Please Please Don't go the Bethesda Route

+
"The catfish stuck its barbelled head above the surface, tugged with force, splashed, stirred the water and flashed its white belly.
'Careful, Dandilion!' shouted the witcher, digging his heels into the wet sand. 'Hold him, damn it!'
'I am holding him . . .' groaned the poet. 'Heavens, what a monster! It's a leviathan, not a fish! There'll be some good eating on that, dear gods!'
'Loosen it. Loosen it or the line will snap!'
The catfish clung to the bed and threw itself against the current towards the bend in the river. The line hissed as Dandilion's and Geralt's gloves smouldered.
'Pull, Geralt, pull! Don't loosen it or it'll get tangled up in the roots!'
'The line will snap!'
'No, it won't. Pull!'
They hunched up and pulled. The line cut the water with a hiss, vibrated and scattered droplets which glistened like mercury in the rising sun. The catfish suddenly surfaced, set the water seething just below the surface, and the tension of the line eased. They quickly started to gather up the slack.
'We'll smoke it,' panted Dandilion. 'We'll take it to the village and get it smoked. And we'll use the head for soup!'
'Careful!'
Feeling the shallows under its belly, the catfish threw half of its twelve-foot-long body out of the water, tossed its head, whacked its flat tail and took a sharp dive into the depths. Their gloves smouldered anew.
'Pull, pull! To the bank, the son-of-a-bitch!'
'The line is creaking! Loosen it, Dandilion!'
'It'll hold, don't worry! We'll cook the head ... for soup . . .'
The catfish, dragged near to the bank again, surged and strained furiously against them as if to let them know he wasn't that easy to get into the pot. The spray flew six feet into the air.
'We'll sell the skin ..." Dandilion, red with effort, pulled the line with both hands. 'And the barbels . . . We'll use the barbels to make—'
Nobody ever found out what the poet was going to make from the catfish's barbels. The line snapped with a crack and both fishermen, losing their balance, fell onto the wet sand."

Best fishermen NA.

I sincerely hope that you have an influential position at CD Project ..... thank you for a very well though out response and it seems you seek to give what RPG gamers have given up even asking for.

From the OP

In order to flesh out how I feel about using choices to enhance quest design I will describe a experience I had playing Dragon Age Origins.

A pivotal role playing event of the game is where you seek to be admitted to the Wardens and are give a choice to drink Darkspawn blood or die. In fact your comrade was murdered right in front of you for not drinking.

Up to this point this was an extremely good and believable setup for a choice.

Unfortunately the devs didn't give you any actual choice in how to respond to this situation (and it was a major situation) It was drink the blood OR drink the blood.

This was a very clear example of very poor use of choice in a quest, and quite impossible to role play. As a player and I simply quit the game because it had no respect for roleplaying or the player.

Sadly it would have been very easy to swing this exact same situation around and make the choices role playable.

All that was needed was to give the player the chance to actually choose in a satisfying way.

Choice 1 = drink the dragon blood
Choice 2 = State that Duncan is as vile as the Darkspawn he fights and attempt to hack your way out of the situation
Choice 3 = Recognize that you are outclassed, pull out your sword and end your life on it.

This was a major moment in the game wasted as the devs did it.

How could killing yourself or dying fighting Duncan be worked into the game? A simple cut scene where Duncan immobilizes you before you could do either and forces you to drink the blood saying " You are too valuable an asset to loose"

This way everybody wins and the story further moves and the player is given insight into how ruthless and desperate the Wardens really are. They did just murder your friend ....

Every major situation in W3 should be roleplayed by a whole group of employees who know how to do it. This way even things in the story that can't be changed can have dialog options that still gives the player a choice and the chance to roleplay and feel empowered instead of forced, even if the choice seems like death.

Last edited:
Please Please Don't go the Bethesda Route

The narrative in TW3 is toned down if compared to TW2 (it is officially stated...I think) to make way for the open world but to how much degree, that we don't know yet. But we don't have to worry about Skyrim game influences or sorts, they're two different games even though they're both RPGs.

Actually the Skyrim is not that monotonous as you think. But just like GingerEffect pointed out, choices in a quest is never supposed to be formulaic. That is such complex technical work that the development team needs several quest designers to consider it. As I concern, choices in the quests should actually make the player THINK. Think about what is the significance of each choice. Sometimes neither of the choices has perfect ending, so maybe we just prefer a 'least bad' one. The point is, the player should consider all he/she has done and decided in the game, making the decision that the Geralt in his/her mind would actually do. That is to say, the choices in the game are combined organically by being related to each other based on the player's style, which justifies the term 'open world'. It is tough design indeed, but it is also what we are looking forward to.

