Multiplayer Thread - Competitive and/or Co-Op.

+

Multiplayer Thread - Competitive and/or Co-Op.

• PvP (COD, Battlefield etc)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • 4 player co-op which allows you to play with friends. (Borderlands)

Votes: 65 39.9%
  • MMO like multiplayer with 32+ players in the world doing their own thing (GTA Online).

Votes: 24 14.7%
  • I don't really care

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • I don't want multiplayer in the game.

Votes: 48 29.4%

• Total voters
People are afraid of douchebags appearing in an MMO. Well, if you make it so that you can't save nor get ressurrected, then people will behave better.

You mean people wouldn't create disposable characters just to fuck with people?
Come on, I thought you played EVE.

The internet brings out the worst in people and you know it.

Also, you are ignoring the massive loss of story telling tools and potential that MMOs just cannot supply.

You mean people wouldn't create disposable characters just to fuck with people?
Come on, I thought you played EVE.

The internet brings out the worst in people and you know it.

Also, you are ignoring the massive loss of story telling tools and potential that MMOs just cannot supply.

But then there would be progressive areas. If you get past some boundaries, then there won't be fresh characters. And fresh characters can't overwhelm other fresh characters.

Also it could be made so that you are "born" in certain places of like minded people. So you would be safe at first, because you would be deep in your faction's territory.

And there would be account wide tracking of who you mess with. You won't get to change your faction even if you create a new character. And if you mess with everyone, your new characters will be born as outsiders, so you end up having to fight the same bullies you were yourself.

And then there are always cops!

But then there would be progressive areas. If you get past some boundaries, then there won't be fresh characters. And fresh characters can't overwhelm other fresh characters.

Also it could be made so that you are "born" in certain places of like minded people. So you would be safe at first, because you would be deep in your faction's territory.

And there would be account wide tracking of who you mess with. You won't get to change your faction even if you create a new character. And if you mess with everyone, your new characters will be born as outsiders, so you end up having to fight the same bullies you were yourself.

Aweet mother of wank, just play WoW if you like it that much! Everything you have suggested is WoW. Maybe go work on a WoW mod that reskins all the mobs, players and powers as vaguely cyberpunky. I think you'll be a lot happier with that than with the profound disinterest you are generating here.

That can easily be done without the need of it being an MMO. I have already explained that.

What factions?

Do you have any experience of the PnP setting at all? The world of Cyberpunk 2020 is not about 'factions', it's about survival, you against everyone and everything else. People are tools used by corporations, governments, gangs and powerful individuals. The players are just such tools. When they are no longer of use, they are disposed of. There is no such thing as loyalty. Everything is too fluid.

CDPR and Mike Pondsmith made it very clear; Cyberpunk is not about saving the world, its about saving yourself.

First, if you can't change sides, then what is the point in creating new characters?
Second, this entire idea would result in a really shit game where one fuck-up ruins everything for you. The only way out would be a new account.

EVE teaches a great life lesson about "Risk vs Reward". Why would anyone play an MMO where they would not be willing to invest in their character? You suggested that there ne no resurrection or saving mechanic. That means every charcter would be effectively disposable. That would suck. It would suck even more as an MMO.

I assume you mean moderators. They can only do so much because people will always find a way to screw someone over within the rules.

All in all, your idea makes a hell of a lot of work for very little gain and you still are ignoring all the depth that would be lost. You are not suggestiong a change of format, but a completely different game that wouldn't even really work in the setting.

Your argument has been lost.

All in all, your idea makes a hell of a lot of work for very little gain and you still are ignoring all the depth that would be lost. You are not suggestiong a change of format, but a completely different game that wouldn't even really work in the setting.

This is in essence the problem with all mmo's, you can't have depth because depth requires the world you are in to react, not remain static and unchanging too all but the most incidental things. MMo's are horribly bad games, really good chat clients, but horrible games.

That can easily be done without the need of it being an MMO. I have already explained that.

What factions?

Do you have any experience of the PnP setting at all? The world of Cyberpunk 2020 is not about 'factions', it's about survival, you against everyone and everything else. People are tools used by corporations, governments, gangs and powerful individuals. The players are just such tools. When they are no longer of use, they are disposed of. There is no such thing as loyalty. Everything is too fluid.

CDPR and Mike Pondsmith made it very clear; Cyberpunk is not about saving the world, its about saving yourself.

First, if you can't change sides, then what is the point in creating new characters?
Second, this entire idea would result in a really shit game where one fuck-up ruins everything for you. The only way out would be a new account.

EVE teaches a great life lesson about "Risk vs Reward". Why would anyone play an MMO where they would not be willing to invest in their character? You suggested that there ne no resurrection or saving mechanic. That means every charcter would be effectively disposable. That would suck. It would suck even more as an MMO.

