Cyberpunk 2077 Day vs Night and Atmosphere Thread

+

Should there be rain and storm in the game?

• Total voters
One of W3's biggest success stories was how they utilised lighting and tone to extend the narrative and tell a story of where you were, from the cities to the war-zones to the swamps. CPR will most certainly expand on their colour palettes for C2077.

As for choosing the stark day time for the gameplay demo I wouldn't put it past them to have wanted to smash expectations of what a cyberpunk-like traditionally looked like and what everyone was expecting. It's a clear statement that CPR wants to take the genre and setting further to match their ambitions for the game.

No thanks, I want the world to look like Earth, not some Villeneuve movie. The demo had it just right and it was a joy to walk through the city.

What's the most frightening thing ? People commiting a crime in a dark alley at midnight while it's raining and no one's around, or people commiting that same crime in broad daylight while crowds are walking nearby and nobody cares because the police is under their control ?

I think CDPR take on the cyberpunk setting is daring, and thus perfect. People don't seem to know it's a philosophy in CDPR, but when you know them back from TW1 days, you can tell those folks are interested in breaking the rules and doing daring things over and over (like when they chose to do two exclusive paths on TW2). They don't want to play safe, or otherwise we would be waiting for our annual Witcher game with Ciri.

It's easy to do the same copy-paste of Blade Runner, but to my eyes that would be generic. I also have fond memories of me and my friends playing PnP Shadowrun (pretty much the same tropes as CP2020) and some of our funniest missions happened during the day, in a sunny afternoon.

The industial area in the second half of the demo reminded me of RoboCop. I think it looks nice and there's good potential for variety.

Guest 4211861

Someone will make a night-only mod, I am sure of this.

And before that there may be developer commands to do it (I don't advocate cheating, I'm only presenting options to the OP that he may have overlooked in his criticism of this game).

Also note we haven't really seen any night-time recordings, maybe in demo#2 coming "soon".

I'm with you to a point. My major issue is that the day in Night City is incorrect with the lore of Cyberpunk. In the world of Cyberpunk normal people would not be caught dead out in the day. The world is extremely toxic from pollution and this is magnified by little to no Ozone. Toxic clouds are mostly seen. If you are out in the day you run in and out buildings to the nearest building or vehicle. There should be little to no activity during the day with pedestrians on streets. The only way to leisurely be out in the day is to have spf 2000 sunblock on or have hazard gear on.
Or has CDPR made Night City a dome city.

I'm with you to a point. My major issue is that the day in Night City is incorrect with the lore of Cyberpunk. In the world of Cyberpunk normal people would not be caught dead out in the day. The world is extremely toxic from pollution and this is magnified by little to no Ozone. Toxic clouds are mostly seen. If you are out in the day you run in and out buildings to the nearest building or vehicle. There should be little to no activity during the day with pedestrians on streets. The only way to leisurely be out in the day is to have spf 2000 sunblock on or have hazard gear on.
Or has CDPR made Night City a dome city.

They said it earlier (cant remember if it was an interview or forum post) that by 2077 the air problems were mostly solved (at least for night city) and it will be explained in the game how they did it. This is why in some parts it looks somewhat nice compared to how was it depicted in the 2020 game.

there is really only argument here: it's too sunny (so the colors get to shine, also i guess the sun being out means happyness for the OP)

So by what should the sun be blocked to make it gloomy? Radioactive fog, pollution?
If none of that applies why should it be gloomy when the sun is out and making the colors come to life.
I dont get it.

I'll say it yet again.

It's northern California, most days ... and it's daylight about half the time ... are bright and sunny.
Exactly this. Towering neon in the rain at night is easy, but that's neither cyber (technological enhancements altering humanity in a fundamental way) nor punk (rebelling against the imbalance of power in society).

CDPR have to set out to show that cyberpunk is- regardless of time, weather, or location. This isn't about vampires or werewolves, neither technology nor inequality are affected by daylight.

I thought it looked perfect. If it looked trashed and too dirty, it would be quite a depressing atmosphere I think. The look and feel of the city are so inviting and vibrant! I wanted to see around every corner!

I thought it looked perfect. If it looked trashed and too dirty, it would be quite a depressing atmosphere I think. The look and feel of the city are so inviting and vibrant! I wanted to see around every corner!
Did you notice the downtown main streets were fairly clean but once you got into the alleys out out of downtown that changed?

Top Bottom