The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hands-on Video

+
First of all, I would like to thank CDPRED for posting this short vid. I commend you for the courage and I now understand why you pushed back the release of the game twice.
Annotation to the post - It's going to attemp critical analysis of the content (mixing praise with disaproval). If you don't want to read criticism or prasie as you see it as 'whinning' or 'yammering on about idiotic details' don't bother reading on. Thank you.

Now, into the analysis of this little fotage of gameplay we could see in the vid.
To start off, the general feelings. When I saw the gameplay I though at first it's just a pimp uped TW2. This is a dominant feeling I have after watching the vid. It is understandable becasue CDPRED claimed they are going to use upgraded RedEngine for the game but there's not much left for the ' the crowning achievment of the RPG genre'. Though, I do acknowledge that If this game would have been realesed as planned (mid 2014 or late 2014) it would prolly beat the competition to the punch. Bit it didn't and the blame is on CDPRED for building the unecessary hype.

Physics and combat looks so much similar as in TW2 but, in turn, a lot more natural.(rolling dodge is in the game -.-`,and let it be all I have to say about it) The horses moves very naturally so much better than in any other late 2014 game I've seen so far. Same can be said about the bear, even though the scene was short the movement of the grizzly deserves to be praised.
The physics and movements of the NPC (the one in the chair scene) is no better nor worse than those from AC:U or the new DA:I so there's nothing to be overlycritical about but again lefts nothing to praise either (the guy in chair scene was moving awkawdly a bit).

Gameplay also seems to be very reminiscent of TW2. For little that was shown it seem that camera work is okay, though little can be jugded from this (probably) pre recorded Harpy fight. As for the rest there's too little evidence to make an informed jugdement as of now.

As I stated a few lines up, If the game was released mid 2014 as planned graphically it would be a cracker. But mid 2014 I suppose it won't outshine the upcoming competition but for sure promises to be better than in DA:I or AC:U. Wet Geralt looked not that hot grahphically tbh.
Background seems to have taken a hit here, trees texture for example, though the naturality of it is arms and shoulders above those in, say, DA:I. I like the physics of trees in shore scene and there seem to be a diversity in the regional vegetation types overall ( in shore scene, riding scene and from previous trailers for example. Forests in DA:I in comparison feels so artifical it hurts sometimes to look at tress clusters especially). The furnishing of the chamber in chair scene felt quite believable. I like the portrait in background, and visible cracks on the walls. All in all very, very good.
Comparing it all to the latest trailers there's seem to be little to no difference in graphics. But I have to say this again it is not looking like ' the crowning achievemnt' in graphics in gaming history, sadly.

Conclusion: I am actually very posotive about the game and think the game is going to be really good. It might not blow the competition out of the water or deliver on 'the crowning achievemnt of RPG genre' but it could really pretend to the crown of one of the best AAA games of 2015. With that being said TW3 seems to be,only, a upgraded TW2 in many respects.

EDit:
A little sidenote. Why the heck in the trailer the gamepad was the only gaming controller people was using?
I am not a soldier in idiotic console vs PC war but I hope CDPRED will allow the press to test the game with mouse and keyboard set up. This is a warning CDPRED, don't go the console road please. Priming on consolezz moneyzz is not good for you. :)

Edit 2:
Witcher 3 was initially planned to release in late 2014, it was later pushed to February 2015 and now pushed a second time to May. I'm also curious to see a game from 2013 that comes even close to the visuals Witcher 3 promises. That's it, carry on.
Yes of course I made a typo, thank you. I meant mid 2014. Even though, we are all in 2015 already I still somehow got stuck menatlly in 2014. :)

Last edited:
First of all, I would like to thank CDPRED for posting this short vid. I commend you for the courage and I now understand why you pushed back the release of the game twice.
Annotation to the post - It's going to attemp critical analysis of the content (mixing praise with disaproval). If you don't want to read criticism or prasie as you see it as 'whinning' or 'yammering on about idiotic details' don't bother reading on. Thank you.

Now, into the analysis of this little fotage of gameplay we could see in the vid.
To start off, the general feelings. When I saw the gameplay I though at first it's just a pimp uped TW2. This is a dominant feeling I have after watching the vid. It is understandable becasue CDPRED claimed they are going to use upgraded RedEngine for the game but there's not much left for the ' the crowning achievment of the RPG genre'. Though, I do acknowledge that If this game would have been realesed as planned (mid 2013 or late 2013) it would prolly beat the competition to the punch. Bit it didn't and the blame is on CDPRED for building the unecessary hype.

Physics and combat looks so much similar as in TW2 but, in turn, a lot more natural.(rolling dodge is in the game -.-`,and let it be all I have to say about it) The horses moves very naturally so much better than in any other late 2013 game I've seen so far. Same can be said about the bear, even though the scene was short the movement of the grizzly deserves to be praised.
The physics and movements of the NPC (the one in the chair scene) is no better nor worse than those from AC:U or the new DA:I so there's nothing to be overlycritical about but again lefts nothing to praise either (the guy in chair scene was moving awkawdly a bit).

Gameplay also seems to be very reminiscent of TW2. For little that was shown it seem that camera work is okay, though little can be jugded from this (probably) pre recorded Harpy fight. As for the rest there's too little evidence to make an informed jugdement as of now.

As I stated a few lines up, If the game was released mid 2013 as planned graphically it would be a cracker. But mid 2014 I suppose it won't outshine the upcoming competition but for sure promises to be better than in DA:I or AC:U. Wet Geralt looked not that hot grahphically tbh.
Background seems to have taken a hit here, trees texture for example, though the naturality of it is arms and shoulders above those in, say, DA:I. I like the physics of trees in shore scene and there seem to be a diversity in the regional vegetation types overall ( in shore scene, riding scene and from previous trailers for example. Forests in DA:I in comparison feels so artifical it hurts sometimes to look at tress clusters especially). The furnishing of the chamber in chair scene felt quite believable. I like the portrait in background, and visible cracks on the walls. All in all very, very good.
Comparing it all to the latest trailers there's seem to be little to no difference in graphics. But I have to say this again it is not looking like ' the crowning achievemnt' in graphics in gaming history, sadly.

Conclusion: I am actually very posotive about the game and think the game is going to be really good. It might not blow the competition out of the water or deliver on 'the crowning achievemnt of RPG genre' but it could really pretend to the crown of one of the best AAA games of 2015. With that being said TW3 seems to be,only, a upgraded TW2 in many respects.

EDit:
A little sidenote. Why the heck in the trailer the gamepad was the only gaming controller people was using?
I am not a soldier in idiotic console vs PC war but I hope CDPRED will allow the press to test the game with mouse and keyboard set up. This is a warning CDPRED, don't go the console road please. Priming on consolezz moneyzz is not good for you. :)

Likely your expectations are simply a bit unrealistic......I'm shocked someone could generate such a critical gameplay and graphic analysis based on a video teaser trailer with maybe 20 secs of actual gameplay. i'm curious to see the short story you write after the 15 mins of new gameplay drops tomorrow :S.

@unclejoe One of the best criticisms I have seen here so far. I don't agree with most of the points, but the tone and the way you used is commendable, thank you for that :)

I just wanted to inform you about the point that you talked about in the "Edit" part. There were keyboard and mouse setups in the US leg of the event (You can see the photos of the test room in its respective thread). Therefore the press had the chance to test it using that setup, and we will be able to read their impressions tomorrow, with the NDA lifting. All in all, it would be better for both praisers and criticizers to wait for tomorrow for both the 15 minute gameplay, and the previews (Not from the bigger networks, but smaller ones who are more acclaimed in RPG games and Witcher series). Of course everyone should be able to convey their thoughts (as I do with praising the looks :) ), but we should refrain from talking as our thoughts are absolutely factual in these aspects :) (I am not pointing this part directly to you, there are people here and at the "Downgrade" thread who needs to think about it much before anyone else, in my opinion)

Regards to the forum, let's have a great day tomorrow! ;)

Last edited:
Like the one with Triss, but now with all beautifull girls of the Witcher 3 Wild Hunt. Geralt and other males -for girls version.

Though, I do acknowledge that If this game would have been realesed as planned (mid 2013 or late 2013) it would prolly beat the competition to the punch. Bit it didn't and the blame is on CDPRED for building the unecessary hype.

As I stated a few lines up, If the game was released mid 2013 as planned graphically it would be a cracker.

Witcher 3 was initially planned to release in late 2014, it was later pushed to February 2015 and now pushed a second time to May. I'm also curious to see a game from 2013 that comes even close to the visuals Witcher 3 promises. That's it, carry on.

@unclejoe
Gotta give you credit on much of what you posted. The one thing I fully agree with is an uncanny witcher2 vibe. The first very short glimpse inside the tunnel with the wraith, immediately made me think on an area in the witcher 2 (can't remember where, but you know it)
At least this time it might be much different. The jump from TW1 to TW2 was very..... odd in a way, at least for me. While I enjoyed it, because of the story most likely, the entire thing had this disconnected feeling.
I'm starting to like TW3 like christmas. It's not having the game yet, but building up to it. Where your imagination can run wild, if only some could separate the two.
-Time to wath TSOD again :)

@unclejoe
Gotta give you credit on much of what you posted. The one thing I fully agree with is an uncanny witcher2 vibe. The first very short glimpse inside the tunnel with the wraith, immediately made me think on an area in the witcher 2 (can't remember where, but you know it)
While I totally agree on this one, and it bothers me very slightly as well...should we really expect the game to look and feel that different? I mean, we already have a lot of new stuff compared to TW2 (open world, underwater, sailing, horses, jumping, crossbow, etc.). They created REDengine for TW2, it's kinda natural they just build upon that for the next iteration. And anyway, when you look at other popular franchises, like Batman or Assassin's Creed, don't they all have the same feeling?

Last edited:
While I totally agree on this one, and it bothers me very slightly as well...should we really expect the game to look and feel that different? I mean, we already have a lot of new stuff compared to TW2 (open world, underwater, sailing, horses, jumping, crossbow, etc.). They created REDengine for TW2, it's kinda natural they just build upon that for the next iteration. And anyway, when you look at other popular franchises, like Batman or Assassin's Creed, don't they all have the same feeling?
Beat me to it. I've seen this mentioned a few times, how TW3 feels like TW2, and these posts tend to have this vibe that this is a bad thing. But I don't get it - how many games in the same big franchise feel so different from one another? BioShock, AC, Arkham, Uncharted, DA arguably... the majority of big games don't do some radical change. The jump from TW1 to TW2 is rare, as was the jump from ME1 to ME2. And it was a necessary jump, because the first games in both franchises were a bit clumsy, gameplay wise, while the second games had a good foundation, which was refined in the third.

@unclejoe the main thing I disagree with is the premise behind this:
It is understandable becasue CDPRED claimed they are going to use upgraded RedEngine for the game but there's not much left for the ' the crowning achievment of the RPG genre'
From that quote of yours, and your post in general, I get the feeling that the graphics and how the game handles itself are the main factors of the said "crowning achievement" boast. To me, it's mostly about an open world game with a great story and a vast amount of consequences to it, of getting rid of fetch quests, of having the world react and of having very different monsters and interesting ways to beat them, instead of just making them bullet-sponges.

Even if the graphics prove to be mid-tier in the AAA league, this was never what I expected for TW3 to revolutionize. I certainly hoped, and still do, but it wasn't high on my priority checklist for TW3 accomplishments - certainly not above those other things I mentioned.

This isn't to say I have no doubt they'll deliver in every other aspect, yes? I think they overhyped the game with the marketing, but I still think it'll turn out to be one of the best, if not the best, RPG. From what we know, anyway.

Last edited:
Talking about promises, many games for not saying all the 2014 games promised so much and couldn't deliver that later in release.

Attachments

• 300HONEYGERALT.jpg
    300HONEYGERALT.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 30
@unclejoe I'm really not sure how you managed to make this critical analysis, since it was a mere 15 seconds of gameplay... As you stated yourself: "there's too little evidence to make an informed judgment as of now".

Furthermore, it's actually impossible for you to dismiss this game as not a "crowning achievement of the RPG genre". Only attendees of the press event have this ability because they are the only ones who personally experienced the story, in-game choices, level-up systems, etc. That's what an RPG is composed of, no?

I think that everyone here (fans and critics) simply have to occupy some time before release :) it's right to speak about the game and we're here for this, but we simply have not enough material to judge, as said. I praise criticism when it's polite and well done but still let's try to remember to stick to what we have and not build upon it

Last edited:
Top Bottom