Did you like the new ending of Phantom Liberty? (My Opinion) [SPOILER]

+
Personally I doubt that Reed ever wanted to free Song, he just fullfills orders - even knowing it’s wrong. Songs rampage is just an easy excuse for him doing so… but maybe that’s just my view tho : /
Yeah, at the space port, Reed say to Myers that he will fulfill his duty anyway and I doubt he's lying... And as a "true" patriot, he would bring back Songbird despite of his feelings. Alex warn you about that, he's not your friend and never will (Johnny too, friendships and duties are incompatible).

That's also why I think, Reed is not really "angry" against Songbird after she betrayed him (he's rather angry against Myers, but again patriotism, duties...), it's just a "thing" and he would have likely done the same.

Wow, it appears I'm the only one who is team Reed.

I think they made the new ending purposely depressing, so as not to make it THE ending that everyone picked. Panam's reaction did come across as out of character, I'd definitely agree with that.

The question I want to ask is what any of you would do differently in Myers' shoes, let alone Reed's?

In Reeds shoes? I would give a flying f*ck about orders from someone who betrayed & sacrificed me in favor to save his/her own ass or career - how less self-esteem one could have… than again that would make a pretty short DLC x‘D

now I’m curious :)

anything specific you like about Reed or the path/content if you side with him or even anything specific in the ending(s)?
Most of all, I think I just like his vibe. A mix of professionalism and menace. I like Padre for the same reason. I also like that he looks after those in his charge. Yes, he failed Songbird, but he at least has the decency to feel bad about it, and try to help her now. Ethically dubious, yes, but it's not like V is in a position to judge anyone for that.

Songbird seemly betrays everyone she meets.

Most of all, I think I just like his vibe. A mix of professionalism and menace. I like Padre for the same reason. I also like that he looks after those in his charge. Yes, he failed Songbird, but he at least has the decency to feel bad about it, and try to help her now. Ethically dubious, yes, but it's not like V is in a position to judge anyone for that.

Songbird seemly betrays everyone she meets.
That’s fair enough didn’t expect an answer like that - well said :)

i like Padre pretty much as well for the same reasons my issue with Reed tho is that I can’t differ what are his own feelings and what belongs to blind patriotism… even if this conflict made his character interesting - in the end I just can’t feel him and his decision following Myers orders while knowing its wrong ethically.

Last edited:
Yeah, I like the new ending.

Its quite obviously that they tried to make the PL ending as depressing as possible, but it just doesnt make much sense. And some of the reactions of your friends are... questionable.

-Kerry: He's cool. I mean, he's Kerry Eurodyne. Yeah, he's on tour, we'll see later. Maybe I'll vistin him up there. I can afford it, I retired with 5 million eddies, and thats not even counting the stash.

-Judy: Look like she finaly grew up. Its a bit wiered that her leaving NC is handled as surprising. In my playthrough she left long ago, sent some postcards. I'm happy for her.

-Panam: Yeah, f you too. I guess I'll meetup with Mitch some day, have a beer. He's cool.

-River: I dont get it. No really. He sold some files... and thats why he doesnt want to meet me? So that I dont judge him or what? The moraly flawless V? Dude, I'm a professional murderer, I killed 4000 people. Many of them simply because someone payed me for it. Hundreds because they looked at me the wrong way. I slaughtered entire communites just to sell their guns and maybe get a bounty. I'm a multi-millionair, and none of that was earned with honest work, I took it from the bloody corpses of my victims (somehow Maiko is the only one in game who ever mentions that, everyone else is always like 'Hey! V! You're such a good friend! How was your day? Oh! You killed 50 People... again... Awesome!'. But I degress).

-Vic: Well, at least he is a true friend. Fell on some economic hard times. That sucks, but thats live. I could help him out.

-Misty: Oh, common. "Dont worry V, you're now one of us, just a face in the crowd". What a nonsense. And then the thing with the two punks...

There is no reason V would be 'helpless'. He cant use some combat implants (Vic says its something with motoric cortex...). All passive implants are still fine, the Kiroshis are still working (otherwise he'll be blind). And honestly, I dont need combat implants to kill 20 punks. I once made a 'ganic' playthrough without any optional implants (just the stuff you get in the beginning). So?
The wierdes thing about the two punks is, that apparently V left the car without carrying 20 guns. How could that happen? Its not like you get alergic to firearms as a sideeffect of the cure.

In Reeds shoes? I would give a flying f*ck about orders from someone who betrayed & sacrificed me in favor to save his/her own ass or career - how less self-esteem one could have… than again that would make a pretty short DLC x‘D
Could you really abandon your commitments, your oath to your country, because of your personal grudge with your current leader? Do you not have anyone back home that you care about? Do you think the blowback won't bleed out into your people's lives?

