Why is CDPR reducing all the flavour of the game (Card Names)?

+
Why is CDPR reducing all the flavour of the game (Card Names)?

Looking at the card names on the PTR made me sad, especially the leaders.

Crach an Craite is only Crach now. Then there's only Bran, who sounds like some sort cornflakes without his title. And then all the other named cards: Tibor Eggebracht is only Tibor, Leo Bonhart is just Bonhart now and a lot other names got butchered too and lost the family or first name.

Why CDPR? These changes make me so sad.

Maybe they just edited them for the PTR?
Potentially to make it flow faster? not sure how much difference it would make in terms of coding or anything like that but just a guess.

Four reasons (probably):

1. The current card names are inconsistent; some units have full names while others don't.
2. No one is going to say (or remember) Clan Drummond Shieldmaiden or Clan Tuirseach Skirmishers. Instead they just say Shieldmaiden and Skirmishers.
3. Some "designations" have been move to the tags, like all the clan names.
4. Too long a name makes it difficult to align it above the card (maybe because of the possible upcoming mobile version).

4RM3D;n10030291 said:
Four reasons (probably):

1. The current card names are inconsistent; some units have full names while others don't.
2. No one is going to say (or remember) Clan Drummond Shieldmaiden or Clan Tuirseach Skirmishers. Instead they just say Shieldmaiden and Skirmishers.
4. Too long a name makes it difficult to align it above the card (maybe because of the possible upcoming mobile version).

I'm not talking about "normal" cards. I understand the reasons for the SK bronzes, although there are cards like "Shupe's Big Adventure" now. They cut the names of named characters (!) down. Leaders and other important characters. Why is "Leo Bonhart" only "Bonhart "now? The name wasn't even long. "Yarpen Zigrin" is only "Yarpen" now and so on. Nearly every named character got a shorter name, although there are new cards with longer names. I don't get it, why they changed that.

Because its slim-lining for the mobile port. Everything has to be slimlined to be effecient on mobile.

I really don't get why the PC/Consoles need to suffer for mobile. Just make mobile naming different if it doesn't work as is. Changing all of SK's units to "Clan X" is so ugly and impersonal. Just cut Clan and use their clan names.

Edit: The leaders also lose all of their impetus and regality when they're just singular names.

Guest 4226291

4RM3D;n10030291 said:
Four reasons (probably):

I know that you are never critical of any changes that they do to this game, but altering the game to remove flavour and lore is objectively worse. Not to mention that you name consistency as an issue and yet some character cards have only a first name and others have only a last name. Another inconsistent naming of cards. And even if there is inconsistency, why go in the opposite direction and remove most characters name and just have one word.

It just seems they don’t really care about lore, since half the cards that are part of the clan have that title removed.

And not to mention they’re doing what they do best by removing unique abilities and aspects and making all the factions similar. Removing more abilities and faction uniqueness in their attempt to make it easier to play and beginner friendly but hey I guess that’s a whole other discussion.

Another thing that I really hate, is not showing the name of the art authors. It wasn't a problem before, so why not keep it that way.
This new patch introduced soo many beautiful cards, and I want to know who made them! If it's because of thining the game for mobile, than don't show them on the small screen! But PC and console should be treated like a bigscreen of Gwent - it should be a more rich experience, not an exact copy.

They are close to ruining the whole experience for mobile versions. Literally the only reason why the update is such a step back in every way and is getting too simple is because of mobile versions. Shame on you for that CDPR, this is one of the few things where I gotta say they messed up.

I noticed this as well - and was very suprised by it (and not positively). The Skellige clans, I can understand. The clan names were a bit redundant as they are also tags, and only applied to generic characters anyway. It makes sense to have a pattern of say, 'Clan Shieldmaiden' and have it be like 'Dol Blathanna Marksman' and 'Impera Brigades'. Changing given names of unique characters though, is odd. I've not checked this at length yet, but if say Leo Bonhart is now 'Bonhart' and Tibor Eggebracht is now 'Tibor' it is still inconsistent use of first and last names, and new card 'Henry var Attre' breaks the rule as well, unless they changed that after the reveal. If it's just name length that is the issue, there are generic cards with longer titles out there anyway.

This is something I hope is just work-in-progress, but we'll see.

Well, Fake Ciri is now just called The Empress. Now I guess her name is true to the character, no one will actually know that she isn't the real Ciri...

The Skellige bronze naming convention cracks me up, it's all Clan This and Clan That.

I know the tags are more descriptive, but if you don't pay attention to that it seems like they're all part of the same clan, like a cult, a backwater redneck family, the KKK or Wu-Tang.

This update is a more than a step backwards... the changes are bad, especially the game play and the name shortening, who thought of that not so bright idea ? Have had a couple of causal game plays this evening and the experience is terrible.

4RM3D;n10030291 said:
Four reasons (probably):

Those "big" names, made me interested in lore enough to buy Witcher 3, Witcher 2 and 2 witcher books....Not to mention they add depth to the game, so it won't feel like a cheap chinese copy of hearthstone.

Top Bottom