What purpose do achievements serve?

+

What purpose do achievements serve?

• Yes. I strive to get each and everyone of them cuz.... bragging rights.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No. Completely useless

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Nice addition. They make me warm and fuzzy inside so I strive to get some but not all

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
Oh and about the achievements purpose, there aren't any, excepted for the fact of showing how big your dick is.

I don't have a dick ... but I suppose I could rip one off someone.
Volunteers?

The "achievement addicts" will be crazy, it'll actually be hella fun, everyone takes things too much seriously nowadays, I bet there will be loads of "CDPR are scamers with their fake achievements! F*** you!", and CDPR will be like "How's it feeling to waste your time on useless things?"

I like this idea.

Last edited:
That's what I'd like Cyberpunk to be, like a real "second life" with your character, sometime you'll just be bored, go to the bar, get drunk and fight with a random guy who trash talked you, or just doing shit because you're bored, and sometimes going in thrilling adventures.
I hope the multiplayer will play on this, being able to hang around with your crew in night city and mess around, seeing what happens, it's actually what the pnp is about, the few time you do "big" thing it's supposed to be something you'll remember, not "meh, I kill bad guys and save the world everyday", or even better, being able to be the bad guys and racket and annoy people around.

I did vote No... because I don't really like them, atleast not how most games use them. Also, none of the other options where close enough to reflect what I actually do when it comes to Acheivements.

In general I do not care about them... but some kinds of acheivements I don't mind to much, they just have to be worthwile. Take FTL for example, that is a game I have no problems with there being acheivements in them, because some of those (or a few together in a bunch) will unlock certain things about the game. Of course it can become to much with unlocking things with acheivements, so there needs to be a balance of that to. FTL does it about right I would say.

I do sometimes become a bit acheivement hunty, but that's just due to my particular nature as a gamer really, where I don't like leaving things behind. So seeing an acheivement slot left empty can be an annoyance for me, to such a degree that I will go out of my way to try and get it... it is especially annoying if said acheivement is also connected to playing the game in ways I do not like... like for example having to play a mage or other simmilar type of character. Some games I have goten all the acheivements in them, and most games I do not. It all depends on what kinds of acheivements are in the game. One thing I don't like though is getting popups in certain types of games about getting an acheivement, especially in games where I want my full attention on what is going on (like an FPS, or some other type of game where I don't really have time to focus on other things)... I also do not like those popups in games where they really do not feel like they fit... like for example in Fantasy rpgs, it just feels extreamly strange and unfitting to get a acheivement popup in the middle of such a game. I am less likely to be effected by that though in games where it would not seem to out of place in the world to get a popup, like in sci-fi games... still does not mean I like them though.

Actually... that is probably the thing I dislike the most about acheivements... that you get popups in the game telling you you got one. I would much rather have something like that be shown in maybe the Esc menue as you play, or maybe as you turn on or off the game or something... rather then right as your in the middle of playing the game.

Aside from the normal achievements, Fallout New Vegas had a neat way of "kind of" adding achievements to the gameplay -- giving small bonuses from dedicated usage of certain activities on top of normal character progression that helped further specializing the characterbuild. I didn't really care much for the execution since the inherited systems design was so lightweight to begin with, but the core idea was cool because it built towards the hands on experience rather than being useless reminder of what you just did.

I mostly ignore achievements because they're often for pointless tasks. But there's a few I'm proud of, like beating games on insane or winning ten online matches in a row in Street Fighter. The one that got away was beating Hard Reset on insane. Got to the last boss and I just couldn't fucking do it. I was new to shooters and I died over 800 times in that run. There should have been an achievement for that.

Top Bottom