Rumours and Speculations

+
Sneky;n10865811 said:
What is wrong with wall-running? Or even some Moon related quests? Wall running is literally confirming vertical gameplay/exploration which is great.

All of what I quoted just implies gameplay (and I mean gameplay, not concepts) I would consider completely out of place. "FPS" + "fast paced" + "Titanfall wallrunning" = Fuck this shit. I'm seeing images again about some sort of fuzzy, busy mess with explosions, tracer bullets, and ADHD camera twitching all over the place.

kofeiiniturpa;n10865921 said:
"FPS" + "fast paced" + "Titanfall wallrunning"
Fast paced doesn't necessarily mean "lacking depth". Combat in 2020 was very much lethal, which transferred onto games might turn out to be dynamic. And to be honest, I'd love that.

Plus, as you've mentioned before, that doesn't mean it will most definitely be THE RPG we've all been waiting for, nor it means it'll be a brainless open world shooter.
At this point we can only speculate and the more time passes, the more conclusions will be drawn from what essentially is "someone I trust told me...", be it true or not.

kofeiiniturpa;n10865921 said:
All of what I quoted just implies gameplay (and I mean gameplay, not concepts) I would consider completely out of place. "FPS" + "fast paced" + "Titanfall wallrunning" = Fuck this shit. I'm seeing images again about some sort of fuzzy, busy mess with explosions, tracer bullets, and ADHD camera twitching all over the place.

So FPP in Deus Ex and System Shocks are out of place and stupid? Every good Cyberpunk game is FPP.

Vampire Masquarade action fast paced combat is out of place and stupid?

Vertical gameplay and climbing is not out of place in Cyberpunk game.

Sneky;n10866061 said:

Sneky;n10865811 said:
The site affirms that the game is FPP with RPG elements. first Deus Ex and System Shocks are also FPP, and they are CRPGs, arguably one of the best cyberpunk rpgs. "FPS" is just clickbait title, technically Deus Ex or System Shocks are also FPS.

A FPS only camera mode is a disgrace. It's worse than I thought, they heavily implied CP2077 has exclusively a FPS mode without third person view.

WHAT HAVE I BECOME
MY SWEETEST FRIEND

Lisbeth_Salander;n10866081 said:
A FPS only camera mode is a disgrace. It's worse than I thought, they heavily implied CP2077 has exclusively a FPS mode without third person view.

WHAT HAVE I BECOME
MY SWEETEST FRIEND

FPP camera is not disgrace, it works great in every great Cyberpunk CRPG from the past. If they have to choose from FPP/TPP im glad that they choose FPP, but i would prefer both obviously.

Deep breaths everyone. Best not to get too worked up about rumors. Wait until we actually see something to make a judgment.

Also ... Lisbeth_Salander I feel like NIN version of "Hurt" is a more appropriate reflection of despair in this situation. Johnny Cash's version feels more like despair in the face of time and death specifically ... not more generalized as would cover this situation. Though my impression of the songs is largely based around Cash's music video which you linked and I love.

Sneky;n10866061 said:
So FPP in Deus Ex and System Shocks are out of place and stupid? Every good Cyberpunk game is FPP.

Vampire Masquarade action fast paced combat is out of place and stupid?

Why would you even bring those up? Why would DX, SS and VtMB be out of place in their own context, and why would it matter here if they were? The original Deus Ex is not a fast paced FPS in the first place, nor is the original System Shock. VtMB on the other hand is a very, very twitchy game no matter how you look at it.

"FPP" is not a problem I was pointing out, the (once again) implied "FPS" is.

Sneky;n10866061 said:

No, it very much isn't. I specifically mentioned the mentioned "Titanfall wallrunning".

Kuboniusz;n10866051 said:
Combat in 2020 was very much lethal, which transferred onto games might turn out to be dynamic.

Yeah it was, but it was also over fast, and it still allowed the player to observe and comprehend the situation they were in. I don't see CDPR putting the player constantly in a position in their game where they have no time to react or sometimes even know what went down before they get snuffed (if the player just isn't able to twitch as fine as the situations calls for), so translating that kind of lethality to a videogame in an intentionally fast paced realtime format almost inevitably leads to watering the original concept down.

Kuboniusz;n10866051 said:
Plus, as you've mentioned before, that doesn't mean it will most definitely be THE RPG we've all been waiting for, nor it means it'll be a brainless open world shooter. At this point we can only speculate and the more time passes, the more conclusions will be drawn from what essentially is "someone I trust told me...", be it true or not.

Yes, indeed. This is just speculation over speculation. It's all we have now, so I grabbed it. And, speculation and clickbait as it might be, it's not completely without logic when you look at how mainstream AAA games these days are being made.

Aaand... there's not much else to talk about anyway.

Last edited:
I would wait with emotions. Vague statement ARE a valid marketing tool to build up the interest in the product.
However, if they got rid of TPP, it may imply they got rid of character customization, that may , in turn, imply that they got rid of character roles and then the character creation entirely. That, in turn, may imply that they shifted the weight from RPG to FPS, that may implay that CDPR is not doing fine and that they try to do "Afterfall: Insanity: Reloaded" before abandoning the ship. And so on, and so forth. A vicious circle. Which may hurt the CDPR even if they are doing exceptionally fine and are making the game with all previusly promised features (that is what I hope for)
Damn, they really should say something official and not let questionable medias to quote some unspecified source known only to themselves.

kofeiiniturpa then why u think that FPP/Climbing/or twitchy combat will be out of place in Cyberpunk 2077? We dont have any infomation, any context. and some of u panicking because journo gave Titanfall as a climbing reference, wtf?

FPS is again, yourno click bait title, read article it clearly stated that it is FPP with RPG elements, not shooter.

From article:

według naszego źródła będzie produkcją FPP z silnym naciskiem na elementy RPG = according to our source it will be FPP production with a strong emphasis on RPG elements

Last edited:
Sneky;n10866171 said:
FPP camera is not disgrace, it works great in every great Cyberpunk CRPG from the past. If they have to choose from FPP/TPP im glad that they choose FPP, but i would prefer both obviously.

Cyberpunk 2077 having a first person camera all the time means we'll only see our characters during cutscenes in a game that is heavily about dressing and style.

This sucks.

Last edited:
Sneky;n10866291 said:
then why u think [stuff] is out of place?

Because I think the way it is implied to work is out of place. And because someone posted that bit here and I decided to comment on it.

Sneky;n10866291 said:
FPS is again, yourno click bait title, read article it clearly stated that it is FPP with RPG elements, not shooter.

Yes, it is journo clickbait. But what do you suspect those "RPG elements" are, and if combat won't be shooter combat what kind of combat do you believe it will it be?

Lisbeth_Salander;n10865901 said:

5 here, plus around a decade and a half before it in a more or less dormant but attentive state.

Last edited:
Putting the FPP/TPP speculation aside, the bit about having a section of the game or a DLC on the moon sounds interesting. It would add some variety to the scenery, and possibly also the gameplay can be more "vertical" with low gravity. If exploring the surface was made possible, then the environment could be damaging and require a protective suit to survive, which is another variable in the gameplay (in addition to restricting exploration to a finite area without artificial barriers).

kofeiiniturpa;n10866351 said:
Because I think the way it is implied to work is out of place. And because someone posted that bit here and I decided to comment on it.

Yes, it is journo clickbait. But what do you suspect those "RPG elements" are, and if combat won't be shooter combat what kind of combat do you believe it will it be?

5 here, plus around a decade and a half before it in a more or less dormant but attentive state.

i have no expectations for now. But i would be VERY happy with Vampire Masquarade style combat, im definitely not expecting some CRPG turn-based old school style combat from AAA big budget ARPG.

Sneky;n10866581 said:
i have no expectations for now. But i would be VERY happy with Vampire Masquarade style combat, im definitely not expecting some CRPG turn-based old school style combat from AAA big budget ARPG.

Luckily it won't be. Turn based has no place in this format/setting, plus it's incredibly tedious to play.
It's a good thing they're experimenting with First person though. If it includes combat, depends on how much melee/animation work will go into it. I really don't see this game as exclusive in First person view.

I'll admit I'm concerned with regard to the perspective of the game - I'm fully expecting TPP with the potential for some instances of FPP (Braindance, possibly sex?, etc.). If this turned out to be a primarily FPP, I'll be very disappointed and would probably refund the game on Steam if that's how it turns out, we'll see. I'm not going to have a meltdown yet though, hopefully these are things that CDPR will explain at E3.

Here's the thing everyone needs to understand: the media, unless they explicitly state they have sources in the industry, do not know anything more than you. They might use certain words (such as "FPS") that make it sound like they do, but they don't. Every single piece of information they've been given, again barring any "sources say" type information, is the same stuff you have access to.

At least, as far as information they put out publicly goes. They may have been told something behind closed doors, but they will generally say "anonymous source said XYZ" if that ever goes public.

There's no indication 2077 will be an FPS. Not purely an FPS, at any rate. By contrast, we have literally been told it will have mixed TPP/FPP perspectives. We can debate what exactly that means and whether or not it's still applicable today, but that's the information we've been given. Until a source says otherwise or CDPR says otherwise, we should operate under that belief, in my opinion.

The media's job is to report the news. Some times reporters make mistakes and use words that mislead people unintentionally. Someone who has never heard of the game before could toss up an article on GamingBolt saying "Futuristic FPS Cyberpunk 2077 expected to launch in 2018 with in-game flying vehicles."

That headline isn't wrong (many people expect the game to launch in 2018 with flying vehicles) but it is misleading. The reporter may have just looked up "Cyberpunk 2077" and skimmed through a few old articles, picking up the highlights.

EDIT: After reading the article, I see GamePressure is making exactly that claim, and citing sources. So now, it's a question of how credible they are.

Last edited:
Loostreaks;n10866751 said:
Luckily it won't be. Turn based has no place in this format/setting, plus it's incredibly tedious to play.
It's a good thing they're experimenting with First person though. If it includes combat, depends on how much melee/animation work will go into it. I really don't see this game as exclusive in First person view.
What makes turn based "incredibly tedious to play"?
The fact that you have to think rather then just react?

Snowflakez;n10867011 said:
That headline isn't wrong (many people expect the game to launch in 2018 with flying vehicles) but it is misleading. The reporter may have just looked up "Cyberpunk 2077" and skimmed through a few old articles, picking up the highlights.
That's really the major problem with the whole journalism industry.
The pressure to "be first with the story" causes many so-called journalists to forget they need to verify their "facts". And then there's the whole "catchy headline" bag a worms. Then they wonder that while some people (usually rumormongers) hang on their every word most people distrust them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom