Interviews and Articles Part 2

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree. He contradicts himself in almost every paragraph and complains about too much dialog and the fact you kill stuff. A poorly written article in general. RPS is known for their hostility to CDPR, I'm surprised he didn't throw a sexism charge in there as well.
No, he complains that there is nothing more to do in quests than dialogue and combat.

RPS is known for their hostility to CDPR

That's bull.

I don't agree. He contradicts himself in almost every paragraph and complains about too much dialog and the fact you kill stuff. A poorly written article in general. RPS is known for their hostility to CDPR, I'm surprised he didn't throw a sexism charge in there as well.
He must be into FPS GAMES.
Red was not going to spoil the game just to show this one guy some unique footage, I hope Red proves him wrong, he needs to eat his words with some pie like he said.

He must be into FPS GAMES.
Red was not going to spoil the game just to show this one guy some unique footage, I hope Red proves him wrong, he needs to eat his words with some pie like he said.
What was the point of the footage shown? Yea, the graphics and the world are good enough, though not dynamic, but he says that the questing leaves a lot to be desired. Now, this is a concern that has been raised by quite a few journalists, that all the quest were little more than glorified fetch quests with lots of exposition.

No, it's not. RPS has a long history of a condescending, disdainful tone towards CDPR as a developer from a different cultural background daring not to share RPS' progressive views and political correctness.

Would you please provide some sources for that? I have read three articles on TW3 and while they weren't glorifying the game like many other media critics do, they seem to be pretty objective and do not hold back praise where they feel it's earned.

Apply that to every developer that doesn't share their view. A view might I add that suddenly surged around the end 2012 when they started trumpeting their women this women that every few hours in a new article although that was almost every "videogame journalism" website at that time. I stopped reading RPS then, didn't want their agenda, never looked back.

Would you please provide some sources for that? I have read three articles on TW3 and while they weren't glorifying the game like many other media critics do, they seem to be pretty objective and do not hold back praise where they feel it's earned.

You need to go deeper, back to their articles on TW2, Cyberpunk etc. You will soon get this "oh, they're this obscure and backward developer from Eeastern Europe" vibe when you read between the lines.

Jupiter_on_Mars

No, it's not. RPS has a long history of a condescending, disdainful tone towards CDPR as a developer from a different cultural background daring not to share RPS' progressive views and political correctness.

Which is irrelevant since hardly any of that surfaced here. I don't quite see the point in reminiscing when at present there's a piece that's mostly exempt of all those flaws. In fact, its overall tone is of praise, tempered with more than reasonable concerns.

It's not fair to begrudge the author of this particular article just because of the media outpost he happens to be posting in.

Anyway:

Last edited:
Which is irrelevant since hardly any of that surfaced here. I don't quite see the point in reminiscing when at present there's a piece that's mostly exempt of all those flaws. In fact, its overall tone is of praise, tempered with more than reasonable concerns.

It's not fair to begrudge the author of this particular article just because of the media outpost he happens to be posting in.

And I don't see the point in reminiscing about sex cards when at present the game is exempt of those flaws.

My reply was not aimed at particular author and particular article, nor was the part of the post I quoted. They were rather general.

And I agree about the latest article, it has some reasonable concerns in it and is balanced.

Last edited:
No, that was just one of them being an ass, he's left RPS now. You can read up on their review for Witcher 2 if you have any doubts.

I don't understand why people are bothered by the RPS article. Sure, the guy writing doesn't seem to have any idea of what he is talking about, but the points he raises are valid and have also become a major concern for me. Cd has talked about a dynamic open world and we have seen nothing of the kind in the demos shown until now. Also, there doesn't seem to be any kind of non combat quests, as W1 had, judging by what we've seen, which will be a major disappointment.

What we have seen is fights and fetch quests, plus a weirdly fat mouth on Geralt which doesn't work. I have talked again about the amateurish marketing of CD, but it has started to feel like the game is mainly comprised of battle quests and fetch mechanics.

A few things about the RPS article:
Why does he have to bring the sex cards up again? Were they in TW2? No, will they be in TW3? Also no. Stop using that example because it's not relevant anymore.

Apparently the guy knows that Novigrad will not be a big dynamic living city by just walking through one street for one quest. Even his comparison to AC I find absurd. What does the game have to do then if Geralt walks into a npc? Walk right through them or keep the walking animation playing while Geralt is stuck against an npc? Isn't normal that he would push them aside, like many other games beside AC have done.

His complaints about to much dialog seems weird because he also says there is to much combat... In an RPG. And is he really complaining about the accents? Weren't those part of the last 2 games already?

Atleast he admits that he is judging the presentation and not the game (yet). Which is why I believe his reasoning behind the freedom of choice part at the end of the article.

He was writing, if I am not mistaken, about a dynamic world, not the city. Either way, his point stands. We haven't seen anything that backs up the claims of a dynamic world. It is the job of CD to show us that with the demos, since it's the biggest change in the game.

About the NPCs he merely mentions somethig like that to show that there is no actual interaction with them and that it feels shallow like the AC games. Again, it's CD's job to show us otherwise, especially when we are talking about a living, breathing, city.

What interaction could there possibly be with every NPC in the world? That's just foolish and has nothing to do with Witcher 3, no game can or will ever do anything about it.

Talking to them and asking them simple stuff? Most western RPGs do it, so I don't know what you mean. Skyrim allows interaction with everyone. If you like it or not, that is another issue.

But my main problem is that we haven't seen anything about a dynamic world or some quests that allow anything else other than battle, like some emergent behaviour. These are the things CD should be showing.

Talking to them and asking them simple stuff? Most western RPGs do it, so I don't know what you mean. Skyrim allows interaction with everyone. If you like it or not, that is another issue.

But my main problem is that we haven't seen anything about a dynamic world or some quests that allow anything else other than battle, like some emergent behaviour.

So would you rather have Novigrad to have 20 wooden people in it like Skyrim so you can talk to them without accomplishing anything? Why would random people stop and chat with you, Geralt is an outcast.

That's why I said it's something you like or you don't.

The main point of the RPS article still remains. We have seen nothing of a dynamic, living world or quests that involve anything else than battle, like some kind of emergent behaviour.

Longtime TES player here and no. There are some NPCs relevant to quests but others just utter generic one-liners and move along that is not interaction and what mico said, common people are often scared of Witchers or spit on them for being freaks.

Hell, even in TW2 they'd do what your TES example speaks of, stand around a bit and people talk to each other or utter a line towards you.

Few I can recall:
"Say something... or did you just fart?"
"Any advice from a veteran?"

And not to forget the number of NPCs in skyrim is very low.

Last edited:
So would you rather have Novigrad to have 20 wooden people in it like Skyrim so you can talk to them without accomplishing anything? Why would random people stop and chat with you, Geralt is an outcast.

"I used to be a witcher like you, but then I took an Igni to the knee."

Levity aside, people do talk to Geralt in the books all the time. Many have no idea he's even a witcher unless he tells them, because in the books, he doesn't have glowy yellow eyes and his pupils aren't constantly stuck in cat-mode, and not everyone knows what a sword on the back and a weird medallion means. He's just a somewhat strange dude with odd hair.

Last edited:
"I used to be a witcher like you, but then I took an Igni to the knee."

Levity aside, people do talk to Geralt in the books all the time. Many have no idea he's even a witcher unless he tells them, because in the books, he doesn't have glowy yellow eyes and his pupils aren't constantly stuck in cat-mode, and not everyone knows what a sword on the back and a weird medallion means. He's just a somewhat strange dude with odd hair.

You sure about that? In the short story something more where he is at a village celebration, a girl avoids him because of his eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom