Cyberpunk 2077 PC Crash Issues

+
Every crash I've had since Thursday has the same error in Stacktrace.txt

Error reason: Unhandled exception
Expression: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
Message: The thread attempted to write to an inaccessible address at this exact address varies
File: <Unknown>

Hey guys if you are still having crash issues but have followed all the troubleshooting this could be your solution.
RAM, turns out this game pushes ram to its limits. The slightest instability in your ram and your GPU drivers will crash.
Turns out one of my sticks couldn't hack it.
I removed all sticks and put one in at a time, launching the game each time. 3 out of 4 sticks launched the game with no flatline.
Now I'm running on two of the stable sticks 0 crashes in 8 hours. I have another 2 sticks on order. Hope this helps someone else !

Ps I didn't have crashes in any other games so you could also just remove the ram while your playing this then put it back in later.
Post automatically merged:

Hey guys if you are still having crash issues but have followed all the troubleshooting this could be your solution.
RAM, turns out this game pushes ram to its limits. The slightest instability in your ram and your GPU drivers will crash.
I removed all sticks and put one in at a time, launching the game each time. 3 out of 4 sticks launched the game with no flatline.
Now I'm running on two of the stable sticks 0 crashes in 8 hours. I have another 2 sticks on order. Hope this helps someone else !

Ps I didn't have crashes in any other games so you could also just remove the ram while your playing this then put it back in later.

Wait so you're replacing Ram that likely is perfectly fine because a game is dogshit optimized? The hell with that unless these awful developers are paying for the Ram.

Post automatically merged:

What kind of crashes were you having before you played around with the RAM?

Were you able to load the game at all?

Firstly i can play modern titles perfectly fine on my beastly 12 thread 4ghz 33% stable overclock (a percentage overclock your cpu can only dream about btw) and secondly i run AC Valhalla totally fine, which although is an older engine then REDengine (clearly) it STILL is an engine tech that Ubisoft themselves say you cannot run without the AVX instruction set.

how do you fuckin square that circle Gvas? Huh??

Clearly its possible and there's even an amateur hack for it to work right now! So unfortunately for you, your comments make you come over like a privileged lil brat fwiw.

Because this game clearly has different requirements and you either adhere to them, or don't complain when the brute force method is required.

I've been fortunate. Only had one crash or freeze on a menu on pc.
I took a picture in photo mode, noticed it had the saving icon at top of the screen but stayed there as I was driving around, I went into the settings menu and tried to back out into the game with the ESC key and just wouldn't let me so I had to shut down in task manager.

Had some texture pop in, character spawns and weird ai but nothing too bad at the moment.

PC specs
4k monitor (running game at 1440p)
EVGA GTX 1070Ti with latest nvidia drivers
Windows 10 64bit home 20H2 version update.
16gb 3600mhz ram (running at 2133mhz for some reason, 2x 8gbs sticks)
Aorus X470 Gaming 7 wifi motherboard
850 corsair PSU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Samsung Evo 970 Plus SSD which the game and O/S is installed on.

Last edited:

Message: The thread attempted to write to an inaccessible address at this exact address varies

I was getting a myriad of errors with crashes every 5 - 10 minutes yesterday but finally managed to get the game running crash free (for like 12 hours) after trying a ton of fixes.

Woke up today looking forward to completing the second half of the main story line and now I get the same crash/error message as above every 5 or so minutes.

Stacktrace:
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at code varies.
File: <Unknown>(0)

Have tried even more fixes & troubleshooting today and no dice.. but hey at least the error code is consistent (I guess)

Last thing to try is uninstall and reinstall the game but at 60GB it's going to take a while. gg

Same... I've been playing around with it now however and discovered that it has to do with dxd12.dll file. if I remove or replace that file with another version of it it says: "the thread tried to execute an invalid instruction", meaning dxd12.dll doesn't match the expected dll. It's really strange. Are you on windows 10 btw?

EDIT: forgot to mention this might as well also be on devs end as those types of exceptions have to do with how executable is set up in relation to dyn link libraries (dll). Adress varies but the one with 0xED5F70 is definitely tied to dxd12.dll. Other adresses are most likely tied to other dll files in install directory. I guess we can only wait for them to fix this.

still can not start the game.
and I noticed that every time I check files 29Mb is downloaded, every time the file is not saved or what? ..
Same problem. I played on game version 1.03 above 6 hour in a row - zero crash, after patch 1.04 game crashed every 10 minutes. My system: i7 8700 & RTX 2070. New driver, GPU underclocked and game was installed on fast NVM SSD.

