Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
This is eerily familiar.... LOL.

Bioware isn't dead. I hate the problems that came from the lazy PC port, but Bioware's certainly not dead. DA I is an awesome game despite console port related issues.

So, let's state the flaws which are not coming from the lazy PC alone (which indeed is one of the biggest flaws of the game -> maybe I'm also just spoilt by "good game design" on PC, who knows...):

• boring, tedious action combat, especially for melee characters (there is no real skill involved, it's just simple plain button-mashing)
  • incredibly tedious tactical combat with a more or less useless tactical perspective
  • dumbed down tactical options for companions
  • dumbed down RPG mechanics (like not being able to decide on stats yourself)
  • pointless party system since you usually just let the AI control your companions (since tac cam is a chore in itself)
  • overpowered generic crafting system which involves tedious ingredient collection basically all the time and which involves constant tedious micromanagement
  • a badly designed inventory (which makes stuff like crafting even more tedious but also just normal navigation)
  • dumbed down dialogues with almost no moral or hard decisions involved (there is not even one morally "grey area" tackled in the game)
  • romances are (despite the promises) not more sophisticated or more lifelike than in previous games (virtual sex requires some flirting here and there and a 10 minutes fetch quest...)
  • the main hero ist just flat without having any special character
  • incredibly bad story pacing (thanks to open world design and bad narrative staging -> core strength of Bioware games lost)
  • decisions have almost no bigger consequences (the outcome doesn't change no matter what you do, bad choices or good choices don't pay off in any way)
  • boring, dumbed down skills, almost completely giving up passive or defensive magical powers, everyone is just a damage dealer
  • pointless skyhold upgrade system with no implications for the game
  • pointless, boring "war table" mechanics with no implications for the game (reminds a lot of stupid tablet "companion apps" for other games like Assassin's Creed)
  • a lot of quests are just plain, simple, boring fetch quests
  • open world regions are "mathematically" designed as areas of stuff in which stuff is statistically located: a camp here, a landmark there, an enemy fortress there (there is almost no sense of natural, homogenic exploration, it's all designed for the purpose of working down a list of stuff to do instead of just visiting a place)

Dragon Age Inquisition is indeed a lot like Skyrim, but only by copying its bad parts. By copying stuff from Assassin's Creed, Skyrim and MMOs Bioware achieved to ruin their own strengths, new and old: proper storytelling with tension and proper staging (like in Mass Effect), moral decisions that have weight (Mass Effect again), a sophisticated main character on whos character you can decide for yourself (almost any previous Bioware game), proper RPG mechanics (BG2, Kotor,...), good and engaging group combat (BG2, Kotor,...) and so on. And for what? For making the next generic MMO-like open world RPG? Skyrim at least was made with sandbox in mind, giving people the option to just forget the story and "tell their own stories". DAI doesn't do that. It's still a kind of story-driven game...

For me Dragon Age Inquisition is a game which you continue to play waiting for better stuff to happen (much like Skyrim if your refuse to tell your own stories). "Hm, maybe if I get there a cool quest will finally appear or something cool will happen." Problem is: that almost never happens. You really put dozens of hours in a game that rarely steps out of pure mediocrity. There are a few highlights, like some main quests and some character interactions that are well narrated, but that's about it. The rest is generic, Skyrim-like mediocre running around and slaying generic enemies. Of course the world is beautiful with nice, shiny graphics. But that doesn't define a good gaming experience for me. Tbh in the case of DAI the graphics at least make some of the content bearable. Without the shiny graphics the many flaws of Dragon Age Inquisition would be even that much more obvious...

Short: DAI is a game made for the absolute mainstream, trying to copying all the alleged current trends in gaming. Opposite to previous Bioware games the game doesn't stand out in any possible element anymore. As a game made for the biggest possible audience it's a game that lacks heart and soul and any kind of focus in design. It's a game that tries so hard to be inclusive as possible that it forgets that you need focus and often self-limitation to craft a remarkable experience. Just adding "more" without looking at the bigger picture isn't the path to glory, it's the path to mediocrity. And that what's happend here. And that's why it should be used as a big warning for CDPR. Making a game like Dragon Age Inquisition is the best way of turning a story-driven, tense and focused RPG into a monster of a mass-marketed, dumbed down, almost goal-and-focus-free game.

Don't take me wrong: I still kind of like the game. But I don't love it. I don't adore it. I even kind of hate it for it's huge waste of potential and focus. I'd rather play a much shorter and condensed game, focusing on its strengths than literally wasting a lot of my leisure time with mediocre content waiting for better stuff to come. And that's not a Dragon Age specific issue. When I look at Witcher 2 I see this dense world with a well staged storyline in regions that have a size which allows you for some freedom and exploration without giving up staging and pacing for example. When I look at Witcher 3 and its "huge open world approach" I just see the big danger of having another Skyrim clone for all the wrong reasons that doesn't fit to the actual game design you originally envisioned...

And in the end: isn't it better (at least from the point of view of a passionate game designer who loves his own work) to be loved by few than to be kind of liked by many?

Last edited:
Oh lord, I am NOT going through all of that. You people sure waste a ton of time trying to convince others a game is bad. That's a lot of effort to put into something you don't like. I like the game, many other people like the game. Even people who disliked DA 2 like the game. That doesn't sound like a dead developer to me.

You don't like it, that's fine. But declaring a game developer dead because of a game you dislike is comical.

Oh lord, I am NOT going through all of that. You people sure waste a ton of time trying to convince others a game is bad. That's a lot of effort to put into something you don't like. I like the game, many other people like the game. Even people who disliked DA 2 like the game. That doesn't sound like a dead developer to me.

You don't like it, that's fine. But declaring a game developer dead because of a game you dislike is comical.

What he said.

Sounds a lot like plain ignorance to me. You are free to disagree with me but I deserve at least the respect of not being belittled, don't you think? If you don't want to tackle my criticism, try ignoring it instead. There are a lot of reviews, praising the game. But criticism is not allowed or what? I shouldn't be able use/waste my time to come up with that after having played the game for more than 70 hours and spending 50€ on it? Because you say so or what? Or are you just afraid that I ruin your own gaming experiene with my hard critique? ;)

And you know, it's one thing to just talk about "taste". But there is also something like "game design" you can discuss on a more objective level (without becoming fully objective at any time). It's imo worth to discuss games to evaluate design approaches for future games. Good game developers do that all the time. And reasonable critique is often the best way to test your own game design and own design choices you've made...

But declaring a game developer dead because of a game you dislike is comical.
Bioware is dead FOR ME. That should have been quite obvious from the start. And the reason for that is not that they made a game that I personally dislike (which isn't even really true). It's because they seem to have forgotten everything they've learnt about good game design so far. And it's quite hard to imagine that this will change in the future.

By the way, you stated that "despite the PC port DAI is an awesome game". I just dared to respond to that opinion.

Last edited:
Throw whatever belittling comments you want, I don't care. Too busy actually enjoying my game.

Calling a developer dead isn't criticism, it's whining.

Throw whatever belittling comments you want, I don't care. Too busy actually enjoying my game.
I guess that's why you write so much on that topic here? If you were using your leisure time to play the game instead you wouldn't write here so much. You know, I've benn playing DAI for more than 70 hours now and I only wrote 3 posts here on the topic so far. So who is really wasting his time, hm?

Calling a developer dead isn't criticism, it's whining.
Writing to another person that you don't even read WHY he said what he said is plain disrespectful and you know that. I don't know what you problem is. Do you like Bioware that much that you can't bear criticism? In that case I apologize if I hurt your feeelings.

But I care that you disrespected my opinion and critique in the first place. I trie to explain why Bioware is dead to me but you don't care, you even tried to disrepect me further by calling me a whiner? Classy...and pointless since I've written a very long post to explain the statement. It's a very odd behaviour that you just ignore that and even belittle itand still ride about that one sentence I've said...

Anyway, my full critique is visible here for everyone who actually wants to know why I said what I've said and why I think that the game should serve as a big warning sign for CDPR and Witcher 3.

Last edited:
Haha, Cassandra and the book. That was funny. Then I went and drank a few qunari specialties with Iron Bull. He's really not that bad.

Haha, Cole is funny.

Last edited:
Haha, Cassandra and the book. That was funny. Then I went and drank a few qunari specialties with Iron Bull. He's really not that bad.

Haha, Cole is funny.
Funny, but odd. I only let him come with me honestly because I just wanted to see what everyone was like in the game. He felt like a forced addition. Same for Sera. Though I do like talking to her.

And Cassandra's reactions to practically everything is great, lol. Definitely my favorite.

I guess that's why you write so much on that topic here? If you were using your leisure time to play the game instead you wouldn't write here so much. You know, I've benn playing DAI for more than 70 hours now and I only wrote 3 posts here on the topic so far. So who is really wasting his time, hm?

I don't call discussing something I like and sharing my thoughts about it, negative and positive, a waste of time. I do call writing walls of text with your opinion that you treat as fact in a pathetic effort to proclaim a gaming company you dislike dead a waste of time. To each his own.

---------- Updated at 12:58 PM ----------

Solas really reminds me of Tolkien elves.

I don't really like Solas much, but I do respect him.

I don't call discussing something I like and sharing my thoughts about it, negative and positive, a waste of time. I do call writing walls of text with your opinion that you treat as fact in a pathetic effort to proclaim a gaming company you dislike dead a waste of time. To each his own.

I don't treat my opinions like facts, at least not more than everyone else or every other person talking about the topic. You would actually know that if you read my posts instead of judging on them without reading them.

And I didn't write my post "in a pathetic effot to proclaim a gaming company I dislike dead". I wrote about my critique of the game Dragon Age Inquisition. You're the one who pathetically tries to pin everything I say to that "Bioware is dead" sentence which isn't the core of my assessment but just a final conclusion to my personal prospect for future gaming procets of Bioware based on my experiences with their games so far. So please stop dismissing my posts for all the wrong reasons (especially if you don't even read them). That's disrespectful because you obviously don't have any interest in what I've actually writing (which you admitted yourself), just in dismissing it by pinning it to ONE bold sentence I've written. It's a very strange behaviour to just pick out one statement and ignore all the rest that has been said or written on the topic. That's typcially called cherry-picking and it's a very bad and faulty behaviour. If you want to continue with this behaviour please just ignore my comments at all. Thanks.

Lol you literally just stated "Bioware's dead", then when I said no they're not, you put out a bunch of bullet points that you presented not as your opinion, but reasons as to why they are "dead". I didn't go through all of it word for word, but I got the gist, which is good enough. Weasel around that statement if you wish. I'm not buying it. It was and still is pathetic, and now I'm moving on.

---------- Updated at 01:28 PM ----------

Also, you may have moved from that original statement, but I haven't. That is what I commented on, and that is what I'm still commenting on. Changing the core of your statement doesn't mean I'm bound to follow it.

---------- Updated at 01:38 PM ----------

:rofl: I just saw the funniest dragon age moment ever.

Varric and the others playing a game of cards, including Cullen. I won't even say what happens in the spoiler tag. No one should have that spoiled for them. I will say though that I literally laughed out loud :lol:

Solas really reminds me of Tolkien elves.
Everytime I see him he reminds me of Avatar The Last Airbender. He is just missing the blue tattoo and immature attitude.

I like Solace though. He is practical and wise, but also pragmatic. If I had to guess I would probably say he is a chaotic good character.

EDIT: On second thought, Solas is probably Lawful Neutral. He wants what is best for the world but doesn't really seem to care for the plights of the powerful or weak. He is just a silent observer.

Last edited:
Sera continues to stick out like a sore thumb... whoever wrote her... fail. She really shouldn't even be here. I figure they're trying to make her a robin hood type, but it fails.

Hmm... so I was thinking about characters' morality alignment. Correct me if you think any of this is wrong.

Lawful Good = Cassandra, Viviene, Josphine.
True Good = Dorian, Blackwall, Cullen.
Chaotic Good = Lelliana.
Lawful Neutral = Solas, Iron Bull, Morrigan.
True Neutral = Varric
Chaotic Neutral = Cole.
Chaotic Evil = Sera.

@Unkindled I didn't even recruit Sera. Amongst other things, her voice acting seems bad compared to other characters.

Last edited:
Sera isn't Chaotic Good. She's Chaotic Neutral if not Chaotic Evil I'd argue. I'd also argue the Iron Bull is Chaotic Neutral or Lawful Neutral.

Sera is a perfect reflection of the moronic biodrones.

Top Bottom