Big Cities w/ bad reputations

+
Recently, I was talking to my son about Cyberpunk 2077 and joked with him about a lot of parallels between it and real life. Have you ever been told about a city or neighborhood with a bad reputation and you meander through it without any problems at all? I've been prone to walk different cities and neighborhoods like that on purpose in real life just to find that nobody bothers me unless I engage with them. Cyberpunk 2077 is a lot like that. Imagine talking to a Joy Toy telling you about how at any moment you can be snuffed by a stray bullet but generally Cyberpunk 2077 is harmless until you attack someone. I'm really hoping in Phantom Liberty and the update that this changes. Realistically, after 4+ playthroughs of the game, I only get intimidated by the environment's people when I'm low in street cred on the hardest difficulty setting. Lately, I've been playing a lot of Rage 2 and have noticed how frequently a stray missile or rocket will either hit my character or hit in its general location.

It's menacing and gives the feeling that you can die for nothing just being anywhere in the world.

Cyberpunk 2077 infers this both in the lore and the content from NPCs, but I've spent months in the game just meandering and no one suggests danger unless I interact with them. Even in the situation with the police fighting maelstrom on the northside. They might get into a shootout, but if I do normal IRL people behavior, i.e. just put a significant distance between me and the problem, I'm pretty safe. In general, it's more likely to accidentally trigger aggression in the game than it happens as the nature of the people of the environment.

I like that because it's REAL and it takes a bunch of pressure away from just exploring, but it definitely makes Night City feel like Las Vegas around midnight. Basically, "you expect" vagrants and vagabonds, but you're not really afraid of them doing anything but asking for a cigarette or drugs.

It would be cool if gangs proactively bothered the player. Like you're walking in the Maelstrom territory and you suddenly hear from the other side of the street: "Who the f*** are you? Get the f*** out of here!" or something like that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom