Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
@Unkindled

You aren't alone in terms of weirdness - far from it. I've been on the forums a fair bit and tracking patch releases, running framerate tests, overclocking, declocking, etc.

I've also seen a lot of weirdness - drops to 5 fps in a quiet zone, for example. Menu locks. Total freezes. I'm running a fairly robust system and all sorts of parameters - the framesim rate adjusted, MSAA both on and off, Origin on and off in the background, you name it. Windowed, fullscreen, borderless, etc.

I rarely crash out hard, but I get a lot of oddball framedrops and occasional sound issues.

This is typically running Mantle, but not always.

So, yeah. DAI...lots of issues.

Lord, same here. Went through all the tests, tweaks and fixes. Oddly enough, I can't even do borderless window fullscreen anymore. I changed that once, and crash crash crash, pretty much immediately.... Dunno why, that actually helped fix my game once. Now, I pretty much can't mess with the settings at all or something will fuck up. I was afraid to even turn off the vsync thing, but that evidently was a part of the issue.

I occasionally get an fps drop still, though it's random and not frequent. I keep thinking the game's about to freeze then, lol. I only finally got used to the game being ok enough that I can once again truly enjoy playing.

I think too many different things corrupt the game saves, especially altering graphics settings. Problem is, unlike in the good old days, the game doesn't say the save is corrupted. It just throws you in.

I also think there's a coding problem in the main menu. I noticed that my cpu temp stays the same, but the usage skyrockets to 100 percent when the game starts up, and occasionally when it loads. And oddly enough, decreases drastically when the actual game starts... ??? I think a noob coding issue is the problem with the majority of Dragon Age's issues. It's not surprising given the lazy console port that this is. And even the console versions are having issues. Obvious result of a game stretched over generations and platforms as well.

And top that off with lame ass DRM stuff and being unable to turn Origin off, even though everything I've seen shows that overlays of any kind mess with the game on some level, and it's no wonder the game's so unstable when you try to do basic shit PC gamers do on it.

---------- Updated at 06:52 PM ----------

Is anyone else annoyed that Bioware hasn't updated the game even once since release (on PC)? They know a lot of bugs since the day of release or since even before but fixing them ASAP? No way...

Actually, EA and Bioware are still much, much worse than Ubisoft. Unity got three patches that fixed a lot of big and small issues in the very same time Bioware wasn't able to fix even most basic issues. Very disappointing... :/

Very much annoyed, yes. BUT, if the reason there isn't an update yet is because they're being thorough in their tests for fixes, then I'm fine. If not, then it's BS and annoying. Even if my game is running fine now, I should be able to tweak the game and run other programs on it without worry of fucking crashes. That's ridiculous and completely unacceptable.

If it IS because they're just being thorough, then they need to say that and be vocal with the goddamn people that paid full price for their damn game. I paid an extra ten by accident, and I'm not even sure what exactly came with the damn extra ten dollars, lol. Don't decide to buy anything at 2 in the morning.

Countless number of glitches I had, anyone met mr. Hat under Skyhold?

And it seems Sheo likes to visit Thedas from time to time.

My Herald of Rivia Andraste loves to sleep during some conversations. :hmm:

I also think there's a coding problem in the main menu. I noticed that my cpu temp stays the same, but the usage skyrockets to 100 percent when the game starts up, and occasionally when it loads. And oddly enough, decreases drastically when the actual game starts... ???.

This is actually documented and, iirc, being addressed. The menu thing, I mean.

The noob coding and other crap..I dunno. At my resolutions, even a 3 or 4 FPS drop is annoying and if Denuvo is responsible...I guess I'll do nothing? Argh.

Recently mine seems fine, but I had to custom build a 6022x1498 resolution.

Last night, I tried everything on High and everything on Ultra...made like a 5 FPS difference. And then it rained...15 FPS or so drop. And then I restarted the game...all smooth, 30 FPS.

Just...weird. CPU useage jumps all around, GPU useage too...primary 290x runs 55-100%, Secondary runs 90-100%.

And while this is happening, I'll see anywhere for 5 to 40 FPS. In the same area. With and without rain and with and without Ultra settings. At 6400x1600 and sometimes even at 2560x1600.

This is actually documented and, iirc, being addressed. The menu thing, I mean.

The noob coding and other crap..I dunno. At my resolutions, even a 3 or 4 FPS drop is annoying and if Denuvo is responsible...I guess I'll do nothing? Argh.

Recently mine seems fine, but I had to custom build a 6022x1498 resolution.

Last night, I tried everything on High and everything on Ultra...made like a 5 FPS difference. And then it rained...15 FPS or so drop. And then I restarted the game...all smooth, 30 FPS.

Just...weird. CPU useage jumps all around, GPU useage too...primary 290x runs 55-100%, Secondary runs 90-100%.

And while this is happening, I'll see anywhere for 5 to 40 FPS. In the same area. With and without rain and with and without Ultra settings. At 6400x1600 and sometimes even at 2560x1600.

Oh yea, watching my nvidia gpu clock thing was pretty scary, lol. The MHz was all over the place, but rather consistent with the CPU spikes. What GPU do you have? Mine's a GTX 970, and unfortunately it has that boost clock thing that basically makes your GPU overclock on its own if your temps are fine. That's a rather funny joke, especially when Bioware said to "Try and not overclock your GPU". Yea, screw you buddy.

Lol my game's working fine, but the anger from before's still fresh, so excuse my unhappy tone :lol: And consider it anger for those who still haven't found fixes yet.

Very much annoyed, yes. BUT, if the reason there isn't an update yet is because they're being thorough in their tests for fixes, then I'm fine. If not, then it's BS and annoying. Even if my game is running fine now, I should be able to tweak the game and run other programs on it without worry of fucking crashes. That's ridiculous and completely unacceptable.
I agree that some technical issues like crashes ands stuff probably need thorough testing and investigation but there are also known issues from the very beginning like the constant repositiong of the picture to the characters you choose in the tac cam that would only need a simple fix. I don't think it's too demanding or entitled to ask for stuff like that being fixed ASAP as a paying customer of the first hour...

It can't be THAT hard to fix some basic known issues already and to release a first patch while implementing other fixes in another, upcoming patch once their found and done...

On another note:
I have an extremely overclocked GTX 970 and the game is just running rock-solid on max settings for me for most of the time so I doubt overclocking is the real issue here...

Last edited:
I agree that some technical issues like crashes ands stuff probably need thorough testing and investigation but there are also known issues from the very beginning like the constant repositiong of the picture to the characters you choose in the tac cam that would only need a simple fix. I don't think it's too demanding or entitled to ask for stuff like that being fixed ASAP as a paying customer of the first hour...

It can't be THAT hard to fix some issues already and release a first page while implementing other fixes in another, upcoming patch...

On another note:
I have an extremely overclocked GTX 970 and the game is just running rock-solid on max settings for me for most of the time so I doubt overclocking is the real issue here...

Actually, underclocking my gpu seemed to make the game more prone to crashes, lol. But then you have to wonder is it the underclocking or simply having that program up while playing, since that too messes with the game for some reason?

I think overclocking is only a problem for some. Me, the game's framerate used to drop really hard when it started the boost, but that was when I had some pretty awkward changes trying to figure out which settings was making the game crash. So I honestly don't know what to think, especially when the game overclocks now on its own and I'm doing just fine with similar settings to yours. The only thing not maxed is that last setting which they left on the second highest. Don't want to bother touching it since every time I mess with it now, crashes galore.

But they're the ones that said you shouldn't overclock it, and that's because Frostbite's known to have issues with it from its BF 4 days. So they're apparently aware of... something, lol.

---------- Updated at 07:23 PM ----------

That's what happened when I loaded the last autosave.

:rofl: There's an actual hat dude there? LOL. I was wondering what you were talking about :lol: Occasionally, I'll have skyhold load really slow and I'll see things come in as it's getting set up, but I never fell through the ground.

I'm running a Radeon 290x Crossfire set up. Primary card is currently o/c on Core and Memory, secondary is not. I've tried it at defaults and underclocked.

Overclocking is always going ot be unpredictable. If you're having issues, first thing you do is default clock everything. First thing. Some applications run fine, others go wonky and this can happen from identical O/c with identical hardware. Anyone who o/c knows it's a gamble.

That said, I'm also running a 3.3 ghz proc o/c to 4.2 ghz. Declocking it didn't help anyway. Like I said, mostly what helped is finding a resolution sweet spot for the card. No idea why my current one works and the other eight I tried were less stable.

My "technical" experience with the game:
Nvidia 770 2Go
Everything on at least High or sometimes Ultra.
120 hours of long gaming sessions (6 hours)
4 crashes and one I identified as being a directx issue. Not sure about the others.
Bugs making characters disappearing or myself stuck in a quest. Nothing that can't be solved by reloading the game.

Apart from that, everything's fine for me. The best experience I had with a "new gen" game (the others being Blackflag, Lords of the Fallen, BF4, Unity, Watch Dogs).

verything's fine for me. The best experience I had with a "new gen" game (the others being Blackflag, Lords of the Fallen, BF4, Unity, Watch Dogs).
Well, I agree when we only talk about performance. Other "technical" issues like PC controls are clearly worst in DAI. Every other game on your list has way better PC controls and navigation...

So the game is more stable but controls are much worse? Hm, I refuse to call that a good job or a good port. Actually I would even prefer it the other way round. I could live with some crashes and technical hiccups if the controls and navigation were at least well done... ;)

Non gamebreaking bugs I've had and still have are as you said, disappearing characters, dorian's undead minions messing with the game progress, and that loading issue in Skyhold, but for me it just means I have to wait a tad longer. I've honestly not seen many normal game glitch wonkiness, but I'm used to stuff like that from Skyrim anyway.

This isn't a glitch but something rather annoying is when those stupid dread demon guys fly away from the rift too far. If you go out to kill it, the rift will reset, lol. Thank God for the chain pull thing. Had two of them I tried to kill with my marker focus ability. One got killed instantly, and the other flew off just in the nick of time. Until I pulled his ass back in with chain pull :lol: God that was satisfying, lol. Instant death.

It's weird you guys are having all these problems. I guess I must be exceptionally lucky bc my game is running fine, I'm not noticing any sudden drops in fps and the game doesn't drop frame rates either as far as I can tell. I've only had one crash so far and that was on the main menu when I tried to adjust the sound... I have no idea why it froze at that point but it's only happened once and after that I had no issues.

Also I have absolutely no idea why people are complaining about PC controls. When I started DA:I I fixed the key bindings so that jump wasn't spacebar and spacebar was pause, and the controls are fine for me. From how some people have been talking I thought the controls would be annoying but they're fine.

It's weird you guys are having all these problems. I guess I must be exceptionally lucky bc my game is running fine, I'm not noticing any sudden drops in fps and the game doesn't drop frame rates either as far as I can tell. I've only had one crash so far and that was on the main menu when I tried to adjust the sound... I have no idea why it froze at that point but it's only happened once and after that I had no issues.

Also I have absolutely no idea why people are complaining about PC controls. When I started DA:I I fixed the key bindings so that jump wasn't spacebar and spacebar was pause, and the controls are fine for me. From how some people have been talking I thought the controls would be annoying but they're fine.

I thought the same thing too about the controls until I took it into a tough fight on hard against a bunch of templars. The camera works way different from a controller, and just adds a lot of extra unnecessary difficulty from the setup.

The main issue is the game feels and works more like an action adventure to me, and thus feels more suited to the controller, even if the camera worked properly on keyboard. The game design, console port or no, is simply better suited for controllers.

@Princess_Ciri It's weird. I'm not having problem either. I've only had 3 crashes in 60 hours and I have a bad frame rate in some zones. I'm playing on a laptop so if anyone is having problems it should be me :p

Last edited:
Well, I agree when we only talk about performance. Other "technical" issues like PC controls are clearly worst in DAI. Every other game on your list has way better PC controls and navigation...

So the game is more stable but controls are much worse? Hm, I refuse to call that a good job or a good port. Actually I would even prefer it the other way round. I could live with some crashes and technical hiccups if the controls and navigation were at least well done... ;)
Well when controls don't work with a keyboard or feel a bit clunky I usually plug a controller (AC are simply unplayable on a keyboard for me). I tend to do that for any third person game that doesn't involve accuracy. I know, once you use a controller for your PC game the game suddenly becomes a console game, but I don't consider myself a Paladin of the master race.
I had my share of game-breaking crashes with Lords of the Fallen and my share of technical "hiccups" with Unity and Watch Dogs. No thank you. My experience with Inquisition after that was a relief.

Last edited:
Well when controls don't work with a keyboard or feel a bit clunky I usually plug a controller (AC are simply unplayable on a keyboard for me). I tend to do that for any third person game that doesn't involve accuracy. I know, once you use a controller for your PC game the game suddenly becomes a console game, but I don't consider myself a Paladin of the master race.
I had my share of game-breaking crashes with Lords of the Fallen and my share of technical "hiccups" with Unity and Watch Dogs. No thank you. My experience with Inquisition after that was a relief.

What makes a console game are the restrictions. We have the option to choose. Nothing wrong with that, especially when the latter feels better for you.

I thought the same thing too about the controls until I took it into a tough fight on hard against a bunch of templars. The camera works way different from a controller, and just adds a lot of extra unnecessary difficulty from the setup.

The main issue is the game feels and works more like an action adventure to me, and thus feels more suited to the controller, even if the camera worked properly on keyboard. The game design, console port or no, is simply better suited for controllers.

I admit sometimes when I play I think "They didn't bother to tailor this to PCs because otherwise they'd have made it so I could click on things in the distance." Honestly that's the only thing that annoys me, the fact that I have to be right on top of something before I can click it. But it's a minor thing and people who are acting like this ruins the game are entitled babies.

That said, the tactical camera is laughably bad. I've tried using it maybe once or twice but thanks to the silly controls it takes forever to tell everyone to do something, and I don't think it really helps my fighting strategy, compared to DA:O.

@Princess_Ciri, It does for me. especially early on, which is why I'd be pissed initially if I didn't have a controller. Wouldn't be so bad if they didn't advertize it as a game that looks out for PC users. Yea, the game is more suited to controller naturally, but then when you look at simple shit like no take all option for loot with keyboard and mouse, it's obvious this was a lazy last minute tacked on control scheme that was barely tested. If at all.

I don't think you can call anyone an entitled baby after they paid 60 dollars for a game they were lied to about so blatantly. It's disgusting, really. All that little stuff adds up, especially when you hear how good controller users have it. You could almost say you're missing out on an entire game feature that they promised you for your purchase.

Last edited:
Top Bottom