Cyberpunk 2077 PC Crash Issues

+
My game crashes with the flatlined error message whenever I try to load a saved game or try to continue from last checkpoint. Is anyone else facing the same issue and is there any solution for this yet?
I am having this exact issue. Prior I was playing with the fix from nexus on game version 1.0 but that stopped working after I grabbed the latest fixes (1.04 and prior) and now any saved file I try to load I get a few frames then hard crash out of the game.

Then I tried to create a new game and the characters in the creation screen render black and in the game the screen is black except for UI. From this point, in the new game, I tried to load my older saves again it did load without crashing, but just renders black with a UI.

When I relaunch the game the behavior is as above again where I just get a few frames and crash out of the game again when I try to load a save game.

I have updated all drivers and tried all the usual advice re-installed game etc, and I'd like to re-iterate it was working up to a point on version 1.0 with the "hack" from nexus mods, but I was forced to update when I kept crashing during the cinematic at the beginning of the mission "Transmission" and on version 1.04 it is completely unplayable, which is a big shame because I'm 25 hours in and can't continue

TRYING to play Corpo. I crash 100% of the time at the same spot, as soon as I approach the elevator after leaving the bathroom. Crashes to desktop without fail when I'm within a couple feet of the elevators. This game is a freaking embarrassment.

System:

i7-9700K
RTX 2080
16GB 2666MHz RAM
1TB 960 EVO
Game Ready 460.79

First of all, people should refrain from just whitewashing all crashes to AVX...

I am running the game fine ( 3700x, 3070, 16Gb, 3440 x 1440 Ultrawide)

However my son has not been able to play the game at all since launch

His system (6700k, 1080, 16Gb, 1440)

It has crashed a couple of times in character creation, but always crashes on:

Street Kid - When the guy in bar flicks through magazine - crash to desktop gpuapidx12error.cpp(40)
Corpo - Immediatley when you spawn and look into mirror for a couple of seconds - crash to desktop gpuapidx12error.cpp(40)
Nomad - When you get into car - crash to desktop gpuapidx12error.cpp(40)

As you can see he is not even getting to the point of folks who have the AVX issue

We have: (multiple times)

Reloaded game
Reloaded windows
Tried AVX fix to no avail
Tried changing language in Steam to Polish
Tried game loaded on HDD, SSD

This is very frustrating for him and me and all the talk of AVX crashes has everyone focussing there, but this looks like a bad graphics call

When I look at the report from the crash, it seems stop at around entry 30ish - Lighting`

Anyone with any suggestions etc please feel free

Last edited:
Sounds like you could have partitioned your drive or somehow installed in a non-standard location. Try moving the installation / reinstalling to a standard installation folder -- on the root of the drive or a folder of your own creation. Do NOT install anywhere under Program Files or Program Files(x86).

Did as you suggested just to humor the troubleshooting process. Reinstalled steam fresh and the game to a root folder of my creation on the C drive outside of program files. Same exact error. I don't have a partition, the only time an e: drive is ever on my computer is when I have a USB drive plugged in. No the game was not installed with a USB drive attached, no a USB drive is not currently attached. This is obviously only something the developers are going to be able to solve.

Error reason: Assert
Expression: <Unknown>
Message: Gpu Crash for unknown reasons! Callstack here is probably irrelevant. Check if Breadcrumbs or Aftermath logged anything useful.
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\gpuapi\src\dx12\gpuapidx12error.cpp(40)

Last edited:
Good News Boys!!!

The Patch Notes for 1.05 mentions "
  • Addressed various Cyberpunk game crashing issues
  • Fixed game loading issues "
hopefully this includes the AVX problem.
our struggles may soon come to an end.... if not imma be pissed.

Where do I find info about the 1.05 patch?

taste the PRO driver (do not put a drive in mouth, install it in OC) and lower the rx580 frequencies.

You can play any SSE / AVX if you have 8 or more CPU threads ( only Intel ) with this Intel Software Development Emulator

I finally got my game to launch using this. I have a Phenom II X6 1090T. After launching, the game timed out on the black screen and reported a watchdog error. I'm not the first person with a Phenom II to get the game to launch this way, and this is hard evidence that the reason we can't play is because our CPU lacks instruction support.

Sorry to say my man, but you desperately need an upgrade if you want to play this.
The reason why the AVX fix didn't work for you is because your CPU also lacks another 2 very basic instruction sets, SSE 4.1 and 4.2. Those are used borderline everywhere nowadays so there's little chance they'll release a patch for non-SSE CPUs. AVX is more likely because it's not a jack-of-all-trades set and hardly worth the trouble for now (plus there are a few recent CPUs that don't have it).

Lots of new AAA games have been receiving SSE4 fixes from either the developer or the community. (Far Cry 5, DOOM Eternal, Red Dead Redemption 2, Mafia 3)

I very much want to wait for a SSE4 fix, especially because my Phenom II X6 1090T is newer and benches higher than these Intel CPUs that are now successfully running the game with the AVX fix. I'm in no hurry to upgrade my rig.

