[TW1]Strands of Destiny Mod

+
For this mod to remained "neutral" it would have to give a choice or something like that who will be Geralt's sweetheart: Tris or Shani.For me it was Shani. :D

The idea behind the story in Strands of Destiny is four years has passed since the incidents in Vizima. During that period, anything could have happened between the witcher assassin, and the love life of Geralt and Shani/Triss. We took the assumption that because Geralt "thought" he was in love with Shani, but whereas he was manipulated to believe he already had loved Triss in his past life and thus felt more love towards her in that route, this was the "proper" route more or less. Granted, many of the community have chosen Shani, we just felt it would make more sense to follow a more linear choice at the start.That being said, you also will not be stuck with Triss forever. Who knows, you may run into Shani at some point. So don't lose hope for Shani. :)

Strands of Destiny is being delayed until late June, early July to give us more time with development of all assets, and to work with Djinni. However, everyone can expect some pretty big updates on the website in next few weeks.I'd like to also point out our localized SoD pages that were created by our partners. Our Polish community can be found at http://witcher.phx.pl/. The SoD pages can be found to the right. Also, for our Russian community, the website is http://www.witcher.net.ru/. There is a link on the left and information in the news. You can also find information about SoD at http://www.thewitcherfrance.com, who will be supporting the French community. As it stands right now, we will be launching SoD in English, German, Polish, Russian, and French. If this changes, we will notify everyone through the website at http://www.witchermod.com.

Strands of Destiny theme song has been launched! You can listen to it here. We hope you enjoy it and would love any feedback.On a side note, we would like to know which characters would the community like to see in Strands of Destiny? Both from the saga and the game. Also, which locations in the saga would you like to visit?

Music is really good. Personally I would like to see Dainty Biberveldt, Yarpen Zigrin and Francesca Findabair.

Music is great, i very like it. In SoD i would like to see Dandelion, Zoltan Chivay or Yarpen Zigrin, Dorregaray and one of the witchers from Kaer Morhen - Lambert, Berengar or maybe Eskel.

Vaernus said:
Strands of Destiny theme song has been launched! You can listen to it here. We hope you enjoy it and would love any feedback.
Nice track ... but I wonder about one thing: are you going to have new leitmotiv for your mod or you prefer only to re-arrange oryginal leitmotiv taken from game? This one track is nothing more than new arrange of quite known motiv from the game. Personally I suggest to compose something new... it could only contains a few notes from original leitmotive and then transform to some "fresh" lines. Concerning the arrangement. Very nice choir at the beggining of the track . French horns (or trombones) could be better. I suggest to buy SAM BRASSES library (you will find there nice sounding wind instruments with lots of articulations). Drum section could contains more hits or cymbal-crashes (just to improve epic style)...but actuall one is also very good. Think also about adding some more deep sounding strings (violas, basses short bows) in arrangement.The last part of track needs more instruments, aswell. It lost its own epic style and starting to play a bit too "thin". Mainly bcos of silly rythm guitar... try to make some improvements there.I hope that my little criticizm will helps. Looking forwad to some more examples of music for your mod.Cross fingers for your mod.

The music in Strands of Destiny is going to be all new tracks. The theme song in particular was the only exception where it's connecting the original track to a more epic-feel of the new to show a transition. But as it stands, we are looking to create at least six new tracks. We are reworking the theme song currently, and I have forwarded this post to our composer. Really appreciate your criticism, as well as all we have received so far from the community. Let's see what revision two brings. Should also see one of the new tracks posted in the next few weeks to the website.

Hello folks, firstly, thanks for the comments.What you listened to was essentially an internal copy of the concept and the general layout of the piece. As Vaernus has mentioned it is intended to have the familiarity with the Witcher theme but with a considerably different general vibe. What I liked about the original theme is that it lends itself to many types of interpretations, it can be subtle, dramatic, dark or adventurous depending on the orchestration. Scorpik, thanks for the breakdown as well. This was initially written in Miroslav Philharmonic, although it was once a premiere library it is quite dated. I use it nowadays to sketch the pieces out as the sample load is fairly light. For the rest I will be using EWQL Symphonic orchestra. Though I have to say, although it is nice sonicly speaking it lacks a certain "soul" that Miroslav had in the performances. Sometimes I stack the two. I never heard of the SAM project before btw, I think I will give it a go, I like library's that tend to focus on an individual instrument and the price of SAM is reasonable.And yes the brass is the first thing I have been redoing, the french horns were certainly thin and the Cellos have already been replaced.I tried to add crashes with mixed results, the rhythm and lack of a build did not have them sit very well in the mix, so as you mentioned also, one may be good for the initial impact.As far as (violas, basses short bows) what did you have in mid? support of the Cellos or a counter rhythm/melody? I'm all ears, I need to walk away from this piece for a bit actually and get a clearer perspective.The last part of the track was intentionally subtle, it's designed for a fade, I did consider extending the "epic" part however with original material as not to go into the last part to early, but this will also depend on the Intro animation and it's length. Finally the acoustic guitar was there because it lends itself well to woodwinds and I needed a little rhythm, it will actually be a bit more complex with some higher notes to occasionally cut through the mix.Having said that, what was your objection to using a guitar? feel free to comment, having another set of ears is very helpful and appreciated.In the end just the fact that you threw your few cents into this is a credit to the industry, you guys really do care about the product and the communication on this board is outstanding.Cheers Scorpik

>I never heard of the SAM project before btw, I think I will give it a go, I like library's that tend to focus on an individual instrument and the price of SAM is reasonable.Yep...they are good and selling their products reasonable cheap. I'm going to buy "True strike2", aswell. It will be good addition for Stormdrum and True Strike1. (You also should think about that!)>As far as (violas, basses short bows) what did you have in mid? support of the Cellos or a counter rhythm/melody? I was thinking about counter rhytm played by section of violas, cellos and basses (marcatto) . Adding some arpeggios played in marcatto technique in the background (which will correspond with drum section) will helps to improve pungent feeling. >Finally the acoustic guitar was there because it lends itself well to woodwinds and I needed a little rhythm, it will actually be a bit more complex with some higher notes to occasionally cut through the mix.Having said that, what was your objection to using a guitar? feel free to comment, having another set of ears is very helpful and appreciated.Well.. imho you could try to write a bit more variations of that guitar (cos it sounds so repetative and unauthentic). Put some more effort to add more instruments which will correspond with that guitar (i.e. celtic or ochestral harp, strings pizzicatos,glock etc ). Make the way of playing that instruments more natural and authentic (i.e. use alternative articulations)Next thing in my mind is the rythm lines.If you add ocassionaly some percussive instruments (sticks, woodblocks, little shakers or something simmilar) in the rythm section (very subtle) you will also get better feeling of that part. In actuall version it is too simply and repetative... don't you think?>In the end just the fact that you threw your few cents into this is a credit to the industry, you guys really do care about the product and the communication on this board is outstanding.we are doing our best to help you guys! :)Cheers Orbit

Stormdrum will definitely be useful doing this project, Strike is unfamiliar to me as well, maybe down the road, I have to draw a line for my budget;)"I was thinking about counter rhytm played by section of violas, cellos and basses (marcatto) . Adding some arpeggios played in marcatto technique in the background (which will correspond with drum section) will helps to improve pungent feeling. "Actually I just did a version with the violas and violins doing arpeggios in the mid range and going high for accent around the fourth measure. This will no doubt end up in the final mix. Still experimenting with it however, I.m concerned that it may be to much to quickly, usually I would add this after the 2nd time the same motif is played.As far as the acoustic guitar, as I mentioned it was a place holder, however usually I would just hire a player for a clients project and call it a day. Doing this properly myself is going to be more difficult, particularly to get the proper nuances of the instrument. Really getting the exact nuances of all the instruments is something I'm not used to having to spend much time on, (not many opera singers show up these days for proper orchestration), but I'm enjoying something more challenging. But do expect technical errors a classical composer may notice:) like to many of the same instrument then there is in an orchestra, or to long of a note length of a particular instrument. And regarding the last part, yes there will be more details added, the subtle rhythms in the background are no doubt necessary.Harp was something I considered, but have not tried yet. You know it's actually ironic I'm hearing that I should add more, usually I hear the opposite as I never think a piece is finished and keep on putting in the minutest of details, understandable though due to the bare nature of the parts.Overall this is a pretty ambitious project from every angle and time is certainly going to be a factor as were all doing this on the side.Will do our best as time allows. Meanwhile will wait for what you guys at CD Project have in store for us.On a side note Scorpik, since were talking shop, whats your musical background if I may ask.

