Extremely Low performance

+
Extremely Low performance

Hello purchased The Witcher 2 and currently having issues running the game. Talked to some friends about that and have messed around with settings for a few hours and still no luck so looking for some ideas/help on this one.

So I'm getting 20-25 FPS running the game and this is as all settings. That means swapping the setting from Low/Medium/High/Ultra(With Uber texture off) or dropping the resolution in the game shows NO performance change at all in the game. I'm at a pretty big loss on this one on why it is doing this. My computer should be more than capable of running this game even on medium settings.

System Information: Note that I'm running this on a laptop
Windows 7 64 bit Home
Intel Core i7-2630QM
GEFORCE GTX 460m
8GB Ram

I've ensured it's no issues with the laptop power limiting on performance mode or the video code running Conservative on power. I have no issues running other games like Battlefield 3 on High or Skyrim on high etc... So not sure what the issue is here.

When I run afterburner I see 99% GPU use but my Processor sits only around 30-50% which would imply a possible bottleneck but I really don't see that happening with this setup. I'm really at a loss here and any troubleshooting tips or advice would be great. I'm currently running the 290.53 Beta drivers and have tried the previous 5 versions of graphics drivers.

Thanks ahead of time for any help, feel free to ask for more information or give some troubleshooting tips. -Des

The GPU at 99% says that the card is doing everything it can . Have you tried uninstalling the 3D drivers or at least make sure they are disabled . Also what screen res. are you in currently .

3D drivers are uninstalled and I run at 1920x1080 but have tried other resolutions with multiple graphic settings and still get that 20-25 FPS.

I put in another thread that sometimes the configurator resets itself to auto detect for no apparent reason .
You might try either of these after setting the configurator 1024 X 768 , 1280 X 720
and then run the game from the witcher2exe instead of the launcher to see if that makes a difference .

Dropped res to 1280x1024, FPS ran 28-30 on all graphic settings.
I don't see a witcher2.exe I bought the game through steam and all the files in the game folder just open the launcher.

Desmoralol said:
Dropped res to 1280x1024, FPS ran 28-30 on all graphic settings.
I don't see a witcher2.exe I bought the game through steam and all the files in the game folder just open the launcher.
Yeah even if you find the witcher2exe and click it you will be sent through the launcher . I don`t know why Steam initiated this procedure . The location of the witcher2exe would be in
C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Witcher 2/bin

Your laptop should have the optimus software , did you do the following
1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel
2. Select: Advanced View
3. Navigate to: Manage 3D Settings
4. Select tab entitled: Program Settings
5. Use the "Add" button to find and add the .exe file(s) for the game(s)
you would like to use the Nvidia card for
6. Select the option "High Performance NVIDIA Processor"
7. Click on "Apply"
8. Exit the NVIDIA Control Panel

In step # 5 using the browse button navigate to above location to add the witcher2exe .

Desmoralol said:
Yeah, already set up a profile and did that through optimus.

Here`s something that may help some . It gives a little better options for tweaking .
http://www.witchernexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=181

Right now i`m at a loss . 28-30 if it`s consistent should be playable enough with very little if any lag . Will give it some additional thought and if i come up with any additional to try will post it here .

Tommy said:
Right now i`m at a loss . 28-30 if it`s consistent should be playable enough with very little if any lag . Will give it some additional thought and if i come up with any additional to try will post it here .
Getting 20-30 FPS depending on settings isn't really 'playable' this game on a low resolution on my monitor running that low FPS is not a ideal experience. With my system setup and how I run other games I don't see why my FPS is so low and it shouldn't be. This is a very pretty game and deserves to be played as such when the system is more than capable of playing it on AT LEAST medium settings with 60 fps constant.

You have probably done this but...

- disable vsync through the nvidia panel
- turn off uber sampling in witcher 2 options

gave me 70+ FPS in the game. (Was getting 30/40 FPS before this "fix")
All my other witcher settings are maxed.

It seems a shame that this game has such poor performance on decent systems huh

my sys:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
core i7 960 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb ddr3 gskill @ 1314Mhz
2x 128gb kingston SSD's
msi nvidia 460GTX 1gb @ 866/2225mhz

cheers!

Desmoralol said:
Getting 20-30 FPS depending on settings isn't really 'playable' this game on a low resolution on my monitor running that low FPS is not a ideal experience. With my system setup and how I run other games I don't see why my FPS is so low and it shouldn't be. This is a very pretty game and deserves to be played as such when the system is more than capable of playing it on AT LEAST medium settings with 60 fps constant.

What you get with "other games" just doesn't apply to this one. This game drives the GPU so hard that there's actually been some talk of using it as a new benchmark, or at least part of one. I don't think it runs "60 fps constant" for anybody on anything; there will be at least framerate dips for everybody, so you're expecting something that nobody can give you.

The 260m is only a little below the stated minimum for this game (8800 GT 512, which has the same number of shaders but a slightly faster clock), so your expected performance with the GPU maxed out should be framerate in the 30s at medium settings and reduced resolution (such as 1280x720, which this game seems to like).

I'm running a 460mGTX not 260. My biggest issue is that I get the exact same FPS on all settings of the game. That suggests to me there is a issue running with the software or something specific with my setup that is causing this. It's not normal that I get 20-25 FPS on Ultra at 1920x1080 and get 20-25 FPS on Low.

I'm not expecting 60 constant on Ultra or anything but I should be able to get 40-60 range on medium settings with this setup and how this game looks.

Sorry about that; with a 460m, you should be able to do better, but you are still going to have trouble getting good frame rate on full resolution (1920x1080) at any setting.

The GTX 460m is not the equivalent of the desktop 460; it's more like a desktop GTS 450. That card won't perform satisfactorily at full resolution, either.

What worked for me on a GTS 450, which is the same architecture (clocked faster) is high settings at 1280x720. Make sure you are actually running at that resolution.

Another possible problem, one that's peculiar to laptops, is the system throttling the GPU to avoid overheating. This is a very real possibility with this game, which will drive the GPU at full performance for long periods.

Top Bottom