New CG Cinematic for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Shows Geralt “Killing Monsters”

+
I love you all.

Only 379 post till 1000 :D

Did you all look at face of that girl when standing beside that guy at end... could swear that was kinda evil smile :D
Impresive graphics expesialy when you look at her at begining... i got only one moment feeling off about animations when Geralt was pushing back guy that was about to hit that girl...

My opinion is that making mind about guilt/not guilt and morality of that situation should be postponed to moment we get to know more details if we have chance in future :D

garrusbiggestfan said:
Nicholas I always thought the ice age thing was a myth? They said it is definetly gonna happen? was this in the books?

Spoilers for main plot of books follow:

No, it´s happening, in around 3000 years time. As of book ending not a total extinction but close enough. As most of the landmass is on the northen hemisphere and apparently far from the equator, it´s going to be bad. The prophecy said someone born of the Old Blood would unify the world and ensure most inhabitants survived. The mindscape from the end of Witcher 1 was what would happen otherwise. Ciri is (was?) destined to be the mother of that person, so she was the top prize. Emhyr had been told by kind of reliable sources he had to be father to both Ciri and her son, but when he was face to face with her he found out he couldn´t go along and make his daughter´s life even worse (Pavetta´s death was an accident that he deeply regrets, but Geralt makes him face and admit to himself that he would have been forced to kill her to ensure the plan worked) . The Lodge of Sorceresses had another candidate for father, and at first Ciri seems to accept it, but after the events of Rivia she decides not to (she tells Galahad she isn´t planning to return to her own plane for some time). The elves from the Wild Hunt wanted the child so he could open big gates to the world and rescue their kin (and likely genocide everybody else), and Vilgefortz wanted a pregnant Ciri´s placenta to study it, learn how her powers worked, and rule the world (he almost apologizes for wanting such a cliche goal).

Geralt apparently only learnt of Vilgefortz (whom he killed) and Emhyr´s plans. To the latter he says that if that´s what it takes the world, then let it freeze. He has kind of the same reaction to the plan from the 1st game, but Jacques made Emhyr look like a nice guy, at least he didn´t want to genocide non-humans. And if in 3000 years time nobody comes up with a better plan they kind of deserve what they get.

NicolasF said:
Spoilers for main plot of books follow:

No, it´s happening, in around 3000 years time. As of book ending not a total extinction but close enough. As most of the landmass is on the northen hemisphere and apparently far from the equator, it´s going to be bad. The prophecy said someone born of the Old Blood would unify the world and ensure most inhabitants survived. The mindscape from the end of Witcher 1 was what would happen otherwise. Ciri is (was?) destined to be the mother of that person, so she was the top prize. Emhyr had been told by kind of reliable sources he had to be father to both Ciri and her son, but when he was face to face with her he found out he couldn´t go along and make his daughter´s life even worse (Pavetta´s death was an accident that he deeply regrets, but Geralt makes him face and admit to himself that he would have been forced to kill her to ensure the plan worked) . The Lodge of Sorceresses had another candidate for father, and at first Ciri seems to accept it, but after the events of Rivia she decides not to (she tells Galahad she isn´t planning to return to her own plane for some time). The elves from the Wild Hunt wanted the child so he could open big gates to the world and rescue their kin (and likely genocide everybody else), and Vilgefortz wanted a pregnant Ciri´s placenta to study it, learn how her powers worked, and rule the world (he almost apologizes for wanting such a cliche goal).

Geralt apparently only learnt of Vilgefortz (whom he killed) and Emhyr´s plans. To the latter he says that if that´s what it takes the world, then let it freeze. He has kind of the same reaction to the plan from the 1st game, but Jacques made Emhyr look like a nice guy, at least he didn´t want to genocide non-humans. And if in 3000 years time nobody comes up with a better plan they kind of deserve what they get.
so in 3000 years this will happen (in the witcher world). I imagine most humans would be of the mindset of who cares so I am surprised so many people seem to care

garrusbiggestfan said:
so in 3000 years this will happen (in the witcher world). I imagine most humans would be of the mindset of who cares so I am surprised so many people seem to care

Only two or three people know the truth. Some leaders know it but keep the secret in order to aim absolute power and keeping inhabitants under fear..Do you want examples of such conduct in our real world through History?

Some of you who like/watch Linus and Slick might check out their show from last night. They had some problems with Twitch connectivity so it's in two parts:
Part two (trailer from 4:00)
Part two (trailer disussion from 1:15)

Probably in a day or two they will put the material as WAN Show on Linus Tech Tips Youtube channel

I agree with them that after the CGI trailer it would be nice to see some trailers based on in-game footage. We had a lot of them for TW2. Of course the game is still in early stage so realistically we need to be patient. But who knows maybe we will get some surprises on Gamescom next week.

Mai3r said:
That may be interesting. Go on.

Take any prophecy announcing a Savior and you'll see how some smart men used it to create an environament of fear and promising a supposed argmadeon if people don't believe it. There's thousands of this kind of facts. You can chose since the called pagans to those institutionalized in every conutry at every age.

Wichat said:
Take any prophecy announcing a Savior and you'll see how some smart men used it to create an environament of fear and promising a supposed argmadeon if people don't believe it. There's thousands of this kind of facts. You can chose since the called pagans to those institutionalized in every conutry at every age.

Oh, that it. I thought you're gonna say something about conspiracy theories. I'd agree on that.

Agent_Blue

krisk7 said:
Some of you who like/watch Linus and Slick might check out their show from last night. They had some problems with Twitch connectivity so it's in two parts:
Part two (trailer from 4:00)
Part two (trailer disussion from 1:15)

Probably in a day or two they will put the material as WAN Show on Linus Tech Tips Youtube channel

I agree with them that after the CGI trailer it would be nice to see some trailers based on in-game footage. We had a lot of them for TW2. Of course the game is still in early stage so realistically we need to be patient. But who knows maybe we will get some surprises on Gamescom next week.

Can high levels of hype be sustained over 14 months in a row?

Too soon for a gameplay trailer. Which log would CDProjekt then feed the furnace?

The whole thing must be a carefully orchestrated crescendo.

The topic of this thread is what again ?

Given that this trailer shows only one side of the dilemma i`m really hoping for another later that shows the same trailer but gives another side to the choices that would be available . Sort of a take on the "both sides of the same coin" kind of scenario . At least that way we could see the morally ambiguous decisions that would be found in the game .

Agent_Blue

Tommy said:
The topic of this thread is what again ? />/>

Given that this trailer shows only one side of the dilemma i`m really hoping for another later that shows the same trailer but gives another side to the choices that would be available . Sort of a take on the "both sides of the same coin" kind of scenario . At least that way we could see the morally ambiguous decisions that would be found in the game .

And here I though I was one of the very few forum members to hold the view the trailer is one-sided to the extreme, and thus not really indicative of the morally ambiguous choices we're supposed to be facing in the final game.

It seems there's a smirk on the girl's face at the end, though it's hard to tell.
Perhaps there is still hope.

I wouldn`t go so far as to say extreme . But I try to view trailers as one who is new to the series and seeing it as an introduction to the game while not letting my judgement from previous games and or books interfere . While the teaser is very good it only shows one decision and surely not the rest that could be made . I think that only when we see more than one outcome of the same teaser can we be made truly aware of the ambiguous choices and the results of those choices will CDPR be known for what they do best . And that would be some very gut wrenching decisions based on what I know from the previous games .

I`m sure that the teaser released just before Gamescom has some merit or indication . I guess that we`ll have to wait and see what happens during and after Gamescom .

Tommy said:
I wouldn`t go so far as to say extreme . But I try to view trailers as one who is new to the series and seeing it as an introduction to the game while not letting my judgement from previous games and or books interfere . While the teaser is very good it only shows one decision and surely not the rest that could be made . I think that only when we see more than one outcome of the same teaser can we be made truly aware of the ambiguous choices and the results of those choices will CDPR be known for what they do best . And that would be some very gut wrenching decisions based on what I know from the previous games .

I`m sure that the teaser released just before Gamescom has some merit or indication . I guess that we`ll have to wait and see what happens during and after Gamescom .

Yes, but it seems those results of those choices will not could be seen after sometimes in the game, I mean, they won't be immediates. Therefore, it coul be hard to see the whole two sides in one trailer...Even in E3 demo the concequences were seen later after playing a little/long more.

Wichat said:
Yes, but it seems those results of those choices will not could be seen after sometimes in the game, I mean, they won't be immediates. Therefore, it coul be hard to see the whole two sides in one trailer...Even in E3 demo the concequences were seen later after playing a little/long more.
What I mean is take this same trailer and show another choice such as what would happen if Geralt decides to not intervene or if he intervenes in a different way than what is shown in the teaser . For me a teaser is a short movie in that specific choices are shown and we watch what happens . Now show me another version of the same trailer but made with a different choice . Then we can see first hand the morally ambiguous choices that we can expect to see in the game . If I were a first time viewer or newcomer to the game these are the kinds of questions I would want answered .

Tommy said:
If I were a first time viewer or newcomer to the game these are the kinds of questions I would want answered .

That's the matter. Do you interest about things which don't arouse you some curiosity?

Agent_Blue

Tommy said:

The trailer is one-sided to the extreme in the way it portrays the Nilfgaardian soldiers as the clean-cut personification of Evil: three gritty gruesome-looking foul-mouthed male soldiers from an occupying force abusing and possibly contemplating rape of a helpless native pretty girl. Even her alleged wrong-doings can be justly turned back on the Nilfgaardian forces.

This is fairly close to a black-and-white dichotomy I'm afraid.

Tommy said:
What I mean is take this same trailer and show another choice such as what would happen if Geralt decides to not intervene or if he intervenes in a different way than what is shown in the teaser . For me a teaser is a short movie in that specific choices are shown and we watch what happens . Now show me another version of the same trailer but made with a different choice . Then we can see first hand the morally ambiguous choices that we can expect to see in the game . If I were a first time viewer or newcomer to the game these are the kinds of questions I would want answered .

I mentioned earlier - I want a sequel with the consequences. And I want those consequences to be that the woman is a monster who has been terrorising refugees, as well as wounded soldiers. As with your example, it drives home to a newcomer that all isn't black and white in a Witcher game. And it answers Agent Blue's concerns.

I've no problems with the way Geralt dealt with this, it seems in-character. But that doesn't mean I think he necessarily did the right thing. Snap judgements aren't always correct.

Well, he did the right thing given what he observed, but I agree- I would like to see a TWIST stemming from this scenario as well. But that's not to say that we should expect it; maybe the game won't feature the consequences of this action at all.

Top Bottom