Please Work on Bronze Points Standards

+
Please Work on Bronze Points Standards

Please be clear on the difference of units and special cards' values. Special cards were supposedly worse than units until Mahakam Ale came out which worth the same as a standard unit right now (at 12). It's so weird how jumbled those special cards are, Alzur's Thunder which just do that only worth 9 max, thanks to Ithlinne. Her existence pretty much reduces the value of each individual bronze spell, or otherwise she would be deemed op. Please take this into a much clearer direction.

Unit values and special cards values should worth around the same. Units that plays another full bronze card should have 1 point max, unless it's more conditional. Weathers have its own section.

Bronze Units:
- 11 = unconditional, you play it, you always get this number no matter what. (this means bears should get a nerf, or this category go up to 12 and Fiend goes up to 12 alongside Tridam Infantryman and Clan An Craite Warrior)
- 12 = little condition, this includes the values of units that do big damage (since they can miss some damage due to not having the proper target), delayed value (like hand-buff for example), and summoners (cards that require other cards to be inside the deck when you play them, like Alba Pikeman which currently is underpowered at 9 points, should at least be 12 since they can potentially split into 2 bronzes which do 4pts/8pts). This category is also meant for cards like Dol Blathanna Trapper whose value is dependent on the enemy, in this case 12 should be the average of the worst practical outcome to the practical big outcome.
- 13 = those that plays another bronze card that you can put directly into the deck, including resurrect effects, and those that plays a special card from the deck. That 13 is 1 (the value of the summoner) + 12 (the average value of bronze cards in general). Weather-pullers are explained in the weather section.
- 13+ = hard-condition cards like Ghoul.
- 14 = card-pullers that have harder condition than the one above. Prime example is the current Slyzard (2 + 12 points assumption from what he pulls). Sage is not supposed to be included here, Sage should be a category-13 card since reusing cards is a positive thing by itself.
- 14+ = engines, while there are a lot of variation in this category, there should be a general rule about them as well. Like, those that generate only +1 point per turn should worth 10 when they're just played (including their first +1 tick), then after you play other 4 cards, they have this 14 points value. There are a bunch other calculations for other stuffs like Imperas and Arachas Behemoth, but I think they're fine being balanced in the way CDPR does it right now.
- 4 or less = free values, like Blue Stripes Commando, but not those that summon other copies of themselves like Temerian Infantryman. This also includes Elven Wardancer, Daerlan Foot Soldiers, Clan An Craite Raider, etc. And interestingly, Fire Scorpion is included in this as well, in quite a balanced way. If you subtract 4 from its total worth of 15, you get 11 which is the base value in the correct category (low damage doesn't count for category-12). Generally, 3 is for those with easier requirements, 4 for the harder ones.
Keep in mind that those 11 can still have other practical uses, like Fiend is a Relict and have good stats to be consumed by Ghoul (making the average value/card becomes 13, (11+15)/2=13). Tridam Infantryman have armor, etc.

Bronze Special Cards:
- 11 = usually single target stuffs, like Swallow Potion (which according to this category, should be 11 points boost). While it might be weird including Alzur's Thunder here due to the fact that it can kill engines, I think it is necessary if special cards are going to be equalized with units. Don't forget that Alzur's Thunder doesn't make any unit on your side, which is quite a downside. I even have the idea of making the card more flexible by making it do damage twice, like 6 then 5 or something.
- 12 = more conditional boosters like Mahakam Ale. On another thought, Alzur's Thunder should go here instead and says 'Deal 6 damage twice', since this kind of damage were included on category-12 for units. So this category should include high-damagers like thunder.
- 12+ = conditional damagers, like Crow's Eye, Lacerate.
- 13+ = high-condition cards, like Mardroeme. This should include Overdose and Fullmoon Potion as well (making them hit up to 7 units instead).
- 4 or less = free special cards, should this kind of cards ever get made.
Weathers are not included in this list, and have its own section below. Keep in mind that those points change should be accompanied by point nerfs on special cards pullers/summoners.

Bronze Weathers:
Lastly, the bronze weathers. They can do a great deal, yet they can do way less easier. Bronze weather summoners are needed to make their points worth more, and if they do work uncountered, that tremendous amount of points is what's going to be there.
- Bronze Weather = 2, +2 per card you play following them.
There's a similar card to this, while requiring a little setup to reach that 2 value/turn, Redanian Knight Elect. But the thing is, it's way easier to pop that 2 armor (or lock the unit), than to play first light in every deck, which can lower some of the deck consistency. Or the need of running the "mages", which eats up 1 silver slot. And it's really annoying if you run the mage/first light, but not getting them when you need them, while you included them in the deck primarily to counter those weathers in the first place.
So please, just make weathers do better points, but within a duration instead. Like, Frost: Deal 3 damage to the highest unit and the lowest unit on the row, 2 turns duration. (Total 12 points maximum). Then there's not much need to run the weather clears, since the value of those weathers won't get out of hand in the first place. With this, those weather summoners should worth 2 points max (for a possible total of 14 points play, requiring a card from deck, and 2 turns).
So to sum up the changes:
- 6/turn in 2 turns.
- 4/turn in 3 turns. That 4 can easily be a variable number instead since it takes 3 turns for its full value. Like, Rain: Deal 1 damage to up to 5 random units on the row, 3 turns duration.
- No more 2/turn until the round ends.
Those should apply to boon as well (and don't forget that I mean Hazard when I say weather anywhere here). Gold weathers are... Idk really, but giving them duration is something that I hope. And I think 4 turns is the best number, 8/16/24 points worth if it hits 1/2/3 rows. Plus make them unclearable. Skellige Storm: 3/2/1 damage, 3 turns duration, unclearable.

