How much should the story differ depending on the Role you pick?

+
How much should the story differ depending on the Role you pick?

Ofc the whole story shouldn't change but i wish some things did. exclusive missions based on your role. each role having their own introductionary gameplay like dragon age origins.

What about how people treat you? Or the way they talk to you depending on your Role. what do you guys think?

There should be a sort of natural animosity between certain roles. Nomads and cops. Media and rockerboys. Corporates and everyone. Some roles would have a more natural affinity as well. Solos and medics. Techs and netrunners. Media and rockerboys. However, your rep would probably alter this.

animalfather;n9808641 said:
Ofc the whole story shouldn't change but i wish some things did. exclusive missions based on your role. each role having their own introductionary gameplay like dragon age origins.
What about how people treat you? Or the way they talk to you depending on your Role. what do you guys think?

I think your role should do a few things:

1. Effect the skills available the player at the beginning of the game (and possibly longer).
2. Effect your reputation with NPCs and factions - a Cop isn't going to looked on favorably by gang-bangers.
3. Give you a quest line specific to the Role that you play. Also I hope this also effects the types of contracts available to the PC and how much money they can make, This would really enhance replay-ability.
4. I do think a different opening for each role would be cool ... however I think that's a lot of variety for the prologue.

Just my opinion.

Rawls;n9809001 said:
1. Effect the skills available the player at the beginning of the game (and possibly longer). 2. Effect your reputation with NPCs and factions - a Cop isn't going to looked on favorably by gang-bangers. 3. Give you a quest line specific to the Role that you play. Also I hope this also effects the types of contracts available to the PC and how much money they can make, This would really enhance replay-ability. 4. I do think a different opening for each role would be cool ... however I think that's a lot of variety for the prologue.

Yeah, that sounds swell.

As for the story differences... First of all, I would hope there are different endings based on how you play and who you deal with and not somekind of an endboss or otherwise forced "final confrontation" at a specific location that happens no matter what. In lieu of that, the role should offer tonal differences to how the core storyline goes and to its endings even if the basics of it were same for each. Like, if there was a conversation at the roof of a building where someone takes off in a helicopter, a cop might find that scene at the top of the PD and talk his lines with cops, a fixer might find it at the top of a squatted apartment building with gangers and the takeoff happens via an elevator, a Medic at a hospital, a corp at a high class penthouse... Same scene otherwise, but little tonal differences based on your role.

Something of that ilk.

4. I do think a different opening for each role would be cool ... however I think that's a lot of variety for the prologue.

It could be arranged such that they all happen in the same place during the same event, yet from an individual perspective.

There was this idea thrown around a couple of years back where there's a rock concert held at some joint and an event happens there that sets things in motion for the game proper.

Each role has a role there. For example: A corp is there as the manager and has some shady business going on, a solo is hired to kill the corp, cop is coming to arrest the solo and protect the corp, fixer is there to sell drugs, medic is part of the staff, so is techie (arranging the show effects), netrunner is hacking to the corps business scheme, nomad is the one doing business with the corp, rockerboy is the performer in the concert... Everybody has a role, and like in the opening of VtMB, you get to see the other playable characters in the action (the default versions, of course the player should be able to mold his own). Maybe they get to see them later on in the game too; adversaries, acquaintances, all's possible.

Something happens and chaos ensues, everybody's in a hurry to get their job done. More chaos. And things might actually end in the scene that the teaser trailer portrayed. A cyberpshycho has just sliced a lot of people in half and max tac has arrived to take her down. The player, depending on his role, either escapes or ends up watching the final scene unfold. And then, "somet time passes from the dramatic events and the PC arrives at Night City to -save himself- (what ever that might mean... making his fortunes, finding the meaning of his life, what ever)".

Or something to that effect. Every role has a somewhat unique opening even if they're not scattered around the world (and not as costly as that).

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n9809261 said:
It could be arranged such that they all happen in the same place during the same event, yet from an individual perspective.
Agreed that's the only easiest way it could be done. A meeting of certain groups or a heist/quest involving where each role could be used.

Last edited:
Rawls;n9809001 said:

Just my opinion.

DA origins had about 2hours of prologue gameplay for each race. that was rad.

i know CB2077 will have more Roles but im thinking they could at least do 30min of exclusive prologue for each Role.

animalfather;n9809761 said:
DA origins had about 2hours of prologue gameplay for each race. that was rad.
In Origins it was pretty important because they had to teach the player how each race was viewed by, and viewed, the world-at-large; a City Elf had a VERY different perspective then a Dalish (Forest) Elf. In CP2077 it'd "merely" be an introduction to the Role (not Class, no classes in CP2020). But that would still be VERY useful for folks not already familiar with the game.

