Giving the immune tag back to certain golds

+
Giving the immune tag back to certain golds

(I'm aware this has been briefly touched upon in other threads but I thought it warranted it's own topic)

One of the more interesting things that came out of the midwinter patch was the introduction of the 'immune' tag on cards such as Arachas Queen and Werewolf. I think CDPR opened up a lot of potential design space with the introduction of this tag. Since gold immunity is no longer a thing, targetted effects such as damage, lock, reset have made some of the more interesting gold effects obsolete. Why build around an interesting gold if the entire deck gets shut down by a bronze Azur's thinder or a silver lock or reset card? That leads to use of golds that plop a load of points on the table or take a lot of opponent's points off instead of the more interesting cards that need some deckbuilding panache.

I'm not as aware of the larger card pool but in your opinion, which golds would benefit most from the immune tag to make them playable? I'm not talking about cards like Ciri: Nova - that exists despite cards like Azur's thunder being a thing. Only pick a handful of cards that if made immune would contribute to the general diversity of the decks being played.

Some examples that come to mind:
Original Ciri - why play this when lock or Azur's thunder exist?
Bloody Baron - you've built an entire deck around this.One reset shuts down your deck
Cerys- if immune is only on the battlefied, buff this in the graveyard. It takes a lot of work to get this working. Why does lock/ Azur's thunder make this unplayable?

Golds should be harder to shut down than bronze or silver cards. What cards do you think should be considered? Bear in mind the effort/ rescorce it takes to get the gold to work

Last edited:
Regis,(he drains bonuses but reset him and he is eliminated.) Arachas queen should be immune to scorch. Yennifer and triss turn based spells.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I think it's a good idea, and Ciri would be a perfect subject.

However, i dont think it would make sense for Cerys to receive it - if it gets destroyed, your job is to ressurect another 4 times to call her again, and if she gets locked, you should have a counter lock. What i think she needs is a buff to her pts, and the QG along with her.

Other obvious choices for immune tag are Triss Butt and Yen Con, since their effect is continuous, and if they get an Alzurs thunder right away, they're worthless. However, that could make them too strong and hard to stop, so maybe the immune tag wouldnt be the best option, but they need some kind of extra defense because right now they arent viable.

Making Yen Con and Triss Butt immune would move them from one extreme to the other, except that as immune cards they can't be locked anymore, which would make them insanely strong.

What about Iris? She can't be locked anymore, but can't be targeted by enforcers or other direct damage effects either. This might make her more reliable and allow some other nerfs.

Immune Ciri will be a HORRIBLE idea, but she, as Triss: Butt and Yen: Con should get the Borkh treatment and move to the 13 STR range, which will make Manticore Venom/Glorious Hunt a lot more playable as cards as well. Maybe all of this ongoing effect Golds should get that treatment too.

Here's another idea, Immune is a bad and misleading keyword and shouldn't be in the game in the first place.

Imune Ciri and Yen and Sucubus would be good. You can stil lock them, scorch them, frost them.

Pruny;n10199472 said:
Imune Ciri and Yen and Sucubus... You can stil lock them...

Em, nope.

And Succubus especially... I'm playing the card regularly and it is more often bonkers than not.

hydra66;n10195002 said:
Original Ciri - why play this when lock or Azur's thunder exist?

Who wouldn't play her if by virtue of not being subject to targeting she provided a stunning +1CA :)?

Some cards (like Succubus, Triss:Butt) should have some protection to avoid seeing them be crushed like paper, though.
I think more armor should do the trick, in general; Triss:Butt and Yencon should not be vulnerable to Alzur, we talk a Bronze countering a Gold.

Baron and Regis (and other buff-dependent Golds) would become too powerful if immune to resetting.
I think bigger base Str and lesser potential buff might do the trick; suppose Baron starting with 12 Str but getting buff once a turn when enemy was destroyed, instead once a destroyed enemy.
Regis could start with 6-7 base Str and Drain half the enemy buff (becoming a lesser Unseen Elder)

Ciri:Nova is the only one I'd leave completely vulnerable to reset/scorch/whatever, due to her big swing.

partci;n10198972 said:
Immune Ciri will be a HORRIBLE idea, but she, as Triss: Butt and Yen: Con should get the Borkh treatment and move to the 13 STR range, which will make Manticore Venom/Glorious Hunt a lot more playable as cards as well. Maybe all of this ongoing effect Golds should get that treatment too.
+1 although I would recommend 10 instead of 13.

I'd say "immunity" as it is right now in the game would not be ideal for a lot of gold cards. Some of them have very strong effects, if you can't counter them it's devastating. You need to able to counter Ciri, Triss Butterfly and cards like that in some way. Locking gold cards like that should always be possible. For a similar reason Cerys needs to have a counter that isn't called scorch or igni. That card can get insanely big and it is sometimes played three times. You need to be able to prevent that.

Other than that, I think Bloody Baron doesn't need an immune tag, he probably needs to be strengthened instead of buffed. Compared to other gold cards that wouldn't make him too strong.

Top Bottom