Missed Mutagens? Ancient Leshen, Doppler, Succubus (Spoilers)

+
Missed Mutagens? Ancient Leshen, Doppler, Succubus (Spoilers)

So I am a completionist - loving the exploration in this game - but that also means I need to get every recipe/diagram possible as well. I'm a good way into the story, and now it seems that choices made in side quests I've done have now locked items from me: the Ancient Leshen, Succubus, and Doppler decoctions, which require the respective mutagen in order to craft. As far as I can tell based on searching the maps and trying to find other threads about it, one can only get these mutagens by killing the respective monster as part of a side quest. So far I've had the opportunity to kill one Ancient Leshen, two Succubi, and one Doppler in side quests, but chose the merciful route.

Can anyone who has gone further in the game confirm that there is no way later to get these mutagens? If these decoctions are lost to me forever, this is disappointing. I can understand from a story standpoint that there are consequences of both decisions of a quest, but as a completionist the item lockout gets under my skin! I'd like to see at least one side quest for each of these where killing the monster and obtaining the mutagen is not a choice to be made, so that lockout doesn't happen.

More than one "Ancient" leshen? There is another Leshen Decoction, as well as the Ancient one if you weren't aware.

I'm afraid your only crack at the Ancient Leshen mutagen was the quest on Skellige. As for Succubi and Dopplers? Those are the only ones I know of that you can kill.

Moral of the story: never be merciful in a video game.
It's funny because I let the succubus live in that quest at first, checked my inventory and noticed that I needed her mutagen, then said "fuck that" and reverted to the last save and killed her. I killed an innocent women but all in all the Decoction does have some pretty good stats so...

I know of a couple, there are 2 chances to get a Succubus mutagen, one is a contract in Novigrad(noticeboard near Golden Sturgeon) the other is during the quest for Gremist the master Alchemist, the Doppler Mutagen you can obtain from Contract: Imp also in Novigrad but I'm unsure of which board it's posted, and the only Ancient Leshen I've found is during the Contract "Woodland Spirit".

sadly all these mutagens I've listed require you to kill "innocent" monsters, the leshen is punishing folk cause they've dishonored their ways and disgraced it's gifts

hope it helps some

I don't mind not getting the decoctions since they require my Geralt to kill them: the Doppler was straling food, the Succubus in Novigrad killed in self defense and the other wasn't bad either. Also the Anciente Leshen turned out to be a lesser evil than Sven, the human who contracted the witcher.

Anyway, while it would be nice to have some really bad succubus/doppler to fight i don't mind not having those potions :)

Now I feel torn in between having the potion or the weapon schematics. A level 42 steel sword...

i.imgur.com/s033Xlm. jpg

I'm in the same boat, even on my second play through. Would be great to have quest involving a Doppler and Succubus in next patch or DLC where the choice of killing them was more obvious. I would trade all my gold now to be able to get those Mutagens.

I was able to get both, scheme and doppler decoction, the sword scheme gets sold also later by one of the weapon smith npcs in skellige!!

theres 2 succbi in the game, just kill the first one in novigrad and your done, the was dangerous and hasn't had her thirst under control anyways, trying to hide that as exuse of "self defense" to trick you into not killing her.

ancient leshend do u get by doing the quest heart of woods in skellige, youve to do that quest anyways if you want to get also an achievement, so its just dumb to do that quest not on the first tiem to get the decoction/achievement and the better rewards in general.
Doinmg this quest in a different way is something for your follow up playthrough, same as like sparing the doppler... now when theres NG+, theres anyways no problems anymore with limited options, because you do on first playthrough simply alsway just the options that nmeds you the best loot, but might be perhaps immorale for you and then with NG+ you do just always the actions, that you think are "right", even if they wont be as rewarding as doing the immorale things.

Last edited:
When I first went to Bald Mountain, I hoped the Succubi with Imlerith would attack. That might have been a good chance at getting that mutagen without killing an innocent monster.

Don't you also have a chance at the Doppler mutagen in "Contract: Skellige's Most Wanted" if they all attack you? And I also wish you could mention Vincent Meis in this quest if you imported a save.

Well if you play Count Romily's Treasure hunt you'll bumb into one ancient leshesn there, so theres 2 ALeshens 1 Doppler and 2 Succubi

Yeah, there are a good handful of decoctions I still haven't encountered the relevant monsters for. But to be fair, I still haven't discovered half of Skellige and Novigrad so I'm sure they'll come up eventually!

Top Bottom