TW1 and TW2 style finishers

+

• Yes precious. We wantz it. WE NEEDZ IT!

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Noes. Nobody liked them anyways and it's a waste of dev time.

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters

Since dismemberment system apparently replaced finishers from TW1 and TW2 I'd just like to suggest to the dev team to consider a finisher DLC in the future, that would re-instate elaborate and gory finishers from the previous games. They could be resolved like in skyrim - last enemy condition chance - triggered animations with Geralt slicing throats, tendons and arteries, snapping necks and all the coolness that went with it similar to TW1 and TW2. Whaddaya think?

Geralt performed one on an Ekhidna

That's only an ability to kill grounded enemies. I'm reffering to finishers like these

or these

Preferably the latter. Not as a cut-scene, or more in Shadow of Mordor style, where you still have control over camera.

That's only an ability to kill grounded enemies. I'm reffering to finishers like these

or these

Preferably the latter. Not as a cut-scene, or more in Shadow of Mordor style, where you still have control over camera.

Oh. TW1 style might still be in the game, since there are ones for enemies on the ground. Dunno about TW2's cinematic-style, though I would prefer TW1 style over TW2's. Would be weird to suddenly cut to a cinematic... no idea why but I can't imagine it going well with the recent gameplay we've seen. Or well, I can, but it feels off. Kind of like the Griffin hunt gameplay where at the end of the video the game suddenly cut to a cinematic.

No the TW2 style ones have been removed because they were inefficient, jarring, took away control from the player to play a cutscene and then placed you back, sometimes in very awkward situations where you would get hit because you're getting hit before you can control Geralt. Everybody complained about those.

Finishers exist but they're all integrated into gameplay, no faux-cutscene.

@thedeathrun

Cut-scene finishers seem to be gone and I'm glad. They broke the flow of combat too much and changed your position. I died more then once because I suddenly found myself being stabbed in the back afterwards. But TW1 non-cutscene finishers I'd like to see come back. Or better yet, handle them like in Shadow of Mordor - slightly cinematic camera angle but you still have full control over camera and they are short, so they maintain to be a fluid part of sword play.

---------- Updated at 12:05 PM ----------

Finishers exist but they're all integrated into gameplay, no faux-cutscene.

I'm worried because aside from cutting off limbs and stabbing grounded enemies a haven't seen a single finisher in any of released gameplay videos. More stabbing and slicing, and less chopping I would welcome gladly.

Last edited:
What sid said, although was there not mention of the very last enemy potentially ending with a finisher, thereby circumventing the major problem of random control loss. Also, related to the last man thing, wasn't it suggested Geralt could choose to let humans go sometimes once well beat ?

What sid said, although was there not mention of the very last enemy potentially ending with a finisher, thereby circumventing the major problem of random control loss. Also, related to the last man thing, wasn't it suggested Geralt could choose to let humans go sometimes once well beat ?

Yeah I recall something about enemies getting scared, letting loose all the feces they can muster, and consequently running as fast as they can away from Geralt. In that case you can just let them run. I would do it sometimes, to let them spread the word that the White Wolf ain't messing around.
:hai:

(I know they can't actually do that in the game but my imagination can't resist whoops)

(I know they can't actually do that in the game but my imagination can't resist whoops)

I wouldn't rule it out just yet, Damiens description of the branching event handler could well handle such things, consequences happening way down the road, and if I understood him right there would likely be some form of NPC persistence implemented, perhaps just persistence of achieved state rather than actual presence. Dunno, speculating here, and redkit3 may be able to do some real snazzy things over the life of the game, but by the time CP'77 comes out if my Media character can't do a pacifist run with the aid of his trusty Bowel Disrupter, I will be very sad.

View attachment 10759

Attachments

• spider_bdg.jpg
    spider_bdg.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 99
  • spider_prolapse.png
    spider_prolapse.png
    351.3 KB · Views: 132
I'm know I may get stoned for this but here it goes… AC 2 did kill animations perfectly imo, no cutscene, just a slight camera angle change, a quick gory animation of Ezio slicing through necks or bellies, elegant, simple and realistic(to a certain point) they could take that concept and integrate it easily with TW3's combat system, like every time you do a final blow on an enemy theres a chance of triggering a 1-2 second kill animation animation, if they did them really quick it wouldn't interrupt the flow of combat.
Heres hoping for it in DLC!

I'd like a finisher skill with three levels under the miscellaneous tier where it gets progressively more awesome with every level. The first stage would be the types of finishers we've seen so far in TW3 and then some, the second having better animations and being more cinamatic such as SoM, and the third with even better animations and cinematics with slow mo like Skyrim.

Wasn't the slicing through humanoids (cutting them in half, removing heads etc. etc.) the finishers in TW3? I recall the reason we saw them all the time in the gameplay footage was because they had a setting that made every kill critical so they could present the feature to particular industry-related dudes. So I suspect any and all speculation/desires for special TW1/SoM/AC finishers are all mod hopes and dreams?

imo, I'm pretty happy with getting a critical, disemboweling someone and then letting his comrades make a dash for it.

I'm also excited to discover what kind of gruesome finishers are reserved for non-humanoid creatures. I saw the griffon video and I think that may have been made only for the presentation? I'm sure CDPR wouldn't take killing a griffon away from the player like that-- it was more cinematic/dramatic than I would have expected in game.

Time will tell, but yeah ME SoM is pretty bad ass.
I hate to say it, but some AC games do have some nice finishers too.
Maybe we will have a cinematic On/Off option for finishers also, but who knows.
Yes, I want to cut that griffin's head off and other such monster/bandit limbs.
SoM would have been way cooler, with the options to turn off hud and minimap to the point of clean screen.
Having to look at those stupid white cartoony stars over a downed enemies head, sucked.
Those kinds of effects are way out of place and look hella lame.
Oh... and the cheesy combo xp counter points, needed an off switch too.
CDPR, now you know what to do better by not doing what they did. :)

Okay back to topic....

Last edited:
I believe it makes sense for finishers to be a skill since we already have ones like blocking arrows, It's also good for those people complaining about too much dismemberment and the like. If we have to build Geralt up to be his true self throughout the game than we might as well have to unlock that too, and the people who don't want it don't have to have it. Although some dismemberment should still be allowed regardless of having the skill, it would be interesting to see how an enemy reacts to having a limb cut off.

I think finishers add a certain flair to combat. I hope they add a good bunch of finishers, how they did it in games like shadow of mordor witcher 1 or skyrim. Finishers are epic, I would prefer finishers and dismemberment so I hope they made it kinda like the witcher 1 style finishers

Top Bottom