Will we have smartphones...

+
It's hard to say, considering we've been given virtually zero concrete information so far. My guess is we'll see whatever is in the 2020 rulebook... or at least some rendition of that.

The game is set 50 years after the PnP, so I wouldn't expect them to stick THAT rigidly to the rulebook as far as technology is concerned.

I'd suspect one of the things they're doing is looking at current tech and trying to extrapolate what sort of stuff we'll have in 2077, much like the original version looked at the early 80's and made it's best guesses. Will they be right? Of course not. But at the very least I expect to see anything you can buy at the store now in the game.

it will be easier and more retro/blade runner esque if the OS was dos level stuff like this:

As much fun as it is, I don't think the retro-futuristic style of the 80s would be fitting for the direction this game seems to be going in.

We-elll..they have mentioned aiming squarely at the 80s vibe.

I think that's a good decision, both thematically and in order to set the game apart from just another "future shooter".

We-elll..they have mentioned aiming squarely at the 80s vibe.

I think that's a good decision, both thematically and in order to set the game apart from just another "future shooter".

Where did they say this? In their interview with Will Wheaton they were quite clear they weren't tapping into nostalgia. I don't want any 80's vibe in the game. I'm not sure I need to see cell phones as a game mechanic either. It would feel dated to me.

Last edited:
Where did they say this? In their interview with Will Wheaton they were quite clear they weren't tapping into nostalgia. I don't want any 80's vibe in the game. I'm not sure I need to see cell phones as a game mechanic either. It would feel dated to me.

I'll see if I can find it. For you, babyliciousness.

Still haven't found it, but in my defense, several of the sites the FAQ and Known Features threads link to have gone articles now.

I thought for -sure- they talked about the 80s style, re: Swaggy's jacket, for example.

Last edited:
I'll see if I can find it. For you, babyliciousness.

Still haven't found it, but in my defense, several of the sites the FAQ and Known Features threads link to have gone articles now.

I thought for -sure- they talked about the 80s style, re: Swaggy's jacket, for example.

You can't find it, cause it doesn't exist. There will be no 80s for you!

You can't find it, cause it doesn't exist. There will be no 80s for you!

::cry::

Did you not see that jacket!? Very 80s!

Of course..they did kill him off by the trailer...I'm sure that's just a coincidence!

Okay, tell me you wouldn't like to see more of this:

this:

and of course, this:

And why not mixed with a lil of this?
I hope Cyberpunk 2077 will find the right middle between 80's and modern aesthetic, so it have it's own style, more than being a copy/paste of other stuffs.

Maybe just a sprinkle of 80s. A tiny little bit. I want the game to be forward looking, not retro. There was the interview where they mentioned cyberpunk was fresh when it first came out and they wanted their take to be the same.

Well. Fresh....in terms of PnP. A decade old, at least, otherwise. Since Neuromancer and Blade Runner, earlier if you count Metrpolis or half Dick's stuff.

By the time 2020 came out, many of us were well immersed. It was also the end of the 80s.

Not sure why I'm even pushing at this - I guess I'm not really. I never saw Cyberpunk as 80s focussed. Never. Sure, the tech was 80-90s in some cases, but what SO MANTY people don't seem to notice, is that 2020 had cigarette-pack-sized cellphones, called Mini cell Phones. None of our characters used the bigger older models in-game.

So I never really got the 80s "vibe".

So I never really got the 80s "vibe".

The 80's had a "vibe"?
I suppose they did but nothing as intense as the 50's, 60's, 70's, or 90's.
((I look at pictures of myself from the 60's and 70's and seriously question my own sanity at the time considering how I dressed))

I have to agree I never noticed anything that made Cyberpunk feel "retro".

I think Slimgrin mean something less "Blade Runner", and more "Ghost In The Shell" / "Akira" / "Dredd" about the art-style.
Like, look at Johnny Silverhand's sketch in the book:

He looks really "80/early90's glam rock", etc... I mean, that song would totaly fit with the picture
But yes, remove the art and you have something still "actual" and ahead of our time on some level.
You can even play Cyberpunk 2020 imagining it looks like this (and that's what I do):

Honnestly, by the look of the few concept art we have, the trailer, etc... I'm pretty (very-very-very-get a boner?) happy from the artistic direction the game seems to take, it look just beautifull, lots of color, very stylish.
Give me an interface plug, some trodes and I'm ready to jack in ♥

Last edited:
The 80's had a "vibe"?
I suppose they did but nothing as intense as the 50's, 60's, 70's, or 90's.
((I look at pictures of myself from the 60's and 70's and seriously question my own sanity at the time considering how I dressed))

I have to agree I never noticed anything that made Cyberpunk feel "retro".

Of course the 80s had a vibe.

Arnold Schwarzemegger,

Sykvester Stallone.

Ronald Reagan.

spandex

Rambo.

Die Hard.

Chuck Norris.

Fear of Japan

The Soviet Union

Gordon gekko.

Top Bottom