>And regarding the last part, yes there will be more details added, the subtle rhythms in the background are no doubt necessary.Harp was something I considered, but have not tried yet. Cross fingers for good result :)>You know it's actually ironic I'm hearing that I should add more, usually I hear the opposite as I never think a piece is finished and keep on putting in the minutest of details, understandable though due to the bare nature of the parts.That's the key for success. Do as much as possible to improve music, but be careful to keep melody "clean" (clear?) and understandable :) >On a side note Scorpik, since were talking shop, whats your musical background if I may ask.Errm... what do you mean by that? You want to know names of sound libraries I already have?

"Errm... what do you mean by that? You want to know names of sound libraries I already have?"Actually regarding musical background, I meant, what have you worked on previously, TV work, studio work etc....But speaking of libraries, I could use a recommendation, what is a good Celtic sound library or a folk ethnic library. I have one but it is still not up to par with what I want to do musically. It seems in Europe there is more of a variety in what is needed musically, particularly with all the historical folk music. Basically I'd like to know what I'm missing out on here in the States.

>Actually regarding musical background, I meant, what have you worked on previously, TV work, studio work etc....just visit www.gamesxsound.com and you will find all interesting details :)>But speaking of libraries, I could use a recommendation, what is a good Celtic sound library or a folk ethnic library. I have one but it is still not up to par with what I want to do musically. It seems in Europe there is more of a variety in what is needed musically, particularly with all the historical folk music. Basically I'd like to know what I'm missing out on here in the States.I recommend you two very nice libraries:"RA" by EWQL (probably you already have this one)"Ethnic World Complete" by Best Service (simmilar to RA but including different instruments, more articulations, some loops and phrases)regards,Scorpik

Not a bad idea making a studio dedicated to games amongst other things. Particularly The Witcher should give you guys a nice high profile credit.Very cool stuff, looks like you've been on your way up consistently. Best wishes for 2008, I hope it's good year for the studio.As far as sound libraries , looks like I'll have to break down and get RA, I use Dirk Campbell's "Origins", if you haven't used it, I highly recommend it. One of the layers from the Intro choir comes from that library, it has a very natural "raw" tone to it, it's very different then most choirs. The rest is an excellent library of "ancient" instruments.What I was hoping to find was something of a central European flavor, I think it's about time someone actually based a library on this type music.I have heard it in several films and it has lots of natural charm to it, it's unique in vocal inflections, rhythm(which can be quite dizzying and fast) and instrumentation.Thanks for the info Scorpik, as we move along in the mod, we should have more polished parts completed, hope you enjoy it when it's done.Take carePeter

Vaernus said:
Hey guys,Just letting everyone know that Strands of Destiny's website has gone live at http://www.witchermod.com. We have some basic information about the mod and what we plan to do with it, as well as some concept sketches. We plan to have some renders of the new characters and locations over the course of the next few weeks, and baring any delay in Djinni launching, we plan to launch the prologue and Act 1 of the mod by late May, early June in a beta state. From there, each Act will launch every three months, with the final mod releasing with all acts compiled together upon completion.To give you an idea of Strands of Destiny, the game takes place four years after The Witcher. After an uneventful winter in Kaer Morhen, Geralt of Rivia is traveling south to find new witcher contracts with Triss Merigold. Upon arriving in the forests surrounding the town of Carreas, the Strands of Destiny once again wrap their tendrils around Geralt’s future. Soon he is drawn into a plot that transcends his world, and old friends once again stand at his side to answer destiny’s call. It takes place southeast of Temeria, in the country of Aedirn. Geralt will visit such places as the dwarven homeland of Mahakam; Vengerberg, capital of Aedirn; the Blue Mountains; and Dol Blathanna, home of the elven queen Enid.Strands of Destiny will be adding in new features like a Justice System (you will not be allowed to just break into homes and steal, you can be caught and thrown in jail....however this may open opportunities for new quests and characters to meet), Hunting (Geralt will be able to hunt animals in the wild in each act and use their meats for food, their parts for ingredients, and their pelts for gold), and more.Thanks,William PhelpsTMG Studios
That's just great!I wonder, is this official mod fro The Witcher? I don't get it. The comany is called REDFlame interactive. What is your connection to CD Projekt?

Top Bottom