There is a chance of the lore having big changes to appeal to a wider audience

+
This thread has derailed quite a bit... went from bitching about lore changes to bitching about publishers and video game design. I love this forum

BjornTheBandit;n9697891 said:
This thread has derailed quite a bit... went from bitching about lore changes to bitching about publishers and video game design. I love this forum
Just like a real-life conversation.
They never seem to end up where they started.

How much lore would they REALLY need to change. I think they've got quite a bit of room to be creative, seeing as how it's 57 years in the future from the source material. ALOT can happen in that space of time. ALOT can happen in 24 hours, let alone the almost 500,000 (499,656 is what I got including leap years) hours that 57 years is. As far as technology goes... It WOULD have changed aesthetically. People wear enhancements as a fashion statement, and look at how much our fashion has changed in the last decade...

So... the issue at the core for me is this.... Is it still going to be cyberPUNK? And I'll leave it at that, because I could write far more words than anyone would be interested in reading. Just take that question into your brainspace and chew on it for a bit.

Last edited:
57 years ... let's see ... 2017-57=1960 ...
No internet, PCs, iPhones (or mobile phones at all to speak of). Transistors are the new thing and replacing vacuum tubes fairly quickly.
But cars, homes, firearms, while they've been refined really havn't changed all that much.

Suhiira;n9703421 said:

I suppose the more relevant question would be how compatible the CP2020 tech advancement is to ours seeing how seeminly slow ours is by comparison. And in that light asking, how much would need to change.

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n9704701 said:
I suppose the more relevant question would be how compatible the CP2020 tech advancement is to ours seeing how seeminly slow ours is by comparison. And in that light asking, how much would need to change.
Probably a better question.
CP2020 did assume a pretty rapid rate of tech advancement.

Suhiira;n9703421 said:
No internet, PCs, iPhones (or mobile phones at all to speak of). Transistors are the new thing and replacing vacuum tubes fairly quickly.
But cars, homes, firearms, while they've been refined really havn't changed all that much.

Exactly. The key will be in blending the new with the old. I love my 1911 pistol; it is a total blast to shoot -pun intended, shoot me :) - but it is outdated in alot of ways, and some of the new mall ninja looking pieces of kit are FUNDAMENTALLY the same, but are seriously distant cousins when it comes to mindset, aesthetics, etc... So I'd think they would have some differences but function the same. How far they go, though, is hard to pin down, because technology tends to snowball faster and faster in innovation as it grows more and more sophisticated. It wasn't relatively that long ago we first got airborne, and now we have aircraft that break the sound barrier, not to mention we can get to other floating rocks outside of our gravitational field. Since 2020 was so far advanced, a whole bunch could have changed, or maybe all the greedy corps may have stunted growth by forcing cheap frivolous advantages year by year, instead of making truly life changing stuff. Gotta make a million, doesn't matter who dies, right?

edit - Did you catch my second pun? I'm a dad, I have a license to make em

walkingdarkly;n9577721 said:
That's an odd statement considering Cyberpunk was always about what future tech could look like from a 1990's perspective, so it's only then to see what some of the same tech plus our own "newer" tech would be like in a dystopian future.

I believe (or hope) that this can mean that the there's an estilistic evolution, like the Outrun, that is the retro-futurism of the 80s, now it has a modernized look (compared to the 80s) but it's still the same in essence.

Lisbeth_Salander;n9579351 said:
Screencap this, there will be lots of Lore Guys crying when CP2077 is released, because it has new things that they think don't belong in the game.

Sadly, I believe I'm going to be one of them :'(

MadqueenShow;n9714001 said:
Well ... they do have to tweak a few things to fit a video game vice PnP environment, and they have 50 years or so of history to create (tho as I understand it Mike is helping a lot with that part) so one has to expect a certain amount "non cannon" lore.

What you fear is gonna happen with Cyberpunk 2077?

Suhiira;n9714021 said:
Well ... they do have to tweak a few things to fit a video game vice PnP environment, and they have 50 years or so of history to create (tho as I understand it Mike is helping a lot with that part) so one has to expect a certain amount "non cannon" lore.

The only negative aspect of "changing the lore" is the change itself, the big positive point of it is that CDPR will be able to create what they want, instead of following the books like with The Witcher franchise.

Suhiira;n9714021 said:

Lisbeth_Salander;n9715461 said:
What you fear is gonna happen with Cyberpunk 2077?

It's not that I'm afraid that they're going to do a bad job, but I know I'm incredibly hyped and there are milions of things that I would love to see in the game done in a very specific way and I know it's impossible that the canon in my head has nothing to see with the canon in the head of CDPR. So most probably I'm going to cry.

Also this 57 years of history happen in the expansions of CP2020 that I'm not very fond of :p But I know that this is particular taste of mine and that Pondsmith said that they were not going to use those editions a lot, only in making the events coherent with what happens in the new editions.

BUT I'll cry in a corner without ruining the experience of the rest of the players hahaha

Me too. Probably.

I mean, I don't usually care about lore all that much in games, unless it is pushed to somewhere utterly ridiculous - gameplay mechanics is more my area. But I already miss the 80's scifi vibe 2020 had (that would be "retro scifi" now) which CP2077 is going to omit. I don't think I'll riot for it, but it is something to lament, as scifi as derived from our current science (as seen all over the movies and games) is actually often pretty boring and unimaginative.

Boring and unimaginative to those of us that grew up with rapid technological change. But consider that up till about 1880 things hadn't changed all that much since 1300, nor had the changes leading to 1300 (gunpowder, steel, basic mechanical/industrial principals (waterwheels, windmills), 3-field agriculture) been all that rapid. We've grown up to expect the amazing (www, smart phones, personal automobiles) so what we consider "boring and unimaginative" most humans throughout history would have considered magic.

Last edited:
Suhiira;n9717271 said:
Boring and unimaginative to those of us that grew up with rapid technological change. But consider that up till about 1880 things hadn't changes all that much since 1300, nor had the changes leading to 1300 (gunpowder, steel, basic mechanical/industrial principals (waterwheels, windmills), 3-field agriculture) been all that rapid. We've grown up to expect the amazing (www, smart phones, personal automobiles) so what we consider "boring and unimaginative" most humans throughout history would have considered magic.

I don't get the point.

I mean, that's all true what you're writing there, but I miss what it tries to actually say - in case it isn't meant to just point out ancient people would think our TV's are real[SUP]tm[/SUP] magic while I, a child of the 80's, might think a holographic TV screen in science fiction is already a bit boring a concept.

What I suppose I mean to say is that the tech in scifi today lacks the sort of "wonder of new" because we've gone so much forward since 80's and 90's already and ours is now thematically so close to those contraptions in a lot of new scifi, that it often (too often) seems... "unimaginative and boring".

I must be getting old here too. My friends kids are already thinking we lived in stoneage and our lives must've sucked big time because we didn't have these lil' TV's (tablest and phones).

EDIT -

Here's a nifty little mini movie about what you just said. :D

Last edited:
MadqueenShow;n9716161 said:
It's not that I'm afraid that they're going to do a bad job, but I know I'm incredibly hyped and there are milions of things that I would love to see in the game done in a very specific way and I know it's impossible that the canon in my head has nothing to see with the canon in the head of CDPR. So most probably I'm going to cry.

Just control those expectations and everything will be fine. I have some ideas of what Cyberpunk 2077 might be, but I don't count on them existing in the game. The big secret is to consider all possibilities equally, giving more focus to those that were confirmed by CDPR.

One good way to control those fellings is to create vague expectations of what 2077 might be, for example...we know that customization wlil probably play a huge role in the game because CDPR said it would, but we don't know if we're be able to customize the characters body sizes, therefore it is wise to create expectations on the customization itself in a general way but not on the customizable body sizes, since one was confirmed (customization; whatever it may be) and the other was not (body size customization).

kofeiiniturpa;n9716531 said:
But I already miss the 80's scifi vibe 2020 had (that would be "retro scifi" now) which CP2077 is going to omit.

Why do you think so? Currently this Outrun style is on trend, so they can reach wider audiences using it, besides we didn't see any real images of the game, the teaser was just a teaser and I don't expect it to be representative of the game.

TD;TL I hope you're wrong.

MadqueenShow;n9717621 said:
Why do you think so? ... besides we didn't see any real images of the game, the teaser was just a teaser and I don't expect it to be representative of the game. TD;TL I hope you're wrong.

CDPR devs have said so themselves in some interviews. I've a recollection (just a recollection, though, no links) of a couple of instances where I thought it was quite clearly implied the setting is going to be derived from -our now- and that they aren't making a retro 80's game.

I hope I'm wrong too, dearly, but that's the gist I got.

MadqueenShow kofeiiniturpa

(I hope you have read what I said before Sard edited it, kofe)
Marcin Iwinski says at 8:05: "we're not creating a retro world because we don't think it would be believable to a younger audience"

Iwinski is right, Blade Runner 2049 took a retro futuristic approach and look at what happened, it was a failure in the box office (even though it was a great movie).

Last edited:
Top Bottom