Multiplayer?

+
Multiplayer?

Haven't seen anyone talk about this, I would assume with how the board game is designed that we would have a form of this. Maybe something like Darksouls where people can join in to help, or even have one or two people that can join your world and just the three of you can move around the world and interact with things. For me personally I don't care much about it however to be able to play with a friend or two and share the experience would be cool.

Would love to hear what other ways they might implement multiplayer if they go down that road.

We do have one or two threads on this subject, but Sard/other mods may or may not merge it, I don't know.

As far as what I want from multiplayer goes, I'll just quote myself from the "your fears for the game" thread, since it applies.

Speaking of multiplayer... One of my main fears is that the game's multiplayer encroaches on the singleplayer experience too much, either through the diversion of resources or by directly making it an inferior experience down the road (GTA Online). The most I want to see is either a Dark Souls-like, unintrusive, opt-in system or a social hub. Nothing more. CDPR knows better than anyone they can make a stupid amount of money by not following the "GAEMS R SO XPENSIVE 2 MAKE AND NEED MICROTRANSACTIONS AND MULTIPLAAAYER TO SUCED" trend.

Ideally, if I were designing the game, it would have no multiplayer at all. Zero. Zilch. Purely single player experience. I see no good reason (Especially not with the success of their past singleplayer games) to implement such a mode or mechanic. CDPR cannot please everyone and I wish they wouldn't try.

But if it must exist, I want something nonintrusive. I want something I can completely and totally ignore and I want something that isn't going to divert many resources from the singleplayer game's development.

AsadaShino0821;n10766191 said:
Hope to have a cooperative game

It would be very interesting, but I don't think they are planning a COOP game. Maybe, as OP said, we will see some Dark Souls multiplayer like.

I'd like to be able to hire people to help me in mission, or kill some players (you're playing a corporate, gain level, have stats of player messing with your corporation and would pay players to track tjem down and kill them), etc...
Those kind of multiplayer elements would fit with Cyberpunk and could be pretty fun.

BeJesse;n10403502 said:
Haven't seen anyone talk about this
There have been many times this topic has come up in these forums but those are some very old threads.

For my thoughts, something like Saints Row series, the main story game is mostly separate but you can have a friend drop in and help with a particular mission, something similar to your dark souls but not so convulated...gods I hate the co-op system in the Souls series.

linoano;n10911281 said:
but I don't think they are planning a COOP game

Only thing known about multiplayer is that it will be there and it is supposed to be seamless this from the wording of a grant from the Polish government to CDPR to make 2077. And I hope it's nothing like Dark Souls as that co-op system is a pain.

Snowflakez;n10403512 said:
I see no good reason

I hope they make 2077 a full blown MMO. :p

walkingdarkly;n10913151 said:
There have been many times this topic has come up in these forums but those are some very old threads.

For my thoughts, something like Saints Row series, the main story game is mostly separate but you can have a friend drop in and help with a particular mission, something similar to your dark souls but not so convulated...gods I hate the co-op system in the Souls series.

Only thing known about multiplayer is that it will be there and it is supposed to be seamless this from the wording of a grant from the Polish government to CDPR to make 2077. And I hope it's nothing like Dark Souls as that co-op system is a pain.

I hope they make 2077 a full blown MMO. :p

To be fair to myself, that was posted about 3 months ago. My thoughts on multiplayer have been tempered over time. I'm completely fine with it, so long as it's an optional mode that doesn't affect me at all (in other words, no forced integration like Dark Souls - not unless I opt-in).

I won't actively campaign against it much anymore, unless somebody genuinely asks for something as over-the-top as your sarcastic example.

The coop suggestion you came up with sounds fine to me. I guess my question would be how is that handled from a story perspective? I have played coop SR3 but I can't remember the details. The second player is essentially ignored in cutscenes, right?

If so, wouldn't that feel a bit weird for a story-heavy game?

Snowflakez;n10913161 said:
The coop suggestion you came up with sounds fine to me. I guess my question would be how is that handled from a story perspective? I have played coop SR3 but I can't remember the details. The second player is essentially ignored in cutscenes, right?

They said in interviews that bars and clubs (or at least, some of them), may be linked to online.
Now, we can push the thing further and imagine that's how you may interfere with other players (probably specific quests designed ONLY for multiplayer, etc...), that would be totaly out of the Solo campaign.
Even then, maybe those missions would incluse players from two sides (like you'd have to sneak in a corporation, and players would have to prevent you from doing it, etc...)

I could see the "interference" in your game being after you complete the game, with a fully fleshed character.
Having someone coming in your game and pissing you off while you're about 2hours in the game (when he's a badass with 50hours of game on his back), sounds bad on a lot of level and would incite useless trolling (just like GTA online, when you start it and overpowered people kill you over and over, it's boring and just make people quit the game, not fun at all).

There are a lot of stuff that could be done like this, they even say when they started working on it "You'll be able to play the same role twice and have a totally different experience", meaning that it would have a lot of replay value, so probably they could use that to "create" good character you could use online (On the same idea, if you'd need people to do a heist at Militech, you wouldn't want a noob with a crappy gun and 5hours of game behind him).

Maelcom404;n10913451 said:
They said in interviews that bars and clubs (or at least, some of them), may be linked to online.

As someone that plays games well beyond the point where the story is finished and my character is a high level, I'd be infuriated if my gameplay was interrupted by other players regardless of my level. Unless I opt-in, people shouldn't be "crashing" my party, so to speak.

I have played coop SR3 but I can't remember the details. The second player is essentially ignored in cutscenes, right?

