Big Changes are Coming (Coin Flip, New Faction, Card Names and More)

+
for me there aint an issue with coin flip, it should be long term 50% chance.
but maybe its the type of distribution algorithm & Standard Deviation they use for the rng of the coin flip

To add to my previous post.

I think Gwent's problems are a lot bigger than coin flip and dwarves. When people say they're quitting and want more transparency, they have other things in mind.

Gwen't main issue is that it's losing its identity. It's getting simplified to the point that the main goal is to plop down as many points as possible, while praying to RNG gods to give you a good card. Remember when being 20 points ahead was a big lead? That's one of the issues. Cards have bloated values and more cards along the lines of " play one-spawn 3 more" are being added. Bronze cards that require no setup and can stand on their own are the issue. Bronzes should be engine cards that need some setup, like mangonels. When a dwarf is played it gets immediate value and the opponent can't do much.

So I believe a bit more info on where Gwent, in general, is going would be appreciated. Are we getting more tactical gameplay back (rows, symmetrical weather etc.) or are they going with the point spam and create?

Last edited:
4RM3D;n10339602 said:
- Possibility of change to the board - Longer card names most likely coming back

At last good news. Can't wait to get back the witcher feeling into gwent.

People loved the longer lore-related names as it was seen on reddit few days ago :
https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/7t4yba/vicovaro_medics_cake/

Weird names and latin phrases, which are more confusing than "Brokvar Hunter", is what gives flavor to the game and makes it interesting. Thank god Midwinter update didnt rename Vicovaro medic into Human medic and dump down his quote.

Maerd;n10342442 said:
So you enter as a spectator from the second computer and look into your opponent cards?

Nah, I imagine it will be like Twitch stream, where you can only view the hand of the person that has enabled Spectator Mode.

BlunderMan;n10340902 said:
A whole new expansion seems ambitious to roll out when there are so many issues with the current meta.

Agreed. Balance first, then we can talk adding cards, creating a new meta and such.

Adding more cards into an already volatile, unstable and unbalanced meta is not a good idea. UNLESS, CDPR is confident and is aware their new cards will balance things out (although having counters to ridiculously OP meta decks locked behind expansion kegs is something EA would do. Pay to compete and have a significant advantage, and all that).

Snake_Foxhounder;n10342392 said:
... And couldn't the coin flip be solved my making players play the frst card simultaneously?...

Please explain how will this work if the first two cards played are, let's say Viper Witchers?

Snake_Foxhounder;n10342452 said:
Remember when being 20 points ahead was a big lead?

I remember when 14 points required, ball park, two bronze cards to surpass or a high value silver or Gold. Very few cards that weren't highly situational (i.e. Tremors, Lacerate etc) could pull off 14+ swings, let alone bronze cards. Now you have Agitators that vomit up a Skirmisher or a Guard.

Creeping up the value has removed that. You now spew out everything in your hand in Round 1, pray you have enough points to win the round outright, or cause the opponent to go more than one card down. If you didn't win Round 1, then it's be bled your finisher Round 2, and lose Round 3.

4RM3D;n10339602 said:
Most likely no more big changes to the core of the game (like Gold immunity)
That is what make me nervous. This Game need some changes in the coremechaniks again. Bronze/Silver/Gold cards, i dont even get it why golds are limited, when an normal Bronze or many silvers are stronger than golds. How will you fix, that, when you dont plan to change the core again?

partci;n10345192 said:
Please explain how will this work if the first two cards played are, let's say Viper Witchers?

It wouldn't because it doesn't matter. Even if 2 cards are played at the same time, someone ends up with a higher value and can pass. Even if cards are valued the same, someone has to go first. So :shrug:

Mancoon1980;n10342232 said:
Gotta keep that cash rolling in. The sad part is they have a team as large as much much bigger games and they are obviously putting their resources into things that don't feel important to the biggest Gwent supporters. Fix the game fist before thinking about different Hearthstone clone modes. I originally thought the team was maybe 20 people now to officially learn there are over 150 working on it feels insane for what we have. Not trying to be pessimistic just really want the game to be the Gwent we are looking for. It's name alone and thanks to the amazing artists that are keeping most people playing it at this point.

Consider that a good portion of that team will be exclusively working on the singleplayer content, which most similar games don't have, and it makes a bit more sense. I'm surprised that the team's that big, honestly. Still, makes me more hopeful for Thronebreaker :D

Fimbulthrym;n10345362 said:
That is what make me nervous. This Game need some changes in the coremechaniks again. Bronze/Silver/Gold cards, i dont even get it why golds are limited, when an normal Bronze or many silvers are stronger than golds. How will you fix, that, when you dont plan to change the core again?

There's also the fact that factions just feel the same right now. I can do the same stuff with northern realms as I can do with skellige (Unless you play nilfgard and st and spam spies/dwarves) there's no unique playstyle locked to a certain faction anymore and rows are completely useless. Why are rows even in the game anymore?

masttt23;n10346542 said:
New faction....Aen Elle?

Nah, they'd have to take Wild Hunt from Monster to do that. Which I think would be an excellent idea, but I seriously doubt it.

I would really, really, really rather they fix the coin flip. I'd even take a coin flip fix before a nerf to dwarves. Please CDPR!!

Top Bottom