How many female players out there?

+
Vulfram;n9273221 said:
I don't think CDPR is the type of company to cater to anyone. ...Female hosts is cool if there are any worthy candidates. I would be pretty pissed if some girl got the spot instead of f.ex Merchant because she'll cater to a demographic. I don't think that's a even a viable market strategy, yet many companies do things like this with sex/race.

What do you mean by the whole if...then statement of "Female hosts is cool if there are any worthy candidates." ? I kind of lost you there on the whole being "worthy" and your example of "...f.ex Merchant because she'll cater to a demographic." It actually is a viable market strategy because many companies do use things like these with sex/race. The nice thing about Gwent is that it doesn't seem to matter what gender the player is. Too many online games, like some of the other posters have mentioned, have ruined the experience because some players try and use the game a social vehicle. I think what is appealing about this game is the story from the novels and video games.

Well, I am a female player. I think there are a lot more female gamers than you realise.

As already mentioned in the thread, most women tend to be more on the quieter side when gaming i.e. don't go on mic, don't make it obvious they are female, as there are a lot of weirdos out there! lol.

I know The Witcher 3 is a popular series for female gamers, because of the female characters like Ciri, Yennefer and Triss, so I'm sure a lot of them will transition to Gwent.

MissRoach;n9277801 said:
Well, I am a female player. I think there are a lot more female gamers than you realise.

As already mentioned in the thread, most women tend to be more on the quieter side when gaming i.e. don't go on mic, don't make it obvious they are female, as there are a lot of weirdos out there! lol.

I know The Witcher 3 is a popular series for female gamers, because of the female characters like Ciri, Yennefer and Triss, so I'm sure a lot of them will transition to Gwent.

Never knew Witcher 3 was popular with women how come? Most of the time you are still running around as a male like in any other game and those also often have female characters so why Witcher 3?

And why do men care? Well gaming is something we enjoy greatly so we want to share it with the other thing we care about the most... women;) Which is why we would like to know if they enjoy it too. You wouldnt want to watch a movie with someone and have them HATE it all the way through righto?^^

frbfree;n9255041 said:
Some things here. Actually, a lot of things. I will probably forget more than I post.

Following that, the view that women are a minority by numbers in the gaming world is pretty irrelevant regardless of the statistics. Even if they outnumbered us 4 to 1, male gamers would still treat them as inferior. This argument (which I don't want to relive on these forums) is tired. Women are women. Gamers are gamers. There's no need to subdivide the notion of "women" into "non-gaming" women and "gamer girls". There's also no need to subdivide "gamer" into male or female. There's no need for "shields" or "badgers" or "SJWs".

Wait a sec. I avoid the whole dumb reprensentation vs sjw culture war as much as possible, but given my username... wtf is a badger in this context? Should I be worried? :)
(I just recycled my name from my totally blatant Wolverine ripoff back in City of Heroes, it's stuck with me over the years)

Thanks guys - but haven't had any response from them and can't find anything already written. Will see if they'll get back to me.

Tschjo;n9280181 said:
Never knew Witcher 3 was popular with women how come? Most of the time you are still running around as a male like in any other game and those also often have female characters so why Witcher 3?

And why do men care? Well gaming is something we enjoy greatly so we want to share it with the other thing we care about the most... women;) Which is why we would like to know if they enjoy it too. You wouldnt want to watch a movie with someone and have them HATE it all the way through righto?^^

I think it's a mixture of reasons:

1. There are so many strong female characters in the game. I can't think of any other game series that comes close...Ciri, Yeneffer and Triss - they are all badass and women love that! Even though I guess they are represented in a more sexualised way because of their clothing, they are still taken seriously.

2. The story line is excellent - In general I think most women who are more serious gamers tend to prefer story based games rather than shoot me ups like COD, BF.

3. Even though you are running around as Geralt all the time, Ciri is a major character in Witcher 3, and you still get a lot of gameplay with her.

MissRoach;n9291281 said:
I think it's a mixture of reasons:

1. There are so many strong female characters in the game. I can't think of any other game series that comes close...Ciri, Yeneffer and Triss - they are all badass and women love that! Even though I guess they are represented in a more sexualised way because of their clothing, they are still taken seriously.

2. The story line is excellent - In general I think most women who are more serious gamers tend to prefer story based games rather than shoot me ups like COD, BF.

3. Even though you are running around as Geralt all the time, Ciri is a major character in Witcher 3, and you still get a lot of gameplay with her.

1. I see where you are comming from. On the sexualised part i read somwhere on the net that women acutally prefer playing good looking female characters anyway and as you pointed out even though the sexualisation is there the story is the focus so the characters dont end up as some sort of trophy expecially cause they sometimes just act on their own accord.

2. Based on that assumption it should actually not be that difficult to make franchises like Lara Croft appeal more to women. Increase the story and your participation in it, cut back on CGI eyecandy and instead of using shooting galleries maybe try more intense low enemy count skirmishes like in sone parts of the Last of Us. That explains why women dont give a crap about sport games, too. No story and undeveloped characters.

3. True i missed those well time to replay the whole thing!

Great insight talking to you only question that remains is can Gwent catch those beloved parts of Witcher 3 and recreate them in a card game? And of course what do you like about Gwent?

I'm a woman who got to Gwent via Witcher 3. I'll say this - it took a while for me to work up the gumption to play in casual, and even more to try out ranked. I've never particularly enjoyed multiplayer games. I purposefully played Dark Souls 2 offline just to avoid getting invaded. But, I've come to enjoy the competition aspect (of Gwent - not Dark Souls!)

Tschjo;n9293491 said:
1. I see where you are comming from. On the sexualised part i read somwhere on the net that women acutally prefer playing good looking female characters anyway and as you pointed out even though the sexualisation is there the story is the focus so the characters dont end up as some sort of trophy expecially cause they sometimes just act on their own accord.

2. Based on that assumption it should actually not be that difficult to make franchises like Lara Croft appeal more to women. Increase the story and your participation in it, cut back on CGI eyecandy and instead of using shooting galleries maybe try more intense low enemy count skirmishes like in sone parts of the Last of Us. That explains why women dont give a crap about sport games, too. No story and undeveloped characters.

3. True i missed those well time to replay the whole thing!

Great insight talking to you only question that remains is can Gwent catch those beloved parts of Witcher 3 and recreate them in a card game? And of course what do you like about Gwent?

Hmm good question! I think CD Projekt Red have already done an excellent job at recreating some of the most beloved parts of Witcher 3 in Gwent - from the atmospheric music right down to the amazing card illustrations. The fact I love most about Gwent is being able to still interact with some of my most beloved characters, especially when I'm still suffering from Witcher 3 withdrawal symptoms. :(

Top Bottom