If they change the codes that rely on AVX, SSE4.1 and 4.2 everyone would be happy.

No doubt. I hope it does happen, and that it doesn't take years.

Last edited:
CPU - 10900k 5.3 GHz
GPU - RTX 3080
RAM - 64 GB 3400 MHz

i crashed 7x in 45 mins

-- yesterday i played all day at max settings around 70 FPS, Day before i crashed 1x and froze 1x ran at 62 FPS. Today its running at 80 FPS and crashes allot. i tried lowing everything to minimums and it still crashes.. i think hardware isnt the issue, however the better hardware you have the better it can handle some things better. its buggy yes, but i think its more buggy then you think, stuff going on in the background that you dont know is happening is the issue. if you get stuck somewhere, my best solution is try to get as far away from that location as possible select another mission save. then restart game and go back to that location and select the mission again. i crashed allot did this and got through whatever was goin on.

Non avx user
Press F to Fuck yourself
Edit:
Folks, fofo2323 have a temporal solution

Game crashing on old CPUs: possible fix

If you happen to have an old CPU you maybe having this crash:

Expression: EXCEPTION_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION (0xC000001D)

The game is trying to use a feature you don’t have: AVX.

At the beginning playing corpo when you sit it crashes. A possible temporal solution while they fix this issue is to remove this part of code:

Edit Cyberpunk2077.exe with a hexadecimal editor and search for

554881ECA00000000F2970E8

Change the first byte to C3 (return from the function):

C34881ECA00000000F2970E8

Please note this fix is extremely simplistic and naïve. Moreover, it could crash the game later. This change seems to fix this crash and you can continue playing the game. I have only tested a few minutes more.

FAQ: Why are they using AVX?

They are not doing it on purpose, it is probably the default configuration of the compiler.

I LOVE THIS GUY!!!!!!!!!
I can confirm that this does work! I used the program called HxD. It's a good program. Make sure when you use the "search" feature, you click on the "Hexadecimal" tab.

File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\gpuapi\src\dx12\gpuapidx12error.cpp(40)

DO NOT UPDATE YOUR WINDOWS 10 1607 (LTSB/2016). This is ridiculous! (Or if update, downgrade in future! When they fix it or you finish the game if you just want to try it so badly and cant wait).

CDPR must fix this! Beacause Windows 10 1607 LTSB(LTSC) is not obsolete. It still the best OS for gaming (your can find many proofs in YouTube, etc. This OS has official support by Microsoft untill October 2026. And I am have been played smoothly in Red Dead Redemption 2 on it (even before all fixes)

Windows 7 latest update was in March 2019, so ask to fix Windows 10 1607 problem by updating your OS is ridiculous! You dont ask people with Windows 7 to update to Windows 10 right? Because in your system requirements for Cyberpunk 2077 exist both Win7 and Win10(since you did not specify exact version it means all actual versions are supported, right? And Win10 1607(LTSB) and 1809(LTSC) are actual and support untill 2026 and 2029. If CDPR has asked update your Win10 to at least 1909+ only to prevent game refunds, before they are will fix this bug on 1607 in future is ok. Just give me hope. Especially it technicly possilbe, I'm sure.

Windows 7 (DirectX 12 limited since 2019, DXGI 1.1, WDDM 1.1)
Windows 1607 (DirectX 12 full since 2015, DXGI 1.6, WDDM 2.1)
The game was build on DirectX 12 as I'm heard, right..? Hhh.

Anyway Windows 7 from 2009, PS4 and XBO from 2013 support this game, and Windows 1607 is not yet. (Btw why game so laggy on old PC's that is way more powerfull then outdated consoles. Cuz it just a bad console port? :) With updated graphic features? So maybe add some new options to disable this...?

LIKE "DISABLE MOUSE ACCELERATION\SMOOTHING" ETC.
OR "DISABLE TXAA"? Ha!? Always adore this console-style undisabled TXAA mmm. Every PC gamer loves it...
OR "KEY REMAPPING" Oh boy... Those console port vibes mmm. :sneaky:

BUT! You friends, are made a revolutionary game. I have Deus Ex 1, Hitman 1, Stalker 1, Dying Light 1(also Polish game btw) vibes which is hard to create in this sh?tty nowadays game business. And I know how difficult it was for you with this limited time, angry managers and crunches. And your support F DRM movement and GOG with no drm and GOG galaxy 2.0 idea to cross-platform game shops is unprecedented. So dont listen to haters! (Sorry my mistits. My London tongue level is: NO.)

Ваші друзі wish you luck.

Wake the F up Husaria. Jeszcze Polska Nie Zginęła!

Last edited:
Hey peeps a heads up, for me I upgraded to a dev version of windows and it seems it broke the visual c++ redistributable. I just installed it from here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads and its fixed after a ton of testing. Dunno if it will help but just in case, my game would not start and would have the C0000005 error.

