Mech-fanatics UNITE!

+
Walls of text much?

Part of the reason I'm leery of mechs in-game, regardless of canon or style, is that from a gameplay perspective they are pretty pointless. Player is unlikely to drive them in-game and even if they did, it would be some silly shoot-everything-on-the-street mission.

NO, more likely it would be for a Boss Fight. Some special series of attack and defense hoops you have to hop through. How utterly tiresome and simplistic.

Boss fights in or vs mecha....ugh.

I hope for more depth and resourcefullness from teh game's game elements.

Walls of text much?

Part of the reason I'm leery of mechs in-game, regardless of canon or style, is that from a gameplay perspective they are pretty pointless. Player is unlikely to drive them in-game and even if they did, it would be some silly shoot-everything-on-the-street mission.

NO, more likely it would be for a Boss Fight. Some special series of attack and defense hoops you have to hop through. How utterly tiresome and simplistic.

Boss fights in or vs mecha....ugh.

I hope for more depth and resourcefullness from teh game's game elements.

Well yeah... that too...

Not that i have anything against it or anything, but i don't have found memories about mechas from other games. So i will pass.

...I'll just leave this here...

Yeeeeaaahhh... I'm not expecting mecha in the game, but if they *do* include mecha / ACPA, there'd better be a good reason for it, rather than an arcade "blow up all teh things!!! pew pew pew" mode.

...I'll just leave this here...

Yeeeeaaahhh... I'm not expecting mecha in the game, but if they *do* include mecha / ACPA, there'd better be a good reason for it, rather than an arcade "blow up all teh things!!! pew pew pew" mode.
I want that music to play on background all the time when we play cp2077...

Wisdom's words, and they were a lot of words, but I think they went something like "the mech in the concept art wasn't anthropomorphic like a gundam" or something like that... made me realize how much it reminds me of the "giant robot" in 20th Century Boys...

SPOILER:
It turns out, by the year 2000 in the manga timeline, and with time and budget constraints etc. a giant robot like the one the sect leader "Friend" wasn't possible... so they made a cheap ass frame, made a mechanism that looked like the robot had walking legs while in reality it moved on wheels... and the body was an inflated balloon covered in a dirty cloth...
Maybe this one is a hoax too!
END OF SPOILER:

Also, I think that, while it doesn't contractually bind the developers into putting that mecha or any mecha in the game, I think it gives more hopes to see some kind of mecha than say, if a witcher game had concept art involving a spider monster and then the spider monsters don't appear BUT MONSTERS DO.

And as for the discussion on what was happening on the pic, and why only swaggy seemed aware of the mech... maybe it's kind of common seeing them, maybe it's on some kind of patrol and any other citizen but their target is informed of this manoeuver and told to behave normally. Maybe it's not even the mech being after Swaggy, but Swaggy going to assault this mech for what or who is inside.

Giant Mech's wouldn't be out of place in this setting. I think problem is when people say mech they associate the word more with Gundam 00 or Macross. Where mech can move at jet fighter speeds, and slower mechs are chopped down in seconds. I would think more along the lines of mech moving at the speeds in Pacific Rim or 8th MS team. Where movement feels more like a bipedal tank roaming the battle field. It could even be a smaller version like those seen in Ghost in the Shell.

Not having mech in a setting that has complex cybernetic implants seems pretty stupid to me. They are basically just making a larger exoskeleton for the user. I already hope exoskeletons are going to be in the game, they could make size variants. Small version covers the persons body, but its hard to notice. Medium version gives the person the look that they are wearing some kind of combat armor. Heavier version would completely encase the person in armor, requiring them to pilot it.

I doubt we would get mech the size of buildings to pilot, that seems like it would be high end military tech since it would require allot of maintenance. A mech suit that was 12 feet+ tall would seem feasible to me. Even as a vehicle option a mech doesn't need to be bipedal, it could have wheels, treads, or some kind of hover gear. I really want them to put in cybernetic animals we can have as a pet, mostly because I want to have my own blade wolf to ride on.

They are basically just making a larger exoskeleton for the user. I already hope exoskeletons are going to be in the game, they could make size variants. Small version covers the persons body, but its hard to notice. Medium version gives the person the look that they are wearing some kind of combat armor. Heavier version would completely encase the person in armor, requiring them to pilot it.
In the PnP game, these are typically referred to as Linear Frames, and / or ACPA.

Even as a vehicle option a mech doesn't need to be bipedal, it could have wheels, treads, or some kind of hover gear.
That being the case: what would make it a "mech"? If the vehicle's primary locomotion is wheeled, treads, or vectored thrust, what would make this kind of vehicle mech-like?

The other thing about mecha in a setting: mecha are then usually regarded as part of the "normal" existence. Any anime or manga I can think of that deals with mecha, they're as common as a Honda Civic or Toyota Camry.

In the PnP Cyberpunk 2013 / 2020 universe, any kind of tech approaching mecha is most certainly NOT common, and typically restricted for military / corporate use, requiring military / corporate training and resources. I would no sooner expect to see / get my hands on anything mech-like in this game, than I'd expect to clock out from my shift here at work, drive to the nearest military reserve base, hop the fence, and successfully take an M1 Abrams tank out for a joyride.

To be absolutely clear: while I certainly don't expect mecha to appear in the game, I won't be angry / disappointed if they *are* included.

I would, however, think it a pretty huge deviation from the original source material.

Blank Redge I do agree with you I don't think mech would be common. Since they most likely require mechanics specialized in their field to up keep, but I could see a mechanic/pilot getting their hands on one and up keeping it. I would just imagine they would need to have a steady income that supports that.

Mech aren't common in ghost in the shell, but military groups and private military groups have access to them. I could see it being the same way in this game.

I think of mechs as having arms or some way to grab onto some thing. Mode by which they achieve it legs, wheels, or hovering device doesn't matter.

I think of mechs as having arms or some way to grab onto some thing. Mode by which they achieve it legs, wheels, or hovering device doesn't matter.
So... Gunhed, basically.

As previously stated, I don't think it fits the setting. But, that's just me.

And Wisdom000. =p

I'd still would really like to have some kind of mech. The more they look like Landmates (without the ability to go airborne, please) the better. The manga, Appleseed the Beginning, EX MACHINA, XIII and Gits SAC did them perfectly. Alpha not so much... it looked too Michael Bayeish for my taste. My idea of a mech is that it amplifies your height, weitght, strength, size... and it has two big hands that work like the pilot's but use weapons which can't be used by humans (but in a similar fashion). I prefer this modular approach to the weapons that mechs can use over driving a tank with legs that already has built in weapons. I don't know which would be more convenient, but the Landmate way looks the coolest for me. Seeing those police landmate sitting on a transport and turning to grab their "too big for humans" rifle before they step down. I also like the really slick design they had: yeah, now we have a lot of maybe more realistic designs of exoskelletons where it all looks more like a machine and less like a robot (if that makes any sense). These don't look like junk, they look more like cars. They even have tire-like soles under their feet.

Oh, they fit the setting, absolutely. Just the upper-end-of-the-spectrum setting. Sort of like Hovertanks.

Hovertanks not fitting the setting? Little book called Hardwired, massive inspiration for the PnP, the author tested and wrote supplements for the PnP, begs to disagree.

But those are not low-level street-grit games, is all.

Also, ACPA is stupidly OP in the PnP, anyway. I love 'em, but I'd nerf hell out of them. Armour that has it's own BTM stat? And is faster than a guy -not- in armour? Um, no.

My problem with them is the technical and physics issues. While mechs and AVs are "cute" and certainly could be made they're not practical from an engineering and physics (ground pressure and fuel consumption) perspective. I MUCH prefer CP2077 based on plausibility not fantasy. We already have the Witcher series to cover fantasy.

My problem with them is the technical and physics issues. While mechs and AVs are "cute" and certainly could be made they're not practical from an engineering and physics (ground pressure and fuel consumption) perspective. I MUCH prefer CP2077 based on plausibility not fantasy. We already have the Witcher series to cover fantasy.

Good point. But what about ACPA? They were pretty clear in Maximum Metal that ACPA is crazy-heavy and not for use in buildings. Okay, true, they kind of undid this when they gave them a flying wing thing, but other than that....

ACPA?
American Concrete Pavement Association?
American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association?
American Catholic Philosophical Association?
American Chronic Pain Association?
Arizona Crime Prevention Association?

As to Linear Frames, they're VERY useful and practical in certain very limited situations.
When used as say Ripley's loader in Aliens aboard a ship with metal decking that can handle the ground pressure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom