Balance overhaul suggestions (Monsters)

+
Balance overhaul suggestions (Monsters)

This is my big balance overhaul (part 3, you can see part 1 and part 2 here). I'd just like to share some of my opinions and ideas with the community. Hopefully, someone will read this.

The new patch could be considered nothing more than a balance fix for the Midwinter Patch. The only thing that has seemingly changed so far is that Dwarves are gone and Impera Enforcers are back to their old state. Here are some more in-depth changes

If you want to hear the reasoning for any of the changes I made, feel free to ask me in the comments.
Monsters

Succubus
10 Strength. After 2 turns, Charm the lowest enemy on the opposite row.
Makes the card stronger when countered and improves counterplay

Alghoul
6 Strength. Consume a Bronze or Silver unit from either graveyard and damage an enemy by its power.
Differentiates the card more from bronze Ghouls, and adds more interaction to the consume archetype.

Striga
7 Strength. Deal 5 damage to an enemy. If that kills it, Strengthen a random Beast or Relict in your hand by 3.
Makes the card more interesting and defines an archetype for it.

Werecat
6 Strength. Deal 4 damage to an enemy. If this unit is under Full Moon, increase the damage by 3. If the enemy is under Blood Moon, increase the damage by 3.
Supports an interesting playstyle in which Blood Moon could be played alongside Full Moon (the damage bonuses stack).

Whispering Hillock
10 Strength. Trigger the Deathwish of two units in your graveyard.
Clearly defines an archetype and removes randomness.

Ice Giant
7 Strength. If frost is on the board, boost self by 7.

Lamia
7 Strength. Deal 1 damage to all enemies under Blood Moon.
Makes the card more interesting in Blood Moon decks than just basic points.

Wyvern
4 Strength. Deal 2 damage to an enemy for each Draconid in your graveyard, up to a maximum of 10 damage.
Adds synergy to a bland card.

Ifrit
8 Strength. Spawn 1 Strength Lesser Ifrits on this row and on the opposite row until both rows are full.
Makes the card more powerful in a Swarm deck, but requires you to play differently to gain maximum value from it.

Wild Hunt Drakkar
Increase Strength from 7 to 9. Return the interaction of it damaging Wild Hunt allies when Locked or Destroyed.
Improves a weak yet interesting card and brings back interaction and counterplay.

Wild Hunt Rider
If an enemy on the opposite row dies to frost, boost self by the overkill damage.
Prevents the loss of value when killing weak units

Imlerith
Increase the base damage to 5 and damage to enemies under frost to 10.

Alpha Werewolf
9 Strength. If this unit is under Moonlight at the end of the turn, spawn a 1 Strength Wolf on this row.
You'd have to play your other Werewolves carefully with this change.

Golyat
8 Strength. Duel a Lower enemy.

Old Speartip
6 Strength. After 3 turns, wake up.
Old Speartip: Awake
10 Strength 8 Armor. Duel the Highest enemy.
Remove "Sleeping Giant" from the game and bring back Old speartip with an updated ability.

Big Nekker Rework:

Nekker
8 Strength. Deathwish: If it's your turn, play another copy of this unit from your deck.
This way, Nekkers can now be killed to deny them their ability

Nekker Warrior
Can now target units in the graveyard as well.
This change is necessary since the new Nekkers can now be killed.

Cockatrice
7 Strength. Deathwish: deal 7 damage to an enemy.
Alternate consume synergy, similar to Celaeno Harpies (the damage is targeted).

Vran Warrior
7 Strength. At the start of your turn, consume the unit to the right. Repeat up to 4 times.
Vrans can now be killed before their ability activates, but it's much more frequent now - meaning you can get more value from Nekkers if the Vran isn't answered.

Mourntart (Grave Hag)
5 Strength. Consume 3 Deathwish units from your graveyard and boost self by half their base power.
A bit of a finisher for Deathwish or Consume decks that run Nekkers.

