Cyberpunk Roles - Which One Will You Be

+

Cyberpunk Roles - Which One Will You Be

• Total voters

Guest 4149880

Its going to be interesting to see how far you can actually go in terms of each class and what resources you will have access too. Also when it comes quest lines an story, each class be completely different on how you go about completing them and the outcome.

This is probably a terrible idea but... fuck it
1596.jpg[h=1]"si vis pacem, para bellum" [/h]

walkingdarkly;n9671311 said:
Mike Pondsmith has stated in a recent interview we will see all the roles tthen he adds that some will be slightly different from what is in the Core 2020 rulebook.
Although "seeing" all the roles is not exactly confirmation that we would be ale to play all the roles. It could very well be that some of the more unique roles (Rockerboy, Netrunner) are only NPCs. While I generally agree with you and think that we will get to play all nine roles (or some semblance of them) as the PC, it's always risky to assume more than we actually know.

Last edited:

Guest 4149880

Rawls;n9679991 said:
Although "seeing" all the roles is not exactly confirmation that we would be ale to play all the roles. It could very well be that some of the more unique roles (Rockerboy, Netrunner) are only NPCs. While I generally agree with you and think that we will get to play all nine roles (or some semblance of them) as the PC, it's always risky to assume more than we actually know.

Nothing is confirmed but I'm sure Pondsmith wouldn't have said all roles will be there if some were going to be used as NPC's. Role/classes are playable, NPC's not... Can't really get those confused.

Rawls;n9679991 said:
Although "seeing" all the roles is not exactly confirmation that we would be ale to play all the roles. It could very well be that some of the more unique roles (Rockerboy, Netrunner) are only NPCs.

I somehow got the impression (from the subtlety comment of Mike's), that some roles might be situational, or "sub" in nature... e.g. "COP-rockerboy" possibility where the rockerboy is a kind of "half-a-role" or part of the lifepath you've chosen (Cop by occupation, rockerboy as a civilian, or something). Or that perhaps rockerboys and medias are only experienced through braindance... Dunno.

I would hope the game is versatile enough to allow all the roles to be played and expressed properly, and that it wouldn't devolve into everyone being a solo/cop by nature and then getting "spiced" by other roles if chosen to.

kofeiiniturpa;n9685711 said:
I would hope the game is versatile enough to allow all the roles to be played and expressed properly, and that it wouldn't devolve into everyone being a solo/cop by nature and then getting "spiced" by other roles if chosen to.
Much like the PnP it'll probably be a matter of where you put your skill points and how you "identify" yourself.
Nothing in the PnP stops a Solo from having poor combat skills or a Media from having good ones.
BUT ... distributing their points like that does make it difficult for either to do their job ... call it a challenge.

Rawls;n9679991 said:
it's always risky to assume more than we actually know.

But that's what we've been doing that for the past 4 years on this forum! :D
But I get where you're coming from...but we'll still assume out the arse since there's not much to go on till CDPR decides to finally feed us....I do feel sorry for this forums and CDPR when that does finally happen.

Suhiira;n9686431 said:
Much like the PnP it'll probably be a matter of where you put your skill points and how you "identify" yourself. Nothing in the PnP stops a Solo from having poor combat skills or a Media from having good ones. BUT ... distributing their points like that does make it difficult for either to do their job ... call it a challenge.

We always took the roles (and career packages) more to heart when playing, they had a purpose and meaning beyond offering that one "special" skill. It was open, but still more of a commitment than just a label.

Weren't there also the IP multipliers for skills outside the roles innate abilities?

kofeiiniturpa;n9688591 said:
We always took the roles (and career packages) more to heart when playing, they had a purpose and meaning beyond offering that one "special" skill. It was open, but still more of a commitment than just a label.

Weren't there also the IP multipliers for skills outside the roles innate abilities?

Nope. Just certain skills had IP multipliers. If you used them. They were kinda arbitrary, especially the different Martial Arts ones. "Wait, I can learn demolition for 1/4 the cost of Thai Kick boxing? I mean, I know TKB is hard core, but I'm learning to BLOW SHIT UP AND NOT DIE."

Roles did have an interesting skill tax, though. You could only use your Pickup Skill points for skills outside your Role list at character creation. Since you get 40 points for your 10 Career Skills and your ( Int + Ref) for your Pickup skills, which cannot be used on Career skills, you can't really get very good at all the skills a Role needs to do well at. You would also lose out on non-Role versatility if you dump all your Pickup points into only a couple skills.

As a Ref, I find the Career Skills to be unreasonably low. I usually say 60 to 80 points and no starting skills higher than 5, allowing any skill that would reasonably be part of the Career.

Sardukhar;n9694821 said:
Nope. Just certain skills had IP multipliers. If you used them. They were kinda arbitrary, especially the different Martial Arts ones. "Wait, I can learn demolition for 1/4 the cost of Thai Kick boxing? I mean, I know TKB is hard core, but I'm learning to BLOW SHIT UP AND NOT DIE."

Roles did have an interesting skill tax, though. You could only use your Pickup Skill points for skills outside your Role list at character creation. Since you get 40 points for your 10 Career Skills and your ( Int + Ref) for your Pickup skills, which cannot be used on Career skills, you can't really get very good at all the skills a Role needs to do well at. You would also lose out on non-Role versatility if you dump all your Pickup points into only a couple skills.

Ah, I had those two mixed together, speaking from memory only.

I do find it better, though, that there's some tougher choices to be made during the character creation (the 40 points only). I found it more interesting that I needed to work more to achieve more versatility, rather than being allowed to be average or near average on quite a lot of areas (that you could with 80 points).

As far as this being related to CP2077, though, the starting IP could well be tied to the games overall difficulty setting, provided the gameplay actually takes use of the skill values.

Anyway, though, I would like the choice of class be more than a special skill. That they and all that comes with them are actually a reflection of the characters past endeavors (why a MEDIA is called a MEDIA.... not just because you got to choose that at character creation and that's the end of it, but because that's what the character is and has been). Plus special content and dialog to back that up, so you can express your MEDIA as an actual MEDIA. Learning new things should be available, of course, but at a higher cost as that's genuinely new stuff to learn. I remember learning the first point of any skill during gameplay cost extra IP or required a teacher (just remembering there again, I don't have the core book to check it out).

I've always personally preferred versatile characters, I know many folks are happy with a one-trick pony tho.

Top Bottom