Hey i heard people in this forum ask for Geralt to be able to get married, have babies and build a house and work as a farmer... yep.

Well then he could as well move to Skyrim lol :D

But I don't think that spoiled immortal brats and souless wife are going to keep him for long there lol :D

Which is funny though cause I just realized that except among guards who apparently have twitter or skype to communicate in Skyrim after you have saved the world and became the leader of anything you could possibly be leader of(although you seem to give zero fuck about half of the guilds and you are Nord brute who can't even light the candle with his fire spell but despite that is head of mages guild but hey.....it' all about collecting titles almost like in Pokemon if only they have been displayed somewhere in journal but hey it's rocket science and it's not like it has been done before like in....Oblivion lol :D) and have divorced for third time and went to inn and tried to drunk yourself to oblivion only to discover that beer and other alcohol have as much impact on you as chamomile tea and also you neither had much luck with skooma cause apparently it was watered down like the rest of the game to the orange juice........you just commit suicide cause you see that average farmer or errand boy who works at Belathor and makes sure you remember that even when you turn 90 in your real life by constant repeating has as much impact as you on the world.

Skyrim in the nutshell:

Day 4th after you have killed your first dragon:

Some dragon circles the sky but apparently doesn't get landing permission from airport Whiterun tower and sooo....just goes away.

Amount of finished quests: 4

Titles (which even can't be seen and even if they could what's use of being arch-mage when apparenlty everyone still tells you that it would be good thing to pay visit to the place you are head of): 0

Day 378th after you have finished every damn quests from vanila plus DLCs and have became:

-Donald Trump of Skyrim by amount of owned properties (which are all occupied by house carls which are being prevented by bug to remember between 7pm and 7am that you are their dominus and insted greet you like some peasant with: I hope you don't plan anything ill or no trespassing in your own house -.- fus ro dah )

-Rothsshield by amount of gold which you can spend only by giving them to beggars who insted of buying new set of clothes go on and spend all money on booze and thus trigger inflation which in return enables you to open up Skyrim's FED and print money without backing in booze and ale as it used to be but insted out of thin air which oddly makes sense in Skyrim cause somewhere where nothing makes sense something that doesn't makes sense makes sense.Ok got a little bit carried away lol :D

-Supreme ruler of all guilds which had sooo mush memorable quest lines that sometimes when you get greeted by some guy from them you need to check finished quests list in your pathetic UI excuse of journal just to make sure it's not bug and that you have actually finished quest line for that guild because also dead and skinned dudes like Skjor have tendency to rise from the dead and drink ale at Jorrvaskr insted at Sovngard

-Chuck Noris of every damn skill from sneking to nucler fusion (oh wait that's another game :p)

Random dragon number 4567 (although you have killed their boss who was ressurecting them) circles around you and refuses to land.You just stop giving shit and use kill command in console cause all immersion has died with camp commanders of opposing faction in civil war just refusing to die despite everyone else from their faction dying including their leaders.

and so on and so on.......and you can just see how much I simply looove Skyrim...just like Dragon age 2.Also I started with Oblivion but even that was more complex and immersing than Skyrim.

Oh also don't forget making god damn dlcs exlusive to particilar console and even lying about only 2 of them being exclusive and than treating you fanbase like people with less than 2 brain cells and telling them that port to pc takes time (I'm talking about Dragonborn) because everyone knows that games are made on consoles.Let me not start with ps 3 and all kinds of bugs which are still present and on pc are solved (I measured) under 15 sec. by simple console command and dlc delay for them which lasted for over 8 months.

Sooooooo...........yeahhhh.Do not copy Skyrim and Bugthesda and Todd Casual Liar in any way except for the open world thing.

People don't want another Skyrim.They want Withcer 3.Not Skyrim 2.0.

And I'm confident that CD Projekt is hardly admiring Skyrim in anything except for their open world part and ability to just goof around.

Last edited:
This post is kinda late, since game is mostly done.. anyway I have full faith in CPR that they won't make this mistake, since game Director Konrad expressed something similar about Skyrim being generic and have no effect on your actions.. :)

What's up with this forum and the Skyrim bashing? Skyrim was, and still is, a feast for my eyes. From a technical point of a view, it is a far superior product than The Witcher games. Granted, Witcher surely has the unquestionable upper hand when it comes to narrative and story. Also, the developers themselves already said they were big fans of Skyrim and still play it all the time.

Anyhow, seeing as how both franchises are completely different, I see no reason to worry about Witcher 3. I'm pretty sure that focus on quality narrative will stay, as this is what rocketed this series in the first place. Both Witcher and Skyrim are completely different games, and both are great in their own way.

i think the skyrim bashing is a backlash against to the unjust praise that it got showered with. and it's not just this forum, but basically any place where skyrim is mentioned.

"fus ro dah" is the dumbest utterance in all of videogame history. "all your bases belongs to us" is shakespearean compared to it.

I will disagree with you on unjust praise. It's a magnificent sandbox experience, even moreso enhanced by modding, and it got all the praise it deserved.

Your first post on this forum was about defending Skyrim. Oh boy, you're in for a bumpy ride my friend.

Funny post, the only thing is Donald Trump inherited his wealth, he didn't work for it.

Yeah well I just needed some arrogant owner of hotels and mansions from real life and Trump fits perfactly lol. Didn't know he was like Paris Hilton and that he inherited everything.

What's up with this forum and the Skyrim bashing? Skyrim was, and still is, a feast for my eyes. From a technical point of a view, it is a far superior product than The Witcher games. Granted, Witcher surely has the unquestionable upper hand when it comes to narrative and story. Also, the developers themselves already said they were big fans of Skyrim and still play it all the time.

Anyhow, seeing as how both franchises are completely different, I see no reason to worry about Witcher 3. I'm pretty sure that focus on quality narrative will stay, as this is what rocketed this series in the first place. Both Witcher and Skyrim are completely different games, and both are great in their own way.

Well listen mate Skyrim is for me just good for messing around and nothing else and as it was said what most irritates people is ridiculous amount of praise this game gets when it was even build on heavily modified version of Gamebryo,the same engine which was used for Morrowind and Oblivion and when you have zero impact on world,can literally max to 100 every damn skill since 1.9 patch in one playthrough (that's not RPG) and practicaly have story which is on par with some Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with hur dur bad dragon and hur dur good dragon.Make choice: do one thing or do that same thing.

Also I can tottaly understand personal preferances but what you said about Skyrim and it's visuals is down right false and lie.Unless you have in mind heavily moded with ENB and tons of other mods installed but than it's not vanilla Skyrim but heavily modded Skyrim.And even it still is hardly better than Witcher 2 on ultra let alone Witcher 3.

Bugthesda didn't even bother to make or licence new engine unlike CD Projekt who made new one from scratch and yet everywhere game 'journalists' have been calling Creation engine new although it wasn't.

For the fuck sake you kill Emporer and he is like: Yeah.....I hate my life....kill me (emo Emporer -.- ) and no one could give LESS fuck.They even didn't bother to put few lines for npcs when civil war is over....they even didn't fix bugs on consoles (because on pc that's job of unpaid community since 2006) which literally take under one minute to fix on pc.They trolled people with spears in Dragonborn,they have Pete Douchebag Hines as head of PR (that alone is -100 in relationship for me),they made shady deals with Microsoft about exclusive content and stopped producing new ones when they saw that they can't lie to people any more,they continuesly make shitty ports to ps3 and they haven't learnt to program on it for over 7 years and list goes on and on.

And let me not forget the horse armor for Oblivion -.- .And you know what's really bad about it besides the fact that instead of putting in it as part of for example KoN dlc or free pacth like CD Projekt they charged 5 bucks for it ? The thing that fucking armor isn't even an armor.

Yes! They even didn't bother to assign some armor points to it in code so literally it was instead of way to prolong life of your ninja berserk horse who always enter into rage mode whether you are facing troll or dragon it was purely cosmetic.

And do you know how much time it took modders to assigne some additional protective points in db in mod kit provided by Bethesda themselves (the only good stuff they release) ? Less than an hour.The same thing is with patches.The unofficial ones fix like thousand of small and big bugs while 9 official left tons of them for the people on the consoles.

I mean can you imagine the amount of not giving a fuck that company has when modders found unused and perfactly completed animation and voice files for guards which enable them to great and salute you as Thane and tons of other voice files.Ahahahha their programmers don't even know what they have in code but in fact it's more likely that just Todd Howard doesn't give a fuck.

So....by Todd you can't have official horse armor dlc for Skyrim (mods have appeared over 1,5 year ago for that) either as part of patch or other big dlc like Dawnguard because he got offended when guys at e3 (who btw in every other regard licked his shoes ) joked about it. -.-

And you can bet that only thing which could force Todd Howard to make changes is Witcher 3's and Dragon Age's success (given that DA:I doesn't suck and is like origins or better and also yesterday was confirmed that for the first time you will be able to continue game after end in DA) but they have to be different than Skyrim in every possible way except for open world aspect.

Skyrim is Justin Bieber of RPGs.

Dragon Age is Bono or Nickleback.

Witcher is Guns n Roses or Queen.

*as far as I'm concerned :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom