Which character do you dislike most?

+

... Been thinking a couple of times what CDPR's intentions were for the character Johnny Silverhand in this game. Was he meant to guide V? Was he indented to be funny, to let the player laugh? Was he meant to be sarcastic? I just can't figure it out. ...

It is quite possible you missed (or, perhaps not reached yet?) the part where Johnny explains who he is. I really doubt you'd be asking those questions if you would not.

So - obviously spoilers - if you really want to know, then in less than two minutes Johnny will tell you the answer, himself:

But i think you do.

Dex's quite alright fella in compare to some. Much reminds me of real world gangsters of 1930s - sure is cruel and merciless, yes, and backstabs with no second thought when there is no other way to get out of some predicament - but in the same time, he's got certain honor, too. Proof being T-Bug - still alive, well and even quite respecting Dex, despite/after doing a number of gigs with/for Dex in the past.

Certainly the fact he tries to wipe V out is nothing oh too special, in itself? V's doing lots of very same stuff - dropping folks for cash - throughout the game. If anything, if this is the one and only reason, then objectively it's V to dislike much more than Dex, based on how many folks V offs just because some fixer offered V to earn some cash by doing it.

So yep. Much interested to know your explanation here.
Its just my opinion so, Dex is a fixer, a guy who will need to prepare things for that heist, which he poorly did, after everything that happened he don't even want to do anything with you because he is scared that he will die by arasaka, someone powerful like him could easy save himself instead killing V for "failing" heist even if he brought chip to him. In some point u are right what you said, but honestly I just don't like him for reason that he are not willing to find other way instead killing V.

Phair

Forum regular
Jackie Welles and Panam Palmer, I don't like either one of them.

They are almost identical characters, in their personalities. Both of them are loud and obnoxious, and think everything should go their way, and real knuckle dragger's. I'm glad Jackie got killed, and Panam could use a bullet in her mouth, or at least a good spanking. It's quite obvious why no one likes her and she left her tribe. She must've constantly been throwing temper tantrums.

THE CAT!
Just kidding I love the cat...

So sad that I could not Kill DEX myself, but he is dead and I am not (yet) so I guess I should not waste time hating him.
I like the "Taste the love" girl but hate the OOOOOOOOrrrrGASMIC guy. But that could be some personal issue I need to meditate on some time.

River annoys me but I do not hate him.

I guess I would have to say Anthony Harris!
How could anyone say otherwise unless you have a Sinner Man level of bleeding heart forgiveness crap ;)

Last edited:
Its just my opinion so, Dex is a fixer, a guy who will need to prepare things for that heist, which he poorly did, after everything that happened he don't even want to do anything with you because he is scared that he will die by arasaka, someone powerful like him could easy save himself instead killing V for "failing" heist even if he brought chip to him. In some point u are right what you said, but honestly I just don't like him for reason that he are not willing to find other way instead killing V.
I see. Well in this case i think it's just that you are not aware about certain in-game things and lore, which makes you think what you think. Specifically:

1st, preparations Dex took were not "poor", which we know by the following facts:

- he spent his own cash, and in advance, to buy the drone (this gets confirmed by sellers of the drone itself when one particular dialog is experienced by V);

- he created a plan which, in fact, worked perfectly well, despite Yorinobu's quarters being one of most protected spaces in the whole Night City, which is nothing to sneeze at. This includes fake identities and papers for V and Jackie as well as corresponding Night City database entries;

- he spent his own cash to hire Delorean, at at its most expensive form, too (which includes combat mode which, naturally, saved V's life when Smasher tries to rip delorean apart).

In the whole game, no other fixer does as much. Nothing close to. Both main and side missions. For example, when V needs to get in touch with one certain maman Brigitte - local fixer just sends V to a local church to be contacted by an unknown person who will offer V some unknown job, for no reward other than to hopefully be able to talk to the woman.

2nd, yep, Dex is scared Arasaka will get him - but he's very much correct in doing so. He's so scared that if you'd have V not go to the bathroom, but stand in Dex's room a little bit - then you'd hear Dex making a phone call to get aboard a shuttle that same very day, to leave Earth entirely.

To understand why he's correct in such a big a fear, one would need to pay attention to some small dialogs throughout the game, and certain "historical" shards in the game - ones which tell the story of corporate wars of the past. From those, we learn that Arasaka, for decades, is a force comparable to whole US / Militech armed forces in miltary sense, and perhaps unrivalled global intelligence service of the time, on top (things like "you can't sneeze in Night City without some sakura pettles dropping in Tokyo"). Further, we also learn from corpo prologue that Arasaka is able, willing and indeed do mass killings even when victims are some diplomats.

This corp is a machine which kills its targets without any speck of pity, utter efficiency and deadly grasp. And at the helm of this corp for great many decades stood Soburo Arasaka - a man who writes in his diary how he could turn whole Night City to ashes in a matter of just few minutes, if that would be his wish; "but for now i decided not to do it". This is the caliber of Arasaka, you see - a nuclear private power.

Imagine yourself in Dex's place, with your enemy being US army guided by CIA and "forgetting" about any humanitarian laws, all in order to get back something very important which you stole from US president whom, they think, you also killed. This is nearly the same situation to what Dex found himself in.

As for killing V: V was an extra lead to Dex, which arasaka could well take. Dex had no way to know how much of V's identity / circumstances arasaka was able to figure out during and right after the heist. This is why Dex kills V - it's simply self-preservation. And we can clearly see Dex takes no enjoyment in it, too. As he himself says right before killing V: something along "seems like i chose small life and getting old, after all" line, with almost regret in his voice. It's just that he knows that taking V's life is much increasing the chances to save his own.

So yep, Dex is right to feel that huge fear. And perhaps the ultimate proof of his fears being appropriate - is his very fate, itself: despite all his efforts, he _is_ killed by an arasaka personnel: Takemura, at the time, operates under direct orders from his new boss, Arasaka CEO, Yorinobu Arasaka.

And last and not least, Dex himself explains in at least one particular line of V's last talk with Dex: there was no way to know Soburo Arasaka would visit Yorinobu's appartment. Nobody could prepare for that. Soburo's plans and schedule - as any big corp's CEO plans and schedule - is very closely and efficiently guarded secret. Dex is not to blame here - no fixer, no matter how good, could foresee that.

Last edited:
I see. Well in this case i think it's just that you are not aware about certain in-game things and lore, which makes you think what you think. Specifically:

1st, preparations Dex took were not "poor", which we know by the following facts:

- he spent his own cash, and in advance, to buy the drone (this gets confirmed by sellers of the drone itself when one particular dialog is experienced by V);

- he created a plan which, in fact, worked perfectly well, despite Yorinobu's quarters being one of most protected spaces in the whole Night City, which is nothing to sneeze at. This includes fake identities and papers for V and Jackie as well as corresponding Night City database entries;

- he spent his own cash to hire Delorean, at at its most expensive form, too (which includes combat mode which, naturally, saved V's life when Smasher tries to rip delorean apart).

In the whole game, no other fixer does as much. Nothing close to. Both main and side missions. For example, when V needs to get in touch with one certain maman Brigitte - local fixer just sends V to a local church to be contacted by an unknown person who will offer V some unknown job, for no reward other than to hopefully be able to talk to the woman.

2nd, yep, Dex is scared Arasaka will get him - but he's very much correct in doing so. He's so scared that if you'd have V not go to the bathroom, but stand in Dex's room a little bit - then you'd hear Dex making a phone call to get aboard a shuttle that same very day, to leave Earth entirely.

To understand why he's correct in such a big a fear, one would need to pay attention to some small dialogs throughout the game, and certain "historical" shards in the game - ones which tell the story of corporate wars of the past. From those, we learn that Arasaka, for decades, is a force comparable to whole US / Militech armed forces in miltary sense, and perhaps unrivalled global intelligence service of the time, on top (things like "you can't sneeze in Night City without some sakura pettles dropping in Tokyo"). Further, we also learn from corpo prologue that Arasaka is able, willing and indeed do mass killings even when victims are some diplomats.

This corp is a machine which kills its targets without any speck of pity, utter efficiency and deadly grasp. And at the helm of this corp for great many decades stood Soburo Arasaka - a man who writes in his diary how he could turn whole Night City to ashes in a matter of just few minutes, if that would be his wish; "but for now i decided not to do it". This is the caliber of Arasaka, you see - a nuclear private power.

Imagine yourself in Dex's place, with your enemy being US army guided by CIA and "forgetting" about any humanitarian laws, all in order to get back something very important which you stole from US president whom, they think, you also killed. This is nearly the same situation to what Dex found himself in.

As for killing V: V was an extra lead to Dex, which arasaka could well take. Dex had no way to know how much of V's identity / circumstances arasaka was able to figure out during and right after the heist. This is why Dex kills V - it's simply self-preservation. And we can clearly see Dex takes no enjoyment in it, too. It's just that he knows that taking V's life is much increasing the chances to save his own.

So yep, Dex is right to feel that huge fear. And perhaps the ultimate proof of his fears being appropriate - is his very fate, itself: despite all his efforts, he _is_ killed by an arasaka personnel: Takemura, at the time, operates under direct orders from his new boss, Arasaka CEO, Yorinobu Arasaka.

And last and not least, Dex himself explains in at least one particular line of V's last talk with Dex: there was no way to know Soburo Arasaka would visit Yorinobu's appartment. Nobody could prepare for that. Soburo's plans and schedule - as any big corp's CEO plans and schedule - is very closely and efficiently guarded secret. Dex is not to blame here - no fixer, no matter how good, could foresee that.

WOW, not bad counselor.

LOL, you passed the BAR in California didn't you? :D

Practicing or are you retired?

As for killing V: V was an extra lead to Dex, which arasaka could well take. Dex had no way to know how much of V's identity / circumstances arasaka was able to figure out during and right after the heist. This is why Dex kills V - it's simply self-preservation. And we can clearly see Dex takes no enjoyment in it, too. As he himself says right before shotting V: something along "seems like i chose small life and getting old, after all" line, with almost regret in his voice. It's just that he knows that taking V's life is much increasing the chances to save his own.

What could I say instead one big WOW. Thank you explained this perfectly, I made mistake if we could say so, and still I got just one more question, if Dex killed V, and had a plans to evacuate, how did Takemura alone found him and made him to find V's body Takemura, okay I get it, arasaka is powerful and all but later some arasaka ninjas try to kill takemura and V, I didn't understood that part of game well

Jackie Welles and Panam Palmer, I don't like either one of them.

They are almost identical characters, in their personalities. Both of them are loud and obnoxious, and think everything should go their way, and real knuckle dragger's. I'm glad Jackie got killed, and Panam could use a bullet in her mouth, or at least a good spanking. It's quite obvious why no one likes her and she left her tribe. She must've constantly been throwing temper tantrums.
Can't agree about Jackie. Like, at all. Man, you just don't get him. Jackie's bravado and accented manliness is just a mask. Defense mechanism. Inside, he's still one scared neighbourhood fella, knowing very well how little and insignificant he is. The most true "street kid" there is in the game - a person knowing he must be tough and scary on the outside because otherwise some gonks would off him in some alley, but in the same time knowing that only through true friendship and camaraderie it is possible to get through the toughest times - namely, when it's not some gonks but some truly scary and smart enemies waiting in that dark alley.

And he's loved by his family, too. Misty, mama Welles, all the folks at Jackie's funeral (you probably did not attend, or even was not invited to it, eh). Which would never be the case should Jackie be just "loud and obnoxious".

Panam, otoh - true, much like you said. But even Panam is not just loud and egotistical bitch. Especially if you develop panam's story in a certain manner. She can end up very much V's best friend and rather selfless leader for Aldecaldos - caring, attentive, supportive, reliable. _If_ you make certain choices during Panam quest line only, however.
Post automatically merged:

WOW, not bad counselor.

LOL, you passed the BAR in California didn't you? :D

Practicing or are you retired?
Why thank you very much. Big compliment, considering i never stepped on any soil less than thousand miles from any particular US state. %)

And neither practicing nor retired. I'm a techie, if to use a game's term. Never spoke in any court in my life. :D

Toss up between Kerry for being utterly predictable and cliche as the gay male option or Johnny for dominating the main plot while being one of the less interesting characters.

Dishonourable mention to Panam for ninjamancing me against all odds.

What could I say instead one big WOW. Thank you explained this perfectly, I made mistake if we could say so, and still I got just one more question, if Dex killed V, and had a plans to evacuate, how did Takemura alone found him and made him to find V's body Takemura, okay I get it, arasaka is powerful and all but later some arasaka ninjas try to kill takemura and V, I didn't understood that part of game well
Fair question indeed. The game does not explain this sequence in any detail. But we can try to deduct some things with certainty.

1st, we know Takemura works for Yorinobu because Takemura starts to do it right when V's hiding next to Saburo's body: Yorinobu asks what Takemura's job is, Takemura says "to protect head of Arasaka", Yorinobu then reminds that he, himself, is head of Arasaka now, and Takemura complies to Yorinobu's 1st direct order. We see all that.

2nd, we know Takemura is attacked by Arasaka forces right after he kills Dex and gets V. We see it happen. We also know that about same time or very shortly after, Arasaka starts to hunt Takemura, disables his implants, blocks his accounts, etc.

3rd, we know Yorinobu killed Saburo. We see that.

4th, we know initially Yorinobu states Saburo was poisoned - we also see that, right then and there.

5th, we know Yorinobu would inevitably discover (this or that way) that Relic is missing, very soon after he murdered Saburo. Such a thing can't remain unnoticed for any long - at very least because building's netrunner was disabled by the drone, which gets discoverd soon after no matter what happens, and from there a prompt investigation leading to discovering the relic is gone would be done.

6th, we know Arasaka discovered T-Bug and eliminated her in short order. We hear that, and later get confirmation from no other than Rogue herseld that T-Bug is dead.

Those facts are sufficient to figure out what happened while V was knocked out:

- Yorinobu's 1st priority would be to make sure nobody blames him a murderer. Initially, he states Saburo was "poisoned" by (it implies) unknown assailant. But as soon as Yorinobu discovers relic was stolen - obviously most convinient person to blame Saburo's death on would be the thief who stole it. Which was, V;

- Yorinobu then commands full scale investigation by Arasaka forces: the official goal is "to find Saburo's killer", the unofficial goal - is to find the relic as well, and the secret goal - is to get rid of V, because Yorinobu knows that whoever "thief" is - it wasn't that person who killed Saburo, and thus that person would be able to tell other people that Yorinobu lies about it;

- If nothing else, they quickly investigate who T-Bug was, her peers and connections. Lots of people knew T-Bug worked with Dex. Thus Arasaka would then very much want "to ask Dex a few questions". But Dex was hurrying to orbit, as we know. So, Arasaka was able to intercept and capture Dex before he flew away in that shuttle (which does not surprise me at all);

- then, Arasaka was able, via interrogation of Dex, to learn V's identity (if not by any other means). Yorinobu's true goal was to kill V and blame Saburo's death on V with nobody able to prove otherwise. To do it well, Yorinobu sent a single but very capable operative - Takemura - to the dump where V's body was thrown away at, to verify "for sure" that V is dead;

- the plan was, then, to have Takemura eliminate Dex, and in turn some other operatives to eliminate Takemura. The latter both to hide whole "gotta make sure V is dead" nature of the operation, but also because Yorinobu (quite rightfully!) suspected that Takemura still got lots of loyalness to Saburo personally, and would not rest until digging up everything possible about Saburo's death. A risk Yorunobu could not take.

This is how and why Takemura ends up hunted by Arasaka, which in turn makes him willing to save and later work with V. Note, however, that Takemura is indeed never loyal to V; should V choose not to get to Arasaka in the end, and provided Takemura survived through, - he'll be very, very spiteful and hateful towards V in the end credits.
Post automatically merged:

Toss up between Kerry for being utterly predictable and cliche as the gay male option or Johnny for dominating the main plot while being one of the less interesting characters.

Dishonourable mention to Panam for ninjamancing me against all odds.
Johnny and Panam both solid choices, but Kerry? Come on, the guy's just a gonk. Have some pity! :D

Last edited:

Great "defense" work (it did make me stop and think). However just because it is relatively understandable; what DEX did to save his own skin, it still does not entitle DEX or anyone to expect V (me) to like it.

From my point of view I am totally justified in capping his ass the first chance I get.

Edit: I mean honestly we all know what DEX would have wanted done with Vs fine tooshie had V said "YES" to Evelyn Parker...

It was my 2nd disappointment in this otherwise amazing game that I did not personally get to insert an ounce of metal in his brain at sub sonic speed.

Yes yes, cliché to be sure but still as satisfying and excepted as the require Happy Hollywood Ending for the people of my culture. ;)

Last edited:
Great "defense" work (it did make me stop and think). However just because it is relatively understandable; what DEX did to save his own skin, it still does not entitle DEX or anyone to expect V (me) to like it.

From my point of view I am totally justified in capping his ass the first chance I get.

Edit: I mean honestly we all know what DEX would have wanted done with Vs fine tooshie had V said "YES" to Evelyn Parker...

It was my 2nd disappointment in this otherwise amazing game that I did not personally get to insert an ounce of metal in his brain at sub sonic speed.

Yes yes, cliché to be sure but still as satisfying and excepted as the require Happy Hollywood Ending for the people of my culture. ;)
Yep, Dexter's self-preservation intinct is no substantial reason to anyhow "like" him. But the point i was making is different: namely, Dexter's self-preservation instinct prevailing over "ethics" (as in, "it's wrong to kill anyone" and "it's wrong to betray one's peers"), - is no particular reason to dislike him. I mean, it's one quite common feat, is it not? =)

He's one fat ass, Dexter. And his manners is another possible reason to dislike his sorry butt, too. That, i can fathom. Oh, and he's also full of shit at times - all the talk about blaze of glory? He's clearly taking V for a gonk. Cynical old mofo of a ganster - typical for the kind, and sure enough, lots of folks dislike the kind.

But killing V, given the circumstances? Nah, i don't think it's any solid reason to hate the guy. Sure, "in-RP", any player can feel V's justified in hating / wishing to get revenge, that's true. But "outta-RP" as players, disliking Dexter for killing V? Hardly reasonable. After all, V's him/herself ain't no angel. It's the underworld, and things happen how they happen in it. Only natural.

Yep, something seriously wrong with River. Perhaps it's mismatch between who he is (an armed officer / PI later on) and how he communicates with V (lack of determination / certainty / strong will way too often)? Hard to pinpoint, he just feels way, way off. Unnatural. Wrong. "Out of character". Which is a shame, his story line itself is picturing a good guy, overal. I'd like to like him, but somehow i don't like him at all. %)

Takemura, he was recruited as a child soldier by Arasaka in a slum that fulfills the purpose of providing child soldiers.Now he is an adult,has grown across the ranks and just helps to keep the same situation.You point that to him and he says "yeah,but the corp cannot take care of all"...c'mon all no,but this particular system abuse that Arasaka is using maybe yes.
In your view, it is as if it was his fault for not having the power to change the very situation he came from, that is simply not true. You can't expect to blame him for having a much better life than anyone around him even imagined for him.

It is in everyone's responsibility to make the most of the opportunities of each own life, it can not be pretended that if some others did better, they magically owe it to someone else who did nothing for them in the first place.

In his life experience, he did not spend his time blaming others or waiting for other people to take care of his own problems, so he's not the hangman of anyone, just the saviour of his own life. That's pretty much admirable at least.

Probably Johnny, he's so conceited and arrogant. I was really frustrated with some of the dialogue options given to us to respond to him with. But there's a dichotomy there, because Keanu is really likeable, but Johnny as written is a massive arse - he does redeem himself somewhat by the end if you choose the correct dialogue choices in the oil fields.

Also Stan for interrupting my favourite music.

Top Bottom