Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

+

Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

• Total voters
Isn't Arthur Chu that guy who was a white supremacist and then turned SJW or whatever? Or is that someone else? I think I am thinking of someone else. I know there was some asian guy involved in GG that used to be a white supremacist.

Last edited:
Interviews should focus more on industry practices than this highschool drama Twitter shit. That includes both AAA and indie. It would be nice to hear more academics like Summers who've been battling this nonsense for years. It's grown out of our university system and should be discussed. I haven't followed how the sci-fi scene has been swarmed, anyone with insight on that, please share.

-edit for clarity.

Last edited:
I do agree GG should be focused more on industry practices than this highschool drama Twitter shit. That includes both AAA and indie.
Yeah, I think it's hard for the people on twitter to turn the focus around when people are going on national TV spouting crap though. They keep taking the bait and focusing on people they shouldn't, but at the same time I think the bait is hard not to take when it's on national TV. If any of that makes sense

Edit: As for your edit I agree too with the interview bit

Last edited:

[video=youtube;-P6PYlWEwek]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6PYlWEwek[/video]
Wow... just read the tweets in this video.

http://www.crimeandfederalism.com/2014/11/how-a-hoaxer-becomes-an-informant-hypothetical.html

https://twitter.com/PlayDangerously/status/529851243888263169

https://twitter.com/Kingofpol/status/529842131989704704/photo/1

:rofl: Divorced from reality enough?

Last edited:
Isn't Arthur Chu that guy who was a white supremacist and then turned SJW or whatever? Or is that someone else? I think I am thinking of someone else. I know there was some asian guy involved in GG that used to be a white supremacist.
No, that's Ian Miles Cheong.

I agree with slim, the Twitter nonsense is just a distraction. It was a mistake even having Chu on his show. The guy obviously had nothing to say. But it's still hilarious that the anti-GG can't help themselves but to burn down neutral and even sympathetic observers. GG has done this also, to an extent, but the hysterical insistence that GG is a harassment terror movement causes them to be unbalanced. Par for the course for radical feminists, of course.

That Chu bloke comes off as a raving fucking nutter, and a self righteous tool.

On the subject of Gamergate focusing more on AAA companies, that's supposedly the job of the media, except they're unfit for purpose. We all know that EA and Activision etcetera are out for our cash, we expect it as they're a business whose bottom line is profit. The gaming media is supposed to represent us, be consumer advocates and monitor the industry impartially, that is their purpose. Only one of these has betrayed their user base, and spat upon their customers, and it's not the publishers. That's a really weak argument from Chu, saying Gamergate should now shift its focus on to big publishers, as I recall they're not the ones awarding mediocre or bad games perfect scores for the last twenty years, that's been the journalists.

Last edited:
Well gamers have always been critical of big publishers, so he's full of shit on that. It also fits into the SJW patriarchy nonsense to target the big guys. I'm mostly concerned with how creative media reaches an audience and any favoritism/nepotism involved therein. Reason being I've seen it my whole life in the art world - hell, that's the story of art history, a depressing fact. Fortunately indie devs have an easier time getting a game out than ever before, in spite of channels like the IGF and their shenanigans.

Lot's of rumblings on Twitter about the feds being involved, it may be they've got hard evidence. Wonder what the penalty is for sending yourself death threats.

Last edited:
Well gamers have always been critical of big publishers, so he's full of shit on that. It also fits into the SJW patriarchy nonsense to target the big guys. I'm mostly concerned with how creative media reaches an audience and any favoritism/nepotism involved therein. Reason being I've seen it my whole life in the art world - hell, that's the story of art history, a depressing fact. Fortunately indie devs have an easier time getting a game out than ever before, in spite of channels like the IGF and their shenanigans.

Lot's of rumblings on Twitter about the feds being involved, it may be they've got hard evidence. Wonder what the penalty is for sending yourself death threats.

Not a great deal:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/womens-rights-activist-charged-with-rape-threat-hoax-on-face

Though our favorite SJW trifecta took it much further, so who knows. I find it amusing that Anita Sarkeesian is the top result on Google when I typed in "Girl fakes death threats".

Last edited:
@Docttj yeah 15412 blocked users... and it gets updates daily.

Good to know that I don't have to say a word to someone to be blocked by them. :rofl:

Last edited:
I wonder if the thought has ever even crossed their minds that they're playing right into our hands with all this censorship and denying free speech, strange how the self righteous think they can do no wrong. Reminds me of something John Cleese talked about years ago.

@Unkindled I found out that it autoblock you if you follow even one of pro-GG "leaders".

Btw some neutral guys are "pro-GG leaders" for them.

Ah k. I saw it said "auto gg block" at the top, but I know there's more than 15000 of us on Twitter, and especially more than that using the hash tag obviously. So I knew they were going off of something, but just not sure what.

Yeah over 15000 misogynists are there...

And behold the creator of this miracle

[yeah know I posted it already... but I didn't knew that she was talking abouth her blocklist]

[video]https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/a-response-to-yts-senior-curator-re-gamergate[/video]

Last edited:

Well @gregski now it is relevant .... Because this stupid woman just used it to validate death threats on her. Why? Because 4chan *livid* :facepalm:

Last edited:
I just finished watching Pakman's interview with Chu and it was a frustrating experience on one hand, and a delightful on the other. Frustrating, to me personally, due to Chu's stance on free speech, or lack thereof, and his "trigger-happy" attitude in limiting it, severely, based on very loose definitions of what constitutes as hurting other people. "You are acting as if this is a debate of two sides"? What "progressive" individual hears such a statement and doesn't feel there is something shockingly twisted about it? Also, in the specific context of Pakman's show... TotalBiscuit and Milo are an "angry mob"? And this is just the tip of the iceberg in Arthur's very irrational claims.

If Chu is a lesson in how to not participate in a debate and what is a very poor structure for an argument, Pakman is the opposite. I'm introduced to him only through GamerGate context and in each of the four interviews of his I've seen, he utterly impressed me. In his calm, his common sense, his level headedness, his professionalism, in his willingness to correct himself, to challenge those interviewed... and the list of his virtues goes on and on. I'm subscribing to his channel because he's a prime example of critical thinking and openness. He himself calls himself a progressive but he doesn't let that label automatically position him in this or that side of the barricade.

Edit: I'm not fond of using the term "progressive". It in itself is very biased. Most people don't like to think of themselves as the antonym, and they don't hold medieval ideals. Somehow a certain side adopted that headline for themselves, however, and - like sexism and misogyny - it's also being stripped of its meaning in recent months.

Edit 2: Do I have a crush on Pakman?
:wat:

Last edited:
Looks to me like she just wants to block any GamerGate discussion, pro or anti or neutral, which is totally fair. I give a last crap if someone blocks me and to me that's not censorship. Their feed, their rules.

Top Bottom