I'd like to thank anyone who has read this post (even those who just looked at a couple of cards). Please tell me what you think. I welcome any suggestions.
Previous posts:
Neutral
Northern Realms

Last edited:
I agree that's monsters need an over haul.however I love the element of surprise with a late game succubus. Turning succubus into a 14 gold won't help it much . It could help if round 3 is 2 cards total though.

As I'm not really a monster player I can't say that much about the suggested changes.
Whispering Hillock sounds like a great improvement.
Succubus sounds less risky but a lot healthier. I'm only a bit worried about the enemy just playing a 1 strength unit. I would make her trigger at the end of your turn instead at the beginnning such that you can at least move an enemy out of the enemy row.
Werecat sounds like a good improvement.
The effect for Wild Hunt Riders seems to strong for me. I honestly think their current effect is strong enough, but that effect would be really interesting on a different unit.
Ifrit would be completly broken with Boulder.
Alpha Werewolf should have less basestrength with this change. 8 would be better, so it is in Alzurs reach.
Nekker and Mourntart changes are great, too.

FG15-ISH7EG;n10453792 said:
As I'm not really a monster player I can't say that much about the suggested changes.
Whispering Hillock sounds like a great improvement.
Succubus sounds less risky but a lot healthier. I'm only a bit worried about the enemy just playing a 1 strength unit. I would make her trigger at the end of your turn instead at the beginnning such that you can at least move an enemy out of the enemy row.
Werecat sounds like a good improvement.
The effect for Wild Hunt Riders seems to strong for me. I honestly think their current effect is strong enough, but that effect would be really interesting on a different unit.
Ifrit would be completly broken with Boulder.
Alpha Werewolf should have less basestrength with this change. 8 would be better, so it is in Alzurs reach.
Nekker and Mourntart changes are great, too.

Making Succ trigger at the end might be a bit too problematic. I'd be a bit too afraid of this change.

I never thought about the interaction with Ifrit and Boulder. But just between you and me, I think that boulder isn't a well designed card. It's just limiting design space and asking for trouble in the future. Thanks for pointing this out though. If not for boulder, how powerful do you think Ifrit would be? Obviously, the most glaring synergy is with Triss: Butterfly spell along with Draug.

Alpha Werewolves being vulnerable to Alzur's seems fair, but 8 strength is too low imo. 9 is ideal, thanks for the feedback.

Succubus is fine, really. It is a high risk/high payoff card. The way you propose would make it much less interesting. (And not very viable, since low point cards are really common.)

Whispering Hillock might need a rework, it is one of the least used new leaders. About your suggestion, I am afraid it is very uninteractable; it has zero counterplay. (And you need to reword to play and kill it, so you would know what row to apply to.)

Golyat, honestly, I feel the current design is more interesting and unique than what you propose. (An old Champion.)

Old Speartip: this one I fully agree. I understand that CDPR doesn't want to waste multiple arts in one card, and most of the changes worked out okay, but this one is so flavorful: I really hope they make Old Speartip whole again.

Nekker needs rework. Any strategy that is either counter or lose is not great design. Making Nekkers that get killed not spawning new ones I feel is a decent change that could fix this. Nekker warrior targeting graveyard I don't like at all.

Other cards I think are fine as they are.

Succubus should have immune tag and power of 2. In theory all it needs is a 10 point target to do 22 point swing (2+10-10 from opponent.) This would still be vulnerable to epidemic but would be immune from most other attacks.

DannyGuy;n10452192 said:
Succubus
10 Strength. After 2 turns, Charm the lowest enemy on the opposite row.
Makes the card stronger when countered and improves counterplay
Succ is PERFECTLY fine as it is and can ruin a perfect day for absolutely anybody.

DannyGuy;n10452192 said:
Ice Giant
7 Strength. If frost is on the board, boost self by 7.
I'll give you one better - boost by their base strength,cause they might've been strengthened with Sleeping Giant. Still a crap card, but at least something.

DannyGuy;n10452192 said:
Lamia
7 Strength. Deal 1 damage to all enemies under Blood Moon.
Makes the card more interesting in Blood Moon decks than just basic points.
Maybe make her do 1 damage to all enemies on a oposing Bue Moon Row too, like the Werecat (love her suggestion)?