I don't really care about them weathers, I'll just bear with it even if it's annoying sometimes. But please, standardize them bronze cards, since they're the 15 cards in every 25-cards deck.

Last edited:
A lot of what you're pointing out in this post are things that I've thought a lot about during the last week or so. It's good to see I'm not the only one with these ideas.

That being said, the way I've structured it is by organizing all cards into 3 different categories:

1. No risk, no reward
11 power.
Between 0 and 1 conditions to meet. If the card has a condition to meet, it is very easy.
For example: Fiend, Dwarven Skirmisher

2. Some risk, some reward
12-13 power.
Between 1 and 2 conditions to meet. One of the conditions can be medium difficulty to meet.
For example: Wild Hunt Warrior, Redanian Elite

3. High Risk, high reward
14+ power.
Requires synergy or good timing to reach its potential. Can have very hard conditions to meet.
For example: any engine card

Good to see you too. Generally that's how the cards should be structured.

These are the things which really should be standardized:
1. Units that play another full (non-token) bronze cards should be 1 point max. Slyzard is fine on 2 due to its high-requirement (2 same cards, 1 in grave, 1 in deck). By making them all at 1, there's no "special cards are meant to be pulled by units" thing.
2. Special cards should be stronger than now, they should worth the same amount of points as units. Special cards already have requirements, and most of them are counterable in some ways. Even Alzur's Thunder should worth 12 points, some engines/long round value units already do something when they're played, whereas thunder just remove something without any possible surplus. Thunder in practice says "you play 0 point on your own field, to make 1 of your opponent's card worth 0 point", unlike the usual unit vs unit play which practically says "your opponent played a 12 points worth unit, but you play a 13 points worth unit, therefore you win by 1 point".
3. Instead, nerf stuffs like Ithlinne, and those silver mages in case special cards get their buff. Ithlinne should be a spy just like how Dijkstra is. Please don't mis-nerf stuffs, bronze cards should have their standards. It's silver and gold cards job to follow bronze cards' standards.
4. Bronze weathers should get a tweak, shorter duration but stronger effects. To make them the same power level as units. And eliminate the mandatory needs of using weather-pullers and weather-clears, which if weathers got a buff, the weather-pullers can sit at 2 points and still being a ~14 value bronzes.

Or just be clear that special cards are meant to be played by other units, so Mahakam Ale should get a nerf, etc. Because ale on its own already worth 12 points which is op if special cards are supposed to be on lower value than units.

Last edited:
Units I agree with. Specials not so much. Only reason being, Ithlinne. Ithlinne into Double Alzur's Thunder can be devastating plus deck thinning. If that one got reworked, then yes (and it eventually will need a rework). You could standardize the specials but not the spells though

I agree with a lot that has been said in this thread. Base on a 9 point thunder, the standard for Bronze:

1. No risk, no reward
9~11 power.
Between 0 and 1 conditions to meet. If the card has a condition to meet, it is very easy. e.g. Fiend, Dwarven Skirmisher

2. Some risk, some reward
11~13 power.
Between 1 and 2 conditions to meet. One of the conditions can be medium difficulty to meet e.g. Wild Hunt Warrior, Redanian Elite

3. High Risk, high reward
7+ power.
Engine cards, that requires synergy, time and it to stick on board to reach full potential. Can have very hard conditions to meet e.g. engine cards Axeman, Greatsword. Initially it can be disrupted by specials thus they should starts with 7~9 points, rarely higher than that.

4. Puller
1~2 power

5. Swarm units, engine enabler e.g. cursed units, slave infantry
1~7 power
Engine enablers are units that itself does not gain power deeper in the round, but enable other cards to be more points worthly

6. Specials (reactive)
?~12 power
Specials requires enemy on board is already a condition for it to be played its value. It should used for disruptors to kill engines, or disable engine enablers. It should not be overwhelming as most people will like a game of Gwent an engine driven game.

I think this is a bad idea personally. Certain bronze cards should be limited in the amount of power they can produce, but making all bronze cards eventually reach the same power would make the game boring.

ser2440;n10449272 said:
Units I agree with. Specials not so much. Only reason being, Ithlinne. Ithlinne into Double Alzur's Thunder can be devastating plus deck thinning. If that one got reworked, then yes (and it eventually will need a rework). You could standardize the specials but not the spells though
Ithlinne is the problem from the start in my opinion, wasn't tremors or thunder. Should revert back to spying with 4+ power.

ChaosPhantom819;n10450052 said:
I think this is a bad idea personally. Certain bronze cards should be limited in the amount of power they can produce, but making all bronze cards eventually reach the same power would make the game boring.
This won't make every bronze card the same power. But it reduces the range of their power. At the moment it is around 9 - 14+ I believe. Would be better if this becomes 11 - 13, and 14+ being engines.

Top Bottom