Announcing Gwent and bolstering Xbox One Collector’s Edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

+
You guys got the timing wrong, shouldn't have realized this when everyone was looking forward to updates from Gamescom.
Updates will still flow and this little stain will slowly start fading away, although not entirely, that's certain.

One thing is absolutely clear, and don't anyone fall into denial over this by assuming it simply gamer over-reaction: This is a Total PR Disaster, and by far the worst in a year of dubious PR decisions.

It is very difficult to reconcile Marcin Iwinskis words "We are treating all gamers equally", with this new direction, and a new direction it undoubtedly is, which is why people feel so irate. The relationship with fans, the trust in future statements, and the image of CDPRED is certainly damaged.

Seems a lot like the little birdie is flying towards the open, enticing, smothering door of the golden cage. Perhaps the impression the new logo gives that its blown its own brains out with a shotgun was portentous after all.

You really don't have to insult other people or make fun of them just because you don't understand their motivations or you don't share their feelings.

I really wish people understand it...
I also wish people who don't buy collector's editions just stop saying that's not an issue... it's an issue for collectors. Do you people not understand what the word "collector" means?

I really wish people understand it...
I also wish people who don't buy collector's editions just stop saying that's not an issue... it's an issue for collectors. Do you people not understand what the word "collector" means?
Yes i know , i was MtG "collector" from early 90' to 2001.I have PC CE pre-ordered.Still i dont change my mind about CDPR after this.CDPR still stands out compared to other devs.

It is very difficult to reconcile Marcin Iwinskis words "We are treating all gamers equally", with this new direction, and a new direction it undoubtedly is, which is why people feel so irate.

Well, it is if you just play the exact language lawyer about how he only meant in-game content and ignore the fact that keeping this under wraps until the vast majority of pre-orders were in and CEs are almost completely sold out for all platforms is kinda shady.

Last edited:
To Marcin:

We didn't know about the other physical preorder bonuses, that is why you haven't heard anything.

By the defense of your position, you destroyed nearly 1/2 of the reputation you took 10 years to build for yourself. Next time you claim to boast your concern for the player base, it will be checked to your defense here.

As i said previously, your actions made your reputation. Here, your actions (and defense of them) are sending a clear message you're making these things not completely for the players and fans now. This is real action.

Well you are a listed company i guess, ethics, morals and players be damned when microsoft are standing there with millions of dollars.... Your shareholders should be pissed off as the xbox must be your smallest user base. And i can also wait for $7 on steam instead of a $200 collectors edition (there's really no point to pay full price for just a normal box).

Last edited:
The original post has been updated with Marcin Iwiński's statement regarding the whole situation.

Thank you, this brings clarity to the whole situation.

It's truly amazing how fast an incident can fire along on the Web :)
I'm sure CDPR understand how much their fans love their work, but thanks to many disreputable companies out there (not saying Trion or EA) most gamers tend to see the industry negatively. Normally CDPR mention when a package is different, an why. An example would be the prices changed on GoG for EU, US, and AU pre-orders of TW3, it was made very clear why there was a difference.

What I'm trying to say is; Your fans didn't mean insult, we love your work and we love your ethics, just some few fans need to be smacked across the ass a few times to remind them of their manners. If it helps I'll pre-order an extra few copies of TW3 and give them away on GoG.

Well my respect for CD Projekt just went down the toilet.

Seriously, guys? What happened to all that "we won't offer any platform exclusives because that does against our values" that you claimed only 3 months ago?

Microsoft shows up with a big sack of money and all that changes I guess.

Respect gone. CD Projekt are just another name to add to the growing list of lying developers with no integrity these days who will sell out if the offer is good enough.

One of the reasons I have liked and supported you guys so much, the reasons I have both The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk on pre-order at the moment, is because you were better than this and didn't pull this crap. I supported you because of your "No DRM" policies and what you said about making content fully available to all on all platforms without arbitrary restrictions. Now you can't even live up to that it seems.

