mia! it's Christmas time too early! :cry: :oops:
Time to party like it's 2015! :disapprove:

@Vattier
Can you share anything about it at all? - will it have functionalities like:
- 3D viewport
- dialogue editor
- AEs (or Witcher 3's equivalent) - for playing music, setting lights,...
- map editor (editing existing maps, creating new maps)
- editors for Entities - like weapons, NPCs, items, consumables, activables,...
- music editor (import, export)

Will it be similar to the Redkit for Witcher 2?
Can you share a few screenshots?
Does it somehow integrate/is based on Wolvenkit? - Or is it a completely standalone build?
Will it cover most of the functionalities present in the game?

What about the specs - I am mostly curious about space usage - do you have any estimate of how much will it take?
(Does it unpack the whole game? If so, it would be tenths of GBs...?)

@Vattier said that "This editor is a reworked version of the REDengine 3" so I'm guessing this will be the second REDkit we've been waiting for all these years.
Yeah, I also hope for that, but I still wanted to clarify the extent :)
A user-friendly, simplified, modding-focused 3D editor with organized tools would be truly awesome.

If so, I humbly propose this loading screen:
redkit_logo.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the OT. I am for sure grateful for anything new about The Witcher 3 however does it mean any further performance improvements and patches are compretely dead? Many players are curious. Many thanks in advance for clarification.

That's awesome!

I'm looking forward to trying it out, and seeing what people with genuine talent make with it.

But delivering "Redkit" in one year or less sounds ambitious.
(From the first post I got the impression that the project is in the beginning.)
CDPR were trying to make it happen a few times in the past...what changed?

Last edited:
I use a Mac and play the Witcher games using Crossover. I understand the editor won’t work on Mac but it’d be great if it could work with Crossover . Not sure how much work that would be. The other thing I’d love to see is the new editor being a little easier to use than the last Redkit. Failing that some great tutorials!

But delivering "Redkit" in one year or less sounds ambitious.
(From the first post I got the impression that the project is in the beginning.)
CDPR were trying to make it happen a few times in the past...what changed?

What changed? The Red Engine is now officially retired with the release of Phantom Liberty would be my educated guess.

Top Bottom