DannyGuy;n10452192 said:
Wyvern
4 Strength. Deal 2 damage to an enemy for each Draconid in your graveyard, up to a maximum of 10 damage.
Adds synergy to a bland card.
Err... this sounds kinda stupid. Maybe go with them with the Viper Witcher's mechanic - strengthen/damage by 1 for each Draconid in your starting deck.

DannyGuy;n10452192 said:
Wild Hunt Drakkar
Increase Strength from 7 to 9. Return the interaction of it damaging Wild Hunt allies when Locked or Destroyed.
Improves a weak yet interesting card and brings back interaction and counterplay.
This would be absolutely BAD, as it is kind of a playable card right now. It's just the Archetype that needs some points buff. Like, buff the Drakkars to 8 seems just fine.

DannyGuy;n10452192 said:
Wild Hunt Rider
They are fine as they are.

DannyGuy;n10452192 said:
Golyat
8 Strength. Duel a Lower enemy.
This makes absolutely no sense and way worse than what CoA was.

DannyGuy;n10452192 said:
Cockatrice
7 Strength. Deathwish: deal 7 damage to an enemy.
Alternate consume synergy, similar to Celaeno Harpies (the damage is targeted).
I really liked their old interaction of boosting by 2 for every Deatwish Unit on the board. It turned out really, really good at the end (easy 16 points drop most of the times with CHarpies). And the card totally sucks now.

DannyGuy;n10452192 said:
Mourntart (Grave Hag)
5 Strength. Consume 3 Deathwish units from your graveyard and boost self by half their base power.
A bit of a finisher for Deathwish or Consume decks that run Nekkers.
This sounds interesting, but 3 units may be a bit too much, like 3 Archespores are 21 points...

partci;n10455772 said:
Succubus
Succ is PERFECTLY fine as it is and can ruin a perfect day for absolutely anybody.

Ice Giant
I'll give you one better - boost by their base strength,cause they might've been strengthened with Sleeping Giant. Still a crap card, but at least something.

Lamia
Maybe make her do 1 damage to all enemies on a oposing Bue Moon Row too, like the Werecat (love her suggestion)?

Wyvern
Err... this sounds kinda stupid. Maybe go with them with the Viper Witcher's mechanic - strengthen/damage by 1 for each Draconid in your starting deck.

Wild Hunt Drakkar
This would be absolutely BAD, as it is kind of a playable card right now. It's just the Archetype that needs some points buff. Like, buff the Drakkars to 8 seems just fine.

Wild Hunt Rider
They are fine as they are.

Golyat
This makes absolutely no sense and way worse than what CoA was.

Cockatrice
I really liked their old interaction of boosting by 2 for every Deatwish Unit on the board. It turned out really, really good at the end (easy 16 points drop most of the times with CHarpies). And the card totally sucks now.

Mourntart
This sounds interesting, but 3 units may be a bit too much, like 3 Archespores are 21 points...

Sucubus seemes to be a card loved by many. Personally, I don't play decks without removal, so I don't care if she doesn't get changed. Fine, I won't touch her.

Lamia dealing 1 damage to all enemies on a single blood moon row makes more sense probably, thanks.

As someone who plays Wild Hunt a lot, I can tell you that Wild Hunt Drakkars are absolutely not playable. In order for them to be playable, they have to be at least 9 Strength. I liked their old mechanic, don't see the problem with returning a cool interactive ability like that.

Wild Hunt Riders are more or less fine, yeah, but they lose so much value due to overkill. I'd be willing to reduce them to 8 strength if they boosted by the overkill damage

I am not sure what the acronym "CoA" stands for.

Yeah, Cockatrice would be best if reverted back to the deathwish synergy card it was. Now the archetype is completely dead because of it.

Mourntart only boosts by half the base strength, so consuming 3 Archespores would be 11 points (rounded up) plus the 5 base, so 16 points.

Top Bottom