Witcher 3 Gameplay from GDC and PAX

+
I don't know about you but I've seen this video in 4 different websides, at least. And in every one the HUG/saturation has changed.

Which I am not going to even begin to argue with you about. My point was there is no downgrade, and there has never been one.
Pro tipp: not calling another person's preference "crap" usually helps if you want to strengthen your point that you don't want to argue with somebody about opinions... ;)

But yes, the downgrade discussion is somehow mislead because people constantly mixing up subjective opinions and technical facts in a situation in which we have little hard facts after all and all we can rely on are some short predefined gameplay sections and how we experience and visualize them. It's not like someone has access to the engine's sourcecode and its implementation and could state for sure that the stuff is not much more sophisticated and better than a few months back in every possible way. So much of what we talk here is in fact subjective, based on our own opinion and how we see the gameplay and the progress of the visuals and atmosphere in the game. If you don't see that this is important to a lot of people in this "downgrade" discussion you can't participate properly in it imho. It's just a constant misinterpretation of other people's posts...

I don't know about you but I've seen this video in 4 different websides, at least. And in every one the HUG/saturation has changed.
I'm not sure if I can follow you, sorry. And what's HUG?

The shit abyss thread?

Yeah,it's a sensitive topic, this downgrade stuff. Nearly as fire-starting as other topics around here like politics, hair colour (!?), cultural flashpoints and whether or not Reptile looks human without clothes.

In many ways, it's not the topic that causes the problems - it's the emotional responses of the posters. That's actually the problem with nearly all the VERBOTEN subjects on boards. Reptile's nudity is, of course, immediately horrifying.

At a certain point, topics become too much trouble to leave up for discussion. Complaints fly and angry rebuttals/rehashed position dominate. This may be a form of censorship, but what it actually reflects is the value of time moderators and admins apply to their day. Refereeing angry shoutfests isn't really what we do. Not for long, anyway.

When we do do it, we try to keep it one place, for obvious reasons. http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/34018-Graphic-downgrade?p=1559352#post1559352 for current downgrade conversations. Until people get to "that point", of course.

Last edited:
Yeah,it's a sensitive topic, this downgrade stuff. Nearly as fire-starting as other topics around here like politics, hair colour (!?), cultural flashpoints and whether or not Reptile looks human without clothes.

In many ways, it's not the topic that causes the problems - it's the emotional responses of the posters. That's actually the problem with nearly all the VERBOTEN subjects on boards. Reptile's nudity is, of course, immediately horrifying.

At a certain point, topics become too much trouble to leave up for discussion. Complaints fly and angry rebuttals/rehashed position dominate. This may be a form of censorship, but what it actually reflects is the value of time moderators and admins apply to their day. Refereeing angry shoutfests isn't really what we do. Not for long, anyway.

When we do do it, we try to keep it one place, for obvious reasons. http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/34018-Graphic-downgrade?p=1559352#post1559352 for current downgrade conversations. Until people get to "that point", of course.

That being said the game is looking damn fine, but I would appreciate some footage of the PS4 version as it's looking like I will be getting it for the PC, and the console do to personal circumstances.

Reptile's nudity is, of course, immediately horrifying.

Wait, he's sent you nudies too? He told me that I was special and that I was the only one... :cry:

As far as the gameplay goes it looks decent. I'll be a happy camper if I can turn off all the hand-holding features such as the mini-map and Witcher senses, etc. Minimal UI without having the game slap me in the face and say "look, idiot, this way!" would be optimal. My deductive reasoning skills are adequate enough that I find these type of mechanics to be a bit silly and following a glowing trail from point A to point B doesn't make for very exciting gameplay.

Reptile downgrade? I want a proof of it!

Anyone knows that Reptile looks horrible when he wears clothes.

@GHOSTMD I drink but I'm don't drunk! And I mean HUE, anachronic term, I know but it what I meant.

@serxho92... love is in my air, obviously... I'm a haippycat

Last edited:
That being said the game is looking damn fine, but I would appreciate some footage of the PS4 version as it's looking like I will be getting it for the PC, and the console do to personal circumstances.
I hope we get the gameplay not only for Ps4 but for XboxOne also. Since the second live Q&A at PAX was cancelled maybe we'll get something .

@serxho92 ... love is in my air, obviously... I'm a haippycat
i know i know, i was just jealous :p

Wait, he's sent you nudies too? He told me that I was special and that I was the only one... :cry:

As far as the gameplay goes it looks decent. I'll be a happy camper if I can turn off all the hand-holding features such as the mini-map and Witcher senses, etc. Minimal UI without having the game slap me in the face and say "look, idiot, this way!" would be optimal

Stop crying. Don't make me slap you harder.

The gameplay looks satisfying to me and better than Witcher 2, frankly. As it should.

I...godican'tbelieveimsayingthis..I might use the minimap and hand-holding features.

DOn"T HATE ME. I'm STILL HARDCORE. I swear. Ish.

Look. Did you see the SIZE of that world? They talked about how none of the journalists got out of the prologue area...after FIVE HOURS.

I have a finite lifespan. Which I know makes many of you deeply relieved. In this finite lifespan, I have things to do.

I would rather use the helpers for children and old people as opposed to spending...80? 200? hours wandering around and still not see everything.

I admit I've only recently come to this realization after playing Thief 4 with all the helpers turned off and getting stuck, ( a lot), AND after seeing W3 gameplay.

The world. It's just.Too.Big. I mean that in a good way! But still. I want to advance the story, STILL the number one reason I play CDPR games, not die of old age because I got lost half way to the objective.

Stop crying. Don't make me slap you harder.

The gameplay looks satisfying to me and better than Witcher 2, frankly. As it should.

I...godican'tbelieveimsayingthis..I might use the minimap and hand-holding features.

DOn"T HATE ME. I'm STILL HARDCORE. I swear. Ish.

Look. Did you see the SIZE of that world? They talked about how none of the journalists got out of the prologue area...after FIVE HOURS.

I have a finite lifespan. Which I know makes many of you deeply relieved. In this finite lifespan, I have things to do.

I would rather use the helpers for children and old people as opposed to spending...80? 200? hours wandering around and still not see everything.

I admit I've only recently come to this realization after playing Thief 4 with all the helpers turned off and getting stuck, ( a lot), AND after seeing W3 gameplay.

The world. It's just.Too.Big. I mean that in a good way! But still. I want to advance the story, STILL the number one reason I play CDPR games, not die of old age because I got lost half way to the objective.

I agree that gameplay looks better than TW2. But I don't see much point in having an open world if you're just going to follow a narrow path regardless (by going directly from point A to point B). If the big, open world is filled with plenty of things to see and do (as opposed to being mostly empty and void of content) then I am very much looking forward to becoming lost in the game. I'm hoping that by getting lost I'll get to see some unexpected things that surprise me. Hopefully exploration and adventuring are worth it so that the main objective of the game isn't simply to follow a narrow path (much like you were forced to do in TW1 and 2).

I'm hoping that by getting lost I'll get to see some unexpected things that surprise me. Hopefully exploration and adventuring are worth it so that the main objective of the game isn't simply to follow a narrow path (much like you were forced to do in TW1 and 2).

Ahh..TW1 was less narrow. I wandered. TW2..yeah.

Look at 4:51 in the Pax trailer, that Royal Wyvern fight. I'll probably reload five or six times on that fight, unless I do it perfectly the first time.

Now math it out times fifty. Yeah. That's a loooot of time spent reloading. And why? I love the fights! I want to see how things turn out depending on what I do.

Now look at 7 minutes in, when he's on the horse looking down at the water. That's..that's a lot of world. PRetty sure I'll still be surprised by what I meet, even if I use quest helpers and map markers to find where I'm going. And I like exploring, but I like fighting and storylines more, so I dunno. I think I'll have to use the darn markers.

I feel weak.

And then there's fast travel, which I sneer at and always ignore. Maaay have to change that policy.

What I'm saying here, is, DON'T GET OLD. Or busy. Yes.

Oh look! 10 WEEKS and 2 days! We're back to where we were late last December! That wasn't so bad, was it?

Top Bottom