Next-gen Deus Ex game in development at Eidos Montreal

+
Next-gen Deus Ex game in development at Eidos Montreal

The Future Vision for Deus Ex

As promised, I'm back to share more news about our Eidos-Montreal studio and what the teams are working on here. We currently have several games in development including the upcoming Thief, but today I will focus on two particular announcements both relating to the future of Deus Ex.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a critical and commercial success, and from this game an amazing franchise has been revived. We are fully committed to Deus Ex here at Eidos-Montreal, we’ve already learnt so much and we have many new ideas for the future that we are actively working to develop.

So first up, I am delighted to announce that we have confirmed a ship date for Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut. We will be releasing the game on October 22 (25 in PAL regions) on the Wii U, PS3, Xbox 360 and PC. Over the last 18 months, the team has been working very hard on the development of the Director’s Cut. With this edition, we gave the team the envious task of pushing the boundaries of innovation and creativity to explore something we believe will become a big part of the future of the franchise, the second screen experience. When the game launches, players will have the opportunity to experience Human Revolution in a new and unique way through SmartGlass, the PSVita and the Wii U GamePad. I look forward to hearing your feedback on the Deus Ex forums.

And we are taking things further.

I’m really excited to let you know that we are working on an ambitious idea which we’re calling Deus Ex: Universe.

The concept behind Deus Ex: Universe is to create an ongoing, expanding and connected game world built across a generation of core games. It’s a commitment on our part to deliver meaningful content that expands the franchise on a regular basis and to deliver a deep conspiracy that will span several connected Deus Ex games, creating a more immersive and richer experience than ever before. Deus Ex: Universe will include PC and console games, but also additional Deus Ex games and experiences available in other media such as tablets, smartphones, books, graphic novels, etc... You might have seen the name pop up recently in the press – well this is what it’s all about.

I’m pleased to confirm that we are already into production of the starting point for Deus Ex: Universe with a new game for PC and next-generation consoles. We’re very excited about it at the studio and I wanted to let you know that most of the team behind Deus Ex: Human Revolution is already working hard on this new game. It took us four years to learn how to create a unique Deus Ex experience with Human Revolution and it was important for me to keep this knowledge within the franchise.

I want to leave you with a piece of concept art from our next-gen Deus Ex game that shows trans-humanism segregation, which is a backdrop to our vision for the next Deus Ex. It represents a "ghetto-city' voluntarily built in order to separate the classes. The people in this segregated class have reshaped their environment, nostalgic for their ideal of Cyber Renaissance. This dark and dystopian vision sets the tone for things to come in Deus Ex.

For now, I hope you are excited about the future of this game that we love so much. Deus Ex is coming to next-gen, it’s early so don’t expect to hear much more from us just yet, but I wanted you to know.

I'm very excited as a developer and gamer!

eidosmontreal.com

That concept art looks pretty good ....I am guessing the actual game wont be out till 2015-16...just like Cyberpunk.

It's a solid concept, put out a series of games based on an ongoing story arc. It's a good business model, tried and tested. I just hope they keep it fairly open with a lot less railroading than most games that follow that model. An open world would be great too, especially to avoid such limited environments as were in Human Revolution.

Open world in an interesting city. More detailed and modular cyberware. More detailed and customizable weaponry. More character development, not just via cyberware. And of course, a kickass, smooth first person engine; the whole point of Deus Ex was always to combine a first person shooter with roleplaying elements and character advancement. The worst possible thing they could do to a Deus Ex game would be to make it third person.

Just have to wait and see how many of those come true.

didn't get the MMO vibe really. It seems more like a series of games across multiple platforms that share a canon and gameplay concepts.

I did get the MMO vibe. UNIVERSE. So, a series of games - expansions - that share the same universe. And gameplay concepts. If it was just about single player sequels, would they name it and position it like it's something special?

We will see, of course. But I'm sceptical to say the least.

The Future Vision for Deus Ex

As promised, I'm back to share more news about our Eidos-Montreal studio and what the teams are working on here. We currently have several games in development including the upcoming Thief, but today I will focus on two particular announcements both relating to the future of Deus Ex.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a critical and commercial success, and from this game an amazing franchise has been revived. We are fully committed to Deus Ex here at Eidos-Montreal, we’ve already learnt so much and we have many new ideas for the future that we are actively working to develop.

So first up, I am delighted to announce that we have confirmed a ship date for Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut. We will be releasing the game on October 22 (25 in PAL regions) on the Wii U, PS3, Xbox 360 and PC. Over the last 18 months, the team has been working very hard on the development of the Director’s Cut. With this edition, we gave the team the envious task of pushing the boundaries of innovation and creativity to explore something we believe will become a big part of the future of the franchise, the second screen experience. When the game launches, players will have the opportunity to experience Human Revolution in a new and unique way through SmartGlass, the PSVita and the Wii U GamePad. I look forward to hearing your feedback on the Deus Ex forums.

And we are taking things further.

I’m really excited to let you know that we are working on an ambitious idea which we’re calling Deus Ex: Universe.

The concept behind Deus Ex: Universe is to create an ongoing, expanding and connected game world built across a generation of core games. It’s a commitment on our part to deliver meaningful content that expands the franchise on a regular basis and to deliver a deep conspiracy that will span several connected Deus Ex games, creating a more immersive and richer experience than ever before. Deus Ex: Universe will include PC and console games, but also additional Deus Ex games and experiences available in other media such as tablets, smartphones, books, graphic novels, etc... You might have seen the name pop up recently in the press – well this is what it’s all about.

I’m pleased to confirm that we are already into production of the starting point for Deus Ex: Universe with a new game for PC and next-generation consoles. We’re very excited about it at the studio and I wanted to let you know that most of the team behind Deus Ex: Human Revolution is already working hard on this new game. It took us four years to learn how to create a unique Deus Ex experience with Human Revolution and it was important for me to keep this knowledge within the franchise.

I want to leave you with a piece of concept art from our next-gen Deus Ex game that shows trans-humanism segregation, which is a backdrop to our vision for the next Deus Ex. It represents a "ghetto-city' voluntarily built in order to separate the classes. The people in this segregated class have reshaped their environment, nostalgic for their ideal of Cyber Renaissance. This dark and dystopian vision sets the tone for things to come in Deus Ex.

For now, I hope you are excited about the future of this game that we love so much. Deus Ex is coming to next-gen, it’s early so don’t expect to hear much more from us just yet, but I wanted you to know.

I'm very excited as a developer and gamer!

eidosmontreal.com

I love you.

Any job openings for a good story writer?

That concept art looks pretty good ....I am guessing the actual game wont be out till 2015-16...just like Cyberpunk.

will be interesting to see which game releases first

edit: wanted to see what the reaction to this news is on the official deus ex forums.. and holy sh*t, what the fuck is wrong with this board? it's like the most cynical place on the internet

I did get the MMO vibe. UNIVERSE. So, a series of games - expansions - that share the same universe. And gameplay concepts. If it was just about single player sequels, would they name it and position it like it's something special?

We will see, of course. But I'm sceptical to say the least.

Well, I think so, yes. It is something special if they are trying for a consistent canon - akin to the Halo universe.

I'm pretty open to being pleased. If CP2077 wasn't cooming, I'd be a) a lot more excited and b) a lot more nervous. But CP2077 is coming and as much as I like the DE games, they are cyberpunk-lite compared to, you know, actual Cyberpunk. With Mike Pondsmith.

So hey, if they are good, great! And if they suck, oh,well, I'll still enjoy them. No matter what, I get Cyberpunk.

Hell, that extends to my attitude on every game that has been announced since 2077.

"Huh. Could be cool. AND Cyberpunk 2077 is coming!"

I hope for a little more cyber and a lot more punk in DE this time, though. I felt I didn't get a chance to say, "fuck YOU" in Deus Ex enough.

Forum veteran
So... it's either an MMO or an episodic series of games? Good—neither of those things have ever proven to be a problem. Good times for everyone, especially since they're going to split the games up onto different platforms, thereby ensuring that many of them will either be completely meaningless or lock gamers out of part of the overall story. These people are truly masters of planning.

Anyway, I'm sincerely looking forward to September 2013 so that I can pick up the Android version of The Fall.

So, Deus Ex: MMO (but with mobile games, books, comics etc) ?
That was my first thought as well!

Still regardless it does sound like there will be online requirements. Perhaps the 'Universe' will be a cloud based hub that connects everything.

Sounds promising. Hopefully we get some more conspiracies in the future titles. And some different art-styles too. The whole yellow haze thing might get old, at least for me.

Not gonna be an MMO.... Just hope it doesn't turn out to be Assasin's Creed style milking. I'd hope to see something like Mass Effect where you can import saves and it takes 2-3 years to put out new game and then they fill the caps with novels and stuff.

Top Bottom