Lykaon

+
Agree with Tranzr, I will surely make time for it even after TW3. But I know how work in RedKit can be frustrating and I totally can relate that you don't have mood for it after X hours working on TW3.

I agree with Red0oG, the witcher 2 have a permanent residence in my computer. when Lycon will be finished I'm defiantly going to install it.

Unfortunately I did not have time to work on Lykaon for many months now, so I don't know what I will do with it. Right now my priority is to work hard on The Witcher 3 so it will be the best experience ever :)
Are you still working on W3? :) I'm curious if the Lykaon will see the daylight...

I am already working on the expansions right now, so unfortunately I don't really have time to work on Lykaon. I also think that after the release of Wild Hunt, the demand for a W2 mod won't be too high. ;) I might at one point just release the editor version of a wip build so people who are curious can have a look at it.

However, some quest ideas I originally had for Lykaon actually made it into the game (and there will be one in an expansion), so you already can play a small part of the mod without even knowing. :D

I am already working on the expansions right now, so unfortunately I don't really have time to work on Lykaon. I also think that after the release of Wild Hunt, the demand for a W2 mod won't be too high. ;) I might at one point just release the editor version of a wip build so people who are curious can have a look at it.

However, some quest ideas I originally had for Lykaon actually made it into the game (and there will be one in an expansion), so you already can play a small part of the mod without even knowing. :D

The demand is for REDkit 2...that is. a full editor for TW3. That's what the demand is. :)

I see... nevertheless it's a bit shame to throw away all the work that has been done so far by you and other people (vocals etc). I'm sure plenty of people would play lykaon sooner or later (after finishing W3). I guess there are persons with old PCs that won't play W3 anytime soon. Sure the demand is not so great as let's say a year ago, but imo the finished mod would still be greatly appreciated.
Good luck in your works.

Lykaon: Editor Version

Since I don't really have the time to finish Lykaon, I decided to upload the editor version of it. Anyone who is curious about it can check it out! If you want to use it as a base for your own mod or if you want to make a playable version out of it, please feel free to do so!

There are a few things however that you will have to consider:

1. I cut content out of this version. Some ideas and quests I had for Lykaon were used in W3 and some ideas might even be in further installments. This is why I decided to cut them out of this version.

2. This is a "work in progress"-version, so please don't think you can just easily play it. I did not have the time to polish it up for an actual "play-release", so parts of the level or quest are missing, because I was just about to work on them (climbing up to the trolls swamp as an example is impossible right now, because the cliff is missing).

3. Many assets are unfinished, don't work or are simply placeholders I made so I can actually see something during development. However, they are not meant to be final in any way.

If you load all available layers, the level will show everything that could be shown at any part of the game, which will make it look like a mess. I made a few quick screenshots of the layers I have usually loaded:

This is the default environment of Lykaon:

If you want to visit the "rat country", you should load the following layer. You will then also have a new rat country environment:

If you intend to check out the quest file, please don't take it as a good example of how to do things. When it was created, I basically had to learn Redkit and how to do a quest to begin with, so it is very unoptimized and the structure is very much a mess. Same goes for the layers ;)

File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fgaiz6iq9zyk45h/Lykaon.zip?dl=0

Unfortunately I won't be able to provide a lot of technical support. Despite not having a lot of time, I also simply forgot a lot in the two years since I really worked on the mod. However, I will of course try to do my best. Have fun!

@Benzenzimmern: Can you please ask responsible people in CDPR, how exactly can one use REDkit mods on Linux? I asked VirtualProgramming who worked on the Linux port of TW2, and they said they have no idea, and I guess it was never discussed between them and CDPR. As far as I understand, on Windows REDkit provides modified binaries, which allow selecting adventures in the launcher. On Linux that's missing, so besides some automatically picked up mods, REDkit based adventures can't be launched as far as I know. Or there is a way to do it? If you can clarify it, it would be very helpful. Thanks!

hi @Benzenzimmern
i know this is not the right place but you might can help me sense you got expirience.
i wont to make a mood myself via the redkit , but after the installtation the luncher of witcher 2 does not show up , you know how to fix this ?

Last edited:
Hello @Benzenzimmern, and all other people who might help,
I downloaded your impressive file (of 1.24 Gb) unpacked, but the problem is I can't load all stuff or all the stuff I expected to be found. There is for example no Lykaon town and no smallvillage or the harpy layer. I don't know what could cause the problem, you (Benzenzimmern) wrote that you cut some stuff, but i expected, just quest files an nothing from the world files. Don't misunderstand me, I am more than thankfull for getting a view into your worldfile, but I would be much happier seeing all the content you created with your hard work :D even if it is some big mess. So my question is, could I have done something wrong, or is my Red Kit version to old? Have other users of this file faced the same problem?
Best regards
Nemo

Edited:
After loading the outro level of the Red Kit miracolusly stuff apeared in Lykaon, wich I did not see the first time. Now it is mor like I wanted, or hoped it will be. Thank you very much a second time, for all that crayzy stuff I like the moving watermill paddle the most.

Last edited:
Thank you @Benzenzimmern so much for releasing your assets/environments. It will be interesting to see your work! Will we ever find out how to get meshes/textures from TW1 to the REDkit, though? I have figured out how to export the models into blender but I am a bit of a noob when it comes to modeling/rigging etc. A tutorial on how you got the Fleder, Noonwraith, and the rest into the game would be awesome! Though I understand if the tools simply aren't available in the current edition of the REDkit.

This thread played out, for me, like an epic movie.

I started reading it three hours ago. For the first few pages, I was thinking "Man, this looks like a pretty cool little addition to the game.". As I progressed through the thread, I realized "Holy smokes. This isn't so little at all. It's a full blown expansion!". About half-way through, the plot thickened; progress was slowing, and there was a ton of work to do. By then, I was hooked. Will he be able to beat TW3's launch? Right after what appeared to be the three-quarters mark, I started noticing gaps between Benz's posts that seemed to be getting larger and larger. "Will our hero make it?!", I asked myself.

Flash-forward two years. No, he did not make it. This movie had a sad ending. But, then, the ending suddenly became bitter-sweet: it was revealed that parts of Lykaon were added to TW3. So, happy-face!

It was pretty damn cool seeing you get hired, and work on this amazing expansion, Benz. Thank you for entertaining me for a few hours. :D

Even if you never release a completed Lykaon, I wish you the best at C.D.P.R., and in life.

Top Bottom