Do we get a home?

+
Do we get a home?

Or some sort of base to operate out of?
I mean, it would only make sense. Our character has to live somewhere. Unless we're just living with the clothes on our back and moving from flophouse to flophouse.

But it would definitely make sense if we can at the very least rent an apartment. And there should be TONS of those around in the city. Picking the location would be important. Naturally there'd be cheap places in the more slummy sections and super expensive setups in the corporate areas. Being close to potential jobs would be important to someone in our line of work (whatever that ends up being).

Having safe houses that we can hide out in would also be key. When the heat is on we'd need places to hide. And it would make sense that we'd have to be careful about it. Make sure we're not followed to our hideouts or they'd be compromised. Having safe houses across the city would be important. Naturally it would be hard to pull off, costing not only money but contacts (making sure we get unlisted places that can't be traced back to us).

And of course, one of the most important factors... we need to be able to decorate. :p
I mean, I want to choose my furniture, go out and buy paintings and posters... maybe install a hidden gun cabinet in a wall... all of the fun stuff. :)

Should we have a home in this game? Yes. Considering that the world will be a dangerous place, it might be nice to give players that felling of safeness, and having a home is a great way to do that.

I rather liked the first apartment you got in Bloodlines.
It had "character" ... and probably cockroaches ...

a home is a place you can reliably be found day after day... they have this nasty habit of breaking out in bombings/shootings/gassing/arson/etc.

better to stay off the grid, pay for your sleep cube in cash and never stay in the same place twice... paranoia isn't a disorder in cyberpunk, it's a survival trait.

Well, I'm hoping we get customizable safe houses at the very least. I can understand a "home" being a liability... of course, if we stay on the up and up, or at least cover our tracks well enough, it should be okay. Besides, helps us give people that "legitimate" vibe. :p

I'd like to think that we could get more homes and safe houses from working up our standing with various factions.

HERESY! there shall be no homes, you shall live in a van down by the river, or in a communal squat in a condemned building, or rent a sleep coffin when you're flush. lord Pondsmith has commanded us to carry our worldly possessions in a duflel bag and live as wandering murder-hobos... to live any other way is blasphemy.

I’d rather not have a ”home”. Usually they are just glorified storage containers or flavor boxes to buy furniture in that serve no real purpose as they very rarely even require a visit.

If there was a base of operations type of thing, I’d really rather it had an actual gameplay function and purpose, and not just be that e-dollhouse at the corner of the street you can enter and decorate and where you can dump all the trash you’ve picked up.

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n9777171 said:
If there was a base of operations type of thing, I’d really rather it had an actual gameplay function and purpose, and not just be that e-dollhouse at the corner of the street you can enter and decorate and where you can dump all the trash you’ve picked up.
Oh, I agree with that. I'd expect there to be a map, mission planner, contact point, etc all set up in there. It would be a mission planning point.
Of course, no reason we can't put up nice curtains too. :p

It should depend on your lifepath in character creation. A corporate, cop, or solo might have a decent flat to start, a medic or techie a shared basement/warehouse. A netrunner might do with a capsule hotel. A nomad wouldn't need one. A rockerboy would probably crash on peoples sofa until they got established.

4meg;n9779441 said:
It should depend on your lifepath in character creation. A corporate, cop, or solo might have a decent flat to start, a medic or techie a shared basement/warehouse. A netrunner might do with a capsule hotel. A nomad wouldn't need one. A rockerboy would probably crash on peoples sofa until they got established.
Yeah I really hope there is an well designed economy, and that the social class differences are heavily prevalent within the game.

Having sad that, I do hope there is a home that they player can earn through the course of the game. And I hope there is a lifepath component to it. EDIT: I also like the idea of the space also having a purpose. The rockerboy has a corner with a studio. The media and cop has special information terminal available to them based on their role. Solo get's maybe an arsenal modification spot within the flat. Netrunner can jack into the net and hack from there. Corporate can invest in the stock market, has fancy art pieces she can buy. Etc etc. Agree Nomads should get a motorcycle with a tent on it they can set up anywhere. Maybe they're the only class that starts with a vehicle.

Last edited:
Rawls;n9779461 said:
Yeah I really hope there is an well designed economy, and that the social class differences are heavily prevalent within the game.

Hmmm... Zoning permits. Bribes to overcome the sudden zoning law changes. Kickbacks to contractors. Gifts for the teamsters. Protection money for the cops AND the mob. Very cyberpunk.

Somebody talked about a mobile home recently. I don't think that's such a bad idea. Some kind of a camper-van.

Could be remote controlled so you can call it about... Not like that Roach the dimension traveler in Witcher 3 that always appeared behind you with a whistle, though.

kofeiiniturpa;n9780861 said:
Somebody talked about a mobile home recently. I don't think that's such a bad idea. Some kind of a camper-van.

An armoured mobile caravan is often used in cyberpunk.

Guest 4149880

kofeiiniturpa;n9780861 said:

Sure if you can afford not living in the slums. the next best thing is living out of your vehicle, carrying around what is called your "Outfit", basically your loadout bag on the go and stored in your vehicle, but atleast you're ....free?

Until maybe one day you reach that high point in your Corporate career and they've provided a nice luxurious place to live in exchange for you doing their bidding, while they're secretly watching your every move so don't think about blind siding them because they know where you live, what you buy and where you go 24/7. But hey, you sacrifice a little to gain.... A lot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Camping... We do need to have an ability to camp in a big fridge box before getting better apartments, it's an appropriate dark humour and a social commentary, two in one! Or a vehicle to sleep in. In fact, gameplay-wise, Fallout 2's car was one step short, it only needed to let player character sleep, now that's a homeless character roleplaying.
kofeiiniturpa;n9777171 said:
I’d rather not have a ”home”. Usually they are just glorified storage containers or flavor boxes to buy furniture in that serve no real purpose as they very rarely even require a visit.
Now let's not have no home, it's a sandbox rpg after all, player character needs to stick his ass somewhere. And there's no need to be a pathfinder in RPG player housing. Morrowind lets you level up in bed and drop trash to traders, that suddenly makes taverns useful. VtM:B had a laptop plot device and a companion to lodge in on top of what you said. A netrunner could operate from his apartment too

EZ doable gameplay mechanic.

Last edited:
metalmaniac21;n9782431 said:
Now let's not have no home, it's a sandbox rpg after all, player character needs to stick his ass somewhere. .

Nah. First, we aren't sure what kind of RPG it will ultimately be. Second, it is key to Cyberpunk that only the powerful and the wageslaves have places they rest for very long.

Mobility is safety and ambition is very mobile.

Any place you stay too long, as an Edgerunner, is vulnerable.

That it be cyberpunk is more important than that it stick to sandbox rpg - or whatever - conventions.

Well, we could always have options. As said, there could be risks with having a fixed address. Which could lead to interesting missions and situations.
But having a home, even if it's just safe houses hidden around, would be good in many ways. For one, it's nice to have a place to stash stuff and be able to plan out your next move. It would also probably serve as a place to upgrade and customize.

I'm actually thinking we should be able to "claim" locations as safe houses. Find some abandoned warehouse to hovel, clear out anything living there, and fortify it for our own use.

AdamTaylor;n9783521 said:
Well, we could always have options. As said, there could be risks with having a fixed address. Which could lead to interesting missions and situations.
But having a home, even if it's just safe houses hidden around, would be good in many ways. For one, it's nice to have a place to stash stuff and be able to plan out your next move. It would also probably serve as a place to upgrade and customize.

I'm actually thinking we should be able to "claim" locations as safe houses. Find some abandoned warehouse to hovel, clear out anything living there, and fortify it for our own use.

while it would be "nice" to have a safe place to hide ourselves and our stuff... that's not really in keeping with the theme. if you go to a place on the regular and you're not a damn phantom, you will eventually be found. also, while you're out doing crimes to others... there's no rule saying someone can't also be doing crimes to you, like stealing your shit!

Exactly! Come home to find stuff stolen, then go out to track down who did it. That would be awesome.

Top Bottom