What purpose do achievements serve?

+

What purpose do achievements serve?

• Yes. I strive to get each and everyone of them cuz.... bragging rights.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No. Completely useless

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Nice addition. They make me warm and fuzzy inside so I strive to get some but not all

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
Never on first playthrough.
May consider it on subsequent playthroughs, depends if they seem interesting.
Preferred type - on games like DX:HR, encouraging to try different ways of winning on a game that otherwise wouldn't justify a second playthrough.

And calling on @227. He loves achievements, and I'm sure he'll want to talk about this.

As far as I am concerned they serve no purpose and having them pop up as a hamfisted out of game congratulatory measure ("Your first 10 steps!" - "Done 10,000 damage!" - "Completed on hard!") to tell me I did a thing I just did is something I often find rather annoying. Can't really pinpoint exactly why I find it annoying, it just feels... off, out of context, something like that.

Last edited:
Depend the kind of game I play, in an adventure game / Fps (use 50 000 time your knife, etc...) I don't really give any importance to it.
I do try to make them when they require some kind of challenge, like in fighting game, winning a match without jumping, beating someone online in less than 30sec, doing a perfect, beating more than 200 people, doing 10 victory in a row, etc... it's actually fun, not necessary but it adds challenge if you dig the game, in other games, like the "congrat, you're smart enought to finish the tutorial,here is your achievement", it's kind of stupid and useless.

Shameless self-promotion time. (Prompted by a discussion with 227 on this a few years ago)

I remember having stumbled across this a few months back and thinking "I love whoever did this!"

So allow me to say THANK YOU Dragonbird !

As to achievements, I generally ignore them.

Forum veteran
And calling on @227. He loves achievements, and I'm sure he'll want to talk about this.
GRAHGARWARGARBLE

You kids and your achievements. Back in my day we played for the love of the game, not to receive a congratulatory popup from some cold, unfeeling digital distribution service. No, siree, we got our jollies from stories and mechanics, but kids these days are all about bragging rights and becoming e-celebs, so anything that they can whip out and use to feel slightly more self-important becomes important. They should only give out achievements to those who actually achieve something, but kids these days are so entitled. Why, we even used to play games without normal maps, but now if a game doesn't have HD360OcularDoodads implemented day-one, these whippersnappers won't give it the time of day! 3D models used to be pre-rendered and converted into sprites for our platformers, and we were lucky to even get that instead of some phoned-in mess of sprites. These young'uns have no appreciation for what came before or the frustration of clicking frantically around a screen to find an object too pixelated to actually see. And don't get me started on the trading cards! In my day we had actual cards, but now they're just meaningless digital curios randomly distributed during gameplay, a bunch of zeroes and ones for stupid people to lust over. I remember punching a kid in the face to steal his Charizard trading card back in the day. That's how we used to collect cards back before this achievement and card hoopla started. You want to know an actual achievement? Getting an NES cartridge to start on the first attempt. This digital ballyhoo has made kids so lazy that they think making it halfway through a game is an accomplishment. Back in my day, you know what we called that? Level 10. I once got electrocuted by an arcade machine. Best day of my life because it gave me a free continue, but these days, kids can save whenever they want and put off playing a game. Back in the good old days, we had ten seconds to give the game more money to continue, twenty max, or else surrender all progress to the arcade gods. Now kids are sad if they don't get a popup every ten seconds jerking them off for being a special snowflake. Brats, all of them.

On the other hand...

I'm such a hypocrite, though in my defense, all but three or so of those were unlocked accidentally and that was enough for my OCD to factor in.

Forum veteran
And have a REDpoint. You now have more than tutu, and he's been around for years.
Psh, everyone knows that REDpoints are meaningless (unless I have more than someone in which case they become massively important).

That Judas SMiki has more points than you and Sard combined, by the way. He's also currently winning that one thread. What's less than Judas?

[Sard Edit: No one really wins a thread against moderators, you know. No. ONE. Well, REDs do. But they cheat.

Anyway, so what you're saying is, you have less points than less than "Judas"? Hmm. HMMM.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!
And have a REDpoint. You now have more than tutu, and he's been around for years.

Is this a good time to mention I generally think of Red Points the same way I do achievements?

Now if they had some real value ... say if one collected say, oh, 250 over the course of a few months (to stop people from spamming each other points in the course of a few days/weeks) one would get an invite from CDPR to alpha/beta test CP2077 I'd change my tune completely.

Last edited:
I tend to ignore them, tend to piss me off really. They're typically something that's pointless. Only those games where an achievement might actually give you something useful in the game might I go hunting down an achievement. And not always even then.

Oh and about the achievements purpose, there aren't any, excepted for the fact of showing how big your dick is.
I don't even know why they put them in first place, you don't earn anything or whatever, you're just like "yeah, this guy has 10 achievements, I have 50, he sucks, I'm better, yay!"

I'd love Cyberpunk 2077 to "troll" the achievements like putting something you just can't do (like "kill every citizen in Night City"), or trying to tell people something they can do ("Congrat, you now can fly" - reached once you learn the flying skill), but just can't, so people will be like "Wow, I actually can fly? So cool".
Just like they pulled the "Kano Transformation" in Mortal Kombat 2 (when there aren't any Kano in the game, not even his sprites), but everyone (even today...) thought you could actually morph in Kano at some point in the game, that would be a nice joke to make with those useless stuff.

And being like "Yeah, people haven't discovered everything yet in the game" to keep people trying without any chance of success at it.

The "achievement addicts" will be crazy, it'll actually be hella fun, everyone takes things too much seriously nowadays, I bet there will be loads of "CDPR are scamers with their fake achievements! F*** you!", and CDPR will be like "How's it feeling to waste your time on useless things?"

Last edited:
To play the contrarian, achievements make me feel warm and fuzzy if properly used as a yard stick.

I generally ignore them but there are a few where I went:
" I did that? That's kind of cool."

Some of them are cheeky too.

Kill everyone in night city would be an awesome achievement if it's actually achievable. Or just kill every NPCs.

Something that is actually challenging but you wouldn't nescessarily strive for like:
"Kill someone at more then 800 meters" would be pretty cool, actually.

---------- Updated at 08:40 PM ----------

I gave you one, too. As a show of support for you and the REDpoint system! GO REDBITS.

I gave you a REDpoint out of protest.

Top Bottom