Edit: Eh maybe those questions are a bit intense in the current you know what. Sorry if I touch any nerves. I'm essentially asking Reed.

Last edited:
Personally I doubt that Reed ever wanted to free Song, he just fullfills orders - even knowing it’s wrong. Songs rampage is just an easy excuse for him doing so… but maybe that’s just my view tho : /

I would like the first part tho at least it would give them a proper reason to cut contact - „Vs sellout“ hmm yeah would work for me
Hm, I actually would disagree. For me, the game made clear that Reed is a broken man, that he feels very guilt and that he genuinely wants to trie to help Songbird getting her peace. In this chase I would recommend to try out the option to tell Reed that she wants to betray him. Initially I tried this only because I wanted to see what will happen, but than I though, okay lets be fair, give him a chance and let him have his conversation with Songbird - that sound reasonable.

Maybe this will make the character a bit deeper for you. Or however, maybe its just because I never really liked Songbird that much. :D

But besides this, all in all I would consider Mysers the main malefactor. Maybe I have a false memory, but it seems to me that Reed was actually willing to lets Myers down, to save Songbird and redeem himself.

I mean, even Johnny says that he feels sorry for him at the and :D

Hm, I actually would disagree. For me, the game made clear that Reed is a broken man, that he feels very guilt and that he genuinely wants to trie to help Songbird getting her peace. In this chase I would recommend to try out the option to tell Reed that she wants to betray him. Initially I tried this only because I wanted to see what will happen, but than I though, okay lets be fair, give him a chance and let him have his conversation with Songbird - that sound reasonable.

Maybe this will make the character a bit deeper for you. Or however, maybe its just because I never really liked Songbird that much. :D

But besides this, all in all I would consider Mysers the main malefactor. Maybe I have a false memory, but it seems to me that Reed was actually willing to lets Myers down, to save Songbird and redeem himself.

I mean, even Johnny says that he feels sorry for him at the and :D
I don't disagree that Reed wish to help Songbird, but the question is : would he do it?
Sadly the answer is no...
If helping So Mi was his main and only objective, he wouldn't force me to kill him, after I'm begging several times to let us pass, to save So Mi.
So again, as a patriot, despite of his feelings for So Mi and Myers, and his "wishes", he will do his duties, no matter what. Something that Alex totally understand when you talk with her afterward. Reed didn't let me any other choice than killing him, I'm sorry.

Beside, when Myers say to Reed bring back Songbird even dead, at least try to spare her head, he doubt... But after Myers leave, when Militech soldiers ask what to do, he answer "you heard her, do it".

Last edited:
I don't disagree that Reed wish to help Songbird, but the question is : would he do it?
If helping So Mi was his main and only objective, he wouldn't force me to kill him, after I'm begging several times to let us pass, to save So Mi.
So again, as a patriot, despite of his feelings for So Mi and Myers, and his "wishes", he will do his duties, no matter what. Something that Alex totally understand when you talk with her afterward. Reed didn't let me any other choice than killing him, I'm sorry.

Beside, when Myers say to Reed bring back Songbird even dead, at least try to spare her head, he doubt... But after Myers leave, when Militech soldiers ask what to do, he answer "you heard her, do it".
I have to wonder, was Reed always so slow? Was that the extent of his ability in a duel? Would he underestimate V so much after seeing what they could do?

Reed did his duty, but maybe greeting you on the platform, face to face rather than planting a sniper round in your skull sponge from the shadows or around a corner was his way of going all in. Either you had the conviction to do what it takes for her or he would fulfill his oath with the bare minimum of effort. He looks you in the eyes and slowly raises his weapon, he gives you every chance to do something about it. Skilled enough to end you in one shot, and resolved to accept the the consequences.

The man could have done better if he wanted to end V. I just don't buy that he would be that ineffective if he really meant to end you.

Hm, yeah. In this ending he sounds more evil - kind of a discrepancy. Probably a narrative device to make one more okay, depending on which way was chosen.

I guess we both need to try out the other ending path of Phantom Liberty :D

Last edited:
I have to wonder, was Reed always so slow? Was that the extent of his ability in a duel? Would he underestimate V so much after seeing what they could do?

Reed did his duty, but maybe greeting you on the platform, face to face rather than planting a sniper round in your skull sponge from the shadows or around a corner was his way of going all in. Either you had the conviction to do what it takes for her or he would fulfill his oath with the bare minimum of effort. He looks you in the eyes and slowly raises his weapon, he gives you every chance to do something about it. Skilled enough to end you in one shot, and resolved to accept the the consequences.

