CDPR Just Hired MODDERS to Help Fix Cyberpunk 2077 & Add Mod Support

+
In fact, even if the modding tools for Cyberpunk are really good, and allows you to completely modify the game (to do like Bethesda), I imagine that if someone wants to add a "simple" new quest (wihtout use "shard system") with mods that will not look "all rotten" next to what the "base" game offers, he have to hang up and it's a huge job :)

This.

And if CDPR hits the trifecta, they could have a shot at toppling Bethesda's crown. Especially with an IP that caught the attention of 13 million gamers right out of the gate. Bethesda's tool kits actually ushered in NEW modders, and greatly expanded the modding scene. Especially after Oblivion. Bethesda knocked it out of the park with the Construction Set. And it was only natural that they capitalized on it with Skyrim and Fallout.

If CDPR doesn't do the same after the sales performance of Cyberpunk, well, then that's on them. But I think most people would see it as a hugely missed opportunity. And if Bethesda follows tradition with their new Starfield IP (where moddability is concerned), then CDPR may never get another chance. Seriously. What's NOT to love about a space sim RPG that's as moddable as Oblivion, Skyrim, or Fallout?
Mmm, I think you hugely overstimate the number of people who buy a game for the mods and moddability (or that they even know what is a mod). For wether Starfield is gonna be good or not, I keep a safe skepticims based on its Bethesda FIRST original IP in 25 years and I don´t think that they can be very proud of what they did to Fallout franchise (the best 3D game in the franchise for me, is not made by them).

Bethesda's writing and characters. Dull as dishwater. Not even Thomas the Tank Engine can change that. ;)

And you're entitled to your opinion, subjective as it is. That doesn't change the fact that Bethesda's games fare wildly better among the modding community and PC gamers than anything CDPR has ever offered. And for modders, the vanilla game is largely irrelevant. We make our own stuff for ourselves and others to enjoy. And given that the majority of Cyberpunk's sales (56%) were to the PC market, I don't think it's an opportunity they should pass up. But if your opinion of The Elder Scrolls franchise as a whole is "dull as dishwater", then there's nothing more for us to discuss.

But again, that's entirely up to them. If they choose for their game to be as obscure and irrelevant in the modding community as their prior titles are, well okay then.

Mmm, I think you hugely overstimate the number of people who buy a game for the mods and moddability (or that they even know what is a mod). For wether Starfield is gonna be good or not, I keep a safe skepticims based on its Bethesda FIRST original IP in 25 years and I don´t think that they can be very proud of what they did to Fallout franchise (the best 3D game in the franchise for me, is not made by them).

I don't think so. I know of quite a few modders (many of who were largely console gamers) who actually spent as much as $1,000 to build a good rig, just to play and mod Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. I'm not saying that vast numbers have or are doing that. I'm saying that BECAUSE of them, and others like them, the Elder Scrolls and Fallout franchises have thrived like no other. That's not subjective opinion. It's a fact. And while I certainly agree that Obsidian did a much better job with New Vegas, it's irrelevant to the franchise (or it's success) as a whole relative to the modding community and what it brings to the IPs. Which is what we're discussing here. We could argue the merits of the better game between studios (Obsidian vs. Bethesda), OR the merits of the better game WITHIN one studio (ie: Oblivion vs. Skyrim) until the cows come home. But those arguments are irrelevant in this context.

For the Starfield IP, yes, it remains to be seen. But again, if it's as moddable as the ES and Fallout games, it'll do just fine. Count on it.

Mmm, I think you hugely overstimate the number of people who buy a game for the mods and moddability (or that they even know what is a mod).
Yep, I also think that @Trykz you overstimate this number ;)
If it was also "important" as you think, why Bethesda is almost alone (especially on consoles...). If it represented any kind of possible income for Studios, I think Bethesda wouldn't be "alone" since a long time. All game would have their own modding tools and plenty of mods (or an easy way for create mods). But it's not the case, Bethesda is an exception.
Another example, Minecraft with very huge players base, with huge numbers of mods (the most popular have "alone" more than 200 millions of downloads) But players who use mods are a minority (I think less than 1%), so obviously Mojang (now Microsoft) don't care about mods :(

But if CDPR care about modding tools and mods, it already a great new... It's already better than most of studios :)

Last edited:
Yep, I also think that @Trykz you overstimate this number ;)
If it was also "important" as you think, why Bethesda is almost alone (especially on consoles...). If it represented any kind of possible income for Studios, I think Bethesda wouldn't be "alone" since a long time. All game would have their own modding tools and plenty of mods (or an easy way for create mods). But it's not the case, Bethesda is an exception.
Another example, Minecraft with very huge players base, with huge numbers of mods (the most popular have "alone" more than 200 millions of downloads) But players who use mods are a minority (I think less than 1%), so obviously Mojang (now Microsoft) don't care about mods :(

But if CDPR care about modding tools and mods, it already a great new... It's already better than most of studios :)

I didn't overestimate anything. Because I didn't estimate anything to begin with.

I'm not sure why you're concerned with the subject anyway. Do you mod? Are you a modder? Do you think you'll be running mods on your console?

You won't.

Sony will never go for it after the travesty of a launch on their platform, and Microsoft isn't going to shoot themselves in the foot after just recently purchasing Bethesda for $7.5 Billion, with plans to launch Starfield in Q4 2022.

But we ARE talking about PC modding here, right? And the level of support that CDPR "may or may not" give to that aspect of their game, right? Bethesda is FAR from "alone" when it comes to mods and moddability. Would you like the extensive list, or just the abridged version? Because it's quite a long list. The list of moddable Unreal games alone would likely fill a page. But Skyrim alone has 1.8 BILLION (with a "B" in case you missed it) downloads of JUST the mods available on Nexus. There are tens of millions more at DOZENS of other mod sites. And MORE mods are built for the game EVERY SINGLE DAY. RedKit is minimalist. WolvenKit is minimalist. Which is why the games they mod are "niche and obscure" in the modding community. NO ONE builds mods by the dozen for them DAILY.

My point here is this: CDPR putting a capable, quality tool into the hands of the modding community can ONLY be a win/win for CDPR by extending the re-playability of the game in the PC market space (again, the lion's share of their sales), as modders will be building mods for it long after the devs move on to other projects. But if it's a minimalist kit like the current tools for Witcher 2 and 3, then they may as well not even bother.

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
My point here is this: CDPR putting a capable, quality tool into the hands of the modding community can ONLY be a win/win for CDPR by extending the re-playability of the game in the PC market space (again, the lion's share of their sales), as modders will be building mods for it long after the devs move on to other projects. But if it's a minimalist kit like the current tools for Witcher 2 and 3, then they may as well not even bother.

[...]

This is an absolute truth.

I also do not believe that the yigsoft guys work with CDPR for something minimalist, it does not make sense because we would go back to the path of disappointment and the modders would turn their back on CDPR, starting this path means giving great concessions to the modder community.

I am prepared for disappointment ... but my opinion is that Night city is going to become a playground for passionate modders with the cyberpunk theme. CDPR could set some modification limitations on the IP, but I am sure that it will allow through Wolvenkit to develop new systems and content for the game that will allow Night city to stay alive for a decade.

Oblivion or Skyrim are a perfect example of how to involve passionate players in the game and it has been a 10/10.

This is an absolute truth.

I also do not believe that the yigsoft guys work with CDPR for something minimalist, it does not make sense because we would go back to the path of disappointment and the modders would turn their back on CDPR, starting this path means giving great concessions to the modder community.

I am prepared for disappointment ... but my opinion is that Night city is going to become a playground for passionate modders with the cyberpunk theme. CDPR could set some modification limitations on the IP, but I am sure that it will allow through Wolvenkit to develop new systems and content for the game that will allow Night city to stay alive for a decade.

Oblivion or Skyrim are a perfect example of how to involve passionate players in the game and it has been a 10/10.

What I don't understand, is the often open animosity for suggesting what EVERYONE knows to be true. Modders can (and DO) extend the lifecycle of many games. Which is a win for CDPR. A much needed win given the devastating hits they've taken to their reputation, and the lost trust of their own long time fanbase. This is a GOLDEN opportunity for them to reclaim a sizable portion of both, and set things right.

Why would anyone NOT want that?

The part of your post I highlighted is EXACTLY what they need to do. Because falling short of that mark will lead to exactly where we expect. Niche and obscure, and this endeavor will be an utter waste of time and effort. As I type this, 45 new mods (and counting) have been created and released on Nexus for Skyrim Special Edition. Just today. The Witcher 3? Four. The Witcher 2? None. CDPR needs to consider the reasons for this as they're creating this toolset. It's certainly not because the Witcher games are boring, or uninteresting. On the contrary, they're quite beloved. I think the answer is quite obvious. The tools are weak, and don't allow modders to truly display their true ingenuity and creativity.

Don't repeat that mistake here as well.

And yet - Skyrim SE: 27,863 concurrent players on Steam; The Witcher 3: 44,434 on Steam and who knows how many on GOG.

Now show me the Steam DB statistic for the players running the game through the SKSE32 and SKSE64 loaders.

Oh, that's right. You can't.

Sorry, bro. Steam DB is useless as PROOOOOOOF!!!!! when it comes to Skyrim or Fallout 4, which can both be run without runnng Steam :ROFLMAO:

Guest 3847602

Sorry, bro. Steam DB is useless as PROOOOOOOF!!!!! when it comes to Skyrim or Fallout 4, which can both be run without runnng Steam :ROFLMAO:
What metric is useful as PROOOOOOOF!!!!! of CDPR's games requiring a huge modding community to keep the players interested?

What metric is useful as PROOOOOOOF!!!!! of CDPR's games requiring a huge modding community to keep the players interested?
I think the only metric that could be used would be to check how many players Skyrim has if it didn't have their modding support the way they do. If it was just the base game or a very simple modding tool.
@Trykz I also don't understand but there seems to be a prejudice against modders or modding somehow.
And yet a lot of CDPR developers and managers used to be modders.
It's just the impression I get.

Guest 3847602

I think the only metric that could be used would be to check how many players Skyrim has if it didn't have their modding support the way they do. If it was just the base game or a very simple modding tool.
@Trykz I also don't understand but there seems to be a prejudice against modders or modding somehow.
And yet a lot of CDPR developers and managers used to be modders.
It's just the impression I get.
Then, it's the question for Bethesda and their games. "How fun they are on their own". Not for CDPR, because their games are not doing bad as it is. Not for me, either, because I'm buying their games at 80% discount and play them for 15-30 hours.
I've got nothing against modding, btw, I'm currently running TW3 with 28 mods (most of which are bugfixes, though), I just don't see story-driven games as a magnet for modders.

Top Bottom