I assume you mean moderators. They can only do so much because people will always find a way to screw someone over within the rules.

I agree with everything you say..... Coop is fine.... But MMo not expecially in a setting like cyberpunk

Maybe I should put the entire line from the FAQ in bigger text and BOLD: Cyberpunk 2077 is not an MMO. It will not be an MMO. There is no developer interest AT ALL to make it an MMO.

So you all can stop worrying abotu that.

WHat MMO mechanics that might show up, or how you define them clearly as MMO mechanics as opposed to MP mechanics, I don't know. But rest assured CDPR has no interest in making a CP2077 MMO or anything resembling one. They've repeatedly stated it's being built as a SP game. It will have -some- MP, that's it.

Or maybe they're totally trolling us and 2077 is going to be their first MMO!11!! Eeek!

I think not.

Maybe I should put the entire line from the FAQ in bigger text and BOLD: Cyberpunk 2077 is not an MMO. It will not be an MMO. There is no developer interest AT ALL to make it an MMO.

So you all can stop worrying abotu that.

WHat MMO mechanics that might show up, or how you define them clearly as MMO mechanics as opposed to MP mechanics, I don't know. But rest assured CDPR has no interest in making a CP2077 MMO or anything resembling one. They've repeatedly stated it's being built as a SP game. It will have -some- MP, that's it.

Or maybe they're totally trolling us and 2077 is going to be their first MMO!11!! Eeek!

I think not.

True, but there is no harm in discussing the reasons behind such decisions.

Seems more constructive to speculate on what type of MP they might implement. One of the '77 devs mentioned how they liked Dark Souls in that regard, although I'm expecting something more involved than that. I gotta start saving links so I can post quotes from the devs instead of claiming what they said.

Most of the links i found are in the faq with different interviews by date. Still a bit of a pain to find the exact quote, but you will see references there.

There is, of course, nothing at all wrong having the MMO vs MP discussion, many times. I just like to regularly remind interested parties that CDPR is not making an MMO and has expressed no interest in doing so. Cuts down on the confusion and reassures people who are interested in what CDPR has done so far, only to come here and see "MMO" scattered about.

Aweet mother of wank, just play WoW if you like it that much! Everything you have suggested is WoW. Maybe go work on a WoW mod that reskins all the mobs, players and powers as vaguely cyberpunky. I think you'll be a lot happier with that than with the profound disinterest you are generating here.

I have played Wow and it has brought some experience in MMOs. But like I have already told, Wow is not optimal. It has mostly instances and quests, though some changing world and other things to do, too. Still, Wow lacks in many ways, like you can't have your own areas and you can't hijack vehicles or anything. And it isn't Cyberpunk.

Most of the links i found are in the faq with different interviews by date. Still a bit of a pain to find the exact quote, but you will see references there.

There is, of course, nothing at all wrong having the MMO vs MP discussion, many times. I just like to regularly remind interested parties that CDPR is not making an MMO and has expressed no interest in doing so. Cuts down on the confusion and reassures people who are interested in what CDPR has done so far, only to come here and see "MMO" scattered about.

I tried to find an MMO thread, but you can't search with "MMO"-keyword.

Anyway, many people are also dissappointed Cyberpunk not being an MMO. I am one of them, but besides that, a high percentage of my friends think the same. It is not so that everyone would want Cyberpunk not to be an MMO just because the devs and a bunch of would be players agree on that Cyberpunk is going to be SP+MP.

Also just mentioning MP-features distract people. When they want the game to be an MMO and read MP, they convert MP with MMO because they have no idea what is an MP ... MMOs are so common today, that if a game is just an MP, people don't have a clue what the heck is that, and suppose it being an MMO. Many get dissappointed.

I have played Wow and it has brought some experience in MMOs. But like I have already told, Wow is not optimal. It has mostly instances and quests, though some changing world and other things to do, too. Still, Wow lacks in many ways, like you can't have your own areas and you can't hijack vehicles or anything. And it isn't Cyberpunk.

I tried to find an MMO thread, but you can't search with "MMO"-keyword.

Anyway, many people are also dissappointed Cyberpunk not being an MMO. I am one of them but besides that high percentage of my friends think the same.

There's no real need for an MMO thread as this won't be an MMO.

If you want to start a thread in the Off-Topic section to discuss the merits of MMOs, you're welcome to do so, but you would probably be best NOT to have any expectation that CDPR will develop CP77 as an MMO, otherwise yes, you will be disappointed.

Yes, but the point was to make an MMO, which you then try to shoot down. Your comment above doesn't shoot down anything.

