Data corrupted

+
Data corrupted

I had gotten all the legendary grandmaster gears, and now it says "Data corrupted" when i try to log in after the game crashed. It starts a new save!! I had gotten so far...

Nuts.

1.) Using any mods, or have you ever used any in the past?

2.) If on PC, have you tried running a verify / repair through Steam / GOG / Origin?

3.) Did Windows 10 happen to update recently?

4.) How long have you been playing this playthrough (no. of hours)? Were you in a standard game or NG+?

In general, banking on only one save file is a bad idea if it can be avoided. You should have a series of autosaves that you can roll back to, so a single, corrupted save file should not result in the loss of so much progress. What platform are you on?

SigilFey;n10346282 said:
Nuts.
1.) Using any mods, or have you ever used any in the past?
2.) If on PC, have you tried running a verify / repair through Steam / GOG / Origin?
3.) Did Windows 10 happen to update recently?
4.) How long have you been playing this playthrough (no. of hours)? Were you in a standard game or NG+?
In general, banking on only one save file is a bad idea if it can be avoided. You should have a series of autosaves that you can roll back to, so a single, corrupted save file should not result in the loss of so much progress. What platform are you on?

No worries, it started working. It just says "Data is corrupted" from time to time, but everything still works. I'm on NG+ and PS4. No mods, and I don't know how many hours but I've had the game since november 2016, so a lot of hours.

Two things:

1.) There are some issues arising on PS4 right now as the devs continue cracking on the wider issues. Stay tuned for updates and stuff. Some of this may simply vanish.

2.) You're probably reaching the limit of what the game can reasonably do for length. (Dark Souls / an MMO this is not.) The game takes about 200 hours to completely play through the main quest and most side quests for both standard game and NG+ combined. It starts to have definitive issues after the ~1,600 hour mark, but will probably have some issues long before that. I would estimate that anything after 400 hours is beginning to push the engine into places it was not designed to go.

Hopefully you're able to make it through main quest, at least. If not, now might be a great time to start considering a fresh playthrough. :)

Separate topic: are you experiencing any performance issues? You're on PS4 or PS4 Pro?

SigilFey;n10413962 said:
Two things:
1.) There are some issues arising on PS4 right now as the devs continue cracking on the wider issues. Stay tuned for updates and stuff. Some of this may simply vanish.
2.) You're probably reaching the limit of what the game can reasonably do for length. (Dark Souls / an MMO this is not.) The game takes about 200 hours to completely play through the main quest and most side quests for both standard game and NG+ combined. It starts to have definitive issues after the ~1,600 hour mark, but will probably have some issues long before that. I would estimate that anything after 400 hours is beginning to push the engine into places it was not designed to go.
Hopefully you're able to make it through main quest, at least. If not, now might be a great time to start considering a fresh playthrough.
Separate topic: are you experiencing any performance issues? You're on PS4 or PS4 Pro?

That must be why you can't make a second new game plus! There hasn't been a lot of issues. I remember I couldn't loot something to get the wolven gear in kaer morhen or the ofieri gear, but that was on my first playthrough, LONG before 400 h. Both worked in ng+. I don't want you to think the game was ruined, it only says "data is corrupted", I need to adjust the brightness so the witcher logo is barely visible, then everything works like it did before. I'm on regular PS4.

Hannes2002;n10462162 said:
That must be why you can't make a second new game plus! There hasn't been a lot of issues. I remember I couldn't loot something to get the wolven gear in kaer morhen or the ofieri gear, but that was on my first playthrough, LONG before 400 h. Both worked in ng+. I don't want you to think the game was ruined, it only says "data is corrupted", I need to adjust the brightness so the witcher logo is barely visible, then everything works like it did before. I'm on regular PS4.

The limit of only one NG+ has to do primarily with the game engine not being originally designed for even one NG+. After the patch was released to allow for it, there was a selection of problems where there engines calculations would get wildly out of whack with higher levels. Eventually, to correct that issue, everything was hard-capped to Level 100. Most players are going to be at least in the high 80's at the end of a second playthrough. That's the ceiling for what the engine can reasonably do, and there are still a few issues remaining with enemy scaling (like buffs from skills or signs being ineffectual at the highest levels [the enemies' resistances negate even 100% chances] or rats that can kill you with one hit with NPC Level Scaling on).

Sounds like you've simply run into some other issue. It's likely the result of data getting corrupted due to a conflict during a version update or some other obscure issue. There are bugs remaining whose sources could not be found or for which the fix would knowingly break other areas of the game that would be far more damaging. If rolling back to earlier saves exhibit the same issue, the only option you may have is to begin a new playthrough. :(

If you can send a saved game into CDPR Support, go ahead and do so. Sometimes, they can force the game back into a workable state.

http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

Top Bottom