And the thing is, while this may seem like "small potatoes" to many of you l, and even CD Projekt themselves, I've seen too many instances like this before with other developers be the start of a very slippery slope downhill in terms of quality, integrity and honesty. I remember small signs like this popping up in a certain famous RPG developer shortly after it was purchased by a large publisher for example, and despite claims from staff that it was an overreaction, within only a few more years said RPG developer was dancing fully to the tune of their masters and were pretty much completely infested with corporate disease.

CD Projekt have essentially put themselves on a very high moral horse, and to suddenly turn around and do this only a few months after making all these grandiose statements about all platforms being treated equally, it's a very bitter pill to swallow. Even if one considers the fact that CD Projekt haven't broken their word as such because all in-game content is still non-exclusive and available to all platforms, using technicalities and execu-speak like this to get around it comes across as a tactic that CD Projekt, quite frankly, should be above considering their apparent "value system" they claimed to have.

It would seem that nobody, not even the high and mighty CDPR are above ... being bought. The so-called ''gamers developer'' suddenly sheds their reputation.

True colours shown.

You should be carefull with that kind of reasoning. This way of thinking justifies anything. Cut DLC, microstransactions, ...

Which is more important?

1. [Insert developer] getting more money to make their games better?
2. Some simple extra DLC on day 1.
3. Microtransactions.
4. Disc Locked Content.
5. Difficulty setting you have to pay extra for.
6. Making a game permanently exclusive to a platform.
7. Timed platform exclusivity.
8. I could go on and on.

Last edited:
It would seem that nobody, not even the high and mighty CDPR are above ... being bought. The so-called ''gamers developer'' suddenly sheds their reputation.

True colours shown.

Yeah. And to microsoft out of all people, the losing team. Geez sure people are young, and 10 years of goodwill can be rebuilt in another 10 years, but i would have chosen another company, maybe nvidia, or even sony to fall on my sword with. Microsoft, really?

Have any xbox one owners said their thanks in this tread? That's because they aren't any. There's probably a moral to the story here. Do bad things and bad things will come of it.

Yeah. And to microsoft out of all people, the losing team. Geez sure people are young, and 10 years of goodwill can be rebuilt in another 10 years, but i would have chosen another company, maybe nvidia, or even sony to fall on my sword with. Microsoft, really?

Have any xbox one owners said their thanks in this tread? That's because they aren't any. There's probably a moral to the story here. Do bad things and bad things will come of it.

Take a look at the complete and utter PR meltdown with the Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity disaster. And CD and SE had a really great thing going with the first iteration of their rebooted series.

And then they jumped from the frying pan and into the fire.

What i really want to know though... is the answer to one simple question - What did they THINK was going to happen after they jumped into bed with Microsoft regardless of how much $$$ they threw at them? Did CDPR honestly just assume ''oh its ok, everyone loves XB1 and Microsoft, they will forgive us or just plain ignore the betrayal on the spot''. In the end, you cant play the knight in shining armour, and then go set fire to someone's house. You either live on the good side, or ... well you dont.

It is like working for RSPCA or equivalent and then leaving your dog in the hot car. You INSTANTLY lose all your respect in one stupid foolish act.

"1.CDPR getting more money to make their games better?"
Where does the idea "more money = better games" come from? Now I understand why some developers boat about the development costs of their games, if it makes it better for some people... GTAV is the best game ever made then.

Take a look at the complete and utter PR meltdown with the Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity disaster. And CD and SE had a really great thing going with the first iteration of their rebooted series.

It is? I never cared about Tomb Raider so I didn't pay attention. But from what I know of people, when it comes out to PS4 and PC people will still buy it and enjoy it.

What CDPR did is not good, but it's still meaningless compared to big publishers (and CDP is big) so we shouldn't say that they turned into another one of them. They still have no paid DLC which nobody else practices , and Ubisoft just put microtransactions in their games. So it's not good, but don't blow it out of proportions, you don't really want CDPR to turn into another AAA publisher.

It seems PR dept. lost relation to public and the virus is spreading ;)

Top Bottom