Suhiira;n9810441 said:
In Origins it was pretty important because they had to teach the player how each race was viewed by, and viewed, the world-at-large; a City Elf had a VERY different perspective then a Dalish (Forest) Elf. In CP2077 it'd "merely" be an introduction to the Role (not Class, no classes in CP2020). But that would still be VERY useful for folks not already familiar with the game.

We-ell. I think it is as important, because the Roles are really different in most cases. Cop vs Netrunner vs Rockerboy vs Corp? Oh yeah.

I would definitely like to see a lot of role based content, and grand sweeping changes to the narrative depending on the role you're playing as. And multiple endings. As said, don't give everyone the guided on rails path to some "end boss", but give us a lot of different ways to reach "endgame", with options on who we're siding with, and what end goal we want.

Hi,
i think that there should not be quests only for specific roles.
This surely gives tons of additional work and has no value in single walkthrough, as player would see nearly nothing from stories in the game.
To see it all, you would need to walkthrough game (no_classes) times, and its a lot.

Maybe it would be better to start as somewhat neutral character;
of course there would be some reactions, as player is policeman by default - i believe ?;
but this could be done softly, with some reputation system, etc..
It could be harder with some factions, because of previous actions ... or even a role,
but not like you cannot do it because of role.

Its actions what defines character, not predefined role at the start of the game.
Even a policeman can became some killing maniac.

I don't think there really should be different stories for different roles. I would prefer a single set of 'problems' that need to be solved. How that is achieved is up to you and the role you play. The problems might be the same, but the way you approach them will be entirely different for each player.

For example: A Corp has a top secret project under way and you hear that a rival corp wants that info. How do you solve it?

Netrunner hacks his way in.
A solo does a frontal assault.
Media charms their way in.
A medic forces a false emergency situation
A rockerboy might try to get in by offering a free concert or some such.

In every case the problem is the same, but the solutions are varied.

I agree it would be nice to have many different ways to solve the same problem. And have choices added on top of that.

Corp A tasks you with stealing item X from corp B. Said item is stored in a secure facility.

Possible options I'd like to see (plus any more people can think of):

- Sneak in and steal the item
- Use force to bust in and take it
- Bribe or con the guards into letting you in
- Get a distraction nearby to draw away guards to make it easier to break in

Now, with those, there should be deeper options.
For example, if you sneak in, you can make sure there's nothing tying the theft back to you. A violent approach could also lead to that if you make sure there's no survivors, they can't send out info on who you are, and all data is scrubbed. So maybe you'd hack their communications first, disable cameras then sneak in or kill all the guards (you could also knock out the guards as long as they're not awake to see you at any point).
Using force would naturally draw a lot of attention, not only from the corp you're attacking, but from others nearby (police might come investigate, or maybe some gangers nearby are being nosy about the fireworks). This could lead to the blame coming back to you (or the corp you work for), but you might also be able to use that to your advantage, by say getting disguises for a rival corp and trying to get the blame pinned on them. Or making it look like a gang raid and stealing as much stuff as you can (to make it look like they weren't just there after the specific item).
Bribing or conning the guards would definitely leave a lot of evidence of your presence, which again would require some creative thinking to keep you out of trouble.

But don't forget the item itself. Perhaps you could talk to those hiring you to get a fake made up that you could switch with the original, to hopefully delay anyone figuring out it's been stolen.
And would you only be focused on stealing the item in question? Or would you risk trying to take other things to make the crime seem more random? Maybe it was just usual corporate theft and not someone going after a specific project? Maybe you could sneak in and steal a different item, then when the owners are focused on that loss and retrieving it, you go back to steal the real target?

Of course, who's to say how loyal you are? Maybe you'll go to corp B and let them know that corp A is after their stuff? Maybe work out a fake to be taken back to corp A instead? Perhaps this fake could include a bomb to some damage in return?
Or you might decide that after you've stolen the item, you'd like to contact corp B and let them know they can have it back if they meet your price?

And naturally, even with a perfect heist and the item being delivered to corp A... someone might "leak" some info to corp B letting them know where their item went... and perhaps offering a chance to steal it back? :)

Top Bottom