The man could have done better if he wanted to end V. I just don't buy that he would be that ineffective if he really meant to end you.
I didn't say he's a bad guy, a kind of cold killer, happy to kill you from far. No his a good guy, but a patriot above all ;)
But at the end, he let V a chance and the choice. The choice between giving him So Mi or dying... And from what we heard before, his main goal is not (no longer) So Mi good, it's to fulfill his duty.
So to fulfill his duty, if V have to die or even if So Mi have to die, so be it.
Hm, yeah. In this ending he sounds more evil - kind of discrepancy. Probably a narrative device to make one more okay, depending on which way was chosen.

I guess we both need to try out the other ending path of Phantom Liberty :D
I won't say more "evil", this "ending" point out that duties come first and over anything else, as Johnny pointed out in front of the tree surrounded by candles before.
This is exactly why he's not angry against So Mi betrayal. He understand why she did it and he would have done the same. Alex understand why V have to kill Reed, that's just how it is in the FIA. It's sad, but it's the job :)

Could you really abandon your commitments, your oath to your country, because of your personal grudge with your current leader?
Definitely - because there are countries out there where people live for more than blind patriotism and if the leader of my country are f*cking with their people for personal goals I would rather piss on them than on my own principles - easy like that. But we shouldn’t start a political discussion about oath etc - don’t even know if it’s allowed in regards of the forum rules ;)

i would rather flatline myself than serving someone like Myers ^^

Last edited:
The idea of everyone you know and got close to suddenly wanting nothing to do with you because you were in a coma for two years seems... well, idiotic.
Even if whoever you were romancing wasn't interested because they've moved on... the way everyone basically just cuts you off seems just nonsensical. They'd want to at least get back in touch.

All my ex's, unless they were royal douche canoes, I've stayed in touch with. There might not be a spark, but there's still respect and friendship.

I couldn't imagine just cutting someone out of my life entirely because of them being hospitalized for a couple of years.

Definitely - because out of the US people live for more than patriotism and if the leader of my country is fucking with their people for personal goals I would rather piss on them than on my own principles - easy like that. But we shouldn’t start a political discussion ;)
Not at all, I only was trying to be considerate just in case. I would protect the place my people live rather than watch the world burn if i were Reed. You have to imagine what the future looks like through his eyes if the walking wmd (that doesn't exist) falls into the hands of the wrong 'people'.

I think he was on her side until he realized she was out of control and never diverging from the path she set herself on. I think he probably would have tried to find some compromise if he thought she was still herself or that she would accept any sort of supervision. She can't just doom everyone, and there's no shot she vetted this decision, it's a desperate hail mary. It's probably not sunshine and rainbows waiting for her up there, nor for anyone else in the world if she makes it. This is Cyberpunk after all.

Not at all, I only was trying to be considerate just in case. I would protect the place my people live rather than watch the world burn if i were Reed. You have to imagine what the future looks like through his eyes if the walking wmd (that doesn't exist) falls into the hands of the wrong 'people'.

I think he was on her side until he realized she was out of control and never diverging from the path she set herself on. I think he probably would have tried to find some compromise if he thought she was still herself or that she would accept any sort of supervision. She can't just doom everyone, and there's no shot she vetted this decision, it's a desperate hail mary. It's probably not sunshine and rainbows waiting for her up there, nor for anyone else in the world if she makes it. This is Cyberpunk after all.
Well after all it’s kind of his fault that she became an issue at all he recruited her, pulled her out of her life and didn’t noticed what Myers made of her until it was to late - he even asked himself and V if he broke his promise to protect her - and yes he did not once but twice handing her over to Myers AGAIN ^^

Last edited:
Well after all it’s kind of his fault that she became an issue anyways he recruited her and didn’t noticed what Myers made of her until it was to late - he even asked himself and V if he broke his promise to protect her - and yes he did not once but twice handing her over to Myers AGAIN ^^
Mans was out of options choom. The moon is a no go, at least from his point of view. Maybe it all works out.

He failed her because she carried out the hit on him by the way, we was 'dead' when So Mi got her 'upgrade'. Lemme see if I can find that trailer for you...

I'm sure you've seen it. What was he supposed to know about it at this stage? He's been "dead" since then unless this trailer was retconned.

Mans was out of options choom. The moon is a no go, at least from his point of view. Maybe it all works out.

He failed her because she carried out the hit on him by the way, we was 'dead' when So Mi got her 'upgrade'. Lemme see if I can find that trailer for you...

I'm sure you've seen it. What was he supposed to know about it at this stage? He's been "dead" since then unless this trailer was retconned.
I love this trailer, because it show how So Mi doesn't want to betray Reed (she really hesitated to push the "button" and she seem very emotional), but she does what FIA agents must do, follow orders and duties, whatever their feelings or wishes could be.
Great trailer :)

Top Bottom