I`m bloody annoyed!

+
I`m bloody annoyed!

I was having alot of fun with Withcer through the first part, it seemed fresh and entertaining in many ways. Even though the interface is clumsy as usual 1stPP games I wasnt even thinking of quitting.Since I am an experienced gamer I played on hard mode to avoid crusing thru things too quickly, and wasn`t having any problems with it. My only trouble was graphic crashes (something I found odd considering I have a 7600, close to the recommended sysreqs, and plenty of ram). This meant I had to play it windowed, and since the OTS mode is frustrating in combat (to put it mildly, it is useless since its not possible to properly target things.) I played the high isometric which wont let me scroll the screen in windowed mode.Despite this it was still allright, probably because things arent really hard so you get by with an interface that feels like you`re trying to fly a jumbojet with a rubberband while drunk.Then I came to the beast at the end of chapter one.....I have no idea whether or not this is a hard fight or not, mostly because most of my energies have been spent fighting the interface and the way the fight is made.I will explain.Firstly the fight takes place after a long dialogue sequence. You can save before you exit the cave, use the autosave when you exit the cave or hurry a save as soon as all the RP ends. If you do this however and there are no dogs close to you, and then reload this save you will enter surrounded by enemies and die.This makes it unusable meaning that before trying a rather challenging encounter you must sit thru all the dialogue and the ridiculous loading time on every single attempt. I have now seen this dialougue maybe 25 times and will trow the game out very soon.Secondly I have a Swallow pot which might be useful, in this fight, but if I use this in the cave the cutscene removes the effect (pro game design :p).Therefore the first thing I have to do after every single RP marathon is use this pot, which takes positively ages of time you dont have since the dogs close in on Abigail and kill her fast. After that theres another wait while the protagonist gets his sword out (something that is also really slow).After all this you will be lucky if Abigail is still alive. If she is the fun continues.As far as I know I have to kill the green adds first with group style, then focus on the boss with heavy attacks ( in my case)to have any chance of killing it.This depends on luck with the stuns from the boss; if it comes when the adds have just been summoned you are dead, unless you get a heal from Abigail by some miracle.This all sounds fine untill you discover that the last thing to usually happen in this fight is Abigail casting a heal on you 1 second after you die, it is systematic. After that its time for another 4 minute loading screen, more RP and more interface-sabotage again.Why you would ruin a perfectly good game with such a poor interface is beyond me and I am now really close to just throwing it away. This has nothing to do with the difficulty of the fight, it has to do with badly thought out save points before the fight and with a stoneage interface messing up anything you try to do.

The Beast is the boss fight of Chapter 1, so it's supposed to be on the hard side. There's a huge pile of advice for handling the Beast, including how to save, here: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2424.0.You might want to post in the Tech forum about your graphics crashes, since in full-screen mode, the controls don't feel clumsy; there might be a way to work around the problem.

Cingeto said:
My only trouble was graphic crashes (something I found odd considering I have a 7600, close to the recommended sysreqs, and plenty of ram).
read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed ( use the older version of PCWizard if you have problems with the newer one )do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder

Hello Cingeto!Sorry for my bad english, I'm French :wave:When I first met the Beast, I had the same problem! ;DWell, it's easier to defeat this boss if you have a meteoric sword (you need three meteoric stones so the blacksmith dwarf will forge you a better sword), but it's feasible with the normal one. You can try to use a blizzard elixir in order to accurate your reflex, and apply a special oil against spectre on your blade (if your character is able to prepare it...). If you're still in trouble, you can also drink an elixir of swallow (is that this name in english?), to recover your health faster.At the start of the battle, play pause and check the elixir you need in your inventory, because it's pretty hard to use it during the fight.Use group gtyle against green hellhounds, then use fast attacks against the Beast. If you need more details, don't hesitate to contact me!

Mutinate said:
This was an appalling design decision by the developers. Why they thought it might be "fun" for players to be confronted with this massive game-breaking road-block I have no idea. It just ruins the game for me, and makes me want to uninstall it because I no longer trust the judgement of those who made it.
so? :hmmm:

I'm just having a problem with starting every battle with my damn sword sheathed and having 1/4 th my health being taken away by enemies that take cheap shots at you. The battle is set up pretty badly. Sure it can be beaten, but they put you in a pretty crappy situation to begin with.

heretrix said:
I'm just having a problem with starting every battle with my damn sword sheathed and having 1/4 th my health being taken away by enemies that take cheap shots at you. The battle is set up pretty badly. Sure it can be beaten, but they put you in a pretty crappy situation to begin with.
I'm afraid this is not the right section of the forum for gameplay help; this is the section for tech help. If your game crashes when the Beast spawns, you come here; if he simply kills you, go here: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2424.0. There are lots of suggestions for strategies to make the Beast fight not only winable but a cakewalk.

Top Bottom