[Utility] Strings encoder for adding new strings (new ids and keys) as standalone w3strings file

+
The size should not be a problem. I tested decoding and reencoding of the game files which are much bigger.

This looks like some broken utf8 <-> utf16 conversion. Try to decode your encoded file again and check if the results differ from your input csv.

If they do or if the file cannot be decoded again then please attach/sent me a minimal version of your csv file that is not working and I look into it.

Thank you for the reply.

The file cannot be decoded back.

Here is a log:

INFO - ENCODING ru.for_sbf.csv to ru.for_sbf.csv.w3strings (testscript: ru.for_sbf.csv.w3strings.ws)INFO - opening ru.for_sbf.csv...
INFO - identified language: ru
WARN - skipping id space check!
INFO - creating ru.for_sbf.csv.w3strings...
INFO - storing language: ru
INFO - storing 8 strings
INFO - creating ru.for_sbf.csv.w3strings.ws...

E:\Witcher3Moding\w3strings encoder-1055-0-2-1>call w3strings.exe --decode ru.for_sbf.csv.w3strings
w3strings decoder/encoder v0.2.1
INFO - DECODING ru.for_sbf.csv.w3strings to ru.for_sbf.csv.w3strings.csv
INFO - opening ru.for_sbf.csv.w3strings...
INFO - identified language: ru
INFO - found 8 strings
INFO - found 6 string key mapping infos
thread '<main>' panicked at 'error: found unknown data block [0x243e 1 bytes] after utf16 data!', src\w3strings\binary\redcoded.rs:213

Here is the link for not working csv: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4iZ-Xpp7wSHeVBqekZ1S0lwSDg/view?usp=sharing

If you delete just one character from anywhere in this file it will work and decode, but now it's not working.

Weird bug. It has something to do with the utf conversion but so far I have no idea what the underlying issue is. Will need to dissect it but this will take time...

I stand corrected: utf conversion was not the culprit but the encoding of the number of characters. It was broken for a specific range of characters. Should be fixed now.

I uploaded a new version to nexusmods.

Last edited:
We want to use this utility for creating additional localization (Ukrainian). I use MATLAB for work with CSV file. And I have some error with encoding after that: "column number mistmatch".

Last edited:
We want to use this utility for creating additional localization (Ukrainian). I use MATLAB for work with CSV file. And I have some error with encoding after that: "column number mistmatch".
Open the file with notepad++ and check that the number of columns is exactly like in the example csv (for every line). If it's not adjust accordingly and save the file as UTF8 without BOM.

Try to reencode with -v option to get a more verbose output. It may provide some more info where the error is located.

If it still doesn't work post the log with the error.

Sorry. It was false alarm.
check that the number of columns is exactly
I had a problem with interpretation special symbols when they was written to the file. As results I had a broken structure of the file.

I have fixed the bug and got translation in the game and we can start to work =) Thank you for this tool!

Could anyone know where are text of movies, which play before the game and a loading of save game?

Guest 3841499

There are 2 mods for which I would like to these strings - Atmospheric Nights / Darker Nights and Roach Gallup Dust, but they do not come with CSV files or w3strings files... Without Custom Localization Fix, I can't see Menu Names in Mods section of Main Menu. There is empty space instead, but I can click on it and adjust settings...

Last edited by a moderator:
you can see the string keys in the menu xmls and from there you could make your own strings

Guest 3841499

I actually found some versions that had strings and resolved all these issues! Thanks though!

Top Bottom