[TW1] Is there a way to play with two sets of subtitles?

+
[TW1] Is there a way to play with two sets of subtitles?

I just started learning Polish, so I'm playing with Witcher 1 with English subs/text and Polish dub.
But it'd be nice if I can append all the Polish text after the English one.

So instead of:

I'll find you later.

The game would say:

I'll find you later. Buwai.
(or however Buwai is spelled in polish)

if the files are in text format, then this would be a simple regex script to append all lines from one text to another, no?

Well... tough crowd!

My settings are ENG subs POL voices

I did the following so far:

Extracted main.key using bifrip005

Modified main\dlg\q0001_triss04.dlg to say:

"Geralt, can we g3?" instead of "Geralt, can we go?"

The reason it's "3" because there are three instances of the same ENG subs where is says on the same line
"Geralt, can we go?" three times.

So I edited them to:
"Geralt, can we g1?","Geralt, can we g2?", and "Geralt, can we g3?"

Why not:
"Geralt, can we go1?","Geralt, can we go2?", and "Geralt, can we go3?"

Because it's not a plaintext file, and changing more than one character messes up the file structure, and the game won't load it (there'll be no dialogue! You click on Triss to talk and nothing happens!)

Then I found another tool:
Tried to use dlgconv_11 with no success - it doesn't have what I want it to do in it's functionality.

To play with the q0001_triss04.dlg file I modified (found here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75258/SHARE/q0001_triss04.dlg )
place q0001_triss04.dlg in

...\witcher1\data\main\dlg\q0001_triss04.dlg (make the main and dlg folders)

load savegame (found here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75258/SHARE/000010%20-%20Kaer%20Morhen%20interior-010.TheWitcherSave )

dont worry it's at the prologue/very close to start of game, no spoilers

Please advise me what to do now!

I think you don't have any responses yet because no one knows how to do what you want to do.

The dialogue files don't just contain the text of what is said. They also contain information about the speaker's emotional state, for use by the animator; dialogue flags, which are crucial for making the game actually work; action scripts, which do a variety of things, many of which are crucial for making the game actually work; pointers from line to line, which makes one "Good bye" or "See ya" do for a long list of other lines, and which are crucial for making the game actually work; and a pointer to the sound file that will play when the dialogue line is spoken.

In order to put the two sets of dialogues together, you will need to import all of the dialogue without messing up the dialogue flags, line pointers, or action scripts, and unless you want to listen to each line in both Polish and English, you'll need to have one set of sound files cued but not the other.

A few wonderfully helpful Polish guys tried to translate my adventure "Medical Problems" into Polish and had to give up, because they weren't willing to use Djinni, and importing the Polish via XML broke the line pointers, even though Djinni is SUPPOSED to be set up to import XML dialogue files.

Maybe you'll be able to do it, but I'm not optimistic.

Thanks for the reply!

"and unless you want to listen to each line in both Polish and English, you'll need to have one set of sound files cued but not the other."

I don't want to listen to the Polish than English - I just want to listen to the Polish one, but have both texts, one after the other, in dialogue options.

Seeing how this is difficult, is there a way to force the game to switch the language without going back to the main menu? Possibly a memory hack?

That way I can have a conversation with an NPC in POlish audio and English text, then press a toggle key that switches the address in the game's memory to Polish from English, and have a convesation again with same NPC, this time reading all the subtitles in Polish.
Maybe that's more realistic?

KoHaN69 said:
Seeing how this is difficult, is there a way to force the game to switch the language without going back to the main menu? Possibly a memory hack?

That way I can have a conversation with an NPC in POlish audio and English text, then press a toggle key that switches the address in the game's memory to Polish from English, and have a convesation again with same NPC, this time reading all the subtitles in Polish.
Maybe that's more realistic?
For most conversations, you can't have the exact same conversation again, because either a dialogue flag is set that makes that conversation unavailable, or the NPC is moved to a new phase where that conversation is unavailable. To do what you're asking for here, you'd need to freeze the game in the state it's in before you have the conversation, then allow the game to update when you have the conversation for the second time. Either that or save the game before every conversation, then go through the loading process all over again.

It IS possible to open up every conversation in Djinni and copy and paste the Polish lines after the English lines, but that would be a LOT of work. Or you could play the game once with English subtitles, then play it again with Polish subtitles. ;)

Top Bottom