:shrug:

Which did you download specifically? I've done them before for that error with no effect but I'm curious

Game keeps randomly crashing. On top of the crashing and glitches. It's getting to the point where the game is damn near unplayable.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor, 3900 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Ram: 32.0 GB DDR4
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8GB GDDR6
MB: MSI MEG X570 ACE

May have to ask for a refund from Steam if CD Projekt Red does't do anything about it. With all the glitches, crashes, and everything in between. This is just another failed launch and broken game like EA's Anthem.

Absolute Epic Fail of a launch and quality!

1607926820755.png

After trying everything posted here to solve my every 20-30 min crashing- yet another cycle of reinstalling graphic drivers, game on Steam verifying local files and adjusting game settings (DLS, Cascaded Shadows, RT, etc.), I updated my BIOS.

I have a Gigabyte B550M Gaming X board with driver release from September. I flashed it to December version one (Fn11) and after that I was able to play for 3.5 hours without crashing. Playing main missions (The buggy The Heist), Side missions and doing "Brain dance". I am still sceptical if that made the difference or experimenting with the graphic settings did it, but I am too scared now to experiment around :)

Still getting very bad Fps (30) on DLS balanced with RTX 2070 Super and 32 GB RAM. Turning DLS off makes it unplayable (10-20).

Going to hold a Witcher ceremony for 1.05

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

So I had the access violation error as well as the GPU, I tried to remove the overclocking on my CPU and nothing has changed.
Then I try to reduce the quality of the graphics, disable DLSS and RTX and still crash.
Then I went back to the overclocking situation as it is working on other games and download again my GPU driver from the Nvidia website + reboot.

Everything went smooth again as ultra setting with RTX and DLSS (quality).
My config :
Ryzen 5 5600x
RTX 3070 FE
Corsair vengeance 2x16 - 3600MHz

Ok - it seems I have to apologise with CDPR on this one. I found out the issue I was experiencing was not to be blamed on CP2020 but on the factory settings of my brand new Samsung T7. So, if you buy this external SSD to play games, make sure you download the version from the Samsung website and update it - do not use the software included in the device.

I gotta wonder to what extend they did any testing, with problems as massive as these. Couldn't things like this be easily avoided by giving a good sample group of testers with mixed machines access and seeing how the game performs? Even more so for the PS4 version, there's no excuse for having massive problems there, since everyone's system is the same.

I'm not a game dev but is testing on actual end user systems not part of the dev process?

For my part I'm not touching the game until the next patch hits. Too much frustration.

Crashing after getting into Night City as nomad (after the cutscenes), every time.
That one was fixed for me by reinstalling nvidia drivers. Found new crashpoint after it though :D

Hi all, I was watching this thread from day 1 where there were only 6 pages, by the end of the first day I'd had about 112 crashes in total trying to troubleshoot but have finally managed to fix my issues. I was crashing every 5 minutes with everything on ultra + RT, if I set everything to low I could last maybe 30m - 1h. These are my specs for the curious:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x stock
GPU: Aorus 3080 Master stock 10GB
RAM: Corsair vengeance 2x8 - 3600MHz
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Windows Version: 10.0.19042 Build 19042

I tried following the advice on the website to uninstall drivers using DDU but it didn't work. What I had to end up doing was this (1 and 2 were the main winners I believe but I will list everything that I did):

1) Uninstall drivers using DDU

2) Remove ALL reference to Nvidia that I could find on the system as DDU still leaves some files lying around.
A) Check your app data folder (C:\Users\*Your user*\AppData\Local) and see if there are any Nvidia folders. If there are, delete them.​
B) Check the roaming folder too (C:\Users\*Your user*\AppData\Roaming)​
C) Check "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files (x86)"​
Essentially, check anywhere and everywhere for any Nvidia files / folders you can, and delete them before you do a full reinstall of the latest drivers.​

3) Reinstall latest drivers.
4) AMD CPU only - I don't know if this one has made a difference, but worth a shot. Update your chipset drivers -https://www.amd.com/en/support

5) I have a 144hz monitor and a 60hz monitor, I changed my main monitor to the 60hz one, and set the 144hz monitor to the one the game should display on in the settings within Cyberpunk.

6) I did a reinstall of the game, don't think this helped, also don't think it's even worth doing as long as your files are all validated, but worth a shot.

Conclusion: I have only crashed twice in 16+ hours of playing now, and like I said, the turning point seemed to be when I removed everything I could related to Nvidia.

Game crashing on old CPUs: possible fix

If you happen to have an old CPU you maybe having this crash:

Expression: EXCEPTION_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION (0xC000001D)

The game is trying to use a feature you don’t have: AVX.

At the beginning playing corpo when you sit it crashes. A possible temporal solution while they fix this issue is to remove this part of code:

Edit Cyberpunk2077.exe with a hexadecimal editor and search for

554881ECA00000000F2970E8

Change the first byte to C3 (return from the function):

C34881ECA00000000F2970E8

Please note this fix is extremely simplistic and naïve. Moreover, it could crash the game later. This change seems to fix this crash and you can continue playing the game. I have only tested a few minutes more.

FAQ: Why are they using AVX?

They are not doing it on purpose, it is probably the default configuration of the compiler.

You goddamn Genius, now I can FINALLY go on after the prologue.

Top Bottom