Indeed that was the case with Saints Row 3, as I've played all the Saints Games to finish and remember them well. And that too is an issue I've had with many co-op games, your co-op buddies just get ignored in cut scenes. It would be nice if CDPR could make it so your co-op partners are recognized in cut scenes as its rather unrealistic to think one person alone in Night City could take on what goes down in that city. Also in Saints Row 2, at least, you could set it to where you could either invite a friend or they could freely drop in to pal around a bit.

For example, I'm playing a little game called Satellite Reign, basically a spiritual successor to the acclaimed Syndicate series. And you need a full team to get most anything done as each team member specializes in something different. Got the Solo to cover the team, hacker to take care of consoles and such, a support unit/leader type to keep the team going and a sniper to silently take care of issues from a distance. I'd like to see something like that happen in 2077 but with each team member controlled by different players and not one person. This comes back around to the topic, that each of the players should be recognized for their parts if a cut scene plays after the mission.

no forced integration like Dark Souls - not unless I opt-in).

And that's why I prefer Bloodborne over Dark Souls while it is the same style of Co-Op, there is a difference in Bloodborne, which in that you can kill a certain hostile NPC to stop people from invading your game. And I think that Cyberpunk doesn't really need that kind of multiplayer system.

walkingdarkly;n10913551 said:
Indeed that was the case with Saints Row 3, as I've played all the Saints Games to finish and remember them well. And that too is an issue I've had with many co-op games, your co-op buddies just get ignored in cut scenes. It would be nice if CDPR could make it so your co-op partners are recognized in cut scenes as its rather unrealistic to think one person alone in Night City could take on what goes down in that city. Also in Saints Row 2, at least, you could set it to where you could either invite a friend or they could freely drop in to pal around a bit.

For example, I'm playing a little game called Satellite Reign, basically a spiritual successor to the acclaimed Syndicate series. And you need a full team to get most anything done as each team member specializes in something different. Got the Solo to cover the team, hacker to take care of consoles and such, a support unit/leader type to keep the team going and a sniper to silently take care of issues from a distance. I'd like to see something like that happen in 2077 but with each team member controlled by different players and not one person. This comes back around to the topic, that each of the players should be recognized for their parts if a cut scene plays after the mission.

And that's why I prefer Bloodborne over Dark Souls while it is the same style of Co-Op, there is a difference in Bloodborne, which in that you can kill a certain hostile NPC to stop people from invading your game. And I think that Cyberpunk doesn't really need that kind of multiplayer system.

Interesting ideas.

From what I recall from the interviews CDPR has already done, it does sound like companion AI/realism/capabilities are being emphasized, probably for the reason you state (one person probably can't handle it all alone). It would be very neat if a player could allow his friends (or, I suppose, strangers) to jump in with him or her and sort of take the role of that companion in an organic way.

I also think this would be difficult to implement, and require CDPR to develop the game with a focus on coop rather than singleplayer (which, for better or worse, will not be the case based on what they've said). At least, if we want to try to make recognition a thing.

For example, let's say you start a mission in-game that involves you teaming up with a well-known in-game NPC hacker. Let's say this hacker is named Jack. Jack already has dozens of cutscenes strictly geared towards his voice lines, his appearance, etc.

If a player drops in to that mission and they fill Jack's role, what happens to Jack in cutscenes? I guess one solution would be to not let the player dropping in use their own avatar and rather just have them play as that NPC. That would be a cool way to handle it.

Satellite Reign is a neat game. I couldn't get into it myself, but the concept is intriguing and it's probably a lot more fun with actual players as companions.

Hopefully whatever multiplayer we get if at all has little to no impact on anything whatsoever. CDPR owns GoG, they should know better than to have multiplayer that could end up a. dying someday or b. being shut down because CDPR can't afford keeping the lights on after a long time.

Multiplayer? No.
maybe, just "maybe" in some later DLC.
Why? Designing and implementing even the most rudimentary multiplayer takes time and resources that could be put to better use designing single player content. What's Multiplayer? That's opportunity to meet other people in game? Why would anyone want to meet other people in game? People, start meeting people in real life :D

atomowyturysta;n10917956 said:
Multiplayer? No.
maybe, just "maybe" in some later DLC.
Why? Designing and implementing even the most rudimentary multiplayer takes time and resources that could be put to better use designing single player content. What's Multiplayer? That's opportunity to meet other people in game? Why would anyone want to meet other people in game? People, start meeting people in real life :D

I agree with you, but for better or worse, some sort of "online element" will be in the game. Whether that's actually multiplayer or not, I have no clue. I also don't know what form of multiplayer it would take.

But something will be in there, whether we like it or not. I've pretty much come to terms with it, so as long as it doesn't ruin my singleplayer experience (I.E. Dark Souls-like "interruptions"), I don't care.

If it is a multiplayer game with content (cdpr actively updates multiplayer content), then I think it can support this game for a long time.

Example: MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD Plays

Last edited:
I doubt CP2077 will be as combat centered as many seem to think.

That's not to say there won't be opportunities for combat, and probably lots of them, but if they use CP2020 as the base (and there's reason to think they will) it won't be the "bang bang shoot em up" sort of combat most people are use to, and seem to want/enjoy, we see in most shooter style games.

Lack of multiplayer would be a serious disservice to the source material. The whole point of an RPG is to play with friends. Every single videogame that has ever called itself an rpg that lacked multiplayer was nothing but lip service... a digital lie, wrapping itself in the trappings of an RPG, but utterly lacking the soul.

wisdom000;n10918379 said:
Lack of multiplayer would be a serious disservice to the source material.

I don't think that matters so much with a computer game. I mean, wasn't the spark to do RPG's on computers in part to substitute the lack of PnP group (either momentarily or for good)?

Top Bottom