What factions?

Factions can be created by the players. Eg. "guilds" or corporations. Here you have incentive for role "corp-man", too, which could be kind of a leader character, who trains leading skills.

Who cares? You are trying to pin the players down into a setting by "because GM tells you so". Have you any experience in PnP games as such? One major concern is not to rail the players into certain predefined paths, but let the players decide what they want to do. If everything is too fluid for organizing things, why there are any corps that use the players as tools, then? How there are governments, gangs, and powerful individuals?

I don't care one bit what some one says. Cyberpunk is not about the creator of Cyberpunk. Cyberpunk sure starts with such stories where you try to survive. But then what? What are the corporations, governments, gangs, and powerful individuals doing in Cyberpunk, if it is about survival?

I can understand that the stories start with survival as main theme. And even if "Cyberpunk" TM is only about survival, Cyber isn't. I really don't want to stick to the survival theme only. A game of bums in Cyberland doesn't fly very far, when you compare to the total endless potential that the period of cyber offers.

There is still the no mans land. Or should I say, nomads land. You choose. THAT is a story!

Because there are no many levels, it would be easy to start all over. People would really like that there was once a real iron man game. That would be something different, not just an another Wow-clone.

No, I mean player cops.

I am suggesting to make the best MMO there ever has been. But it needs fluid graphics to work.

Wrong.

So, to sum up: You don't seem to care what the devs want to do. You don't seem to care what the CP2020 fanbase wants. You -blasphemously! - don't care what the CP2020 creator says.

As far as I understand things, Designer, your whole purpose here is to push forward an agenda that interests mostly...you. And some friends who also seem less than interested in CP2077.

Pointlessly, by the way, since the people making the game of the forum you are in, are not, not, not making an MMO.

I don't mind and even enjoy discussing MMOs and their history and development..in an off topic thread. Rather than hammering away at the fact that CP2077 is not an MMO. Or a racing sim. Or tetris.

One Multiplayer Co Op thought I had was, should the loot you get be transportable across other servers? Should it be specific to your character on that server? Can you make money on the stock market in your own server, then take that money across and destabilize Wisd..er..Redge's server?

!!! WARNING - ANOTHER WALL 'O TEXT !!!

Yes, but the point was to make an MMO, which you then try to shoot down. Your comment above doesn't shoot down anything.
So, your point is:
MMO for the sake of MMO.

I stand by my previous statement.

Factions can be created by the players. Eg. "guilds" or corporations. Here you have incentive for role "corp-man", too, which could be kind of a leader character, who trains leading skills.
Right, hold on, I'm confused.
So the players create the factions, and the players start the game in these player created factions...
So who created the first factions that the first players join at character creation?

I can kind of see this idea working in an MMO, (with a lot more fleshing out,) especially a Cyberpunk MMO, but not for 2077. It would suit a game closer to PS2.

Who cares? You are trying to pin the players down into a setting by "because GM tells you so". Have you any experience in PnP games as such? One major concern is not to rail the players into certain predefined paths, but let the players decide what they want to do. If everything is too fluid for organizing things, why there are any corps that use the players as tools, then? How there are governments, gangs, and powerful individuals?
Cyberpunk 2020, Cybergen, Cyberpunk 203X, SLA, WFRP, WFRP2, D&D 3, D&D 3.5, D&D 4, Vampire (masquerade & darkages,) Werewolf (wild west & darkages,) Exalted, Battletech, Obsidian: The Age of Judgement...
Those are some of the PnP games I have played and I have run games for most of them too. So yeah, I think I do have some experience.
And you should care, we all should care, because 2077 is based on a PnP game. Sure the players should have a lot of freedom and they should not be railroaded, but with no story and no plot it would be a shit game. The GM creates the story and guides the players on a 'general' path through it. He often has to create new chapters and even remove them too, (like when the team kidnaps an execution target instead of killing them...)

And in answer to my question, do you have any experience with PnP games? Specifically Cyberpunk 2020?

I don't care one bit what some one says. Cyberpunk is not about the creator of Cyberpunk. Cyberpunk sure starts with such stories where you try to survive. But then what? What are the corporations, governments, gangs, and powerful individuals doing in Cyberpunk, if it is about survival?

I can understand that the stories start with survival as main theme. And even if "Cyberpunk" TM is only about survival, Cyber isn't. I really don't want to stick to the survival theme only. A game of bums in Cyberland doesn't fly very far, when you compare to the total endless potential that the period of cyber offers.
And todays word of the day is:
Pompous
- Adjective
- Affectedly and irritatingly grand, solemn, or self-important: "a pompous ass".
- Characterized by pomp or splendor: "there were many processions and other pompous shows".

Tell you what. As you don't give a shit what anyone else thinks, the game developers and the world creator included, why don't you go create your own game. Go hire a dev team, get them to make it just the way you want.

Alternatively, read up on what this game is actually about rather than ignorantly dismissing it out of hand. Cyberpunk 2020, (the basis for the 2077 game,) is not directly about Mike, (it's creator,) but guess what; it's his game so he decides what it's about! Hence why I said you should just go make your own. Then you can decide what it is and isn't about.

There is still the no mans land. Or should I say, nomads land. You choose. THAT is a story!
I get the impression you didn't do very well at school with regards to Literature.

Because there are no many levels, it would be easy to start all over. People would really like that there was once a real iron man game. That would be something different, not just an another Wow-clone.
Because creating another disposable character every half hour, (or less,) is so much fun...

You realise you are suggesting the most pointless and shallow game ever? Seriously, Pong has more depth that this game would end up with.
Why would people play a game where they can lose everything they have invested their time and effort into at any moment for no real gain?
How many people would rage quit from being ganked 20 times and having to roll a new character every time in one session? How many people would actually get to see any of the actual game world?

Actually, there are games that kind of fit this description, one of them is CoD.

No, I mean player cops.
Yeah, let's give players even more power. They won't abuse it. That works so well in other games...
FFS man, I thought you said you had played EVE! You ever heard of the word "Corruption"?

I am suggesting to make the best MMO there ever has been. But it needs fluid graphics to work.
That, I understand, accept and, (to an extent,) support.

What I don't understand, or accept, is that you want to kill our ultimate SP game there has ever been to do it and you don't care what anyone, (dev's and subject creator included,) else thinks.

Well, that's an informative and well considered respose.

So, to sum up: You don't seem to care what the devs want to do. You don't seem to care what the CP2020 fanbase wants. You -blasphemously! - don't care what the CP2020 creator says.

As far as I understand things, Designer, your whole purpose here is to push forward an agenda that interests mostly...you. And some friends who also seem less than interested in CP2077.

Pointlessly, by the way, since the people making the game of the forum you are in, are not, not, not making an MMO.

I don't mind and even enjoy discussing MMOs and their history and development..in an off topic thread. Rather than hammering away at the fact that CP2077 is not an MMO. Or a racing sim. Or tetris.
Well put.

One Multiplayer Co Op thought I had was, should the loot you get be transportable across other servers? Should it be specific to your character on that server? Can you make money on the stock market in your own server, then take that money across and destabilize Wisd..er..Redge's server?
Would that mean that multiple people could be able to destabilise... er... Redge's economy?
...yeah, Redge...

This is getting ridiculous. Just start another thread about a cyberpunk MMO, Designer5. Then it's a legit topic. But you'll have to look for another developer to make it.

I am under the impression that because this game is based on a P&P RPG if have a multyplayer formula should stay loyal to that mechanic....what i mean?

Disclaimer: I know is a bit too much to ask but i put down the idea....

COOP should allow you what player you want be around you and also allow a Narrator Slot....

What the narrator can do?:

Prepare and spawn ennemy..Give reward..Impersonate NPC ((this will build the coop not only in a mere lets do quest togheder but add depth and unlock the possibility to have a endless adventure))

I love the opportunity of coop if allow me to roleplay my character around other players that actually roleplay a character...

Vampire the masquerade redemption and also Neverwinter night had a GM narrator system and there are still people that play narrated campagn on those games...

Of course this is just an idea to improve a COOP mode.... Let the MMO at side and tell me what you think about that..

I am under the impression that because this game is based on a P&P RPG if have a multyplayer formula should stay loyal to that mechanic....what i mean?

Disclaimer: I know is a bit too much to ask but i put down the idea....

COOP should allow you what player you want be around you and also allow a Narrator Slot....

What the narrator can do?:

Prepare and spawn ennemy..Give reward..Impersonate NPC ((this will build the coop not only in a mere lets do quest togheder but add depth and unlock the possibility to have a endless adventure))

I love the opportunity of coop if allow me to roleplay my character around other players that actually roleplay a character...

Vampire the masquerade redemption and also Neverwinter night had a GM narrator system and there are still people that play narrated campagn on those games...

Of course this is just an idea to improve a COOP mode.... Let the MMO at side and tell me what you think about that..

I see where you are going with this. Does anyone remember Neverwinter Nights? It had a "Dungeon Master" slot in the multiplayer mode, and they could spawn any NPC or item they wanted in any number at any time. They were actually there though, (looking like the DM from the cartoon series of D&D!) but he was invisible if he wanted to be.

I would have no issues at all with CDPR taking a similar approach to that.

Top Bottom