Here, I'm guessing, might be a problem with DirectX 12. The game requires DX12. There's no workaround. (I've tried.)

If you haven't yet updated to Windows 10...now is the time.

I wasn't happy about it either. But -- now that I'm here -- it's really not bad. At all.

Code:
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0xB978915A.
Version=1
EventType=REDEngineErrorReport
EventTime=0
ReportIdentifier=ffffffff-ffffffff-00000001-00000000
Sig[0].Name=StackHash
Sig[0].Value=0x0000000000000000
Sig[1].Name=ErrorReason
Sig[1].Value=Unhandled exception
Sig[2].Name=InternalVersion
Sig[2].Value=3.0.3217599 P4CL: 4158334 Stream: //R6.Root/R6.Patch0Hotfix2
DynamicSig[1].Name=OS Version
DynamicSig[1].Value=10.0.19041.2.0.0.256.1
LoadedModule[0]=Cyberpunk2077.exe
LoadedModule[1]=ntdll.dll
LoadedModule[2]=KERNEL32.DLL
LoadedModule[3]=KERNELBASE.dll
LoadedModule[4]=apphelp.dll
LoadedModule[5]=AcLayers.DLL
LoadedModule[6]=msvcrt.dll
LoadedModule[7]=USER32.dll
LoadedModule[8]=win32u.dll
LoadedModule[9]=GDI32.dll
LoadedModule[10]=gdi32full.dll
LoadedModule[11]=msvcp_win.dll
LoadedModule[12]=ucrtbase.dll
LoadedModule[13]=SHLWAPI.dll
LoadedModule[14]=ADVAPI32.dll
LoadedModule[15]=sechost.dll
LoadedModule[16]=RPCRT4.dll
LoadedModule[17]=sfc.dll
LoadedModule[18]=WINSPOOL.DRV
LoadedModule[19]=sfc_os.DLL
LoadedModule[20]=AcGenral.DLL
LoadedModule[21]=ole32.dll
LoadedModule[22]=combase.dll
LoadedModule[23]=SHELL32.dll
LoadedModule[24]=USERENV.dll
LoadedModule[25]=MPR.dll
LoadedModule[26]=SspiCli.dll
LoadedModule[27]=IMM32.DLL
LoadedModule[28]=SETUPAPI.dll
LoadedModule[29]=cfgmgr32.dll
LoadedModule[30]=bcrypt.dll
LoadedModule[31]=WS2_32.dll
LoadedModule[32]=OLEAUT32.dll
LoadedModule[33]=VERSION.dll
LoadedModule[34]=XINPUT1_3.dll
LoadedModule[35]=dbghelp.dll
LoadedModule[36]=HID.DLL
LoadedModule[37]=bink2w64.dll
LoadedModule[38]=PhysX3Common_x64.dll
LoadedModule[39]=icuuc.dll
LoadedModule[40]=icuin.dll
LoadedModule[41]=PhysX3CharacterKinematic_x64.dll
LoadedModule[42]=PhysX3Cooking_x64.dll
LoadedModule[43]=PhysX3_x64.dll
LoadedModule[44]=redlexer_native.dll
LoadedModule[45]=Galaxy64.dll
LoadedModule[46]=POWRPROF.dll
LoadedModule[47]=d3d11.dll
LoadedModule[48]=CRYPT32.dll
LoadedModule[49]=libcurl.dll
LoadedModule[50]=WLDAP32.dll
LoadedModule[51]=Normaliz.dll
LoadedModule[52]=NRD.dll
LoadedModule[53]=WINMM.dll
LoadedModule[54]=PxFoundation_x64.dll
LoadedModule[55]=MSVCP140.dll
LoadedModule[56]=VCRUNTIME140.dll
LoadedModule[57]=dxgi.dll
LoadedModule[58]=WININET.dll
LoadedModule[59]=IPHLPAPI.DLL
LoadedModule[60]=MSWSOCK.dll
LoadedModule[61]=amd_ags_x64.dll
LoadedModule[62]=oo2ext_7_win64.dll
LoadedModule[63]=icudt.dll
LoadedModule[64]=UMPDC.dll
LoadedModule[65]=gameoverlayrenderer64.dll
LoadedModule[66]=PSAPI.DLL
LoadedModule[67]=CRYPTBASE.DLL
LoadedModule[68]=bcryptPrimitives.dll
LoadedModule[69]=kernel.appcore.dll
LoadedModule[70]=windows.storage.dll
LoadedModule[71]=Wldp.dll
LoadedModule[72]=SHCORE.dll
LoadedModule[73]=clbcatq.dll
LoadedModule[74]=wbemprox.dll
LoadedModule[75]=wbemcomn.dll
LoadedModule[76]=wbemsvc.dll
LoadedModule[77]=fastprox.dll
LoadedModule[78]=amsi.dll
LoadedModule[79]=profapi.dll
LoadedModule[80]=eamsi.dll
LoadedModule[81]=uxtheme.dll
LoadedModule[82]=RTSSHooks64.dll
LoadedModule[83]=Start10_64.dll
LoadedModule[84]=GameServicesSteam.dll
LoadedModule[85]=steam_api64.dll
LoadedModule[86]=steamclient64.dll
LoadedModule[87]=imagehlp.dll
LoadedModule[88]=Secur32.dll
LoadedModule[89]=tier0_s64.dll
LoadedModule[90]=vstdlib_s64.dll
LoadedModule[91]=CRYPTSP.dll
LoadedModule[92]=rsaenh.dll
LoadedModule[93]=napinsp.dll
LoadedModule[94]=pnrpnsp.dll
LoadedModule[95]=wshbth.dll
LoadedModule[96]=NLAapi.dll
LoadedModule[97]=DNSAPI.dll
LoadedModule[98]=NSI.dll
LoadedModule[99]=winrnr.dll
LoadedModule[100]=fwpuclnt.dll
LoadedModule[101]=rasadhlp.dll
LoadedModule[102]=d3d12.dll
LoadedModule[103]=GFSDK_Aftermath_Lib.x64.dll
LoadedModule[104]=nvwgf2umx.dll
LoadedModule[105]=dxcore.dll
LoadedModule[106]=msasn1.dll
LoadedModule[107]=cryptnet.dll
LoadedModule[108]=WINTRUST.DLL
LoadedModule[109]=nvapi64.dll
LoadedModule[110]=schannel.DLL
LoadedModule[111]=nvldumdx.dll
LoadedModule[112]=D3DSCache.dll
LoadedModule[113]=twinapi.appcore.dll
LoadedModule[114]=mskeyprotect.dll
LoadedModule[115]=NTASN1.dll
LoadedModule[116]=ncrypt.dll
LoadedModule[117]=ncryptsslp.dll
LoadedModule[118]=MMDevApi.dll
LoadedModule[119]=DEVOBJ.dll
LoadedModule[120]=dinput8.dll
LoadedModule[121]=inputhost.dll
LoadedModule[122]=CoreMessaging.dll
LoadedModule[123]=wintypes.dll
LoadedModule[124]=PROPSYS.dll
LoadedModule[125]=CoreUIComponents.dll
LoadedModule[126]=ntmarta.dll
LoadedModule[127]=Wtsapi32.dll
LoadedModule[128]=AUDIOSES.DLL
LoadedModule[129]=resourcepolicyclient.dll
LoadedModule[130]=MSCTF.dll
LoadedModule[131]=textinputframework.dll
LoadedModule[132]=Windows.Perception.Stub.dll
LoadedModule[133]=gpapi.dll
LoadedModule[134]=nvngx.dll
LoadedModule[135]=DEVRTL.dll
LoadedModule[136]=drvstore.dll
LoadedModule[137]=SPINF.dll
LoadedModule[138]=nvngx_dlss.dll
LoadedModule[139]=nvcuda.dll
LoadedModule[140]=nvcuda64.dll
LoadedModule[141]=dcomp.dll
LoadedModule[142]=dwmapi.dll
LoadedModule[143]=WINSTA.dll
LoadedModule[144]=Windows.UI.dll
LoadedModule[145]=WindowManagementAPI.dll
LoadedModule[146]=nvrtum64.dll
AppName=Cyberpunk2077.exe[/CODE]

My question is why is the file it is referencing referring to the e: drive. My error does as well and I don't have an e: drive.

Error reason: Assert
Expression: <Unknown>
Message: Gpu Crash for unknown reasons! Callstack here is probably irrelevant. Check if Breadcrumbs or Aftermath logged anything useful.
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\gpuapi\src\dx12\gpuapidx12error.cpp(40)

CPU: 3900x
GPU: 1080ti
RAM: 32 gig DDR4 Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16
Window 10 update 20H2 Build 19042.685
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master Mobo
Samsung M.1 500gig SSD
Display: Dell AW3418DW UltraWide 3440x1440

Sounds like you could have partitioned your drive or somehow installed in a non-standard location. Try moving the installation / reinstalling to a standard installation folder -- on the root of the drive or a folder of your own creation. Do NOT install anywhere under Program Files or Program Files(x86).

The better we get this organised the more people that can be helped.
My game was working perfectly fine, until the latest patch. Now the game continues to crash at the same exact spot in the mission, "Play it Safe". During the part-SPOILERS-where you have to escape the parade. As soon as I approach the double doors to leave, the game crashes and I get the "Whoa" pop-up. I've tried updating everything and turning down the graphics to the lowest setting, still nothing. So infuriating as I was really enjoying my time and already poured 20+ hours into the game.

Truth. What we need are people posting more precisely what they have done to lead to the crashes they're seeing.

"It's crashing!!!" doesn't really help.

When? Where? Why?

If you're not sure...look more closely and try to identify everything you can discern. Help us help you.

Last edited:
Truth. What we need are people posting more precisely what they have done to lead to the crashes they're seeing.

When? Where? Why?

If you're not sure...look more closely and try to identify everything you can discern. Help us help you.[/SPOILER]

Been getting the same Gpu crash for unknown reason.. unfortunately it's been happening literally everywhere. First happened when I arrived on my bike at the alley where Viktor the Ripperdoc is located, crashed there 3 times after reloading right as I arrived. After that I was able to continue playing for a bit, then crashes began to occur every 10 mins, then 5 mins then sometimes it wouldn't even get past the loading screen. Tried updating windows, verifying integrity of game cache, reinstalling drivers, only having CP2077 open (closing chrome, obs etc)

this is running a RTX3080 & Ryzen 9 3900x

When? Where? Why?

If you're not sure...look more closely and try to identify everything you can discern. Help us help you.

It just crashes all the time tbh, no specific precursor or discernable pattern.. just moving or transitioning through the world. It will crash at one point, I'll reload a save then it will crash somewhere else. Doesn't happen in menus if that helps.

played game just fine for almost 30 hours. but now im crashing consistently and getting this error

Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0x88.

started after finishing side job, i have barely done any main missions outside of the heist. game crashes or freezes pretty consistently now. if i load a slightly earlier save game doesnt freeze untill i try to enter the watson area (even with fast travel). how ever if i load a save from when i was lvl 12 (im 26 now) it doesnt crash at all. so i think my save is screwed. kinda scared to loose 12hrs of progress. have tried all the fixes on here with no luck.

I have had a number of crashes when playing Cyberpunk 2077. The crashes have required me to use the reset button on PC as Ctrl Alt Del, Win + X etc won't work. I didn't experience any crashes until after installing the 1.04 hotfix. I had no crashes initially after 15+ hours of gameplay with 1.03.
I have the latest 460.79 Nvidia drivers, Windows 10 is fully up to date and all other device drivers are up to date.

When I check the reliability history it seems to be a problem with dwm.exe. Below is the crash report from Windows Reliability history.

Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\dwm.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: dwm.exe

Application Version: 10.0.19041.508

Application Timestamp: cd97c98b

Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll

Fault Module Version: 10.0.19041.662

Fault Module Timestamp: ec58f015

Exception Code: e0464645

Exception Offset: 000000000010bd5c

OS Version: 10.0.19042.2.0.0.768.101

Locale ID: 3081

Additional Information 1: 0503

Additional Information 2: 05038a8d0f1df7d435a57df411af2cff

Additional Information 3: 602b

Additional Information 4: 602bee1b8a1cfe9e7b43a379fcfbbc4d

I have observed in the Nvidia forums that other uses have had 460.79 dwm.exe crashes.

I hope this information is helpful.

Message: Gpu Crash for unknown reasons! Callstack here is probably irrelevant. Check if Breadcrumbs or Aftermath logged anything useful.
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\gpuapi\src\dx12\gpuapidx12error.cpp(40)

This has been plaguing me for the past 2 days now, fully tired of it. I've tried rolling back drivers, updating from windows 10 1909 to 20H2, downloading the Polish language version, downgrading all my graphics options, reinstalling the game, running the exe as admin and not, deleting the cache, deleting the user configs, verifying the steam files. Nothing has worked for me, Steam shows I've played 7 hours, my game save says 1 hour. My reportqueue is just over 1gb in size now.

Game has been crashing all over the place at random intervals, sometimes it won't launch, sometimes it will crash in the loading screen, sometimes it'll crash as soon as the game starts, sometimes it crashes when I do anything at all in the game, and sometimes it works absolutely perfectly and runs like a dream for about 5 minutes and then crashes.

I'm running Ryzen 5, 1660ti, 16gb and installed on my C:SSD under X86

Has CDPR acknowledged this specific bug yet? Or anyone else have a successful method I've not tried? Because I'm out of options, and I'm not particularly hopeful for the 1.05 since the hotfix didn't fix the issue for me either.

Every 10-20 minutes the game would crash with this error. Especially when driving around in the open world.

Message: The thread caused a user-mode data execution prevention (DEP) violation at 0x18002E450.

I solved the issue, by underclocking my core clock by -100 Mhz using MSI-afterburner. I played for an hour plus today and had 0 issues. I think my average fps slightly dropped, but its better than crashing every 10 minutes. I will play around with underclocking and find a value that prevent crashes but doesn't underclock by that much.

I am running a GTX 1660 Super with a 3600 CPU.

Cyberpunk crashes after pressing "Play" in CD Project Red launcher.
How to fix it?

I tried restarting PC and installing latest Nvidia driver. It didn't help

Spec:
Windows 10 LTSB. Steam version. Build 5946255
Nvidia 1060 6Gb
I'm have the same issues press play loads for 2 seconds then flatlines

Same... I've been playing around with it now however and discovered that it has to do with dxd12.dll file. if I remove or replace that file with another version of it it says: "the thread tried to execute an invalid instruction", meaning dxd12.dll doesn't match the expected dll. It's really strange. Are you on windows 10 btw?

EDIT: forgot to mention this might as well also be on devs end as those types of exceptions have to do with how executable is set up in relation to dyn link libraries (dll). Adress varies but the one with 0xED5F70 is definitely tied to dxd12.dll. Other adresses are most likely tied to other dll files in install directory. I guess we can only wait for them to fix this.

Expression: EXCEPTION_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION (0xC000001D)
Message: The thread tried to execute an invalid instruction.

I got a similar one. Got thru the prologue, and was able to use the AVX fix mod to get into the VR training portion, but the screen was black so it's still unplayable. Now it crashes on start up. I also tried the hex edit and still no fix. I'm new to the whole PC scene so troubleshooting isn't much up my alley. Do we know if this is a causation of an older CPU? Would it be remedied if I upgraded my CPU?

Expression: EXCEPTION_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION (0xC000001D)
Message: The thread tried to execute an invalid instruction.

I got a similar one. Got thru the prologue, and was able to use the AVX fix mod to get into the VR training portion, but the screen was black so it's still unplayable. Now it crashes on start up. I also tried the hex edit and still no fix. I'm new to the whole PC scene so troubleshooting isn't much up my alley. Do we know if this is a causation of an older CPU? Would it be remedied if I upgraded my CPU?
Might also be a corrupt save? That one is an all purpose error it seems. Ill check out the stack later for that one as I can actually reproduce it as well.

Edit: yeah that error means missing file. People who solved their game not launching by verifying integrity on steam did indeed fix it but it doesn't mean its always fixable that way. It could also mean the file exists but is inaccessible.

EDIT Edit: It is also the same error that appears because of the lack of avx support so it very well can be that the game depends on few more features of the new cpu technology and cannot find a needed feature in a feature set of your old cpu. Which might indeed be my problem as well as my cpu is about 9 years old 😅

Last edited:
My game crashes with the flatlined error message whenever I try to load a saved game or try to continue from last checkpoint. Is anyone else facing the same issue and is there any solution for this yet?

Hey guys i've literally just upgraded my rig, installed windows fresh and the latest nvidia drivers and windows updates and i keep getting this crash in game:

Any ideas on how to fix this? It does it randomly,and then when i load back into the game and click continue it just crashes me to desktop (I've loaded an older save and it works fine for a bit then does the same again)

Rig:
Founders 3070 RTX
I9 9900k (Not overclocked yet)
32 gb Corsair 3200 ram (XMP Off)
2 TB solid State Samsung 860 Hardrive

I am so incredibly disappointed... im being plagued with crashes, I know somewhere someone said give us the circumstances of the crashing but I just cant... I will crash, do the exact same thing from a loaded save and it be fine. I don't understand, there is seemingly no rhyme or reason to the crashes. I am lucky to make it 30 minutes usually.. as others have mentioned I'm getting.

On a 4770k
2080ti
game installed on an SSD
16gb ram.

Last edited:
Top Bottom